• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I absolutely loved this film. Stuck with me for days after watching.

I've watched countless explanations of the ending of the film and I still don't quite get it.

Also it seems to me that Oscar Isaac at the end is the original. It looks to me that he killed his doppelganger the same way she did.

But everyone says it's a copy. Obviously they both changed.
His doppelgänger killed him

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such a good/creepy movie. I saw it twice in theaters with different groups of friends. Loved it. It's a head scratcher that's for sure.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Maybe not intentionally but in the process of the arrangement of the symbols, themes and the way it all plays out make it one of the best movies about mid level western occult advancement made so far. Definitely could be better but it's really quite good.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
It's fine, feels like a "Babby's first Stalker" in a way though, probably wouldn't be in my top 30 of the year. Don't really see how, it's underrated, critical response was generally great, lots of people talk about it.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I always laugh at people who bring up Stalker. If people have a hard time watching this, then Stalker is going to be an impossible task. I love cerebral scifi but Stalker is very slow, veryyyyyy slow, and gives even less explanation.
I also didn't like Stalker as much because it was very religious, whereas Annihilation focused on things of a very human and relatable nature (ironically given the setting).

I highly recommend the folding ideas vid about the film

Bumping this because it explains it well.
Great watch.

Incidentally, whether or not you're a fan of RLM, their Annihilation review is excellent and points out not only what's great about the movie but makes a lot of interesting observations about the movie industry in general

He hits on a lot of the points of why this film is a fantastic scifi film. The uncertainty, the visuals, the imagination, the ideas, the respect for the characters!

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished ranking all 54 movies I saw last year and slotted Annihilation in at #4. I absolutely loved the movie though I totally understand why it bombed and why some people might not like it. Any hope for it being 2018's answer to Arrival drastically overestimates the general population's appetite for mutant, screaming bears.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
2nd best movie of 2018, right below First Reformed.

It's a great film, Alex Garland track record as a director is truly impressive so far.

Fat Dad

Prophet of Regret
Nov 28, 2017
I liked Ex Machina better but Annihilation was very good. I look forward to Alex Garland's future work.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In what way is the bear out of place?

A bear that acquires the screams of people it has killed has nothing to do with scrambled DNA and the premise of the shimmering. It's creative horror but it's not related to the movie. That's an evil magic creature, but not a mutant from the shimmering.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see the relevance that reddit peoples opinion has on mine.
I mean do you disagree with me or something?

The movie is adequately explained.

A bear that acquires the screams of people it has killed has nothing to do with scrambled DNA and the premise of the shimmering. It's creative horror but it's not related to the movie. That's an evil magic creature, but not a mutant from the shimmering.

It is related. Everything is refracted, that's why Portman gets the Ourobouros tattoo from the other woman. That's why the shrubs form into the shape of a human. That's why the bear has a human skull coming out the side of it's head and has vocal cords that can mimic a voice. The shimmer is just mixing everything up, throwing shit together, and making something new.

Feb 10, 2018
The movie is adequately explained.

It is related. Everything is refracted, that's why Portman gets the Ourobouros tattoo from the other woman. That's why the shrubs form into the shape of a human. That's why the bear has a human skull coming out the side of it's head and has vocal cords that can mimic a voice. The shimmer is just mixing everything up, throwing shit together, and making something new.

Yes the movie explains the unexplainable quite well.
But what I said was that the premise of aliens being so different to us that we can't make sense or understand them is quite a boring concept for many.

People want to know about aliens in movies.
People don't enjoy being ignorant or incapable of understanding.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I hated it. It seemed like it set out to do only one thing, create weird imagery, and failed to create a compelling movie for that imagery to serve. The story, acting, characters, or the whole logic of the movie did nothing for me. All of it was only there to get you from one weird looking art piece to another. I would have preferred an art slideshow than this movie.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I have never been more disappointed in a movie after reading the book. I really regret reading the book then seeing the movie. I think I would have enjoyed it much more not expecting a semi slow burn/mystery that gets wackier and wackier.

It was pretty, but felt very hollow.

OP
OP
Lunaray

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Annihilation is not neo-noir.
Yeah I'm still trying to figure out OP calling this movie neo-noir.

I didn't say it was neo-noir, I said it had more in common with neo-noir than horror. Watch this scene:

The composition, the lighting, the surrealistic framing, the paranoia and alienation, the way the protagonists are trying to solve a larger mystery with the audience. It's not a crime drama but certainly contains a lot of the same thematic elements.

Maybe I should have said it's a surrealist mystery drama instead (since noir has a lot of trappings). It's certainly more that than horror.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah, it's fucking great. My only regret is waiting to see it in the movies so late that it was relegated to one of the tiny ass screens in my local theater which is state of the art otherwise.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
It was cool. Pretty weird ending.
The ending wasn't weird to me. It was straight forward. She got the Alien in her and is about to mate with her husband clone, laters humankind. I still don't get the "deeper" meaning of this film when is not that deep. Everything is pretty much straight forward. I found more material to work with looking for meanings in "Hold The Dark" than this movie.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The ending wasn't weird to me. It was straight forward. She got the Alien in her and is about to mate with her husband clone, laters humankind. I still don't get the "deeper" meaning of this film when is not that deep. Everything is pretty much straight forward. I found more material to work with looking for meanings in "Hold The Dark" than this movie.
She doesn't have the alien in her, she was changed from being inside Area X and that's one of the things that Area X did to her. Just like how the bear was fused with that one lady or how Tessa Thompson's character turned into a plant.

This movie is all about change and what it does to a person, from psychological trauma forcefully changing someone from who they were once to who they are now, to the more physical change that Area X is causing them.

Deleted member 16609

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
She doesn't have the alien in her, she was changed from being inside Area X and that's one of the things that Area X did to her. Just like how the bear was fused with that one lady or how Tessa Thompson's character turned into a plant.

This movie is all about change and what it does to a person, from psychological trauma forcefully changing someone from who they were once to who they are now, to the more physical change that Area X is causing them.
I understood all of that from the movie. I didn't care that she cheated on her husband. It had no impact on the end game. The only person that made sense was the doctor. Because she didn't have anything to lose by going to Area X by having cancer. And Gina was flat, same with Tessa. Nothing in this movie made me care about anyone. No, build up with anyone. The only thing I enjoy was the last scene that looked like a Bjork video in the lighthouse, that's it. The film didn't do it for me. And I enjoy Hold The Dark more than this. Because of the characters. And that film is out of its mind.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Man I had heard a lot of things about this movie that really made me excited but I was let down.

Felt like it didn't use its very compelling concept as much as I would have hoped. Some great scenes.

The ending was fine though.

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
Hold The Dark was great, I liked it much better than this.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved it but I know plenty of people who watched it and didn't enjoy it, so I don't think the issues are 100% marketing's fault.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw Annihilation and Ex Machina in that order and came away thinking the latter was a hell of a lot better than the former. I have no appreciation for Annihilation, even if it does a few things I like. When dissected, it has things I enjoy, but when brought together the movie is joyless for me.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I loved the movie but thought the ending was fucking terrible. Turns out I'm just dumb. The ending is good. Great even. Thanks Era!

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
The last like 10 minutes of the movie do the rest of it in a way that makes me hate it. Also this movie is a hard sell to the general public (hard sci-fi in general is) so after the studio saw the writing on the wall they sold the rights to Netflix in all but 3 territories and called it a day.