• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Although I understand where you're coming from, I suspect, in the current production climate, animating a bunch of atypical designs like this would have both led to undesirable sterilization of the designs for the sake of easier animation and a ridiculous amount of even more undesirable QUALITY.
The insect/animal hybrids in the HxH Chimera Ant arc were pretty atypical and the team managed to make it work so I don't really think that's a good excuse.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So a friend of mine recommended Love Is War, and honestly I'm kinda loving it.

Some aspects are a little repetitive (the narration in particular) but it's such a fun and cute concept that I can't help but love it so far.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Kiznaiver was better than it had any right to be, but it still fell just short of being great.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
The insect/animal hybrids in the HxH Chimera Ant arc were pretty atypical and the team managed to make it work so I don't really think that's a good excuse.

That was approaching like 6 years ago by a functional Madhouse deep in a property they obviously cared about whereas the current climate is this adaptational wasteland where for every one Mob Psycho, Killing Bites, or Jojo Pt 4, you have a dozen Golden Kamuy or Berserk and a whole lot of should've, could've been.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I had some time to waste so I translated another one of Tony Valente (Radiant's author)'s interviews. I posted it on Reddit. He talks about the anime adaptation, and I found this part extra interesting since I didn't know that this was how anime were produced:

Tony: I think it was *laughs*, at the previous Japan Expo, in 2016, I had a phone meeting with Radiant's Japanese publishers who were telling me "A producer approached us - it doesn't really mean anything, but the NHK wants to know if the rights are available." So, we talked about it for a few months. Toei also approached us to make a cartoon at around the same time, within 2-3 months, saying "are the rights available?". For some time, a few months, we had some back and forth with Toei and the NHK - between us and Toei, and us and the NHK -, and each time it moved the process forward. It's important to know that when producers are working on a project, they have plenty of them, and "skim" them off as they progress, a little bit like La Nouvelle Star [a French Got Talent-like show], and at the end there's a single one left. It'll then be shown the year, in the slot they've chosen. So in our case, Toei, in the last three choices they had, they chose something else instead of radiant, which left the field free for the NHK to continue to advance, from meeting to meeting, until they finally obtained the rights at that Japan Expo 2017, the day after, or maybe 2-3 days after having told us "Actually, we're go".

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
That was approaching like 6 years ago by a functional Madhouse deep in a property they obviously cared about whereas the current climate is this adaptational wasteland where for every one Mob Psycho, Killing Bites, or Jojo Pt 4, you have a dozen Golden Kamuy or Berserk and a whole lot of should've, could've been.
You're awfully pessimistic but I suppose that pessimism isn't unwarranted. Better to have low expectation I suppose.

Nothing about the production of Hunter x Hunter 2011 was typical and I can't imagine we'll see its like again.
Perhaps I was giving the current industry climate a bit too much credit. Well shit, you people are just making me sad about the sorry state of the industry. It was already pretty bad back then but to think that it has gotten a whole lot worse.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shield Hero 05

(pauses video, rubs temples in forehead)

......why would she put the slave seal back on?

No, really.....why would they fucking put the slave seal back on?

This was the show's chance to back away a bit from the whole slavery controversy. The last episode was supposed to prove that she was loyal to him through thick-and-thin, a revelation that both metaphorically and quite literally cause him to open his eyes. To even taste food again (I'm not sure if that's an actual corruption thing or just a metaphor, whatever).

This was their chance to be an equal partnership borne from a shitty situation. I didn't mind the whole "buying a slave" thing from the beginning, because at that point it was established that the protagonist was not a good person and was also desperate. With the removal of the seal in episode 4 and a realization that he wasn't entirely alone in the world, this could have been the start of his redemption.

And the first fucking thing she does is have the slave seal put back on, and even treating it like some sort of kinky tattoo.

Furthermore, I was also frustrated in the previous episode with Spear Hero.

Because the one thing they could have done to sell the absurdity of the rape charge was stick to the other three heroes being narcisistic pieces of shit. In other words "We know this accusation is bullshit, but we also don't give a shit what happens to you."

By showing Spear as being all full of justice and then starting to think that maybe Shield wasn't a bad guy, it changes him from being an asshole to instead being a fucking moron. Which, weirdly enough, makes him far more hateable.

I can't fucking believe they put the slave seal back on.

......so now I'm debating whether to continue the show. I was having a good anime rotation with at least one new episode filling every day of the week (Dororo, Mob, Shield, Neverland, JoJo, One Piece, leaving just two days to fill in with whatever). And there's still things I like about the concept of the series. I still think Shield and Raphtalia had a good build-up, at least before this point.

But now....I dunno.

I feel less guilty enjoying Goblin Slayer. That one had a very misguided first episode, but it's been solid after that.

Last edited:

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Shield Hero episode 5

Well, at least that slave shit seems to be over and done with.

