• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
If someone here is part of the dev team. Could you please get this message to the right person. Thank you.

I'm trying to load up a multiplayer save to play by myself. But it forces me to play as the host's character instead of my original character. I'm able to go back to my original only if my buddy is on with me.

So could you either make it so that we can choose who to play when loading a multiplayer save, or just force the system to make us play our original character.

sora2k7

Oct 28, 2017
Potential crashes with Dx 12 are a known issue we are working on. If you are having unusually low performance on Steam, I'd for now suggest trying to see if it is better while being in offline mode while we work on a fix for the issue.

Don't forget about the quests disappearing bug it making it impossible to start new quests. I see the star but clicking does nothing.

And thanks for being awesome

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Got a chance to spend a few hours with the campaign this evening and really enjoying it. It's a gorgeous looking game, and now that I've had a few 'starts' under my belt between the Closed and Open Betas, I feel like the early game is going super smooth.

Performance was a bit... blah? Worse than I recall from the betas. Did the usual - update drivers, dial back some features, knock down some resolution, and it still was performing sub-optimal. I did some digging online, and someone recommended turning off AA entirely, which I thought was odd but gave it a shot and it got me a rock solid 60fps. Game still looks good too!

Not sure if there is an issue with the AA or what, but it's weird that even set to 2x AA causes the performance to be really wobbly where having it off entirely it plays like I'd think it should given my setup. Again weird - but I've got it sorted now and the game still looks good. Not like a city builder needs crazy high FPS, but the hiccups and unevenness of the performance before was detracting from the game. As as it's mostly stable I'm happy!

With that all out of the way, I'm really looking forward to digging into it more and getting into the stuff that wasn't in the betas. Had to force myself to stop playing tonight as I've got a big work thing bright and early tomorrow, but I can already tell this is going to eat HOURS of of my life. Happily so!
If you want to, you could always disable the AA in game and try forcing AA through Nvidia control panel and see if that helps

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Played a couple of hours yesteday evening, fantastic game so far! It's the perfect game to just relax to after a day of work.

And like many city builders I'm over ambitious with my city and I''m barely making a profit and low on workforce.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Played a couple of hours yesteday evening, fantastic game so far! It's the perfect game to just relax to after a day of work.

And like many city builders I'm over ambitious with my city and I''m barely making a profit and low on workforce.
Welcome to the bankrupt gang!

Now that I understand the game a bit better, I'm seriously thinking about just deleting my 6 hour save from yesterday and starting the campaign again. I'm almost certain that I could get to where I am now in less than two hours.

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
Well they should really not have a dialog pop up over the game page that tells you that you can save 20% when you actually can't save 20%.

It's not like I found a coupon somewhere and tried to apply it. It wasn't a banner ad above the game for some generic promotion. The client had the offer pop up up over this specific game and say I could save 20%.

Why would they even do that? What kind of reaction are they expecting to this kind of behavior?

"Oh, you got me Ubi! You made me think I could save 20% on the game I was looking at, but I actually can't! Ho ho ho, good one! Well I might as well use this coupon you tricked me into spending 100 points on to purchase some old game on your site and not the one I was looking at!"

I 100% agree with you. This got me too with AC:O. The note pops up on the store page for the product itself, and gives no sense that it does not work for it. I had read in fine print at the bottom of some other page about the limits and the 90 days stuff, but it was SO prominent on the store page I figured it HAS to work for it. So you spend the points and sorry, doesn't work. I haven't felt that grifted in years.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the bankrupt gang!

Now that I understand the game a bit better, I'm seriously thinking about just deleting my 6 hour save from yesterday and starting the campaign again. I'm almost certain that I could get to where I am now in less than two hours.

Could you give me some proper n00b pointers?

I did a 2 hour game and i got to the point where i was looking for rioters in the other guys city.

Maybe some tips on how and where to place things and things i shouldn't be doing?

I feel like i did it very wrong my mixing the various factories in with the housing, The factories often tell me they are at full capacity but i have storage buildings etc

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I did a 2 hour game and i got to the point where i was looking for rioters in the other guys city.

Maybe some tips on how and where to place things and things i shouldn't be doing?

I feel like i did it very wrong my mixing the various factories in with the housing, The factories often tell me they are at full capacity but i have storage buildings etc
If storage buildings are a bit far and overloaded (it has only two loading/unloading ramps by default), it will take more time to move goods, thus the factories can produce faster than what get stored.
I think the best is to do some factory clusters with their own storage building, having several storage building on the map, close to several factories, and don't forget to upgrade them once you can if you need more than 2 ramps.

