• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Your Name

giphy.gif

Was absolutely pissing it down where I live yesterday, so stuck this on even though I've seen it like 5 times already, and I haven't stopped thinking about it since.

Doesn't help I've now warmed up to the OP, before i always thought it was super cheesy having an tv style OP in a movie, but for some reason after this viewing I'm completely won over by it, something about those visuals and that Radwimps song together just hits.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
wheres my overpowered girl protag show? Off the top of my head for isekais you have the villainess line, spider, and bookworm right? and they're all underpowered or political mostly?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
wheres my overpowered girl protag show? Off the top of my head for isekais you have the villainess line, spider, and bookworm right? and they're all underpowered or political mostly?
Hayasaki Ayano in Hanebado is overpowered, being the protagonist in a sports anime where she's not actually the underdog but the villain everyone wants to beat but can't.

I think Medaka from Medaka Box is supposed to be this; couldn't watch past episode 1.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Hayasaki Ayano in Hanebado is overpowered, being the protagonist in a sports anime where she's not actually the underdog but the villain everyone wants to beat but can't.

I think Medaka from Medaka Box is supposed to be this; couldn't watch past episode 1.
Medaka is so ridiculous in power -in the best way-, and even then she doesn't even compare to another girl in the manga who have like infinite different abilities of all kinds and basically at a goddess level, she had so many abilities in fact that there was an infamous set of pages where it's basically a giant wall text for all her abilities that she used on some enemies, and it goes on and on for like 5 pages, i am surprised the translators even bothered

i miss this manga

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Medaka is so ridiculous in power -in the best way-, and even then she doesn't even compare to another girl in the manga who have like infinite different abilities of all kinds and basically at a goddess level, she had so many abilities in fact that there was an infamous set of pages where it's basically a giant wall text for all her abilities that she used on some enemies, and it goes on and on for like 5 pages, i am surprised the translators even bothered

i miss this manga
Medeka...now that's a name I haven't heard in awhile.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
God of High School Episode 4:

Christ almighty and I thought Tower of God was bad with adaptational compression but taking an entire WWE Wedding Angle into one episode takes the fucking cake and the piss.
Publisher: go read the source material! It sure seems like the majority of adaptations these days are truly glorified advertisements and primers for the source material.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
GoH 4
What a strange episode. Half the marriage stuff felt almost like a flashback due to how things were cut, but because it was happening in the present it felt like we missed a ton of stuff between proposal and marriage. Even bigger turn was that it was all the work of an enemy stand instead of some more generic asshole reason he wanted to marry her.

The cut at the end also way off and I expected Daewi to have the opposite reaction to the tournament instead of rage all over Mira. This episode was severely sloppy, chopped up, and needed a bit of room to breathe.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
by the by, crunchyroll updated their android app at least and its... well the UI redesign is okay and it doesn't seem to drop connection between episodes on that weird way the last one did, however now it slaps a mandatory UP NEXT image on the last 20 seconds of an ep (this is awful for post-credits skits etc) and you can't seem to disable to auto-switch to the next episode, at least not from a cursory glance into the options menu

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the spider does start underpowered......because she starts in the strongest dungeon in the world.
When she finally gets out, she's stronger than 99% of the rest of the world, but I guess that does take around the first third-ish/half? of the series to happen.

I'm pretty sure I have read some OP girl light novels, but I'm not sure if most have even gotten manga adaptions, so maybe they weren't that popular?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Furuba S2 17

More Tohru x Kyou and seems like she's (slowly) realizing she has more special feelings for him. What a tease >_>

Have they said how many eps are left? 17/25 (if they go that route) just doesn't feel like it's enough.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Fruits Basket S2 17
Far more light-hearted than last week, even if you could easily sense how Kyo was feeling for most of the episode. Same with Yuki, both holding on to what feelings of happiness they have in that moment, even if that happiness if fleeting.