*Slave girl puts the damn thing back on willingly*

OH COME ON!

And of course the fat chocobo turns into a winged loli thereby making the harem pretty much official. Of fucking course.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shield Hero (five minutes into) episode 5

Well, at least that slave shit seems to be over and done with.

*Slave girl puts the damn thing back on willingly*

OH COME ON!

I know, fucking hell.

Not even an excuse like "oh her level was tied to the seal so she needs to keep it or start over."

No, instead it's a...a....

A SYMBOLIC GESTURE.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Indeed, is it so hard for people to find junk food anime that doesn't include beyond horrible attributes of misogyny, trying to prop up the idea of false rape claims when we live a society where women live in fear of ever speaking out and having fucking slavery with a fucking both sides message about it (my fucking god, having her say I like being his slave...). Yes most junk food anime have problematic content/views, but Shield Hero makes them look minuscule. And before anyone goes oh but it gets better, no I've read the source material (because I hate myself), so don't bullshit me about it. This is not including the WN version which includes even more horrible elements of forced rape, guro and some other "fun" nuggets. While they may of been removed from the LN/Manga it doesn't change the fact that the author thought that such horrible and disgusting views/scenes are perfectly acceptable ideas. Even if editors clean up that shit, the oozes of the authors views still drip into the finished product in the same way Gate's nationalistic views were still seen coating the product even after editors attempt to clean it up.
I'm honestly more baffled at how Crunchyroll decided to not only license but also co-produce it.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Is Ninja Scroll any good? (film or series)

I adore the film but the exploitative stuff with the women really did not age well (it was never good, I was just too young to understand why it was bad). it's beautifully animated and has some great action but I'd be reluctant to mention it to someone as any sort of anime recommendation nowadays. However, I do think it fits neatly within the chanbara space and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it there.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Kiznaiver is underrated but my boy Hiroshi Kobayashi seriously needs to stop getting cucked by Mari Okada scripts that don't stick the landing

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
All downhill since Inferno Cop
No such place exists.

Why y'all lying tho :3

No but for real, those were both mediocre
Don't you dare besmirch Kobayashi's Magnus Opus.
Is Ninja Scroll any good? (film or series)
I though it (movie) was straight up bad when I watched it. IIRC the story is mostly a sort of boss rush with little interesting inbetween and I don't think those fights struck me as anything particularly impressive. If you just want a good time and are not doing it out of some 'encyclopedic' endeavour to fill in the blanks I don't think you'd be missing much.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I'm honestly more baffled at how Crunchyroll decided to not only license but also co-produce it.
because Era is not a good indicator of what's popular. Most people on other places aren't having problems with Shield Hero and are really enjoying it. All of my friends recommend Shield Hero to me and so far I am loving it.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Shield Hero 05

She was cuter as a giant chicken.

She spends a lot of time in Fat Chocobo mode, actually.

because Era is not a good indicator of what's popular. Most people on other places aren't having problems with Shield Hero and are really enjoying it. All of my friends recommend Shield Hero to me and so far I am loving it.

Yeah of the friends I have who watch anime, all of them are either watching Shield Hero or have it on PTW. *shrugs* I dunno man, Goblin Slayer made me way more uncomfortable to watch than this.

And Reincarnated as a Slime is better than both.

Oct 25, 2017
You're awfully pessimistic but I suppose that pessimism isn't unwarranted. Better to have low expectation I suppose.

Perhaps I was giving the current industry climate a bit too much credit. Well shit, you people are just making me sad about the sorry state of the industry. It was already pretty bad back then but to think that it has gotten a whole lot worse.

There are certainly major problems with the anime industry today, and the sheer number of anime being made does mean there will be a lot of misfires, but I think to consider the current industry a unique wasteland for adaptations requires a bit of historical forgetfulness. Inevitably the bad or simply mediocre stuff gets consigned to the dustbin of history - no one wants to remember things like the Blade of the Immortal or Eyeshield 21 anime adaptations - and I think that can help to create an unduly rosy image of the past compared with the fresh badness of today which hasn't had time to be forgotten.

Also, while Hunter X Hunter 2011 is a fairly consistent production from an animation perspective, I don't think it's really that spectacular as an adaptation - the 1999 anime is better in that regard. Moreover, contra Jexhius, we have seen its production like again in Pokemon Sun and Moon, a current long-running show that has retained fairly consistent animation strength through its whole run - and actually, with all the Pokemon designs, is a good example that attractive 2D animation of non-human designs is possible in today's TV anime industry, even if it requires an unusually well maintained production (although that's the case for attractive 2D animation of human designs too!). I don't think Beastars' anthropomorphic cast would make it impossible for it to get a good-looking 2D anime adaptation in the right hands - a solid team at a studio such as KyoAni or Bones would be able to pull it off. Of course, if you're just throwing darts randomly it'd be more likely to end up with a bad team doing a bad adaptation. I think fans of Beastars should be happy it's ended up with Orange as compared to many other CG or 2D anime studios who would have a much lower likelihood of turning out a solid production.

