• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Why? She's talking about the Mandalorian, not Star Wars at large.

Whatever the franchise is doing, it's fair to critique a specific entry in the series if it falls short.

While you aren't wrong, I do think it's important to note a few things. Mandalorian has episodes that are directed by three PoC. Episode 9 is not actually the first Star Wars thing to have a black woman on the supporting cast, on the top of my head you have the mechanic from Resistance, Saw Guerrara's sister and if we go books we have a few black women there as well.

Star Wars has been making strides in representation but still has a ways to go.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While you aren't wrong, I do think it's important to note a few things. Mandalorian has episodes that are directed by three PoC. Episode 9 is not actually the first Star Wars thing to have a black woman on the supporting cast, on the top of my head you have the mechanic from Resistance, Saw Guerrara's sister and if we go books we have a few black women there as well.

Star Wars has been making strides in representation but still has a ways to go.

I know Mandalorian has those episodes directed by PoC. The first Star Wars director ever to be a person of color was Famuyiwa on episode 2. I mentioned that. I'm glad that's finally happening, but it sucks it took so long.

Solo is the first Star Wars film to have a black woman in a prominent role of any kind (and she's killed off before the movie even really takes off).

The franchise has obviously made progress, but slower than many of us would like, and it's still got quite a ways to go, on camera and behind it.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I know Mandalorian has those episodes directed by PoC. The first Star Wars director ever to be a person of color was Famuyiwa on episode 2. I mentioned that. I'm glad that's finally happening, but it sucks it took so long.

Solo is the first Star Wars film to have a black woman in a prominent role of any kind (and she's killed off before the movie even really takes off).

The franchise has obviously made progress, but slower than many of us would like, and it's still got quite a ways to go, on camera and behind it.

They also owe us a better Finn.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
While she was wrong in her example, and I do think that it's a little exhausting to judge a season some sort of problematic sexist mess based on two dialogue light episodes, I agree with her point that there could have been more women side characters.

Like the "I have spoken" character could have just as easily been an old woman.

Also the speeder driving character played by Brian Posehn as a quirky comic relief character could have been played by Kristen Schaal.

Superman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
日本
User Banned (Permanent): Peddling conspiracy theories from hate groups; previous and recent severe infraction
Wow, her entire existence completely left my mind. How's she been? Everything okay? She definitely knows what she's doing repeatedly going after need culture. That's easy money. Can't knock the hustle.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
She's wrong, but as always the response is incommensurate with her words. Star Wars fans never miss an opportunity to embarrass themselves.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
the armorer/ blacksmith in episode 1 anybody?

the show has been light on characters, and that's okay

one important female character is set to join the main cast

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a ridiculous argument when we've seen less than 25% of the first season. I think there's overall been like 5 minutes of dialogue in total.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
You know, I don't want alt-right twats to co-op this but it's fucking weird how white feminists always just happen to target shows led by latinos or black people to make these (very valid) points. And I like Anita a Lot and she has made deep adjustments in terms on race, but this keeps happening among white feminists somehow and it's tiring.
What on earth? Sarkeesian has consistently been intersectional across her work.

Jun 17, 2019
Can I ask if anyone has mentioned that we have 2 female directors, one being a PoC , who is directing 2 of 8 episodes? I mean that's a plus right there for the series as we have women behind the scenes too.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
You know, I don't want alt-right twats to co-op this but it's fucking weird how white feminists always just happen to target shows led by latinos or black people to make these (very valid) points. And I like Anita a Lot and she has made deep adjustments in terms on race, but this keeps happening among white feminists somehow and it's tiring.
anita ain't white bub

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Can't wait for

EH_i0a3VUAEmijW-1-e1572298420537-838x440.jpg

Ming-Na-Wen-The-Mandalorian.jpg
Been waiting for this. Wish at least one of them would have been introduced with a significant role in the pilot.

WolfForager

Oct 27, 2017
Why does having a lack of female characters in the opening episodes directly equate to 'normalising the patriarchy'? I feel like these sort of tweets are half intended to stir the pot and incite the backlash and trolling.