Factories do not need to be near houses, there's no house-work travel time. Houses need market and services, factories need storage and some services (mostly firefighters).
Later some factories will produce pollution I think, so you'd better keep them far from houses.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

This should help you more than any tips I could give you :D at least you could see how to do early game properly.
Should I maybe put this video in the OP ?

Factories do not need to be near houses, there's no house-work travel time.
I think that that was my first mistake, as Cities Skyline was the last city builder I played and traffic needed a lot of micromanagement to be effective. I'm glad to trade some realism for less headaches in Anno :D

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Some basics:
  • Make sure you have a big plus in income, before upgrading to the next citizen stage, you'll need more buildings/factories and these will increase your costs
  • You always need people from the first and second stage, so make sure you don't upgrade everyone (but you can downgrade houses again as well, if needed)
  • Make sure you place producing factories far away from the normal housing, people won't be happy near soap factories or pig farms or industry
  • Try to start off with an island, that at least covers the basics for the first two citizen stages, so you don't need to expand to early
  • If you overproduce, make sure to sell your stuff or factories will still cost money for running, but won't produce anything, as your warehouse is full (also place more warehouses at sea spots, to increase your limit)
  • Therefore also explore the map, so you actually find the AI players and merchants and if needed negotiate some trade rights
  • Use your space wisely, it's very limited after some time
  • Place production chain items very close to each other, this way to transport will be quicker and you get goods faster
  • Place enough storage houses, you'll see if they are getting close to their limit with loading bays, upgrade if needed or place another one close by
  • Make your people happy, earn more money
  • It's ok if you have to start a new game 2-3 times as a beginner or someone that is new to Anno 1800, not a bad thing, you'll learn with each game and not repeat previous mistakes

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Hate to say this, but the campaign kinda disappointed me. The quality of it is great, but it's too short. After the amount of projects and quests we had on 2205 this one feels a bit short on content.

Or am I missing something after the final chapter?

Sandbox is great though.

A bug/feature to point out also Com_Raven
When facing the villains fleet, if you engage and go back to the ships of your allies (the queen, Isabel...) they will not die (they heal the same dmg they receive when at 50% HP) and kill the enemy fleet for you.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Hate to say this, but the campaign kinda disappointed me. The quality of it is great, but it's too short. After the amount of projects and quests we had on 2205 this one feels a bit short on content.

Sandbox is great though.

Campaign is sadly not that great, it starts of pretty nice, also with some choices, but later on you still have to learn most stuff on your own and there are usually only long term goals remaining. It's ok, but the main attraction is the sandbox mode, older campaigns were better, like 1404.

Argus

Oct 27, 2017

Sandbox is great though.

A bug/feature to point out also Com_Raven
When facing the villains fleet, if you engage and go back to the ships of your allies (the queen, Isabel...) they will not die (they heal the same dmg they receive when at 50% HP) and kill the enemy fleet for you.
I agree. The campaign is a glorified tutorial. Considering just ending it early and going into sandbox.

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
Besides playing about 2 or 3 hours of the campaign, I started a MP round with two friends of mine. Started at 7 pm and it was nearly 12 am in like a heartbeat. Really enjoying my time with it. After playing many many hours of PUBG, it's just so relaxing :D

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Besides playing about 2 or 3 hours of the campaign, I started a MP round with two friends of mine. Started at 7 pm and it was nearly 12 am in like a heartbeat. Really enjoying my time with it. After playing many many hours of PUBG, it's just so relaxing :D
What do you actually do in MP? everyone does his own island and kinda minds his own business and do some trade?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Some basics:
  • Make sure you have a big plus in income, before upgrading to the next citizen stage, you'll need more buildings/factories and these will increase your costs
  • You always need people from the first and second stage, so make sure you don't upgrade everyone (but you can downgrade houses again as well, if needed)
  • Make sure you place producing factories far away from the normal housing, people won't be happy near soap factories or pig farms or industry
  • Try to start off with an island, that at least covers the basics for the first two citizen stages, so you don't need to expand to early
  • If you overproduce, make sure to sell your stuff or factories will still cost money for running, but won't produce anything, as your warehouse is full (also place more warehouses at sea spots, to increase your limit)
  • Therefore also explore the map, so you actually find the AI players and merchants and if needed negotiate some trade rights
  • Use your space wisely, it's very limited after some time
  • Place production chain items very close to each other, this way to transport will be quicker and you get goods faster
  • Place enough storage houses, you'll see if they are getting close to their limit with loading bays, upgrade if needed or place another one close by
  • Make your people happy, earn more money
  • It's ok if you have to start a new game 2-3 times as a beginner or someone that is new to Anno 1800, not a bad thing, you'll learn with each game and not repeat previous mistakes

This is all very useful, thank you!

