• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Egyptian Gods 5

This show is so wholesome....

I love it! After watching so many mediocre/boring shorts lately, this one nails it (and using unique characters). Ra's tshirt souvenirs were too much :p

Also Ra's voice is... The One Who Stalks Me in Every Anime I Watch in this Past Year :x HE'S EVERYWHERE!!

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Otherside Picnic Episode 1:

Okay, this has some very strong underground sensation potential going for it, much stronger direction and
atmosphere then I was ever expecting.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I love it! After watching so many mediocre/boring shorts lately, this one nails it (and using unique characters). Ra's tshirt souvenirs were too much :p

Also Ra's voice is... The One Who Stalks Me in Every Anime I Watch in this Past Year :x HE'S EVERYWHERE!!

Absolutely I immediately recognized him lol 😂😂 Another good ol brilliant detective...

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Blood Ironed Orphans 9-10

Unshou Ishizuka is in this and now I'm sad we won't hear his great voice in future shows.

I'm absolutely not happy with the way women get treated here.....the dude with the entire harem, the fucking talk about big titties, even the children ranking older women. Like this show is beautiful in its thematic writing and just goes knee deep in this crap for some reason....guess we gotta sell these as immature kids or something.

Golden Kamui 2-3

Man this show needs more of a budget. Lots of shots are buckling without proper animation and lots of stuff just feels flat. I'm not a fan of the background art in towns. Still enjoyable as a period piece though.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Blood Ironed Orphans 9-10

Unshou Ishizuka is in this and now I'm sad we won't hear his great voice in future shows.

I'm absolutely not happy with the way women get treated here.....the dude with the entire harem, the fucking talk about big titties, even the children ranking older women. Like this show is beautiful in its thematic writing and just goes knee deep in this crap for some reason....guess we gotta sell these as immature kids or something.
It's probably Tomino.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Got a laugh at how Uma Musume 2 had name cards for like every random horse girl walking in the background, i feel they are stealthily introducing the entire upcoming gatcha cast lol

Yet somehow the first episode was still fully focused on Taio, show didn't miss a beat and as enjoyable as ever, full of energy which is fitting for a sports anime, probably the best racing anime out there.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
BIOrphans 11

Regarding Gahlarjhorn(or whatever the heck)

pqemu.jpg

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Great Pretender S2 END
I think the only negative I have in all of this is that Edamura is left in the dark about most everything up until the very end. Even if everything worked out in the end, he really got fucked over during most of the show, including being in the dark about his dad.
I enjoyed it and there were some real strong character moments throughout, but the last stretch was a bit tougher to watch overall because of the role Edamura had to play in all of it.

I'd watch another season if one was made.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Great Pretender S2 END
I think the only negative I have in all of this is that Edamura is left in the dark about most everything up until the very end. Even if everything worked out in the end, he really got fucked over during most of the show, including being in the dark about his dad.
I enjoyed it and there were some real strong character moments throughout, but the last stretch was a bit tougher to watch overall because of the role Edamura had to play in all of it.

Agreed .

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Great Pretender S2 END

Edamura as a whole is a character I like, but actively don't want to see on screen because the series isn't kind to him. The guy deserved a chance to start again and live the life he wants but he never gets to :(

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
god uma musume really has strong 'every character is overdesigned' energy but it's still good

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I noticed about Euphonium is that a lot of characters in band wear watches. I usually see accessories on characters when its used to denote maturity or stylishness so seeing so I'm guessing musicians need to always keep track of their time during practice and performances? Just a neat little touch.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Otherside Picnic 1
I literally have zero clue what I'm watching but I enjoyed most of it.
Edamura as a whole is a character I like, but actively don't want to see on screen because the series isn't kind to him. The guy deserved a chance to start again and live the life he wants but he never gets to :(
I'm glad he takes it all in stride, but good god was I conflicted about how things turned out as well. Not sure if I deal as well as he did in the last arc because how things played out. While I think he does like working with the group, he never does have any say in when or how he plays a role in their schemes.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Otherside Picnic 1

... This is maybe the worst premiere I've seen in years? A bunch of the footage doesn't even cut together, and parts look like some of the later episodes of shows whose productions are falling apart behind the scenes. There's no sense of build-up - they go from 'hey we're talking' to 'OMG WE'RE UNDER ATTACK BECAUSE THE MUSIC SUDDENLY GOT LOUD'.

Weird, seeing as the director isn't a newbie and has done a bunch of pretty good work. Did not expect to have such a negative reaction to this.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Uma Musume s2 01

Interesting approach to a second season to sideline your first season main character and switch character focus, but seems like a good way to do it without having to metroid your MC or something. The background gags were really good, i want to gif them all. I completely forgot about the concert aspect of the show, probably because it's rubbish.

