• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, in this case, the comment certainly read like the user didn't "know". And that's the awkward part, when some people don't even seem to acknowledge even pretty glaring issues like on the nose pro-slavery messages.

Not seeing the show myself aside from ERA impressions, I'm not going to say much. But if the anime ever gets to a certain part for which Jex provided a plot summary in another thread and some members are still all "awesome!!!!!!" then YIKES doesn't even cut it anymore. It's to the point where people would very likely catch bans if they were to defend that content. Just like people being dismissive about the pedophilia in Made in Abyss didn't fare so well when that show got some "you should watch" sort of thread on I think it was still GAF.
You're not wrong, and I do agree. It's good to be informed of the problems, and someone's gotta do the informing. However, I don't think it's...mature, let alone useful, to respond with what essentially amounts to "it's disgusting that you like anything about this" every time anyone praises anything that happens. Which is what some people are doing, tbh.

EDIT: If there's a worse post I've ever written to be the top of a new page, I don't know what it would be. DAMN!

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I wonder how many here who currently enjoy Shield Hero would still like it if it were in a different format other than anime. Let's say it was a video game instead. One of the game's core mechanics is buying and keeping women as slaves and then using them as your personal army. How cool would everyone be with that then?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many here who currently enjoy Shield Hero would still like it if it were in a different format other than anime. Let's say it was a video game instead. One of the game's core mechanics is buying and keeping women as slaves and then using them as your personal army. How cool would everyone be with that then?
You've got a money making idea right here, you should erase this.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Hello I'm from THQ Nordic I'd like to discuss publishing rights.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Is Carol & Tuesday a Watanabe joint or is it just his name attached to it?

I'm reminded of his chief director status on Space Dandy, but really each episode was its own unique child produced by the specific people making it. I'm sure he wasn't just a figurehead, but I'm also sure it wasn't Cowboy Bebop.
I mean we won't know exactly how involved he is until the show airs but he's definitely extensively involved. He likely was heavily involved on the music side, did location scouting, has attended every major press event, has talked about how he has wanted to make a show like this, and he doesn't exactly have a lot on his plate at the current time.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

tbh that would probably make it more popular if you dressed it up in the right setting. one of my favourite and accurate descriptions of love live is 'feed girls to other girls to make them more powerful'

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, this was a really good TPN episode, I will not drop the anime after all CriticalThinker?, fuck PETA

The Mama
breaking Emma's leg
could've been better tho

The early episodes got me hooked so I continued and read the manga.

...... The series is kinda underwhelming.

That's what happens when the series starts out with one of the best shounen arcs.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds like a gacha game

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
The Night is Short, Walk on Girl
This was great. Ended up being a musical for longer than I expected.

I might be due for a Tatami Galaxy rewatch. I don't think we are far off from the next Morimi book adaptation here as well, so that's exciting.

Promised Neverland 8
I've been sticking with this mostly to see the content covered in this episode. Can't say it did much for me.
It's been mentioned frequently before but removing the inner thoughts (and in turn most of the emphasis on the plans/schemes) really removes the tension from scenes.

To leave a positive note, I like how they changed it from Ray breaking down the door from the inside to Don from the outside. That makes more sense to me! I'm surprised they changed that at all since it is such a minor thing/non issue though.

Oct 25, 2017
Is Carol & Tuesday a Watanabe joint or is it just his name attached to it?

I'm reminded of his chief director status on Space Dandy, but really each episode was its own unique child produced by the specific people making it. I'm sure he wasn't just a figurehead, but I'm also sure it wasn't Cowboy Bebop.

Watanabe is definitely the head honcho when it comes to the creative vision for the show, and I'm sure he's especially involved in the music side of things since that's what he's into. But he is serving in the chief director role, as he did on Space Dandy, with Motonobu Hori (unit direction on GitS New Movie, Napping Princess) as director. This is certainly no omnibus series like Space Dandy was, but I expecr Hori will be the person more in charge of the actual storyboard/animation/production supervision while Watanabe provides big picture creative direction and script/music supervision, sort of similar to the division of roles between Natsume and Watanabe on Space Dandy.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
However, I don't think it's...mature, let alone useful, to respond with what essentially amounts to "it's disgusting that you like anything about this" every time anyone praises anything that happens. Which is what some people are doing, tbh.

Certainly. Being needlessly antagonizing isn't good either.

Saiki Final Arc 2 END

Yare, yare. cop out of an ending. Which doesn't bother me all that much given the totally gag humour character of the series but still, if you commit this strongly to a serious and dramatic changes for characters and story in the very last episode - do have the courage&decency to not abscond seconds after.