mod post

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
On shield hero: You are allowed to discuss this show and its controversy, but be aware that the usual rules against defending things like slavery and blatant misogyny still apply. Any posts that violate the rules on such topics will receive a ban.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Also, while Hunter X Hunter 2011 is a fairly consistent production from an animation perspective, I don't think it's really that spectacular as an adaptation - the 1999 anime is better in that regard. Moreover, contra Jexhius, we have seen its production like again in Pokemon Sun and Moon, a current long-running show that has retained fairly consistent animation strength through its whole run.
You're correct here, but I feel that the production realities of these kid's shows are distinct from the rest of the anime industry. I don't have any evidence for this line of thinking, but it just strikes me that they operate in a slightly different space to the rest of the industry. When I made that comment I was thinking of the rest of the industry e.g. manga adaptations (and the smattering of original works).

This isn't meant to be a knock against the production quality of Sun & Moon, which I have not seen enough o

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Hanebado! 1
So, someone in the AOTY thread described this as "women getting really angry at each other" and, honestly, that piqued my interest. After watching the first ep I'm all in. Direction and art were excellent and I'm here for "traumatised young people metaphorically killing one another through sport".

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hanebado! 1
So, someone in the AOTY thread described this as "women getting really angry at each other" and, honestly, that piqued my interest. After watching the first ep I'm all in. Direction and art were excellent and I'm here for "traumatised young people metaphorically killing one another through sport".
You're in for a great time. It's girls staring at each other like they want to murder the other because of badminton, and the master of it is the protagonist.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Boogiepop 1-3

Not big on these shows that lean on nonlinear plotting and a huge cast of characters as a replacement for actual substance. Could barely make out who was who by the end of what presumably was the first arc. Natsume's presence also basically nonexistent thus far.

Having said all that though, Kensuke Ushio's soundtrack and Keiichiro Saito's ED both rule, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Hanebado! 1
For the most part it a pretty decent show with those ridiculous moments being the highlights.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
I should probably finish Hanebado. Sorta forgot about it around episode 6 after that run of episodes where it was just batshit villains bullying Ayano into the dirt every time lol

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
You're correct here, but I feel that the production realities of these kid's shows are distinct from the rest of the anime industry. I don't have any evidence for this line of thinking, but it just strikes me that they operate in a slightly different space to the rest of the industry. When I made that comment I was thinking of the rest of the industry e.g. manga adaptations (and the smattering of original works).

This isn't meant to be a knock against the production quality of Sun & Moon, which I have not seen enough o
As someone who has watched quite a few kid's shows, stuff like Precure and Sun & Moon aren't the norm. Just like most late night anime, they are mostly bog standard affairs. Of course, if there's anyone out there who watches a metric boatload of kid's shows and have a different opinion, feel free to correct me.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Shield Hero ep.5
Great, just what we need, a new loli character, sigh...... The rest of the show isn't worth discussing here.

Oh and fu(k the princess, the pole hero and the king... Terrible antagonists....

3D Kanojo S2 ep.5
Nice a 2nd ship is all confirmed now. awkward,cute cute, so it fits the show well.

Black Clover ep.69
The past couple episodes really feel like filler episodes, unless they really are trying to ship Cpt. Yami with one of these ladies.

Winter Sonata Ep.1
I wanted to give this a try, but the Korean language is so jarring compared to the Japanese I'm used to hearing so I don't think I can do it. Maybe I'll try watching it with no sound at all, like I do with Black Clover most of the time, lol.

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Black Clover ep.69
The past couple episodes really feel like filler episodes, unless they really are trying to ship Cpt. Yami with one of these ladies.

This isn't filler, it's just a part of the manga that's been stretched out. If they stop where I think they are, episode 70 would've been a perfect stopping point for Black Clover as an anime. They could've condensed this by a few episodes and ended it at an even sixty five and come back in a year.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
This isn't filler, it's just a part of the manga that's been stretched out. If they stop where I think they are, episode 70 would've been a perfect stopping point for Black Clover as an anime. They could've condensed this by a few episodes and ended it at an even sixty five and come back in a year.

for some reason I thought they were going with 100 episodes and it was going to be a full adaptation. Is that not going to be the case?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
for some reason I thought they were going with 100 episodes and it was going to be a full adaptation. Is that not going to be the case?

My mistake, that post was phrased badly. I meant if they stop next episode where I think they will. The series currently has no scheduled end date, and will likely run a minimum of 104 episodes. That won't be a "full" adaptation though, as the manga is still going at the moment. It's in the middle of an arc, no less. That's a bit of why I wish they would've stopped sooner. There's only one more "Complete" arc left, the next one is still going at sixty chapters and counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.