• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Also it's not really an straight isekai but I really love Maou-sama because it is effectively one of those "we're going to introduce concepts from the real world into this one and it's unquestionably going to improve everybody's life" style power fantasies, except those changes are stuff like 'three field rotation' or 'we invented the printing press' and it deals way more with the ways existing political factions want to deny, subvert or adopt these improvements and their effects on wider society.

I heard the anime wasn't very good unfortunately.

Same writer as log horizon (tax-evasion sensei)
the real maou-sama is a great reverse isekai
myanimelist.net

Hataraku Maou-sama!

Striking fear into the hearts of mortals, the Demon Lord Satan begins to conquer the land of Ente Isla with his vast demon armies. However, while embarking on this brutal quest to take over the continent, his efforts are foiled by the hero Emilia, forcing Satan to make his swift retreat through...

:P

the only other maou sama I see is https://myanimelist.net/anime/38297/Maou-sama_Retry?q=Maou-sama

which was written by Kurone Kanzaki.

Thus I have to conclude you are actually talking about https://myanimelist.net/anime/14833/Maoyuu_Maou_Yuusha which is not a maou sama :P

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the real maou-sama is a great reverse isekai
myanimelist.net

Hataraku Maou-sama!

Striking fear into the hearts of mortals, the Demon Lord Satan begins to conquer the land of Ente Isla with his vast demon armies. However, while embarking on this brutal quest to take over the continent, his efforts are foiled by the hero Emilia, forcing Satan to make his swift retreat through...

:P

the only other maou sama I see is https://myanimelist.net/anime/38297/Maou-sama_Retry?q=Maou-sama

which was written by Kurone Kanzaki.

Thus I have to conclude you are actually talking about https://myanimelist.net/anime/14833/Maoyuu_Maou_Yuusha which is not a maou sama :P

its the better maou-sama lmao but yeah i always mix those two up.

i wish hataraku maou-sama was better tbh

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I love her bushy eyelashes and think it makes design be a bit different, and superior, to Emilia's.
In fact we need more bushy eyelashes for female anime characters
disgstd.gif

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Billionaire Detective 3

Wow that last bit jumped the shark in such a satisfying way. This show is a mess that is so entertaining. Right into my veins.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Well I think either tonight or tomorrow I'll start watching OreGairu back from S1 so I can watch S3 before it finishes. Haven't watched the first two seasons since they aired.

Also gonna start watching the Gundam 1979 movies.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
One interesting part of The Twelve Kingdoms was how most people who got isekai'd into that world cannot understand the language at all. The main character was an exception for various reasons, but most people have to hope they're in a country friendly to them or they're shit out of luck, doomed to spend the rest of their lives isolated and unable to communicate properly with anyone.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Well I think either tonight or tomorrow I'll start watching OreGairu back from S1 so I can watch S3 before it finishes. Haven't watched the first two seasons since they aired.

Also gonna start watching the Gundam 1979 movies.

Def recommended as many if not most of us had no idea WTF was going on during the first episode of S3.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Wooooof, Crunchy is losing quite a few shows tomorrow.

Action Heroine Cheer Fruits
AKB0048
AMNESIA
Aoharu x Machinegun
ARGEVOLLEN
BAKUON!!
Battle Girl High School
Bodacious Space Pirates
Broken Blade
Captain Earth
Celestial Method
ClassicaLoid
CROSS ANGE Rondo of Angel and Dragon
Cuticle Detective Inaba
DEVIL SURVIVOR 2 THE ANIMATION
Dog & Scissors
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Dynamic Chord
Engaged to the Unidentified
Fantasista Doll
Flip Flappers
Frame Arms Girl
Girlish Number
Girls Beyond the Wasteland
GLASSLIP
Gourmet Girl Graffiti
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Hakuoki
Humanity Has Declined
Invaders of the Rokujyoma?
KINMOZA! (All Seasons)
La storia della Arcana Famiglia
Long Riders!
Magic of Stella
Magical Play
Magical Warfare
Majikoi Oh! Samurai Girls
Mashiroiro Symphony
Matoi the Sacred Slayer
MEGANEBU!
Momo Kyun Sword
momokuri
Nakaimo - My Sister is Among Them!
Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Nobunaga the Fool
Norn9
One Week Friends
Phi Brain (All Seasons)
Photo Kano
Queen's Blade Rebellion
Rail Wars!
Re-Kan!
RIN-NE (All Seasons)
Rozen Maiden
Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen
Sakura Trick
Samurai Bride
Samurai Jam-Bakumatsu Rock
SHIROBAKO
So, I Can't Play H!
Soni-Ani: SUPER SONICO THE ANIMATION
Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3
Tari Tari
The Comic Artist and His Assistants
The Dragon Dentist
The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior
The Severing Crime Edge
Tribe Cool Crew
Tsuritama
Un-Go
Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle
Uta no Prince Sama (All Seasons)
Wakaba*Girl
Wish Upon the Pleiades
Wizard Barristers
YUYUSHIKI
Zettai Boei Leviatan

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Wooooof, Crunchy is losing quite a few shows tomorrow.

