• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget Herzog's assistant scientist whatever guy.

True, and technically one of the goons that gets it in the beginning is a human male. But none of these roles are significant and would address her 'complaint' in a meanginful way. Because Gina Carano has featured in promos along with Ming-Na Wen, this criticism seems way too early.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
This kind of reminds me of the Era discourse on the Attack on Titan manga. Its ok/understandable to be jaded towards the people who create the media you consume but most times its better to wait. Not to say you can't criticize a work as its coming out but to unequivocally state that X story is Xenophobic/Anti-Semitic/Misogynistic always seems counter productive to good discourse.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
It feels like maybe since 3 of the last 4 Star Wars movies had a female lead, that maybe a little bit of slack could be given? Especially on a show that so far has had a very limited cast.
Yeah, Star Wars is really not the tree to be barking up considering how much effort they've put into diversity.

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
There should be more representation in big media franchises. It's only been 2 episodes tho. She shouldn't get harrassment for her bad premature take.

Nov 5, 2017
It's a boring show with a protagonist that it's very hard to stay invested in. I like Pedro Pascal a lot and so far he's been completely wasted on a dork who mostly just gets his ass handed to him by local fauna.

Couldn't agree more; I'd have dropped the show after the first episode if not for the Yoda-ling.

Anita's criticism is on point as well; I was honestly surprised they closed out episode 2 without at least introducing Gina Carano's character.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Absolutely disgusting amount of hate for something trivial like a streaming show and someone making a point about it. Personally I'm conflicted about this kind of issue cause honestly while everyone deserves representation and it would be great for everyone to look up to badass heroes and strong roles they can relate with, I rarely find myself losing sleep because there are stuff I would watch for the strong female or PoC roles and then there stuff where I want a strong male lead, and star wars is one of em. But yeah, those assholes attacking Anita can fuck off for all I care.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Asking sincerely:

Did 'Orange is the new Black' get any blow back for featuring primarily women or did "Big Little Lies"?

Is this toxic masculinity primarily sequestered to Genre content mainly? or enthusiast type media like your SciFi, comic book, nostalgia pop stuffs?

I didn't even know Ocean's 8 had detractors. I mean that is just ludicrous almost silly. There are some stupid people in the world. Who loved the franchise enough, had that much of a blood tie to be offended by an all female take/version? I work in town and female led Ocean's spin off scripts have been passed around for years since like Ocean's 12. It was inevitable. It seems to me that male superfans of ANYTHING tend to in, just their existence, make anything that could be fun and entertaining an alienating pain in the ass for people who just want to enjoy things.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The point is obviously a valid one, but using the first two episodes of the The Mandalorian was not the way to go about it for a variety of reasons.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I know I'm a little crazy sometimes and lord knows I have no love for her, but this seems like a bait tweet.
Absolutely. Harms the credibility of her claim too. It makes it looks like she was chomping at the bit to throw the accusation out there. Let them finish a season before you start defining it on your terms. If her claims are valid after the first season than have at it, but this is woefully premature.
Mando has only met three unmasked humans over the first two episodes by my count, one of which gets immediately killed. One is Warner Herzog, the other Carl Weathers.

It's a bait tweet.
No. It's a valid criticism despite the minor inaccuracy.

See below:
The barometer should be equality with men. Easy peasy.

It'd be interesting to see what reactions would be if the genders of all the characters were flipped. The Mandalorian hunter, his prey at the start of episode 1 (the weird blue dude), the moisture farmer side-kick, the bounty hunter guild leader, the creepy client and his weirdo doctor, the voice of the bounty hunter droid.

All women.

I bet your ass people would say this show is some sort of silly feminazi fantasy at best, and you'd hear all sorts of comments about SJW pandering.
Geena Davis had good commentary on this:

It was the dearth of female characters in the worlds of the stories — the fact that the fictitious villages and jungles and kingdoms and interplanetary civilizations were nearly bereft of female population — that hit me over the head. This being the case, we are in effect enculturating kids from the very beginning to see women and girls as not taking up half of the space. Couldn't it be that the percentage of women in leadership positions in many areas of society — Congress, law partners, Fortune 500 board members, military officers, tenured professors and many more — stall out at around 17 percent because that's the ratio we've come to see as the norm?
Step 1: Go through the projects you're already working on and change a bunch of the characters' first names to women's names.
Step 2: When describing a crowd scene, write in the script, "A crowd gathers, which is half female." That may seem weird, but I promise you, somehow or other on the set that day the crowd will turn out to be 17 percent female otherwise.
And there you have it. You have just quickly and easily boosted the female presence in your project without changing a line of dialogue.

