• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My first day as a Warehouse Manager I raised the desk and threw out the chairs much to everyones dismay. My employees were pissy for about a week.

Within a few months we had one of the most productive stores in our district.

That shit works lol

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nolan has a reputation for also finishing movies quickly and under (or at the very least not going above) budget.

He seems like a guy who goes in, very focused, and gets things done quickly with little to no waste.
The chair thing is bullshit.

But I tend to like working with no nonsense people. Everyone gets out faster if milling about is reduced. Grip/electric/riggers should be able to sit as often as the can. They have hard labor intensive jobs.

I was shooting this morning while people were having the most nonchalant attitude and long conversations outside of what we were doing. It's a bit different because it was for an indy doc and lay people aren't always comfortable in front of the camera. Good idea to get them relaxed a bit. But I was so ready to just get to business while the producer was yammering on... then again, he hadn't been up since 4 am preparing like I was.

Edit: I've been on sets with no bottled waters. Mostly because they were trying to be more green. They provided Sparkletts type jugs.

Last edited:

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Reading the update, seeing the initial posts... Some people really want to be angry about shit, I guess. Idk how this gets any energy from anyone.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
source.gif

Lol, this is my new favourite gif

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Why would anyone believe that he actually didn't allow people to sit down while working very long days on set?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Nolan's boomer is showing.

Christopher Nolan is a boring old biddy.

And his reasoning reminds me of my days working retail as a cashier. Cashiers were looked down on if they sat, as if they weren't high enough on an imaginary totem pole to be able to get off their feet for a minute like their respective lazy-ass managers. It comes off as a passive aggressive way of saying "you're not good enough to sit, you haven't earned the right to sit - so stand".

Edit: I don't dislike Nolan, I like his movies. And I guess I don't know enough about what Anne meant when she said what she said. Based on what I'm reading, though, this is a dumb policy. I guess I wouldn't know for sure how dumb it is unless I was actually on set. Still, reading her quote makes him out to be some sort of super boomer.
Yeah this is how I feel.

GenericUser

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
You shit heads equate bottled water to no water at all lol....again, haters.

next week it'll be about how much of a monster he is for liking pineapple on his pizza

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have any negative opinions on Nolan's films, but (assuming it is as straightforward as I read it) is Anne Hathaway really trying to draw conclusions based on 1 individual?

"Oh he makes fantastic movies, maybe not allowing people to sit on set is good"

That's like if Hideo Kojima forced all of his employees to be naked while designing his games.

"Well his games are all critical darlings and he's clearly an auteur, he might be onto something with this whole "you work through your skin" idea!".

Edit: Looking at the threadmark, seems it might be some misinformation. I'll leave the original comment.

Spinluck

β–² Legend β–²
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Oh, we're in the "if you haven't been on a film set you can't have an opinion" stage of the thread are we? Okay then.
More like if you do not know what you are talking about you should probably not speak.

Everyone here wants be the authority on everything when it's probably best to not say anything and appear to be a moron reacting a bit too swiftly later on.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
lol

As a crew member, fuck off, Nolan.

This may make "sense" for key roles and dept heads who probably aren't sitting that much, but there are plenty of roles that don't need to be working every second of their 12 hour day.

I *relish* a good sit-down on an applebox

No cell phones, I'm totally down with. That's the real distraction on a lot of sets.

This is also really interesting, because there is growing sentiment in film/video production that the way we were working pre-COVID was shitty. Esp seeing that it really is non essential, why is a 10-12 (at least) hour day considered normal?
Lmao

First thing i did was CTRL+ F to see who would mention apple boxes.

I'd settle for sitting on a pile of sandbags lol

Spinluck

β–² Legend β–²
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
People are mad that Nolan is pushing so hard to get movie theaters back open during the pandemic
I mean this is a reason to be upset at him but people try to snowball things like that with this and it doesn't work for me.