I really love how good the sense of running is in this show and how 'realistic' it feels even though all the horse girls are a) horse girls and b) in full idol outfits. Even with all that it just feels weighty, confident and powerful, kinda like the idealised version of running. I swear my pulse actually gets faster when I'm watching them run.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

He's annoying af, the whole cycle of him moralizing and saying he's gonna quit, just to predictably join up with them again got old fast

That said, I sympathized with him eventually as the show eventually makes it extremely clear how much little agency he actually has in the grand scheme of things

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i forgot to mention my absolute favourite joke in uma musume which is Teio's stupid sideways horse trot during her stage intro which I assume she got from the actual horse

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Uma Musume s2 01

Interesting approach to a second season to sideline your first season main character and switch character focus, but seems like a good way to do it without having to metroid your MC or something. The background gags were really good, i want to gif them all. I completely forgot about the concert aspect of the show, probably because it's rubbish.
They also like completely ignore the concert thing after like the 1st episode, maybe the last, so it's easier to forget, in-between are all racing goodness

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
look at this dumb shit

incredible. gods bless the uma musume team

BosSin

Oct 28, 2017
I've heard good things about the great pretender, what's the general consensus on this?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard good things about the great pretender, what's the general consensus on this?
It's likely going to be my anime of the year for 2020, but that is strictly because the pool of new IPs was fairly weak in 2020 and I weight new shows far higher than returning series for my rankings... aka if I didn't Kaguya, Fruits Basket and even Re:zero would likely be in front of it :P

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
It's likely going to be my anime of the year for 2020, but that is strictly because the pool of new IPs was fairly weak in 2020 and I weight new shows far higher than returning series for my rankings... aka if I didn't Kaguya, Fruits Basket and even Re:zero would likely be in front of it :P

Which reminds me. Are we having an AOTY thread?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Which reminds me. Are we having an AOTY thread?
I uh... don't know lol.

I feel like if we are it should go up soon.

I know I'm not motivated enough to run it.... and while I think they added some sort of site functions for calculating votes for stuff like that... I haven't a clue how it works.

I did bother to learn clocks though... cause clocks
Jan 5, 2021 at 1:00 PM

BosSin

Oct 28, 2017
I see, so it's a decent new show that seems worth giving a shot

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I enjoyed it quite a bit, but as mentioned elsewhere, there are some negatives to the show in the back half. That said, it's mostly relegated to a single character and even then, most of that is in the last few episodes. It's good overall and worth your time.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Ghost in the Shell
Umm, I kinda hated it. Very pretty but very boring. Terrible dub too. Also, this movie literally couldn't go 5 minutes without showing me a titty.
Ghost in the Shell was mindblowing when first released but aged poorly.

Stand Alone Complex is timeless.
Guess I walked into bizarro world.
BNA

Well, that was Trigger nuts. I really didn't like Nazuna at first however. I wished they explored her and Michiru's relationship more.
You and me both.
Should have been 2 cours
I don't think an extra cour would have helped, look at Kazuki Nakashima's track record.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
so...

with the manga ending in april, and the current season being only 16 episodes (which would end in late march since it started in dec)

Do we think.

A. the final season got told the end of the manga ahead of time and will have some breaks to end at the same time as the manga.

B. The final season will end in March with a to be finished movie announcement for a movie that comes out fall 2021 or spring 2022?

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
so...

with the manga ending in april, and the current season being only 16 episodes (which would end in late march since it started in dec)

Do we think.

A. the final season got told the end of the manga ahead of time and will have some breaks to end at the same time as the manga.

B. The final season will end in March with a to be finished movie announcement for a movie that comes out fall 2021 or spring 2022?

I think the Final Season will be a two parter....I hope.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
100% going to be a movie and I hate it

After the massive success of Demon Slayer film it wouldn't surprise me. I mean of course AoT movie is not going to make same money (at least in Japan) but it's big enough franchise to make a lot of money with the movie. it would mean extra cuts when it comes to content and longer wait but at least production values would be high (so nice art and animation). Of course I would prefer extra anime season.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
There's so much content left in the manga that I can't help but feel a movie after these 16 episodes would have to cut quite a lot. On the other hand, some movie production values would be much appreciated, but then it's not even guaranteed we'd get those necessarily.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
That is the Bottleneck 12
"Maybe my life is better without a head". Deep. Is this the last one. It was pretty dumb but ok for 3 minutes of my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.