Action Heroine Cheer Fruits
AKB0048
AMNESIA
Aoharu x Machinegun
ARGEVOLLEN
BAKUON!!
Battle Girl High School
Bodacious Space Pirates
Broken Blade
Captain Earth
Celestial Method
ClassicaLoid
Cuticle Detective Inaba
Dog & Scissors
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Dynamic Chord
Engaged to the Unidentified
Fantasista Doll
Flip Flappers
Frame Arms Girl
Girlish Number
Girls Beyond the Wasteland
GLASSLIP
Gourmet Girl Graffiti
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Hakuoki
Humanity Has Declined
KINMOZA! (All Seasons)
La storia della Arcana Famiglia
Long Riders!
Magic of Stella
Magical Play
Magical Warfare
Majikoi Oh! Samurai Girls
Mashiroiro Symphony
Matoi the Sacred Slayer
MEGANEBU!
Momo Kyun Sword
momokuri
Nakaimo - My Sister is Among Them!
Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Nobunaga the Fool
Norn9
One Week Friends
Phi Brain (All Seasons)
Photo Kano
Queen's Blade Rebellion
Rail Wars!
Re-Kan!
RIN-NE (All Seasons)
Rozen Maiden
Sakura Trick
Samurai Bride
Samurai Jam-Bakumatsu Rock
SHIROBAKO
So, I Can't Play H!
Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3
Tari Tari
The Comic Artist and His Assistants
The Dragon Dentist
The Severing Crime Edge
Tribe Cool Crew
Tsuritama
Un-Go
Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle
Uta no Prince Sama (All Seasons)
Wakaba*Girl
Wish Upon the Pleiades
Wizard Barristers
YUYUSHIKI
Zettai Boei Leviatan
Presumably these are going to streaming services owned by their actual licensors?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
yeah a lot of those are on hidive already but its definitely a blow to crunchy

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018

Oh I watched it, it's just bad. Weird flashback filter. Transparently emotionally manipulative, which usually doesn't bother me but did we really need his backstory of being a screw up and coming to terms with it? I think the show has established him enough that this is just unnecessary filler and it just doesn't add anything to him but an prologue after the fact.

Oct 25, 2017

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I literally only recognize Shirobako, I can't tell if that should terrify me or relief me.
I recognize...

AKB0048
Bodacious Space Pirates (decent show)
Broken Blade
Captain Earth
ClassicaLoid
Dog & Scissors (very meh show)
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Flip Flappers (this one is supposed to be good)
Frame Arms Girl
GLASSLIP
Humanity Has Declined (this one is supposed to be good)
Majikoi Oh! Samurai Girls (I wish I didn't know this one)
MEGANEBU!
One Week Friends (this one is supposed to be good)
Phi Brain (All Seasons)
Queen's Blade Rebellion (I wish I didn't know this one)
RIN-NE (All Seasons) (this one is from the inuyasha/ranma creator so it's sad you don't know it :P)
Rozen Maiden
Sakura Trick
SHIROBAKO
So, I Can't Play H!
The Dragon Dentist
Tsuritama
Un-Go (fun show)
Wizard Barristers
Zettai Boei Leviatan

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
it's unfortunate that unabashed praise for isekai horsecrap makes me crawl out of my swamp to actually post

To begin with, how is it possible for anyone to watch the flashback re:zero episode and not have major complaints about the visual deficiencies that are so severe they cross the line into being intrusive? Like there's some bizarre pseudo fisheye blur applied to the edges of the screen on top of the horrible coloring and filter choices. This isn't equivalent to Shaft or its staff graduates using bizarre filters in a way that's experimental that might not work...it's literally just a transparent and lazy attempt to apply a "sentimental" mood to a reflective episode.

And to that end what a tiresomely useless piece of the story the episode was. Subaru's parents are just kind of thin and exaggerated caricatures that don't really make very much sense. The way they are presented as unconditionally loving for letting their son just stop going to school without doing anything to course correct that is just irresponsible, stupid, and in reality uncaring. I don't really buy into the show needing to establish 'loss' as a theme connected to his old life when it's a recurring theme inside the fantasy world for Subaru as is, and his old life feels almost impossibly inconsequential when all of his growth and motivation exists in the fantasy world he was transported to. The concept of Subaru not being able to take care of his parents when they're older would be something that matters if they were like...actually part of the story and his life or if they adequately took care of him, but that's just not the reality we know.