Teruhashi was robbed.
Not going to repeat what would be just a rehash of S2 impressions but it is with generally fond feelings I leave the series overall. Decent amount of good humour and that ~48 episode long preparation for that one joke is still
VZ9cFlA.gif
VZ9cFlA.gif
VZ9cFlA.gif

Man, those 2 finale OVAs had me questioning whether I'd not rather have no (adapted) conclusion in favor of some ludicrously rushed episodes. It almost felt weird, like I accidentally sped-up the show to x2.

Anyway, what was that well-prepared joke again? Either I forgot or failed to notice. Hope it's not the latter :|

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Hold up there was pedophilia stuff in Made in Abyss? Never watched it but I've heard nothing but praise for the show.
It's very explicit in the manga, though they toned it down in the anime. It's still there, but IMO the series is still worth a watch. It would be much better if they were to remove it completely of course but unfortunately they didn't.
I understand why some people find it hard to recommend it.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I mean we won't know exactly how involved he is until the show airs but he's definitely extensively involved. He likely was heavily involved on the music side, did location scouting, has attended every major press event, has talked about how he has wanted to make a show like this, and he doesn't exactly have a lot on his plate at the current time.
Watanabe is definitely the head honcho when it comes to the creative vision for the show, and I'm sure he's especially involved in the music side of things since that's what he's into. But he is serving in the chief director role, as he did on Space Dandy, with Motonobu Hori (unit direction on GitS New Movie, Napping Princess) as director. This is certainly no omnibus series like Space Dandy was, but I expecr Hori will be the person more in charge of the actual storyboard/animation/production supervision while Watanabe provides big picture creative direction and script/music supervision, sort of similar to the division of roles between Natsume and Watanabe on Space Dandy.
Awesome! Thanks for the responses! I'll definitely try to keep an eye out as the series progresses. I'm trying to be more cognitive of the production of series I enjoy, and this ones definitely caught my eye.

Dec 28, 2018
It's very explicit in the manga, though they toned it down in the anime. It's still there, but IMO the series is still worth a watch. It would be much better if they were to remove it completely of course but unfortunately they didn't.
I understand why some people find it hard to recommend it.
Shame I was interested in watching it one day but I don't think I can stomach pedo stuff even if it is toned down.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
it's nice when you find anime you can recommend without overt qualifiers

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Awesome! Thanks for the responses! I'll definitely try to keep an eye out as the series progresses. I'm trying to be more cognitive of the production of series I enjoy, and this ones definitely caught my eye.
Watanabe is a huge music buff so I imagine he'll have lots of input and changes he'll want to do. I have my concerns as to whether he's washed or not though.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Rerided could've been a great series but it turned out to be a complete letdown. How can you make the robot apocalypse boring?

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
it's nice when you find anime you can recommend without overt qualifiers
This comes up in other threads too and it's weird because almost everything I watch doesn't really have these sort of gotchas. I guess it's as if just like any other medium, animation covers a broad range of genres and interests...

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
sometimes it's just 'stuff that is funny to japanese people needs more explanation to non-japanese people' like the extent to which japanese toilet humour/nakedness is considered non-sexualised or more childish than weird. Like, Hinamatsuri is a fantastic comedy anime but there is a lot of naked girls in there for minutes of screentime, but it's in (what I consider to be) a largely desexualised context. kancho is another thing that is relatively common in some anime that usually needs you to explain it to people unfamiliar with it.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that pokemon?

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
Yo whoever recommended me Shirobako in this thread a couple of weeks ago, good fucking shout. This is good so far. Also watching Bakuman alongside it and so far, not feeling it much. I am only 4 episodes in though, so we'll see.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Yo whoever recommended me Shirobako in this thread a couple of weeks ago, good fucking shout. This is good so far. Also watching Bakuman alongside it and so far, not feeling it much. I am only 4 episodes in though, so we'll see.

yeaaaaahhh! Don don donuts, let's go nuts!

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Isn't this bullshit two cours? So still a ways to go. But maybe some other series will manage to generate even more controversy lol
Isn't Attack on Titan going to get to THAT plot element in part 2 of Season 3? Also, I guarantee there will be more awful isekai coming.

Possibly, we are getting that bug rape anime this year.
Oh god, what show is that?

Oh, to live in another world where the big controversy this season is whether The Promised Neverland is a good adaptation or not...