Also, not quite directly related to Mandalorian but another important point just about female representation in general:
Of the characters in leadership positions, it found that women and girls were four times more likely than men to be shown wearing revealing clothing; nearly twice as likely to be shown as partially nude; and four times more likely to be shown completely naked. It also found that when a slow motion focus was used on lead characters' bodies, nearly twice as many female leads were sexually objectified than men.

Research also revealed that twice as many men appeared in the 56 films and they spoke twice as much as women.

Male characters were shown as being more effective and more respected when in leadership positions, while female presidents and prime ministers were portrayed as struggling with the job. Where female characters were portrayed as strong, it was in the home.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
There should be more representation in big media franchises. It's only been 2 episodes tho. She shouldn't get harrassment for her bad premature take.
Pretty much my take, I couldn't imagine getting the shit she gets over such trivial things, but I usually don't allow the man babies online to change my judgement or control the narrative. Like you said just seems premature.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
being honest with myself, There is that risk, but I think it's a risk worth taking. An action show where there is equal, diverse representation in main cast, the side cast, the background cast is something I'd like to see.

Even if people did complain, atleast they'd be complaining about something genuinely not seen very often and I'd rather course correct more from that than from having too few.

I think everyone should just fucking wait till the show ends for fucks sake. Its literally something like over an hour in and we already deal with this shit when we know (from the trailer) that there will be actiony women in there as well. Its getting tiring. Wait till the end, then criticise the fuck out of it. (I dont mean you btw)

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): sexist dog whistle
Doesn't matter if she's right or wrong - she got the reaction she wanted.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I get where Anita is coming from. However it's two episodes, one of which started with 10 minutes of no dialogue during its 33-minute run time.

We have acknowledgement of female characters coming from some of the most badass women on the planet. I'd rather approach the judgment of how Mandalorian is treating female characters with the totality of the content and not based one or two episodes dropping in a series about a loner bounty hunter who clearly keeps his interactions with other people limited.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Star Wars is really not the tree to be barking up considering how much effort they've put into diversity.

Though outside of the cartoons there's still a bit of work to be done. The bait-and-switch with Finn for presenting him as a possible Jedi to essentially being an over-the-top comedic relief acting trope for half his scenes it felt like was a recent misstep.

As for Anita, I can understand the argument, but I do think some even here are disingenuous by arguing the initial bar fight should have included a woman given knowing full well how that would have gone if he was beating on a woman, instigator or not, in the first 5 minutes. But could have the scientist, or his go between, the landspeeder driver, or the last planets guide (even as an alien species still, which also of course has issues I'm sure) been women? I think there's a good argument to have there.

But I can also see the possible intention to tone this underworld as a patriarchal/misogynistic society, and maybe there will be some narrative to go along those lines. But I can understand why waiting for that to be brought up later can be seen as a handwave, no matter the hypothetical time spent over it. Plus until that comes up, that's just an assumption/audience excuse until those involved address it.

It would be nice though if the opinions of a bunch of Twitter neckbeards wasn't attributed to everyone else though who isn't acting in such a manner.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I do see her point if there is only one speaking female character, but criticizing the lack of female representation in SW in 2019...

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Who's gonna break the bad news to the entire Mandalorian OT that it's premature to share first impressions before they're old?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 month): peddling conspiracy theories from hate groups
nwIi9NVm.jpg
dR9ruMz.jpg

mOTfvtwm.jpg
Jhhnve9m.png

gtYZt8nm.jpg

How is this show normalizing patriarchy?

It's not but she makes money on getting people worked up (social media engagement). If there was no money in doing it whether it was movies, games or tv shows then she wouldn't do it at all which says it all about her motivations.

Nov 13, 2017
It was a premature hot take, and I have vehemently defended her in the past but...I get the feeling that she did this on purpose and it's not helping the cause.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm having a hard time believing that someone with her experience in this area wouldn't have at least done a cursory google search before dropping a hot take that is sure to get people riled up, even in support of her cause.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Can't women do this as well? I mean its only the second episode?
Not as easily as men can. Which is the point of the post I quoted.

Men don't have to make an effort to seek out entertainment on a basic level of visual representation of men on screen.

Because there's more of them on screen than women.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
No. It's a valid criticism despite the minor inaccuracy.
You'll note that I wasn't specifically that piece but the one time (and that I clearly didn't care about it anyway). It's one thing to say an entire piece of work is bereft of a particular people, it's another to point at one specific part of it and talk publicly about it. Particularly given her reputation. Particularly knowing the reactions that things like this get. I'm not blaming her for the rancor of the responses, but I can at least say it was a poor decision for her to not take a step back and think "Hey, maybe this isn't the best criticism to make right now." It's not silencing a voice to be heard, it's making a judgement call that maybe what the point you're trying to make just ain't that important right now, especially given the response doing so will receive.

Anita could tweet about the weather and she'd get harassed, don't victim blame
This is also true. Don't like her, but nobody deserves the dogpiles she gets unless they do something ridiculously terrible. Unfortunately this means, to some people, that she breathed.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
It's not but she makes money on getting people worked up (social media engagement). If there was no money in doing it whether it was movies, games or tv shows then she wouldn't do it at all which says it all about her motivations.
Well, no one would do anything if they didn't get paid lol. Kinda weak argument.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I will say that judging a series on the first two episodes about representation seems kind of silly. For all we know the show could be full of fantastic female representation and only the first two episodes were light on it.

But also, it was kind of light commentary and she really didn't need to be dogpiled for it.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Also let me say this.

I think the take was bad.

But I think if a man had made this take, they wouldn't have had nearly the amount of asshat replies she got.

Edit: changed would've to wouldn't

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
She has a premature, inaccurate take in this case, BUT people don't need to be assholes about it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I will say that judging a series on the first two episodes about representation seems kind of silly. For all we know the show could be full of fantastic female representation and only the first two episodes were light on it.

But also, it was kind of light commentary and she really didn't need to be dogpiled for it.

To be fair, she was specific critiquing the first two episodes. It is pretty weird to have a major television show where the main character only interacts with ONE woman by the end of the second episode.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
She's right, I love the show but in the first two episodes only one woman for a few seconds.

Even in the cantina they could have at least had a woman speak a line or two.

It will probably get better in the coming episodes if the trailers and promotional material is an indication.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

She critiques media, and runs a non profit. She ain't stacking bills.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the aliens could've been women. The scientist with Werner Herzog could've been a woman. There are lots of ways to do this. Assuming that male is the default is the problem.
do aliens in star wars even adhere to human gender?

I legitimately dont know the answer to that.

Does female alien representation actually count?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
do aliens in star wars even adhere to human gender?

I legitimately dont know the answer to that.

Does female alien representation actually count?

There are plenty of aliens with binary genders in Star Wars, and there are likely just as many with non-binary genders. There are male and female Zabrak, there are male and female Togruta, there are male and female Twi'leks, wookiees, etc.

Plenty of opportunities for female representation in the alien space.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
There are plenty of aliens with binary genders in Star Wars, and there are likely just as many with non-binary genders. There are male and female Zabrak, there are male and female Togruta, there are male and female Twi'leks, wookiees, etc.

Plenty of opportunities for female representation in the alien space.

While i agree there was more realm there for representation i do find it a bit premature to dog the show about a lack of representation when there have been like 5 or 6 speaking roles of any type in 2 episodes.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
You'll note that I wasn't specifically that piece but the one time (and that I clearly didn't care about it anyway). It's one thing to say an entire piece of work is bereft of a particular people, it's another to point at one specific part of it and talk publicly about it. Particularly given her reputation. Particularly knowing the reactions that things like this get. I'm not blaming her for the rancor of the responses, but I can at least say it was a poor decision for her to not take a step back and think "Hey, maybe this isn't the best criticism to make right now." It's not silencing a voice to be heard, it's making a judgement call that maybe what the point you're trying to make just ain't that important right now, especially given the response doing so will receive.

See I think the problem is that the misogynist blob will hate her no matter what she does, so she gains little to nothing by tailoring her message to try to appease them. Either they'll nitpick the ways in which a more precise statement is wrong, or they'll just make up shit. Truth is a pretext to the hatred of women for these people.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
While i agree there was more realm there for representation i do find it a bit premature to dog the show about a lack of representation when there have been like 5 or 6 speaking roles of any type in 2 episodes.

Like I said, the critique is about those first two episodes. The fact the show doesn't have a lot of characters in it is part of the problem, the other problem is that virtually all the characters who ARE there default to men.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said, the critique is about those first two episodes. The fact the show doesn't have a lot of characters in it is part of the problem, the other problem is that virtually all the characters who ARE there default to men.
I guess it would be one thing if there were some story supported reason why they needed to be men but there isn't. So realistically speaking it should be about a 50/50 or at least 60/40 split but it isn't and I suppose thats the problem