• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wut, its feels like they just began operation and already bankrupt?

Well, i hope the funding of these games are not affected.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Aw man, I knew this was gonna happen sooner or later. Hope they come back strong, one of the best studios and publishers in the business with a real eye for quality.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Based off of the films they had produced, I assumed they were achieving A24 levels of success?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Based off of the films they had produced, I assumed they were achieving A24 levels of success?

Their distribution is like super terrible, I think. Vice was mediocre in general, Destroyer was ignored, Booksmart bombed hard despite actually being marketed.

They're nowhere near as consistent with quality films as A24, but yeah, I think their biggest problem is you can hardly find the films in a theater.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Their distribution is like super terrible, I think. Vice was mediocre in general, Destroyer was ignored, Booksmart bombed hard despite actually being marketed.

They're nowhere near as consistent with quality films as A24, but yeah, I think their biggest problem is you can hardly find the films in a theater.

Their output seems pretty consistently great since 2017.

I suppose looking back at their films though, that there's a lot of limited releases that failed to gain traction.

They were spending a crapload of money on the films that they were producing with many of them flopping outright. Just this past year, Vice cost $60 million and made about $76 million WW, while The Sisters Brothers cost $38 million and made a whopping $13 million WW. Throw on distribution costs since they decided that was a good idea, and they haven't been so much bleeding money as they've been gushing it.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I guess MGM will assume full control? The revival of United Artists brand was quite the Jynx

Maybe? MGM was out of domestic distribution until Annapurna got them back into it with UA. A lot of the initial UA staff was crew from Annapurna, so I don't know if MGM will want to continue the brand without them.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they do well. Both movie and game divisions have impeccable taste in what they publish.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
This would suck. They have been doing an amazing work. From my understanding there are a lot of folks there that worked with Indies on Sony. They have an eye to pick and support great games.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cant say I am shocked.

They seemed like a company that someone pumped A LOT of money into but it was just tossing money at random expensive projects and they would just hope to be profitable one day without a end goal.

Lots of good people at their gaming division tho. Would be a real shame.

It would be shame to lose both a major indie film studio (Yeah, there is still A24, but still) and a major indie game publisher at the same time. I know a lot of Annapurna's films are more expensive to make than the average indie film, but you rarely see such films given such a massive budget with massive creative control.

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Ironically, Booksmart was A24

Edit: it was late, I was confused

Last edited:

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
I bet Vice, Sister Brothers, Detroit, and Missing Link bombing may be a good reason why since Larry Ellison's the one who's bankrolling the studio.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Aw man, I knew this was gonna happen sooner or later. Hope they come back strong, one of the best studios and publishers in the business with a real eye for quality.
How did you get that sense? Annapurna was putting out quality movies though I'm not familiar with their box office sales. Their movies are so good it elevated my opinion of the games they chose to publish.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
They were spending a crapload of money on the films that they were producing with many of them flopping outright. Just this past year, Vice cost $60 million and made about $76 million WW, while The Sisters Brothers cost $38 million and made a whopping $13 million WW. Throw on distribution costs since they decided that was a good idea, and they haven't been so much bleeding money as they've been gushing it.
Yikes

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely sad, they and A24 give me slim hope during these dark times of cinema making.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I believe the owner is worth like 70 Billion or their relatives are, they'll probably be fine all around.

Edit: Yeah Megan Ellison the founder is the daughter of Larry Ellison, its a good movie company and great game company and he's worth over 70 billion (Founder of Oracle) they will survive this.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be so disappointed if either the film arm or the games arm went down. Both have brought media of both categories that I really dig.

Absolutely sad, they and A24 give me slim hope during these dark times of cinema making.
A24 hasn't had many huge hits, but their business model is designed around low budget films 24/7, so their exposure isn't anywhere nearly as risky as it has been for Annapurna. I think it also helps them out a lot that they're also big into genre films, particularly horror, so they have a built-in audience.

Feb 21, 2019
This will get settled out of court, book it.

No way, no effing way, does JPMorgan and the rest of the lenders piss of Ellison more than they already have. The lenders are just irritated that they aren't the ones driving the terms like they usually are. This is a highstakes game of chicken (like it always is).

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A24 hasn't had many huge hits, but their business model is designed around low budget films 24/7, so their exposure isn't anywhere nearly as risky as it has been for Annapurna. I think it also helps them out a lot that they're also big into genre films, particularly horror, so they have a built-in audience.
I know they do, me and several others are there nearly every time! šŸ˜†

These two mean so much to me in terms of the current landscape.

I want Orion pictures back. šŸ˜­

Ironically, Booksmart was A24

It was actually United Artists.

Rather than finance and/or distribute three 20 million dollar films, A24 chose to finance and/or distribute twenty 3 million dollar films, so the saying goes. Or something like that. Midsommar was given a 9-10 million dollar budget and it has made 32 million already.

I know they do, me and several others are there nearly every time! šŸ˜†

These two mean so much to me in terms of the current landscape.

I want Orion pictures back. šŸ˜­
Orion has been back for a few years, but I can't blame you for not noticing since they've been far less active than they were in their heyday, with focusing mostly on tiny films with the occasional plea to the mainstream, like the recent remake of Child's Play.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

They need a major studio backing/or Apple /amazon etc or like someone mentioned, they need to make smaller budgeted films

Antoo

May 1, 2019
The studio will be fine I think. It's afloat the same reason why Laika is afloat: they are backed by powerful parents. AnnaPurna only had themselves to blame to be honest. They are terrible at marketing their movies. They tank because they lack a good marketing team. They are TERRIBLE AT DISTRIBUTING FILMS.