• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
When Saint Seiya first aired, it had gorgeous visuals

C0Kz.gif

CircularWelltodoAzurewingedmagpie-small.gif

tumblr_ms7vpf7QhJ1qbptr4o1_500.gif

ClearcutWellinformedFlatcoatretriever-size_restricted.gif

And then when the inferno aired

b76.gif

tumblr_o36bl6MhYn1s6cql7o2_500.gifv

And Soul Of Gold

a1caacn9tn88kte3172x.png

Yeah, Saint Seiya's been on a downhill ever since, so which anime suffered the same fate

Last edited:

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Ranma, particularly during those middle couple of seasons, and never really fully recovered.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
birdie the mighty discode after the first season

michiko to hatchin after the first episode

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
One Piece. But since the Wano arc it got a bit better.

Also the recent season of Seven Deadly Sins, One Punch Man too, really a lot of sequels fluctuate in quality be it due to director and staff changes, studio changes or overall lack of funding for a good schedule.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Not really fair, but Berserk:

j9nZWHd.jpg

To

Screen_Shot_2017_06_02_at_10.04.16_AM.0.png

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would also say One Piece. Not because of the backgrounds, because they seem to be the same, but the whole animation and so many stills.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
As someone watching Saint Seiya on Netflix for the first time. I gotta say it already doesn't look to hot lol. It's a bit like digimon where they cut 10-15 minutes of good animation and use those 10-15 minutes for 60+ episodes.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Dragon Ball the thread

Just compare Super to Z.

Ok

8254d0e1a78c831d68b6204e3bc83d92.gif

da2f6cdb1bdf56b66a2a336a17d89d1a.gif

I would generally agree though.
DBZ had higher heights and that hand-drawn 90s look but Super massively improved after the first arc visually and regarding animation. Both have some really good looking (Z has more of those) and some really bad looking episodes.
I don't want to defend Super btw, show looked horrible a lot of times but People really tend to overestimate how good Z looked and animated on average.

(OG DragonBall is where the series peaked so it still works)

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
One Punch Man. It's not just that the narrative as a whole became weaker in season 2, along with the voice acting, use of music, action, etc. But man does it look ugly as hell, and that's the only thing that could have redeemed it.

Season 1 looked great, so it was a real bummer.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yuri on Ice. First episode was gd gorgeous, second & third were decent, then it straight up plummeted. Although admittedly it did have its moments here and there later in the season where it looked nice again, but overall it was just... awful.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny. Started off well and after few a episodes you realize it's just filled with shittons of recycled footage and low quality character model.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Been mentioned but One Piece for me though I've seen clips where it is also perfectly fine. I miss the old animation style compared to the current one.

Ok
I would geebrally agree though.
DBZ had higher heights and that hand-drawn 90s look but Super massively improved after the first arc visually and regarding animation. Both have some really good looking (Z has more of those) and some really bad looking episodes.
I don't want to defend Super btw, show looked horrible a lot of times but People really tend to overestimate how good Z looked and animated on average.

(OG DragonBall is where the series peaked so it still works)

There is something to that hand drawn look I just really love though Super did have a lot of moments that looked great. I think everyone agrees that Super had some really bad strings like the Resurrection F arc.

It really does in a lot of places. I recently watched Goku vs Jackie Chun again and Kamehameha duel is just beautiful.

A lot of the movies look great too though even some of those get rough at times.

There were more in Seed and Destiny. Though I don't remember much recycle footage in Turn A and Gundam 00 which was released close to Seed series.

Wing was also a victim of this. X and G did as well though I feel not to the same extent. Or at least there were enough times where they'd vary it up a bit that it made up for it. G always seemed to be at its best for the really big fights.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I found some enjoyment in the recent Stand Alone Complex revival, but for the most part it looked like shit, especially for Ghost in the Shell.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Kare Kano. They went from great anime to literally doing manga cutouts instead of animation. Was and still is the jankiest shit i've ever seen. And that was within one season. Its only season.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
Yuri on Ice. First episode was gd gorgeous, second & third were decent, then it straight up plummeted. Although admittedly it did have its moments here and there later in the season where it looked nice again, but overall it was just... awful.