There are other aspects to the scenario here that I don't have the time or energy to comment on, but lots of the storytelling here is just Subaru relaying information about his own evolving character traits in a very dry fashion without anything actually happening. None of the events being recollected on actually involve any other character, so the influence of others, including his parents, is something sold to the audience with no actual receipt.

No you got it, this sums up my thoughts to a T.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
No you got it, this sums up my thoughts to a T.
Yeah this, except, you know, not as caustic.

He never thought about his parents at all in season 1, him being a shut-in was never brought up past the opening episodes and his parents turned out to be caricatures. It was a blatant pull at emotions that didn't have anything shown in the past to justify it. And I'm 90% sure it'll never be mentioned again.

Let's compare that to Bookworm Isekai, that does the same thing only a season ago.
Main's thoughts on her mother increase as the season goes on and as she realises she took in a lot more than she expected from her. As Main starts to grow as a person she realises she treated her mum pretty crap. She compares her current family with her previous life and begins to regret a lot. It finally culminates in a scene where in a dream sequence she thanks her mum and says goodbye.

Re: Zero took that entire arc and boiled it down to 22 minutes. It's shoddy pacing and writing.

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I can almost count on one hand the titles I even recognize.

I literally only recognize Shirobako, I can't tell if that should terrify me or relief me.

Only Shirobako really stands out, but I also like Bodacious Space Pirates, Yuyushiki and Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. Been meaning to get around to Humanity Has Declined tho.

Still, between Amazon, Netflix etc snatching up some stuff it is getting more difficult to justify my year sub. I might swap over to month to month whenever something I actually want to watch comes around.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I watched it, it's just bad. Weird flashback filter. Transparently emotionally manipulative, which usually doesn't bother me but did we really need his backstory of being a screw up and coming to terms with it? I think the show has established him enough that this is just unnecessary filler and it just doesn't add anything to him but an prologue after the fact.
For me at least i feel this story won't work as a prologue very well, it only works here cause it presents a grown subaru against his former self, and present us with a fuller picture . This kind of reflection episode wouldn't happen naturally at the beginning, it also still manage to add more to his character and explain a lot of his early behavior, while sure they spent a lot of time exploring his character before there was still missing pieces that weren't obvious to us and this episode helps a lot in this regard which I appreciated.

but above all else, his parents presence alone were just very entertaining to me and that would be enough to me personally, but i understand othes won't find them amusing like that tho.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
For me at least i feel this story won't work as a prologue very well, it only works here cause it presents a grown subaru against his former self, and present us with a fuller picture . This kind of reflection episode wouldn't happen naturally at the beginning, it also still manage to add more to his character and explain a lot of his early behavior, while sure they spent a lot of time exploring his character before there was still missing pieces that weren't obvious to us and this episode helps a lot in this regard which I appreciated.

but above all else, his parents presence alone were just very entertaining to me and that would be enough to me personally, but i understand othes won't find them amusing like that tho.

I didn't mean it works as a prologue it just adds like one. I think Subaru's motivations and change have little to do with his parents, he is already changed because of his fantasy world, so I don't know what exactly are the parents words doing here. I think his parents are entertaining and while on the surface they are wholesome...scrutiny clearly labels them as at best inept and at worst negligent. So yeah this just didn't work, it's clearly manipulative and to an end that feels superfluous at this point, maybe if the witch is testing his nature this works would be my guess???

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mean it works as a prologue it just adds like one. I think Subaru's motivations and change have little to do with his parents, he is already changed because of his fantasy world, so I don't know what exactly are the parents words doing here. I think his parents are entertaining and while on the surface they are wholesome...scrutiny clearly labels them as at best inept and at worst negligent. So yeah this just didn't work, it's clearly manipulative and to an end that feels superfluous at this point, maybe if the witch is testing his nature this works would be my guess???
Isn't this supposed to be a test of his nature though? That's pretty much what I gathered by him having to overcome a challenge (Him going to school) he left behind.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Isn't this supposed to be a test of his nature though? That's pretty much what I gathered by him having to overcome a challenge (Him going to school) he left behind.

Sure, I guess that is what will get spelled out with the witch next episode. The episode is not interested in the test angle but exposing Subaru's change, I think it just fumbles it.

Oct 25, 2017
nostalgic feelings looking at this.
EeOTUtDU8AA4Qgf

I guess [C] The Money of Soul and POssibility Control was the first that got me into things way back then. (anohana, no.6, guilty crown, tsuritama, samumenco, rampo kitan game of laplace, battery, Dive! Banana Fish, Sarazanmai, given...my favorites)

Status
Not open for further replies.