• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I really wish the game let you do more than just pan around while paused. Being able to lay blueprints or at least view building/resource info would be so useful when things get hectic.

Fair point, and something we hear a lot. Unfortunately it is a bit of a tricky technical topic to hold the rest of the game while letting the player keep building stuff, as that was never originally intended.

Are any more addons or dlc planned?

Yes, we are currently working on some new content and features for 2020.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Yes, we are currently working on some new content and features for 2020.
Nice!
Is it in any way possible to expand to new areas? I.e. a new "New World" sector to conquer?

Anyway, as Anno 1800 is a gorgeous game I thought I would share my creation.

I left the Old World behind it is in a reasonably safe equilibrium throwing off up to $10k. Once that was set I moved to Cape Trelawney.

My main capitol with the Investor blocks front and center. Once I realized the upper classes no longer need pleb stuff like markets and churches they were moved to the back of the city to where the commoners live...
6LU5Oht.png

Even zoomed in it looks really pretty! The power lines can be quite hideous though when you plaster an area with cobbled roads... 😬
wp96wTK.png

Better view of the harbor, lots of fishing going on there... They are providing for 50k people. 😜
l0odVOM.png

Rolling hills of wheat overlooking the city. (more fisheries in the background. I love the fact that one can freely place the fields now (as opposed to the Anno's of old), I have long strips to reach the edge of the map and then utilize as much area as possible that would else wise be wasted.
XBPVBYQ.png

Beer and bread being harvested out back.
tGlqU1S.png

All the metal works have been moved to one island. All the raw materials are sent from all over the continent to this one island where they are refined and then sent on to the main island.
djrXttc.png

One of the many small islands without a population just working off their standard island population once they get their own harbor.
2DaoVen.png

I feel like a dirty colonialist by just using the New World to farm coffee, cotton and rum for my empire to gobble up.
pXsXyHi.png

It is really hard to get a balance that works in the arctic. I have torn down the entire island twice to rebuild it from scratch to try and make it work....
They get schnaps, coal and brass from the old world to even have a chance at surviving out there...
o052260.png

Trying to settle a glacier for that sweet sweet natural gas is also a pain in the backside. They are very finicky and as you can see one refinery recently exploded. I have yet to replace it as they are short on workers already...
cpMB9o3.png

Electricity is currently a big weak spot of my main island. Trying to rely on clean natural gas is proving perilous and unreliable. I might have to suck it up and run a train with dirty oil through my main city.... 😢

I have basically spent a majority of my winter vacation building this city. - No regrets. 😝😜😘

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got this during the Christmas sales including the season pass. I already played a few hours with friends and started the campaign now. Glad it's back on track after the not so great reception for 2070 and 2205. I actually liked 2070, but it wasn't as great as 1404. Never played 2205 but it didn't look very "Anno" to me. 1800 seems just as great as 1404 so far!

I am sad that this gets ignored in all the GOTY talk. Feels like most people already forgot that it came out this year or is it just me?

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Finally got this during the Christmas sales including the season pass. I already played a few hours with friends and started the campaign now. Glad it's back on track after the not so great reception for 2070 and 2205. I actually liked 2070, but it wasn't as great as 1404. Never played 2205 but it didn't look very "Anno" to me. 1800 seems just as great as 1404 so far!

I am sad that this gets ignored in all the GOTY talk. Feels like most people already forgot that it came out this year or is it just me?
It's the only 2019 game I've played. So it's my goty regardless. 😅
i also really liked 2070.

Deleted member 51646

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Fair point, and something we hear a lot. Unfortunately it is a bit of a tricky technical topic to hold the rest of the game while letting the player keep building stuff, as that was never originally intended.
That's totally understandable. It's something that I expect to be less of a problem over time as I learn the building sizes/layouts and get used to switching between zones, but right now that is very slow. The part that makes it really tough is using the new 1x1 farm plots to maximize use of irregularly shaped areas. I love it, but it takes so much time to do right.
One thing that might be easier and almost as good is a much slower .25x or even .1x game speed. I think some of the previous Annos had this, but I only see ways to go faster in 1800.

City building games have unfortunately always been very niche but it's definitely in my top 10 even after only 20 hours. Maybe some German outlets gave it more recognition? Anno has always been more popular there.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
Time just evaporates in this game. Somehow just had a 5 hr session with a friend. We're still completely new but we're really having a good time progressing. I really like the building curve it has. We've only made it to artisan tech so far.

edit: Annnnd there goes another 1h30 playing the campaign. I'm digging the campaign. A nice little story that embeds a tutorial that doesn't feel like it's beating you over the head. Good stuff. Highly recommend picking this up now that it's currently on sale and if you're looking for a strategy/sim game to add to your collection. Good stuff indeed.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Nice!
Is it in any way possible to expand to new areas? I.e. a new "New World" sector to conquer?

Anyway, as Anno 1800 is a gorgeous game I thought I would share my creation.

I left the Old World behind it is in a reasonably safe equilibrium throwing off up to $10k. Once that was set I moved to Cape Trelawney.