I highly doubt Nolan is actively denying seating for people with disabilities on his sets. Yet here we are and apparently he was never a good director either. This place is really funny.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean this is a reason to be upset at him but people try to snowball things like that with this and it doesn't work for me.

I highly doubt Nolan is actively denying seating for people with disabilities on his sets. Yet here we are and apparently he was never a good director either. This place is really funny.
Nah, he was always a good director. Just a bad writer.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Christopher Nol(e)an

I get the idea tho behind not needing or having a massive bank of chairs around the director and monitors.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
It was a nothing statement but the people that had an axe to grind got their shots in lol... embarrassing.

I think the whole concept of "outrage culture" is totally overblown, but jesus sometimes people really are looking to shout over nothing, because god damn that first page is hilarious comparing him to industrial warehouse managers

GenericUser

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
Nah, he was always a good director. Just a bad writer.
Oh for sure , Prestige and Memento are so poorly written lol

y'all are on some bizzaro world if you see 99% of the shit that comes out every year and call Nolan a poor writer lol

theres some mediocre screenplays from him but gtfo with him being a bad writer overall

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they need chairs? They should be standing and applauding at all times.

Spinluck

β–² Legend β–²
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Oh for sure , Prestige and Memento are so poorly written lol

y'all are on some bizzaro world if you see 99% of the shit that comes out every year and call Nolan a poor writer lol

theres some mediocre screenplays from him but gtfo with him being a bad writer overall

In his more recent films I think his dialogue is what is poorly written.

As an overall writer I think he's better off less involved.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
People are insane on here.

But hey defend hacks like Snyder that make such shit tier movies that his actors need to continually go back for reshoots.

From what I've read Nolan keeps things tight and moving. His films always finish shooting well before deadline, that must suck for the actors too, right? Spending much less time on set.
What??? LOL the irony in this post. God forbid actors have to do reshoots, most of which are preplanned and in their contracts. Bringing up Snyder in this thread, who is widely known as a great director to work with, regardless of movie quality, is pretty insane.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think The Prestige is his best writing. I can't think of anything too expository or cringey.

There IS expository dialogue but it doesn't feel like it. Nothing as clunky as Inception. Even The Dark Knight has some stinkers.

Can't remember much from Insomnia.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What an embarrasing thread lol. Nolan gets his shit done and as far as I remember his crew loves him and all the actors so there is a reason for that.

GenericUser

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
Nolan's tendency to work quickly and efficiently apparently extends to his characters such as his Batman, who couldn't wait to quit being Batman for some reason.

wtf does this even mean?

Bale has gone on record numerous times that he kept making them due to Nolan being on board.

Affleck couldn't wait to stop being Batman and he never even had a solo movie lol

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
wtf does this even mean?

Bale has gone on record numerous times that he kept making them due to Nolan being on board.

Affleck couldn't wait to stop being Batman and he never even had a solo movie lol

It means that the way they wrote Batman after Begins was as someone that couldn't wait to stop being Batman so he could settle down with Rachel and leave it behind, which is directly contradictory to the story that Begins set up. I'm not talking about the actor, I'm talking about the way they wrote the character.

The whole "I can't wait for the day someone else can protect Gotham so I can travel the world and hang out with my childhood sweetheart" bullshit is my biggest sticking point with the movies after Begins.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
When the movie is in theaters, then you have my permission to sit.

There has to be some kind of labor laws against this. It's unacceptable. I know he's a rich white man but can he go to jail for this?
Sitting raises the risk of an earlier death so he's actually saving these people and they should be thanking him. If anyone should go to jail it's the people who make the chairs.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the update, seeing the initial posts... Some people really want to be angry about shit, I guess. Idk how this gets any energy from anyone.

When its a story about a person/thing they don't like, people tend to work backwards from the position that said person/thing is "trash". Welcome to ResetEra. Enjoy your stay here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All that seems like the mindset of a busybody from corporate retail giving improvements to a local store.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was pretty obvious. Just look at how Batman treats Joker for daring to sit in his presence.

2b0dzja.gif

The nerve.