This was the first show that came to mind for me as well. I think they spent their whole budget on that first episode. 😂

It really does look great though.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Kill La Kill I feel doesn't get picked up enough for this. Started as this amazingly creative, frenetic, free form style series (while still having a high standard of animation quality and storyboarding) then I don't know what happened part way through, but it just went to complete shit. Super stiff animation, lots of reuse, boring storyboards and fight scenes, some truly rubbish character designs... just bad.

Yuri On Ice is a famous one. First handful of episodes has some of the nicest animation in the industry then they obviously ran out of time and budget (and or they were overly ambitious) and a lot of corners start getting cut. Still a great series overall animation wise, but there's an obvious drop in quality at a point.

I vaguely remember Claymore having this issue too, but it's been a while and I could be misremembering...

Last edited:

Yulaw

Nov 1, 2017
Haikyuu went pretty much down in terms of quality last season with the art directional change.

Also Full Metal Panic IV: Invisible Victory was awful compared to it's earlier season.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Haikyuu went pretty much down in terms of quality last season with the art directional change.

Also Full Metal Panic IV: Invisible Victory was awful compared to it's earlier season.
FMP IV is a low-budget followup to a visual masterpiece by Kyoto Animation... Watching it was pretty painful

For Gundam I think it depends of series. 00 had little recycled content but some of the later battle scenes became a bit ugly. SEED had a lot of reused footage but it was used in a way that benefited battle scale and choreography in a big way. Destiny was in a worse place but the animation was really more just a symptom of that wreck of a production...

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC, Saint Seiya changed animation studios (or something like that), so there's a noticeable drop in quality between the Sanctuary arc and the Asgard/Poseidon arcs.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
This was the first show that came to mind for me as well. I think they spent their whole budget on that first episode. 😂

It's been four years and I'm still gd salty that it won crunchyroll's best animation award over MP100. 😑
First episode's animation was amazing, sure, but it wasn't that amazing that it made up for the entire dang rest of the show lol. 🧂🧂🧂

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

Doing a show featuring ice skating performances is not an easy take. It's pretty ambitious as hell to keep it going and keeping things fresh and unique (and yes, they had to recycle a ton of animation to keep it going). I can't fault it for not maintaining the standard set in the first episode.

edit:MP100 definitely overtakes it in terms of animation quality

Oct 27, 2017
Asgard and Poseidon had great animation
Hades Inferno....nah

IIRC (and mind you, I'm speaking from memory), while the second and third arcs of the anime weren't as egregious in the drop of quality as the Hades arc, they were substantially less defined than the first arc. Like the detail in the characters themselves wasn't as good and the amount of frames in the animation was reduced, mostly as a means to cut costs on the animation.

I was looking for some resources that showed this, but all I can find is about the new spin-offs and gacha games... :/

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
People saying One Piece don't know what they're taking about. OP didn't start great and decline, it's fucking wildly inconsistent.

The anime looked fine from the beginning, getting bumps in quality as it went, reaching a peak in a lot of ways with Water 7/Thriller Bark, then dipped off slowly, reaching its worst quality post-TS, specifically in Punk Hazard and then the absolutely fucking dreadful Dressrosa, where it also became a pacing nightmare. After Dressrosa it started to improve, then it hit a point during Whole Cake where it felt like it finally started gaining momentum again.

Now in Wano it looks better than it has in years and we're getting dope shit like this pretty consistently for MINOR ASS SCENES.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Reminder that lots of anime spend lots of their time and budget on the very first episode, to appeal to the audience and hook them... It happens really often that the first episode is gorgeous then you have to wait for the last episode to get the same quality again

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny. Started off well and after few a episodes you realize it's just filled with shittons of recycled footage and low quality character model.
IIRC I remember what I've watched of SEED Destiny reusing animations from SEED at times, but it would replace the mobile suits being displayed.