I don't think I've really noticed or payed as much attention to it, but Tohru relies far too much on her aloofness to hide her own feelings as well and it really showed this episode.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Oh wow, another season? I mean, if you want to do an adaptation properly, you would need that length. Going the FMA:B route of needing as many episodes as necessary to tell the story.
There's definitely enough content for a complete 3rd season.

I don't think I've really noticed or payed as much attention to it, but Tohru relies far too much on her aloofness to hide her own feelings as well and it really showed this episode.
Aloofness is probably not the word I would use but yes, Tohru hides how she really feels all the time.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
There's definitely enough content for a complete 3rd season.

I'm actually surprised there's still so much! I've mentioned before that for whatever reason, I didn't finish the books (read up to about 20, got the last ones, meant to re-read it all and never did) and my memory is poor to remember much from them :x

Still hoping that Another gets adapted too, just to make it complete (even though I have zero idea about them, except they are all in college).

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
God of High School Episode 4:

Christ almighty and I thought Tower of God was bad with adaptational compression but taking an entire WWE Wedding Angle into one episode takes the fucking cake and the piss.
GoH 4
What a strange episode. Half the marriage stuff felt almost like a flashback due to how things were cut, but because it was happening in the present it felt like we missed a ton of stuff between proposal and marriage. Even bigger turn was that it was all the work of an enemy stand instead of some more generic asshole reason he wanted to marry her.

The cut at the end also way off and I expected Daewi to have the opposite reaction to the tournament instead of rage all over Mira. This episode was severely sloppy, chopped up, and needed a bit of room to breathe.
I was hoping we'd get only one episode of the wedding and we got even less than one which is even better. The wedding shit was so bad in the webtoon already so the faster they go through it the better.

Last edited:

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
God of Highschool 04

It's like this show skips all the cool fights and makes them a 1 minute thing in the end of an episode.

OP
OP
Narag

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Umayon 4

Love it when an episode is literally just a performance like this one. Bonus points for being an anime musical ep.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
[The God of High School (GoH)] - 4

I knew GoH would be a silly action series and therefore I had low expectations for the characters & plot. I enjoyed the first few episodes for what they were but this ome was just a mess.

Almost nothing here makes sense (unmarked spoilers for the episode below):

- A character we've never met before appears before and proposes to the one of the main characters, Mira (who is only a teenager)
- Mira accepts the proposal (off-screen) which also involves her withdrawal from the tournament (also off-scren)
- Mira's legal guardian is all "That's totally cool, I consent"
- Jin and Daewi intervene (despite barely knowing Mira at all, and Daewi explicity stating he wouldn't intervene) at the wedding (which somehow has already been arranged even though it feels like the proposal happened about 5 minutes ago) to stop it
- The above events are still only about 75% of the episodes runtime! They manage to squeeze a fight and some other stuff in here as well

The problems with the above developments are:

- We barely know any of the characters (it's only episode 4) so we (the audience) can't really care if they're going to get tricked into a bad marriage or not.
- The same is true for the protaganists - they barely know each other as well, so why are they getting involved with each other's lives?
- There's zero breathing room for this entire arc to take place. The potential groom appeared form nowhere. We barely spend any time exploring Mira's state of mind and we don't even witness her accepting the propsal. Every beat is either rushed, or non-existant.
- Despite all of the above we barely learn anything about Mira or her family

Apparently this is even worse in the source material but if it's this bad they should probably have cut the entire arc out and written another way for the same key plot/character moments to take place (not that it felt like anything substantial happened anyway).

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
DECA-DENCE 1-3

Incredible.

I burst out laughing when the twist was revealed in episode 2. Glad I didnt get spoiled. I gotta say, I love the fact that these lore dumps and stuff are happening so early in the show. They're not wasting any time and getting right into it.

Loved the explanation for the combat. It seems pretty well thought out. It also makes the battles extremely dynamic and the animation during the fights so far has been superb.