My main capitol with the Investor blocks front and center. Once I realized the upper classes no longer need pleb stuff like markets and churches they were moved to the back of the city to where the commoners live...
6LU5Oht.png

Even zoomed in it looks really pretty! The power lines can be quite hideous though when you plaster an area with cobbled roads... 😬
wp96wTK.png

Better view of the harbor, lots of fishing going on there... They are providing for 50k people. 😜
l0odVOM.png

Rolling hills of wheat overlooking the city. (more fisheries in the background. I love the fact that one can freely place the fields now (as opposed to the Anno's of old), I have long strips to reach the edge of the map and then utilize as much area as possible that would else wise be wasted.
XBPVBYQ.png

Beer and bread being harvested out back.
tGlqU1S.png

All the metal works have been moved to one island. All the raw materials are sent from all over the continent to this one island where they are refined and then sent on to the main island.
djrXttc.png

One of the many small islands without a population just working off their standard island population once they get their own harbor.
2DaoVen.png

I feel like a dirty colonialist by just using the New World to farm coffee, cotton and rum for my empire to gobble up.
pXsXyHi.png

It is really hard to get a balance that works in the arctic. I have torn down the entire island twice to rebuild it from scratch to try and make it work....
They get schnaps, coal and brass from the old world to even have a chance at surviving out there...
o052260.png

Trying to settle a glacier for that sweet sweet natural gas is also a pain in the backside. They are very finicky and as you can see one refinery recently exploded. I have yet to replace it as they are short on workers already...
cpMB9o3.png

Electricity is currently a big weak spot of my main island. Trying to rely on clean natural gas is proving perilous and unreliable. I might have to suck it up and run a train with dirty oil through my main city.... 😢

I have basically spent a majority of my winter vacation building this city. - No regrets. 😝😜😘

Looks great! I played through the campaign in this and have been meaning to go back to the sandbox mode but haven't managed it yet, these screens I think are the motivation I needed.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa

Anno tends to traditionally pick up a lot of awards in Germany (as we are currently doing), but usually less so abroad. Though we were extremely happy and honored to be nominated at the Game Awards this year!

But for some reason, Anno tends to get overlooked by a lot of American media especially, despite being a Ubisoft title. C'est la vie :)

Last edited:

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Anno tends to traditionally pick up a lot of awards in Germany (as we are currently doing), but usually less so abroad. Though we were extremely happy and honored to be nominated at the Game Awards this year!

But for some reason, Anno tends to get overlooked by a lot of American media especially, despite being a Ubisoft title. C'est la vie :)
You have my sword!

Time just evaporates in this game. Somehow just had a 5 hr session with a friend. We're still completely new but we're really having a good time progressing. I really like the building curve it has. We've only made it to artisan tech so far.

edit: Annnnd there goes another 1h30 playing the campaign. I'm digging the campaign. A nice little story that embeds a tutorial that doesn't feel like it's beating you over the head. Good stuff. Highly recommend picking this up now that it's currently on sale and if you're looking for a strategy/sim game to add to your collection. Good stuff indeed.
Yea, time is nothing in this game, there is always one more production chain to build up or optimize before bed. 😜

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Man, fuck the Investor class. They are freaking insatiable, just like in real life...
I've built so many eyewear and light bulb factories, not to mention the amounts of coffee they are gobbling up...

giphy.gif

Com_Raven, I would like to request that we be able to settle additional new-worlds and additional new maps overall. I am starting to run out of space but cannot be arsed to start again from scratch. 😝

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Is there a way to see an overview of all my items and persons of interest? I cannot remember what and who I put where. I seem to have lost some things that I am trying to find...

oPvNalu.png

giphy.gif

9bgKNTi.png

VywxQfV.gif

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Not liking the arctic expansion at the moment. What's up with the ovens? How many do I need for how many houses? My settlers keep leaving and it never goes above "cold" in their houses. Any recommended layouts for the arctic?

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Not liking the arctic expansion at the moment. What's up with the ovens? How many do I need for how many houses? My settlers keep leaving and it never goes above "cold" in their houses. Any recommended layouts for the arctic?
The Arctic is significantly more tricky. But as long as you have a heating station closely connected to all houses you should be fine. Each heating station requires on steady source of coal.
my problem was thelimited space so not sure how much a recommended layout works.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The Arctic is significantly more tricky. But as long as you have a heating station closely connected to all houses you should be fine. Each heating station requires on steady source of coal.
my problem was thelimited space so not sure how much a recommended layout works.
Yeah it seems to work now. I don't know what the issue was. Still not really enjoying the small spaces and limited resources. But I guess that's part of the challenge ;) Have to ship in more stuff from the main land.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Yeah it seems to work now. I don't know what the issue was. Still not really enjoying the small spaces and limited resources. But I guess that's part of the challenge ;) Have to ship in more stuff from the main land.
Once I was done with the main quest there I ignored it. Not my jam. Just let me sprawl out on the Cape

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
How is one supposed to (reliably) get legendary animals/flowers/artifacts for ones museums?
I've bought everything possible from M Kahadina, but she only seems to carry stuff up to rare. I am missling like two dozen mostly legendary or epic artifacts. Going on expeditions and holding expositions seems like a huge gamble and rarely yields something I don't already have... 😢

WAdaU72.png

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw this was on sale on the Epic Game Store. I really wished I tried the beta or free weekend because I'm still not sure how well my computer will handle this game.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Yeah that's what I have, it's a decent laptop (not high dollar but still decent when I bought it), no on-board graphics or anything like that.