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Bang Dream S2 9

Feel good festival episode par the course for the show. Or so you'd think. Hina keeps on stealing the spotlight whenever she's on-screen. Sayo and Chisato had the best activity. Poor Aya got bullied again. Holding off on RAS's band debut huh. I'd say they're waiting for Rokka to join them, but going by the preview that's not happening. Speaking of Rokka, gotta admit she's got some good stage presence. Can definitely see how Chu2 will want her. Roselia coming in for the clutch save without even needing to communicate with each other because they're that boss. Meanwhile O-Tae proves to be a bigger idiot than HHW's idiot trio and a bigger screw-up than even Sayo. Did not expect them to subvert the cliche and go, nope she's too late, tough shit. Can't even blame Chu2 and the rest of RAS when there's no indication they knew about the festival. Maybe if Tae had talked things out properly she could've handled this in the short-term, but nope. And it's just gonna get worse next episode.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There are games with this premise, if not ones with even worse takes on this.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I really hope 7 Seeds is good because that premise sounds really interesting. I'm also hoping Promare is a return to form for Trigger.

Minus the women part (which is a big part, granted) - that's lowkey what Shadow of War/Mordor is, except with the element of mental brainwashing which I'm surprised hasn't shown up in this anime.

Kyochuu Rettou. Is not all rape, but boy is that scene stuck to you once you read it.
That seems to be just an OVA. EDIT: My bad, it's an OVA then a show.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
damn if you made shadows of mordor and filled it full of anime girls + nemesis system you would probably make bank

Dec 28, 2018
My Love Story Episode 1-3

Wanting to give the romance genre another whirl I asked some people for suggestions. One of those suggestions was My Love Story so I decided to watch this one first. And my god
hnnnnng.jpg

It was so damn cute man I had a stupid grin on my face the whole time. It's so wholesome, Takeo and Yamato are so cute together and Suna is such a bro. Maybe I do have bad taste but for whatever reason this show did more for me than Kaguya Sama. This show is gonna kill me with it's cuteness.
Possibly, we are getting that bug rape anime this year.
tenor.gif

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

So Pokemon and Fate? :P I mean, take out a few key words there, and that's essentially the premise of both.

Just kidding... I think.

Oct 25, 2017
Promised Neverland Episode 8

Weird music choice for the scene with the post cancellation of Ray and Mom's cooperation. Thought it was too happy sounding for the content being shown.

Don finally did something worthwhile, but I'd prefer Ray having gotten out of there himself. It made him seem weak and incapable, same for the scene when his hands around wrapped around Mom's waist and he's trying to do what? Didnt really understand that part.

Krone's part was good.

Also how was norman still at the wall, but Mom was back at the house, and she said his shipment date is set and he's reacting?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Promised Neverland 08

As an anime only watcher I still felt the dread of both halves of the episode. A lot of the mystery aspects of the show have fallen flat, but the thriller aspects are still pretty strong. I don't know if that's just due to the writing of the source material, or if it's the director of the anime being able to still convey the thriller aspects of the material to the small screen.

Honestly, the only criticisms I've heard from at least this episode is from the manga viewers.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Slave women = pokemon. Gotcha.

There are games with this premise, if not ones with even worse takes on this.
And?

So Pokemon and Fate? :P I mean, take out a few key words there, and that's essentially the premise of both.

Just kidding... I think.
Boy am I glad none of y'all are seeing the issue here.

I said remove anime from the premise. So no, no gatcha, no jrpg, no tig ol biddies. Would you still play it?

The only reason I see people even agreeing to watch that piece of demeaning crap called Shield Hero, is because it's animated. It's got bright colours and a relateable protagonist.

Make it live action and westernised would you still watch it?

Remove that gloss and you've got nothing but a show that says a woman is either a harridan or a purchasable object.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017

The concept of enjoying a narrative and participating in one doesn't feel equivalent IMO, especially when acts depicted as being taken out of a lack of options vs a first choice in the narrative are being proactively selected by the player.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I said remove anime from the premise. So no, no gatcha, no jrpg, no tig ol biddies. Would you still play it?

The only reason I see people even agreeing to watch that piece of demeaning crap called Shield Hero, is because it's animated. It's got bright colours and a relateable protagonist.

Remove that gloss and you've got nothing but a show that says a woman is either a harridan or a purchasable object.
Peaople watched Game of Thrones

they had that dude grooming 20+ children as sex slave at some point

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Slave women = pokemon. Gotcha.

And?

Boy am I glad none of y'all are seeing the issue here.

Ok Let's say it is a western RPG that has this type of system.
Well I think it would be very criticized and probably banned in some countries

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
The concept of enjoying a narrative and participating in one doesn't feel equivalent IMO, especially when acts depicted as being taken out of a lack of options vs a first choice in the narrative are being proactively selected by the player.

I'm saying the only reason anyone accepts the narrative is because it's anime. If it was an American cartoon you would be livid with anger.

Peaople watched Game of Thrones

they had that dude grooming 20+ children as sex slave at some point
And was that done by a protagonist or an antagonist?

Status
Not open for further replies.