There may be a discussion to have, but going from naught to 100 in a tweet isn't the best way to go about it.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jon Favreau made a movie starring himself where he was romantically involved with Sophia Vergara and Scarlett Johansson at the same time. He made a movie where 15 year old Kristen Stewart is in boxer shorts for the majority of the movie, and also frozen in place so that she can't talk or contribute to the story in a meaningful way. Not to mention the Iron Man movies didn't treat Pepper Potts with any real respect until the one Favreau didn't direct. I don't ever go into a Favreau project thinking that I'm going to see something progressive.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No idea how to feel about this. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong about pointing this out, certainly not enough to get this type of reaction. But then I saw this tweet

was RETWEETED by a woman who I follow on Twitter who I would consider to be pretty decent in terms of her views, from what I've seen. So I'm conflicted. I guess I need to become more concrete in terms of my own views on this type of stuff instead of just following what others say. Become better at forming my own opinions without outside guidance essentially.

Last edited:

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
No idea how to feel about this. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong about pointing this out, certainly not enough to get this type of reaction. But then I saw this tweet

was retweeted by a woman who I follow on Twitter who I would consider to be pretty decent in terms of her views, from what I've seen. So I'm conflicted. I guess I need to become more concrete in terms of my own views on this type of stuff instead of just following what others say. Become better at forming my own opinions without outside guidance essentially.

I agree and would defend almost every point and observation Anita has ever made. She writes extremely well and her premises deserve careful consideration. THAT SAID, I get so tired of being piled on and seeing others piled on when one dares to suggest that while her content is extremely sound her tactics are counterproductive. It happens, it is toxic, it is bullying and I don't care how one wants to frame it otherwise.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles

was retweeted by a woman who I follow on Twitter who I would consider to be pretty decent in terms of her views, from what I've seen. So I'm conflicted. I guess I need to become more concrete in terms of my own views on this type of stuff instead of just following what others say. Become better at forming my own opinions without outside guidance essentially.

go look at that twitter user's youtube channel and come back

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

Huh:

9f36e2d9a6.png

Double huh:

fda8e7e3f4.png

I follow like 13 people, none of them alt-right shitbags, like at least 2 3 4 out of the 5 chuckleheads twitter recommended to me upon landing on her page. (I dunno who lauren chen (oh, blaze tv. alt-right shithead) is, and while i suspect David Rubin is alt-right, I'm not sure, so benefit of the doubt(looked him up, he's an alt-right shit bag) (i don't know much about armoredskeptic, but he was pretty transphobic in his review of bill nye's show. I think he dates June)) From another, more innocuous person I do follow:

390e26c03f.png

So, i mean, it's not me. I have to wonder what it is about June that makes twitter want to recommend alt-right shitbags to me.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Why does having a lack of female characters in the opening episodes directly equate to 'normalising the patriarchy'? I feel like these sort of tweets are half intended to stir the pot and incite the backlash and trolling.

There may be a discussion to have, but going from naught to 100 in a tweet isn't the best way to go about it.
If Star Wars had a big budget series in which little-to-no men had any presence or speaking roles, you know how people would react.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh:

9f36e2d9a6.png

Double huh:

fda8e7e3f4.png

I follow like 13 people, none of them alt-righ shitbags, like at least 2 3 4 out of the 5 chuckleheads twitter recommended to me upon landing on her page. (I dunno who lauren chen (oh, blaze tv. alt-right shithead) is, and while i suspect David Rubin is alt-right, I'm not sure, so benefit of the doubt(looked him up, he's an alt-right shit bag) (i don't know much about armoredskeptic, but he was pretty transphobic in his review of bill nye's show. I think he dates June)) From another, more innocuous person I do follow:

390e26c03f.png

So, i mean, it's not me. I have to wonder what it is about June that makes twitter want to recommend alt-right shitbags to me.
I said retweeted, not tweeted. I don't follow June and had never even seen her twitter account before now. The twitter account I was talking about doesn't normally post or retweet that kind of stuff which is why I was confused as it seemed out of character for her.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I said retweeted, not tweeted. I don't follow June and had never even seen her twitter account before now. The twitter account I was talking about doesn't normally post or retweet that kind of stuff which is why I was confused as it seemed out of character for her.