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
What do you actually do in MP? everyone does his own island and kinda minds his own business and do some trade?

That's exactly what's going on in our round :D No conflict at the moment, just settling on our own, chatting and doing some trade. There are certain win conditions that can be set up at the beginning such as total population or wealth for example. We have the winning condition of a Population of 25000, so our session could last a little bit :D Of course you can save the session, otherwise it could be quite problematic :D

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's exactly what's going on in our round :D No conflict at the moment, just settling on our own, chatting and doing some trade. There are certain win conditions that can be set up at the beginning such as total population or wealth for example. We have the winning condition of a Population of 25000, so our session could last a little bit :D Of course you can save the session, otherwise it could be quite problematic :D
Alright so it's basically just hanging out on Discord while playing Anno :p

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
Alright so it's basically just hanging out on Discord while playing Anno :p
Yep, it is. But I think with the different Winning conditions you can have more hectic Matches, if you want it. Otherwise it's quite fun to look at the Islands of the others just to see how and what they build. Or joking if a factory blows up and the fire afterwards destroys many buildings xD

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so, I've completed the Campaign Story on Easy (which it truly was, but felt fine since I didn't want too much stress while initially learning the intricacies of the game) and while the story was a bit silly and short it also served its purpose in introducing all the gameplay mechanics. Diving into the Normal campaign now and looking forward to refining what I have learned thus far. Very nice gameplay loop in that sense.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get multiplayer quick match to work whatsoever. I always get stuck on "Match Found!" until it disconnects and searches for a new game which has the same problem. It's kinda funny because finding a game takes like 2-3 seconds... it just can't seem to connect. The game states my NAT is set to "Moderate" so it should be fine, presumably? Weird. Maybe it's because I'm running via Steam or something?

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so, I've completed the Campaign Story on Easy (which it truly was, but felt fine since I didn't want too much stress while initially learning the intricacies of the game) and while the story was a bit silly and short it also served its purpose in introducing all the gameplay mechanics. Diving into the Normal campaign now and looking forward to refining what I have learned thus far. Very nice gameplay loop in that sense.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get multiplayer quick match to work whatsoever. I always get stuck on "Match Found!" until it disconnects and searches for a new game which has the same problem. It's kinda funny because finding a game takes like 2-3 seconds... it just can't seem to connect. The game states my NAT is set to "Moderate" so it should be fine, presumably? Weird. Maybe it's because I'm running via Steam or something?
My NAT is always on "Open" I think. But I didn't try MP yet.

Discord Channel Info
OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Since I've been getting some PMs regarding the Discord Invite in the OP which doesn't seem to work: please send me directly a PM for an invite to the Discord channel!
Also, it's still rather empty in there, so come on and let's build some cities together :)

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
How do you guys deal with trading? For example this happened to me: an AI settlement was asking for bread, the quantity was something like 40. At the same time, I needed hops for beer. So what I did was a simple trade route (load 20 bread, sell 20 bread, buy 30 oats, unload 30 oats.) Everything seemed fine and my ships were on their way. After a while, I saw that my trade route had a warning symbol on it. Inspecting it further revealed that a) the first island didnt need bread anymore b) the second island didnt sell hops anymore.

So how do you guys deal with this? Is viable to do long term trading in this game? Or is it just "one huge deal" kind of thing?

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Is anyone else having this issue ?:

I preloaded the game on steam, was really looking forward to it unlocking, but upon release it got stuck on "updating" which read "21.0GB/21.0GB", nothing happened for a long time, no data was downloaded, and after a while what started increasing was the total amount to be downloaded even though nothing was, in effect, being downloaded (i.e. it changed from "21.0GB/21.0GB" to "21.0GB/21.01GB" then "21.0GB/21.02GB" and so on).

So i tried unninstalling and redownloading the whole thing and now it will not download fully. It gets stuck around 19.3/21.0 GB and the like. I have tried cancelling the download and downloading again, but the same thing happens.