Unfortunately I'm not good enough with computer specs to know if mine out pace the minimums listed on the website haha.
Well, that's easy enough to rectify.
Under the start menu just into "my computer" and post a screenshot or specs here

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, that's easy enough to rectify.
Under the start menu just into "my computer" and post a screenshot or specs here

Intel Core i5-8250u 3.4ghz
Nvidia MTX150 2GB
8 GB RAM
500 GB SSD

I'm assuming I'm a bit below the "minimum" listed on the Epic store. Which is why I've held off on buying it. I own Age of Discovery (or whatever the Anno on Steam is called) and I like it, but I can tell 1800 has much better options.

I just really want to play the updated Anno 1800 lol

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
You should keep an eye out for any future Free Test Week(ends), which would give you another opportunity to see how the game runs for you!

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm kinda burned out on this (for now). But still really have the city builder itch.
Anyone got any recommendations? In this genre I haven't played anything but Cities Skylines, Tropico 5 or Anno (18 & 20) in the last decade.

Last edited:

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Watching anno vidoes always makes me think I'm playing the game wrong. I never have space to put down ornaments or build the vastly inefficient but incredibly beautiful cities you see In the videos. I need every inch of space just to fit everything in!

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Com_Raven I am unclear on this. Does the gold edition include S2 already?

No, the Gold Edition only includes the Season 1 Pass.

Watching anno vidoes always makes me think I'm playing the game wrong. I never have space to put down ornaments or build the vastly inefficient but incredibly beautiful cities you see In the videos. I need every inch of space just to fit everything in!

There are two main groups of Anno players- the min-maxers, and the "beauty builders". A lot of players don't care about how pretty the city is, and only about the maximum number of citizens they can get, or making their economy as efficient as possible. For our trailers, we do of course want to show pretty cities, even if they are less efficient :)

The description on the Complete Edition on EGS says it includes S1 and S2 (price 99.99)

I'm hoping the pre load will be available on EGS but I'm not familiar enough with the platform to know if they even do that.

I think you can grab the Free Weekend build from EGS here: https://www.epicgames.com/store/de/product/anno-1800/free-trial

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Especially when you reach Cape Trewlawny you can be very generous in leaving space between the housing and indusrty of your island, which can then later be beautified once you need a break from optimizing your production routes.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time I add the Demo to my cart on the EGS I get a "product activation error" message.

I sent in a ticket but no idea if or when I'll hear back.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so tired of the 40 store fronts and bullshit on PC. So i can't download the free demo on EGS unless my EGS account is linked to my Ubisoft account, but I can't link my accounts unless I own a Ubisoft game already......

I've spent the last hour trying to figure this out, I'm literally this close to being done with this fucking game at this point.

Edit: So i finally linked my Ubi and EGS accounts, and guess what....the demo still won't fucking activate on either platform. I'm done.

Last edited:

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Every time I add the Demo to my cart on the EGS I get a "product activation error" message.

I sent in a ticket but no idea if or when I'll hear back.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience! There was unfortunately a delay with getting the pre-load on EGS live, though it has been up for Uplay since Monday. Keep in mind though that the free weekend only starts tomorrow, so not being able to play it yet is intended. Let me know if you need help with anything.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience! There was unfortunately a delay with getting the pre-load on EGS live, though it has been up for Uplay since Monday. Keep in mind though that the free weekend only starts tomorrow, so not being able to play it yet is intended. Let me know if you need help with anything.

No I was just trying to pre load it, I'm thinking something is wrong with my account because I can't even get it to start downloading on the Uplay app. I put in a ticket but who knows how long that will take so we will see if it's resolved before the weekend ends at this rate.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
No I was just trying to pre load it, I'm thinking something is wrong with my account because I can't even get it to start downloading on the Uplay app. I put in a ticket but who knows how long that will take so we will see if it's resolved before the weekend ends at this rate.

In EGS or on Uplay? If you open Uplay, there should be a prominent Free Weekend banner, and the game should also appear in your library under "Free Games".

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In EGS or on Uplay? If you open Uplay, there should be a prominent Free Weekend banner, and the game should also appear in your library under "Free Games".

Yeah it won't install on Uplay, keeps giving me an error. I don't know if it's because I linked my EGS and Uplay accounts and then tried to mess with it on EGS first or what. I sent the error code to Uplay customer support and am waiting to see if they can fix it.

It's essentially telling me I'm not authorized to download the demo, same as on EGS but with a different error message obviously.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Yeah it won't install on Uplay, keeps giving me an error. I don't know if it's because I linked my EGS and Uplay accounts and then tried to mess with it on EGS first or what. I sent the error code to Uplay customer support and am waiting to see if they can fix it.

It's essentially telling me I'm not authorized to download the demo, same as on EGS but with a different error message obviously.

Hey, could you send me your Uplay name via private message?