Oh,okay. I apologize then. (I wasn't trying to cast any aspersions on you, just on the person who made the tweet)

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
That's one of the reason i never been a fan of sarkeesian... She made some really good points that need to be adressed, that much is true, the problem is she often targets things that doesn't deserves these kind of criticism! Like she just want to go after the biggest thing around at the moment so that people will talk way more about it... And sure we should talk more about it, since these issues still happen, but in these cases it's really counter-productive imo

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
That's one of the reason i never been a fan of sarkeesian... She made some really good points that need to be adressed, that much is true, the problem is she often targets things that doesn't deserves these kind of criticism! Like she just want to go after the biggest thing around at the moment so that people will talk way more about it... And sure we should talk more about it, since these issues still happen, but in these cases it's really counter-productive imo
Star Wars being the biggest thing around is precisely why people should be talking about it - she's not "going after it" like it's some poor defenseless puppy.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Star Wars being the biggest thing around is precisely why people should be talking about it - she's not "going after it" like it's some poor defenseless puppy.

Oh definitely, disney doesn't need any defense, there's lot of thing to criticize from them! Wasn't trying to imply disney were helpless victims or something, sorry i wasn't clear enough about that

I just think this particular exemple doesn't do any good in that case, cause even people who share her opinion will go against her, as seen on this very thread..

OP
OP
Fudgepuppy

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh definitely, disney doesn't need any defense, there's lot of thing to criticize from them! Wasn't trying to imply disney were helpless victims or something, sorry i wasn't clear enough about that

I just think this particular exemple doesn't do any good in that case, cause even people who share her opinion will go against her, as seen on this very thread..

I don't follow your logic? Disney doesn't need protecting, and people are allowed to have opinions without being dogpiled due to their gender and status as a prominent feminist.

It's not like the gist of her opinion is completely off. She was wrong about there being no speaking female characters, but it's kind of obtuse to say that her point is completely wrong. If every speaking character in the first episode was a woman, people would've said "this is weird, is this like galaxy for only women or something?".

This is what she means by talking about normalizing patriarchy, since the show in the first episode, has barely any room for women.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

This fool supports Tulsi. Next.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Not to mention the Iron Man movies didn't treat Pepper Potts with any real respect until the one Favreau didn't direct.

Pepper is the lynchpin for Tony in those movies. The first one went into how he couldn't survive a week without her assistance to look out for himself since he didn't even know his own social security number, his extravagant lifestyle was framed as bad, she's the one who keeps Tony from fucking up with his womanising and is who runs the company while he's away being a super-hero. As well as being responsible for landing the killing blow on two of his enemies. The key person who got Tony to have a revelation about his weapons being misused was a woman reporter who hated his guts. Without her motivation Tony never becomes a super-hero.

I don't ever go into a Favreau project thinking that I'm going to see something progressive.

The first Iron Man movie revolved around Tony Stark rejecting his roots as a war manufacturer and learning his company was being undermined by an international criminal who was funding terrorists with state of the art tech. Iron Man 2 was about Tony doing everything in his power to keep his suits out of government hands and when the government did have them it was a horrible mess which allowed a super villain to cause a terrorist attack. How is that not progressive?

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see that we are still at the point where a tiny inaccuracy is more important than the wider point and thusly we must ride this train to oblivion forever instead of reflecting on the fact that maybe there is actually a problem that can and should be addressed.

I mean, for fucks sake, how are we still doing this?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I see that we are still at the point where a tiny inaccuracy is more important than the wider point and thusly we must ride this train to oblivion forever instead of reflecting on the fact that maybe there is actually a problem that can and should be addressed.

I mean, for fucks sake, how are we still doing this?
Something something facts and logic

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Can I ask if anyone has mentioned that we have 2 female directors, one being a PoC , who is directing 2 of 8 episodes? I mean that's a plus right there for the series as we have women behind the scenes too.

This is true, but the problem Anita and others seemed to have is the early optics, rather than any inherent bigotry on part of The Mandalorian's crew.

It's not just feminists that have noticed this either. A quick browse of "The Mandalorian" on reddit and you'll quickly find a certain kind of fan praising the return of "true" Star Wars for not "needlessly stuffing in women" or "pandering to the SJWs." They're not even hiding exactly what their problem with the ST is, or why they love The Mandy so much. (Please, before anyone dog piles me, I'm not implying that everyone who dislikes the ST is a misogynist. I'm talking about a very specific subset of fans who keep making it abundantly clear that they get triggered at the sight of women.)