• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
So I watched the pilot of "A hidden dungeon only I can explore."

And what do you know, it's just as painful and generic as I figured it would be.

It's got all the trappings of a trash isekai show (without actually being an isekai) and a trash magical high-school show all rolled up into one.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
still waiting on my Tis Time for "Torture", Princess anime

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
eizouken feel like the last two animations hsould have been reversed. Have them bite of more than they can chew and have the final episodes about them making somehting good within their limitations.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Wave!! 1

Thought process as I decided to watch it and minutes in

"Oh it's a show about a bunch of adults surfing."

"Oh they are high schoolers"

"Oh they are actually middle schoolers..."

Unexpected tbh

Also the MC blushes every single time one of the characters talks to him but I already know it's just going to be bait.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder Egg Priority 1

Holy shit people weren't kidding. What a stunning first episode and an incredible concept and direction. Give me more weird dream shit.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Slime S2 1
Not too bad a start to the season, with some good action to boot as an intro to these new characters. Odd thing is I barely remember anything from the last stretch of the season. All the Animal Kingdom and massive fight is mostly a blur.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Booted up JoJo Part 5 since I never actually finished it when it aired.

I remember Giorno used to get a bad rap in the fandom but his establishing character moment, when he steals back a woman's stolen wallet only to swipe a few bucks for himself, I love that shit.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The idea of Eizouken not being in someone's Top 10 for 2020.. is wild to me.
Not sure it'd make mine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think it peaked with the fantastic first episode. Still a solid 7/10 overall.
Rewatched The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (dubbed on HBO Max). Still ADORE that movie. The dub cast did a pretty great job, I hope more people will check it out now

The brief musical interludes have me craving a full-blown musical from the team.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (dubbed on HBO Max). Still ADORE that movie. The dub cast did a pretty great job, I hope more people will check it out now. Also it's cool watching it now that I've seen Tatami Galaxy. So many cameos lol

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Wonder Egg Priority 1
In a season with a million amazing shows to watch, this might actually be my favorite. What an unbelievable first episode. Rarely do I watch something where I'm so focused on what's on screen that I have to remind myself to even breathe.

I might have said a few shows this season were must watch, but this...this is top of the list.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, don't make me watch another... I'm intrigued, yet not caught up yet. Don't think it's on Hulu either.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Uma Musume s2e2

good ep especially with Teio actually being a sensible protagonist for once and not trying to hotblood her way through. Her facial reactions were hilarious.

It's really funny to me that after experiencing all the myriad complexities of Special Week's interiority in S1, she's basically just a gimmick side character in s2 offering carrots and Suzuka's vidchat. Lmao. Everyone's the protagonist of their own story...

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
hmm looks like animelab has wonder egg here... i should... probably resub for this seasonnnnn.........

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Haikyuu S4 Whatever number the last 3 episodes are

And it's finally over. It was a good match with plenty of highs and lows but it does kind of just go on for too long. But the unfortunate part is now having to wait for the match I actually wanted to see against Nekoma.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder Egg Priority 1

This show is going to be a lot to take in. Stunning first episode though, was completely drawn in from start to finish.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Horsies S2 02

I got the dumbell reference >_>
One thing I still can't get over from S1, is how they run in fancy, run-restructing outfits and heels :p Yeah horse-girls and not human, but c'mon :p They make it look soooo easy!

Slime S2 01

Ah good, back to how things were in S1 more so. Kids were ditched earlier than I had thought.

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
Watched the Wonder Egg premiere and I am ready for it to be the best anime of the season that absolutely nobody watches.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Taisou Zamurai 1-11
Actually surprised about the relatively score on MAL for this (7.27 at the time of writing this post), this seems like something that would get around an 8 on MAL. Not that I disagree with that score, though.

This show is kinda unique for a modern sports anime because it actually focuses on a young adult gymnast (that is also a single dad) instead of teenage high schoolers so it was a breath of fresh air in that regard. Taisou Zamurai is relatively inoffensive and straightforward, and its first episode is actually the weirdest episode. Overall the show is very light-hearted but also nothing to write home about. If you need to watch a hopeful story about overcoming your struggle then give this one a watch.

The art is above average and a lot of CGI is used in the gymnastic sequences but I did not think it ever looked really bad. The OP is a banger.

Now that I think about it, there are far more singe dad anime than single mom animes. Can't really think of any show starring a single mother.

Slime S2 1
That small recap was nice because I did not remember a lot from the first season. Nice episode overall but nothing special really.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
So Wonder Egg Priority is a Funi-only show, despite Sony owning both platforms... are they going to consolidate at some point in the future? Seems pretty silly to maintain two platforms with 90%+ overlap in shows that compete directly against each other.

(sorry, yes, this is basically the port whining of anime watching)

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
So Wonder Egg Priority is a Funi-only show, despite Sony owning both platforms... are they going to consolidate at some point in the future? Seems pretty silly to maintain two platforms with 90%+ overlap in shows that compete directly against each other.

(sorry, yes, this is basically the port whining of anime watching)
They will almost certainly consolidate at some point in the future. The acquisition hasn't actually happened yet.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
World Trigger s2 ep1

omg that was such an improvement over the first season. I honestly would love for them to remake the entire first season with these production values. Great pacing, animation, sound design. Damn.

So glad best shonen is back in animated form.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Witchblade I think? Been a long time but I don't remember a father in the picture.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Wonder Egg Priority 01

This is very very pretty. And I find it interesting but I feel they tried to cram a few too many metaphors in there. I hope future episodes stick more with exploring the characters than just trying to make everything as strange and coded as possible to make a point.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder Egg Priority 1

Fingers crossed for this show, since it feels like the kind of thing that can violently self-destruct off of one bad decision (and the protagonist could be that potential weak link). Good premiere, probably my second favourite of the season now that I've seen everything I'm interested in (sk8 still gr8 and n1).

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
12 Kingdoms 15
Gosh, just throw a whole new bunch of words at me, 12 Kingdoms. Not like I had trouble remembering the first 50 you sent my way.

Pretty interesting episode. Kemeno seems to be a Kirin but that youma called him King too. Black hair on a Kirin means... Something? Danger? An event approaching? That Youma's birth was disturbing 😬 Love the spirited away moment.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Aikatsu Planet 1

1/3 anime still fits here right?

This is literally just Pripara except the real world stuff is live action. I could question the mechanics of idols traveling between two worlds and what the audience actually sees, but I'll worry about that stuff later. What's intriguing is that this is all about idols taking on virtual appearances while in Aikatsu Planet, meaning that it's possible for idols to hide their actual identities. Or for the personas to be switched behind the scenes. It's all like Vtubers. So main character Mao gets to take over the character of Hana, the top idol. Which seems like it should cause a massive scandal that will sink Hana's company the moment the disguise is discovered. While I do not believe they will explore the repercussions of this, if they actually deal with the issues of replacing virtual talent behind the scenes I might actually be interested in this.

I have to say I'd like this a lot more if this was just all anime. The live action stuff isn't bad sure, but it loses the charm of the anime and leads to weaker voice acting. Plus the live action/anime transition feels jarring. Maybe I'll just get used to this. Mao turned an apparently sentient unicorn into her dress, which only probably sounds worse than what it is. Meanwhile in her first competition Mao, a fake with a week of actual training, beat Q-pit, the number two idol in the industry. Sure Mao/Hana had an unexpected type advantage (more questions), but when Q-pit learns what happened with Hana there is going to be some sort of reaction I want to see. Finally, while I'm still unsure about all this, the actual performances remain top-notch. Didn't realize how much I'd missed them these past few months. For now, I'll give this a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.