Really digging this so far. Production wise, it's firing on all cylinders. Hope it sticks the landing.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
[The God of High School (GoH)] - 4

I knew GoH would be a silly action series and therefore I had low expectations for the characters & plot. I enjoyed the first few episodes for what they were but this ome was just a mess.

Almost nothing here makes sense (unmarked spoilers for the episode below):

- A character we've never met before appears before and proposes to the one of the main characters, Mira (who is only a teenager)
- Mira accepts the proposal (off-screen) which also involves her withdrawal from the tournament (also off-scren)
- Mira's legal guardian is all "That's totally cool, I consent"
- Jin and Daewi intervene (despite barely knowing Mira at all, and Daewi explicity stating he wouldn't intervene) at the wedding (which somehow has already been arranged even though it feels like the proposal happened about 5 minutes ago) to stop it
- The above events are still only about 75% of the episodes runtime! They manage to squeeze a fight and some other stuff in here as well

The problems with the above developments are:

- We barely know any of the characters (it's only episode 4) so we (the audience) can't really care if they're going to get tricked into a bad marriage or not.
- The same is true for the protaganists - they barely know each other as well, so why are they getting involved with each other's lives?
- There's zero breathing room for this entire arc to take place. The potential groom appeared form nowhere. We barely spend any time exploring Mira's state of mind and we don't even witness her accepting the propsal. Every beat is either rushed, or non-existant.
- Despite all of the above we barely learn anything about Mira or her family

Apparently this is even worse in the source material but if it's this bad they should probably have cut the entire arc out and written another way for the same key plot/character moments to take place (not that it felt like anything substantial happened anyway).

Well they've cut almost all of the character development from the begining and in-between which is why it feels even stranger. Arc was a mess in the source and as you said even worse. Glad they went through it even faster. But yeah those three don't feel like friends in the anime right now which they already were in the Manhwa

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Tower of God 10 - 13

Honestly, I really like Rachel. She sucks, but the setup for her character is very good.

To want and search for something your whole life, and then to see it handed to someone else purely because they are the designated protagonist stings.

Seeing that ugliness exploited by the tower residents is doubly painful. Her actions are here own, but just like Hoh, I feel for her.

Comic-readers, is this meaningfully explored later? Should I read the comics?
I really liked the comic, much more than the show. Rachel is still kind of a mystery. Her motivations are expanded on a bit but maybe not as much as you'd hope. The next few arcs are really good

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All these GoH impressions are making me question if I want to continue after I was lukewarm on ep3. If I knew they introduced stands prior to starting I probably wouldn't have watched because I expected a pure melee anime without supernatural abilities.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
[Rent-A-Girlfriend]: 1- 3

There's...something potentially interesting about this premise and cast of characters but the protaganist is just so despicable that it's a struggle to get through each episode. Normally the male leads in these kinds of shows are bland and forgetabble, but Kazuya actually works at being a piece of shit, especially in the variety ways he drags Mizhuara into the endless garabge that is his life.

I've also been told that apparently he gets worse. Yikes.

[Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai!]: 1 - 3

This is bad.

Visually, the show is extremely bland even down to the character designs, which kind of look like they should be background characters on some other show. In terms of editing and flow, there's no comedic timing whatsoever. I'm not expecting ever series to be Kaguya-sama, but it doesn't even feel like they're trying at all.

There's nothing charming or likeable about the characters themselves. It's hard to imagine this series would even exist as a commercially viable manga or anime if the female lead didn't have large breasts. You wouldn't think an entire work could successfully exist on such a crude basis but here we are.

[Gundam Build Divers Re-RISE] - 21

This series rules. I'm really surprised that they snuck so many interesting ideas into their naked vehicle for selling Gunpla to kids. Then again, it's surprising how many subversive ideas get put into kids shows in general.

Last edited:

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first episode of Uzaki-chan.

There's a scene towards the end where it cuts to a cat making a shocked face, which I think is supposed to be in reaction to the kinda embarrassing stuff Uzaki is saying. It's done in such a bizarre manner that I'm not sure tho. That general sense of uncertainty shines throughout the entire episode.

Uzaki-chan doesn't feel like a comedy to me. It feels like a weird study on how bare-bones a comedy anime can be.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The new Gundam Build series is actually good? I stopped after Try.
Yes!

For those who haven't been keeping track, the reaction to the franchise has roughly been as follows:

[Gundam Build Fighters]
This series is set in 'our reality' up to and including the Gundam media franchise. Due to essentially magical technology, it's possible to give life to and control small minature Gundam toys (Gunpla) and have the toys battle each other to see who is the better Gundam pilot. Due to the technology involved, the actually toy battle looks indistiguisable from a normal Gundam battle, so to the audience it doesn't look like toys battling, it looks 'real'.

The genius move here is that it allows one to enjoy the surfrace pleasure of watching two robots hit each other, without any of the pesky story or depressing war backdrop of most Gundam shows. The end result is an awesome show ith with great animation and direction, likeable characters and excellent Gundam battles. The show doesn't take itself too seriously, but the actual competition is still exciting and tense. As a bonus, the soundtrack is pretty damn great.

Pretty much anyone can enjoy and watch this series as it requires no prior Gundam knowledge.

[Gundam Build Fighters: Try]
Essentially the same idea as above, but slightly worse in every way. That means the direction/characters/battles/designs/animation are just worse versions of the original show.

If you've seen and enjoyed the original Gundam Build Fighters and desperately need some more of that then you can check out this series but otherwise I'd say skip it.

[Gundam Build Divers]
This series revises the corce conceit of the show. Rather than having physical (albeit minature) robots battle in a physical space, the entire battle is moved to an MMO setting.

I must confess to have not watched this series (the shift to an MMO did not appeal) but from speaking to a few trusted associated it's apparently pretty forgetable, so I don't recommend checking it out.

[Gundam Build Divers: Re-RISE]
A follow up to Build Divers, but with a brand new cast. You don't need knowledge of the original show to enjoy it (as I can attest to first hand) and the story goes some really intersting places (which I can't explain without spoiling the best bits). The show has a pretty good cast and the protaganist is certainly a standout among other Gundam shows.

I firmly recommend Re-RISE.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Dang, there's still that much story left? I'm happy it's getting the full adaptation but I do hope the story kinda picks up soon.

It is slower moving right now, but I'd rather have it going as-is so that the ending isn't rushed out. I don't miss rushed adaptations (and people that follow Webtoons are all-too familiar with that right now).

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
It is slower moving right now, but I'd rather have it going as-is so that the ending isn't rushed out. I don't miss rushed adaptations (and people that follow Webtoons are all-too familiar with that right now).

That's fair. It's definitely building towards something so I'm hoping for a good pay off. I guess I'm just wondering how they'll fill another full seasons worth of content as it felt like we were approaching the end game a few weeks ago.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
That's fair. It's definitely building towards something so I'm hoping for a good pay off. I guess I'm just wondering how they'll fill another full seasons worth of content as it felt like we were approaching the end game a few weeks ago.

I think there's still a few more volumes to cover, and as I mentioned previously, there is possibly a chance at them covering the 3 volumes from Another.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda remember before the first season even airing, that they said somewhere that it will be like 63 episodes total -i think a VA said that- , which means the third season of fruits basket can be 13 episodes, dunno how it hold up now tho compared to the pacing of the adaptation and what they cover from the manga

Oct 25, 2017
[Gundam Build Divers: Re-RISE]
A follow up to Build Divers, but with a brand new cast. You don't need knowledge of the original show to enjoy it (as I can attest to first hand)
I dont know, feel like one misses the significance and full understanding regarding recent reveals with Hiroto without having seen the major event of Build Divers. Cant help but think people were like who are these kids, why are they yelling so much, and why are they so passionate.

Status
Not open for further replies.