Oct 25, 2017

I preloaded the game on steam, was really looking forward to it unlocking, but upon release it got stuck on "updating" which read "21.0GB/21.0GB", nothing happened for a long time, no data was downloaded, and after a while what started increasing was the total amount to be downloaded even though nothing was, in effect, being downloaded (i.e. it changed from "21.0GB/21.0GB" to "21.0GB/21.01GB" then "21.0GB/21.02GB" and so on).

So i tried unninstalling and redownloading the whole thing and now it will not download fully. It gets stuck around 19.3/21.0 GB and the like. I have tried cancelling the download and downloading again, but the same thing happens.
Yeah I was stuck on that for several hours on release day. Apparently it was actually doing things (pre-allocation, installing etc) so just leave it alone and don't touch it. It's not actually stuck, at least it wasn't for me.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
So why does Steam version play like shit?

Maybe it's not best idea to request status for every friend every frame.

Tetris anyone?

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey

I was stuck until I cleared my download cache.

Oct 25, 2017
I got error CF3F when trying to connect to a quick match just now. Any clues as to what that means? Com_Raven

Still haven't been able to connect to any games whatsoever.

Edit: I forwarded ports 80, 443 and 18000 as per Ubisoft's official connectivity guide for the game. It now says "NAT type: Open" in game but I still can't connect to any games.

Last edited:

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
So why does Steam version play like shit?

Maybe it's not best idea to request status for every friend every frame.

Tetris anyone?

We are working on the fix for that, yes. For now the workaround is to to go offline in Steam and Uplay, which should give you a big improvement. our next patch will dial back the FL updates.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I haven't had any trouble with my economy (on normal/easy mode) because I've got two shipyards pumping out warships to sell nonstop. Frigates sell for 22000 and ships of the line for 50000.

Got 4 gunsmiths, 3 sailmakers, and a ton of wood production.

Also remember to keep 100 extra working class people free for each shipyard. They don't actually count as employed unless they are busy making a ship.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
We are working on the fix for that, yes. For now the workaround is to to go offline in Steam and Uplay, which should give you a big improvement. our next patch will dial back the FL updates.

Yeah it works better in offline but crashes after 10min or so (no such problems with beta). So I guess I'm waiting for patch anyways.

Also seems like Steam version isn't letting you unlock these:

erGhulI.png

Rei

Nov 1, 2017
Kuala Lumpur
Steam version only having fps issues.. but not for everyone it seems. Offline mode on just Steam really helps. You don't need to be offline on UPlay, so you can still play the multiplayer. I'm also one of the unlucky one's having this issue. At least it's like the open beta now after turning steam offline. Great performance at everything max setting.

Enjoying the game a lot. I'm so glad they made another Anno again.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
So I can't build steamships without electricity. Power plants can only be built in the old world and require oil shipped from the new world. But you need to ship it in an oil tanker which are only built in steam shipyards that require electricity. What am I missing here? How do I ship the oil I'm harvesting to start powering things?

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
When you get the Campaign end screen, There is also a quest to get 500 engineers. Does anyone know if there are anymore unique quests after this stage, or can I restart into sanbox mode and not miss anything else?

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
So it looks like when uPlay is overwhelmed I can't play Anno 1800 at all? It's greyed out (my entire Game page is being strange, missing games) and if I try to launch the .exe from the folder I get asked for an activation key.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The game is very demanding at ultra settings, especially with MSAA turned on. An alternative TAA filter would be great. Also, I'm not a big fan of the new campaign format. I'd rather have separated missions like the other Anno games.

Other than that, no complaints from me. The game is very fun and addicting!

Oct 25, 2017
This game is so complex and I love it. Like, I know there has to be an efficient way to split the classes over multiple islands and set up trade/charter routes where your highest tech island no longer needs to support farmers and workers. It's just that trying to think about it hurts my head and I just go "oh well let's play for fun in the meantime", lmao.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Please add a UI scale option! I play in 1440p and everything is so big! I feel like I don't have any room left to play if all the panels are open

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really should have tried the beta for this game because I just don't know enough about computer specs to trust buying this on my laptop.

How tough is this game to run if I don't give a shit about playing it in 4k with 60 FPS?

EDIT: Just as a benchmark I can run Civilization 6 on medium-high settings and get an acceptable (to me) frame rate.

Last edited: