• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
The Mandalorian armorer is a woman and speaks in the first episode. And seems to have a pretty important role in Mandalorian society.

The second episode is fairly accurate but it mostly features Jawas so I'm not sure that's a strong point. Episodes to come seem to feature women prominently.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen a woman going into a thread telling men to wait for more episodes to see more guy characters.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anita's tweet was about female presence. The marketing coupled with Gina's own interviews about her role in LATER episodes speaks to her presence in the show. I'm a POC and I get Anita's aim and machinations but this wasn't a fair tweet for a show two episodes in. I think comments like hers make sense in terms of a one-and-done experience like a movie but in terms of long form narrative like a show the benefit of the doubt is completely appropriate. I didn't attack Anita as so many people are hasty to do but sometimes her tactics seem, TO ME, so very shortsighted.

I know what her tweet was about.

"But there are women all over the marketing" is not an appropriate response to "hey, where are the women with speaking roles on this TV show?", and that'd be true even if the whole season was out already. Their presence doesn't mean anything besides the fact that they exist and will show up at some point, but we have no idea how substantial their roles are at this juncture.

I think her criticism is premature, but that reply still stinks and is used a ton in these discussions centered on the concerns of marginalized demographics.

I've never seen a woman going into a thread telling men to wait for more episodes to see more guy characters.

Never ever.

And that's that on that.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
fucking on point for this forum to do the same thing twitter just did and the OP lamented but in tamer terms.
1. you can judge a thing within a set of parameters. (the first 2 episodes).
2. the armorer is a throw away and not worth remembering.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fucking on point for this forum to do the same thing twitter just did and the OP lamented but in tamer terms.
1. you can judge a thing within a set of parameters. (the first 2 episodes).
2. the armorer is a throw away and not worth remembering.
The armorer was the second most memorable thing from the first episode.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This new era of Star Wars has had 4 major films headlined by a main female character, all of which have been successful (pretty sure Rise will do big business) so this seems like a poor faith argument considering the franchise overall has been getting more and more diverse for the better.

This aswell. Her argument is not only premature but to me she is making a really bad argument. It's not the first time she has made false claims regarding big sci fi franchises aswell.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I mean the answer to her question is she must be tired because there is a speaking role.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I honestly can't think of any time guys have complained there were too many female characters.

Is that due to it never happening because of a patriarchal mess, or guys preference for women on screen?

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
These tweets are completely nonsensical.

Even ignoring the fact that we're only two episodes into The Mandalorian, and it was known prior to release that Gina Carano (among others) would play an important character in the story, Anita seems to deliberately look at the show in a vacuum, when Star Wars in general has been one of the most progressive big media franchises for years now, in terms of equal gender representation.

Rey? Jyn Erso? Qi'ra? Hera Syndulla, Sabine Wren, Ahsoka Tano, Second and Ninth Sisters + Cere Junda (from Jedi: Fallen Order)... the list goes on, and I'd be willing to bet that once The Mandalorian has concluded, you'll have even more names joining that list. These tweets are going to age rapidly, and age poorly.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So do I, because her death was unusually cruel. In most jurassic park movies, there is an asshole side character that gets killed off by the dinosaur. In the first movie, that role was Nedry, where he is the one who disables the security measure in the park. In contrast, the nanny character didn't seem to like the kids, but was otherwise responsible with them and for that she didn't just die, but got an extended death where she is about to be eaten 2-3 different times before she's finally killed by the fish dinosaur. No other death in the movie felt as extended as hers, making it feel different and wierd since no other person was killed onscreen like this, and no other woman besides her was killed onscreen.

But if you just treat womens violence and deaths on par with mens, then it's honestly not that hard to just get used to the idea that this fictional world has female fighter in as much abundance as men and they get treated the same.
Yeah, this was the actual issue- gender was secondary but added to how tonally off it felt. In a series that had repeatedly had dino-on-person deaths be a) background fodder, b) karmic retribution or c) a side effect of a dangerous job, this was none of the above and was instead a gratuitous, elongated scene of her just being ripped apart. It's an absolutely bizarre scene for a Jurrasic Park film. It make slightly more sense in context of the second film effectively turning into Resident Evil w/ Dinos (and in the process showing why Dino Crisis isn't nearly as interesting as R.E.) but is still something I can't believe made it into the film as-is.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Also how do we know the Mandalorian doesn't just have a voice modular and is actually Samus

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never get the angry responses such tweets get.
What is the concern really, the Star Wars gonna get too many women with speaking roles?

Oct 26, 2017
And this. Two episodes people. Two. A far bigger conversation is why are there no women helming any of these films or spin offs? Yes I know we can talk about two things at once but you get what I'm saying here
I've always thought this as well, Disney has terrible diversity when it comes to directorial vision because they keep hiring the same type of white male director from similar backgrounds and social circles and only reach out if it's "fitting" for the subject of the movie (Black Panther, Captain marvel). A lot of it is on Disney's end, especially seeing their track record with the promotion of LGBT characters, there's like literally none.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This new era of Star Wars has had 4 major films headlined by a main female character, all of which have been successful (pretty sure Rise will do big business) so this seems like a poor faith argument considering the franchise overall has been getting more and more diverse for the better.

Considering all 4 of those films came in the last 4 years, and the lack of presence of women/people of color behind the camera/in the writer's rooms still leaves a lot to be desired, nah.

Besides, she's talking about the Mandalorian, specifically.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
there's also probably only been 6-7 minutes of dialogue in total

Yea if someone has watched these first two episodes and doesn't Immediately see the parallels with " The man with no name" character and instead wants to start a sexism, representation dialogue.
Like... ok I get it, but they're clearly going for a specific thing with these first two episodes

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
So, what is her barometer for how often a woman should have a talking role on screen? Every episode? Every 10 minutes? It seems almost silly to assign a timeline to this.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Considering all 4 of those films came in the last 4 years, and the lack of presence of women/people of color behind the camera/in the writer's rooms still leaves a lot to be desired, nah.

Besides, she's talking about the Mandalorian, specifically.
Considering she says that the Mandalorian is normalizing patriarchy I feel like the argument goes beyond the show

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Yes, people can jump on people incredibly fast when they mention some things, but it works the other way round. If it is mainly Male roles we see in the first two episodes, why don't you wait and see how the rest of the series goes before accusing? Especially as we've seen SW shining a spotlight on female characters recently.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good points. 'The Mandalorian" has been really good but I want the Obi-Wan show so bad. There is so much legends lore about later years Obi that they could pull into canon that it makes my head spin and Deborah Chow is awesome.

Chow directed episode 3 & 7 of the Mandalorian too.. so maybe we'll see [more] talking women tomorrow?

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't think of any time guys have complained there were too many female characters.

Is that due to it never happening because of a patriarchal mess, or guys preference for women on screen?
Ghostbusters
Ocean 8

Basically when a remake takes a male cast or character and gender flips them.

Most films with a all female cast tend to focus towards the female demographic and males don't even bother seeing the films unless word of mouth is good. Like Charlie's Angel's.

And I can't think of too many TV shows with a all female/majority cast that's enjoy by both men and women outside of My Little Pony.

Overall: From my what I've seen filmmakers are quick to say audiences are racists, sexist, or whatever need be as to why their action or comedy films failed. When in actuality it's a lackluster movie that simply doesn't resonate with audiences.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering she says that the Mandalorian is normalizing patriarchy I feel like the argument goes beyond the show

That statement isn't incorrect because of whatever the movies are doing. Because, again, she didn't say Star Wars, she said the Mandalorian.

I still think that take is premature, but I'd ask how often men are told "be patient, the male characters of substance are coming up soon".

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But then how is it a "quota" when the vast majority of the characters in a show are male? Anything other than a straight white male is part of a "quota" or some "forced diversity"? It's rubbish.

huh?
have you seen the mandalorian completely already or something?

or are you talking about cowboy bebop?

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
TIL we have to wait until a show has eight seasons and has been running for ten years before we can open any kind of discourse about it

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not forget that the Original Trilogy subverted tropes by making Leia into an action hero, soldier, general, and leader.

Leia's third scene in ANH has her shooting stormtroopers and saving Luke, Han, and Chewie's ass.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's an odd way to complain about something when we know from trailers and promos what we will be getting in future episodes.

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
She mentioned this in the thread, so I don't get where you're coming from calling this a bad faith argument.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really hard for some people idk why, but I'm going to guess the shit she geting is digusting and shes just like fuck it.

yeah that's my guess. I'm not reading the responses because f that, but people falling all over themselves to dogpile is sure gonna make anyone defensive, especially someone who's been the victim of targeted harassment campaigns. It wasn't a GOOD response but it's an understandable one and I think people just need to back off.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not relevant. Telling women to wait for representation is kind of silly. What "quota" are you talking about, do you want to address that?

of course is silly,

im just saying that characters need to be introduced when the story better fits it, no?

or you rather have a major character appearing and do absolutely nothing, just so you can say "there it is! She didnt do anything but there she is!"

i would rather have an great character even if it is introduced later in the story than a troublesome one since the first minute.