• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keylow

Oct 25, 2017
That's new city hunter movie is awesome. I liked it a lot. Now I want to watch the show and the other movies now.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's dark in that sense of "stakes" , not sure how young me would take it. What I mean by dark is deeply personal occurrences to the children that a young viewer would need to internalize: what does it mean that a character is gone forever, why did agumon evolve into a monster? Why is there a tension in the lives of Matt and TK? Things that the viewer (a child) has to process when they happen to their stand in. Otherwise the big bad is just a big bad, I would imagine.

oh yeah OG digimon introduced me to a lot of hella dark concepts. Like in the family units Matt and TK's parent's divorce was a big factor even when the parents weren't actively fighting, Tai being scared for Kairi and what it meant to protect/coddle someone, the excitement of adventure in the digital realm giving way to fear of never seeing your parents again or (worse) them forgetting you ever existed at all...

I mean, they already did that in the 2nd movie. Maybe it's due to most people remembering of the dub of it so only thinking about ska the whole time, kind of diminished that conflict.

Launching nukes can be dramatically dark but in the movie it just came across as more action-movie esque really.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
oh yeah OG digimon introduced me to a lot of hella dark concepts. Like in the family units Matt and TK's parent's divorce was a big factor even when the parents weren't actively fighting, Tai being scared for Kairi and what it meant to protect/coddle someone, the excitement of adventure in the digital realm giving way to fear of never seeing your parents again or (worse) them forgetting you ever existed at all...

Launching nukes can be dramatically dark but in the movie it just came across as more action-movie esque really.

Yeah this is how it was for me. I had to deal with my parents divorce at that time so Matt and TK definitely made me feel better, knowing how they also struggled. I cried at Lemon and Wizardmon's deaths because as a kid that concept of death was not only alien, but scary. If anything I remember this show fondly because of how it didn't underestimate what children can handle, and in doing so makes it relevant for me as an adult 20+ years later. That magic is what I hope they can capture, if not for me, but for a new young audience.

As an aside, Pokemon's anime definitely never could compare to this back then, with the Charmander getting sick episode being the one exception that I still can remember. I wish it had been Digimon the one that became the bigger hit and got a chance to continue their tone.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Since this season is empty af, I took a look at my Plan to Watch, trying to clean it and chose some to watch. I'm left out with these that I'm not sure if they are worth watching or not. Of those which would y'all consider must watch?

Cencoroll
Clannad
Kaiji and Akagi (Wonder if I should just read the manga instead)
Honey and Clover (How does it compare do 3gatsu no Lion?)
Log Horizon
Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Mahoujin Guru Guru (2017)
Mitsudomoe
Net-juu no Susume
Nodame Cantabile
Osomatsu-san
Princess Tutu
PSYCHO-PASS (I know people don't like season two but is it just mediocre/step down, or actually bad? What about season 3?)
Re:Zero (Is it actually interesting or just "popular interesting"?)
Tiger & Bunny
Uchuu Kyoudai
Yuru Yuri

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
♬ Have you ever been close to tragedy
or been close to folks who have?
Have you ever felt a pain so powerful
so heavy, you collapse? ♬

Since this season is empty af, I took a look at my Plan to Watch, trying to clean it and chose some to watch. I'm left out with these that I'm not sure if they are worth watching or not. Of those which would y'all consider must watch?

Of your list, I recommend Log Horizon if you're okay with a relatively contemplative planning-heavy series with not great animation. Yuru Yuri is just fluff but I enjoyed it. I intend to see Clannad and Princess Tutu one day. Don't know much about the others but I totally bounced off Psycho-pass.

Yeah this is how it was for me. I had to deal with my parents divorce at that time so Matt and TK definitely made me feel better, knowing how they also struggled. I cried at Lemon and Wizardmon's deaths because as a kid that concept of death was not only alien, but scary. If anything I remember this show fondly because of how it didn't underestimate what children can handle, and in doing so makes it relevant for me as an adult 20+ years later. That magic is what I hope they can capture, if not for me, but for a new young audience.

I think I really liked the real world arc because it was like, damn, they did it, they solved the problem, and it turned out no actually they just brought the problems home and now the whole family's involved

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Clannad and Re:Zero.

If you watch Re:Zero you'll have a show to watch this season as well.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018

Cencoroll
Clannad
Log Horizon
Mitsudomoe
Net-juu no Susume
Nodame Cantabile
Osomatsu-san
Princess Tutu
PSYCHO-PASS (I know people don't like season two but is it just mediocre/step down, or actually bad? What about season 3?)
Tiger & Bunny
Uchuu Kyoudai
Yuru Yuri

I concur with my peers, Clannad is the pick.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017

Cencoroll
Clannad
Log Horizon
Mitsudomoe
Net-juu no Susume
Nodame Cantabile
Osomatsu-san
Princess Tutu
Tiger & Bunny
Uchuu Kyoudai
Yuru Yuri
Lot of great choices but for the time being I recommend to make re:zero a priority since the second season will air soon and you would have something to look forward this season methinks -in case you end up liking it- , it IS interesting when it shouldn't be, one of the better isekais out there and when it shines it REALLY shine, surprisingly great direction in a lot of episodes.

Also I recommend to just watch the Director's Cut version of the anime, it make it for an easier watch since it is 13 episodes, with each episode being 50 minutes long, but also cause it have a complete new ending for the anime which prepares you to second season -since the original anime ended it on a filler/anime-original ending so that it doesn't end on an unsolved cliffhanger for years, the DC version end on the original ending from the novels-

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully Fall, first half of the newest season has just started reairing on the major networks, and music production for the next half seems to have started last week or so.
Domo.

I'd say Guru Guru and Cencoroll. Honey&Clover is something I want to give a chance again but I was put off by the really bad humor and afraid of were the young girl & mc thing was going to go.

Edit: Oh re:zero was there too. It's a show a grade and more above the seasonal isekai garbage certainly but I thought it really faltered after the initial third. The rest is okeyish but makes me really ambiguous as to the whole. S2 will either break it or save it.

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

Cencoroll
Clannad
Log Horizon
Mitsudomoe
Net-juu no Susume
Nodame Cantabile
Osomatsu-san
Princess Tutu
Tiger & Bunny
Uchuu Kyoudai
Yuru Yuri

CLANNAD

then:
Nodome Cantibile
Re;Zero
Tiger & Bunny
Log Horizon
Honey & Clover (3gatsu is 1,000,000x better tho)
Magi
Net-juu no Susume

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Re: Zero - Memory Snow
Nice and light-hearted OVA where characters can relax and have a bit of fun. Got a tiny bit of info on Puck and it was nice to see Betty soften up a bit as there are next to no moments with her after the Village arc in the anime. It also hinted at something far more dark at the end, which will probably play into S2, even if Subaru has gone through far more than mentioned in that exchange between Lia and Puck. They just have no idea.

Re: Zero - The Frozen Bond
I can see why this means a ton to the next season, considering how much it reveals about Emilia. Pretty sad, considering how much she went through just in the film. There are definitely some major questions regarding Lia and Puck prior to the events of the film, but it does highlight just how unaware or even sheltered Emilia comes off as in the first season and gives a bit more context for just how strong a bond Puck and her share.

Now I think I am ready for season 2 and the pain and suffering that will more than likely bring.
I guess it's dark in that sense of "stakes" , not sure how young me would take it. What I mean by dark is deeply personal occurrences to the children that a young viewer would need to internalize: what does it mean that a character is gone forever, why did agumon evolve into a monster? Why is there a tension in the lives of Matt and TK? Things that the viewer (a child) has to process when they happen to their stand in. Otherwise the big bad is just a big bad, I would imagine.
I suppose I was viewing it through the lens the crew more going on an adventure to get back to the real world, with the darker themes coming in later in the story. Also, as I happened to watch it when I was in my late teens, I'm sure some of that had less impact on me overall. As for this update, it seems like they might front-load a bit more of these themes.
I concur with my peers, Clannad is the pick.
I guess I should watch Clannad next.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Man do I really have to watch an OVA and a movie to not be totally lost for Re:Zero S2

Feb 12, 2019
OH RIGHT there's totally a new Higurashi anime this season. Not that it really needed a new adaption, but I guess I'm morbidly curious to see if they can do better. The first season of the Studio DEEN one is, uh, rough-looking.
Of the stuff on the list, I'd probably say Clannad, then Re:Zero, then the first season of Psycho-Pass are "must watch" series based entirely upon those being the three series I have direct experience with.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Kansoku Def watch Re: Zero and Log Horizon.
Man do I really have to watch an OVA and a movie to not be totally lost for Re:Zero S2
OVA, not so much. The movie tho is worth a watch regardless. Not sure if S2 is gonna cover any of Lia's backstory or not and that's what is covered in the movie.
Yes, Clannad is worth watching twice for After Story alone
Maybe I'll watch it over vacation. I watched the first arc ages ago and then stopped for some reason, so it's been on my list for a long time.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the input everyone!

I guess I'll give priority to Re:Zero then, once I get that done I'll watch Clannad and then the rest. IIRC there was a announcement recently for a new Log Horizon season, right? If it's not that far away I might wait to watch it closer to the new season.

Heh

Dec 12, 2017

Cencoroll
Clannad
Log Horizon
Mitsudomoe
Net-juu no Susume
Nodame Cantabile
Osomatsu-san
Princess Tutu
Tiger & Bunny
Uchuu Kyoudai
Yuru Yuri

Clannad.

It's mostly for the second season, After Story, though.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017

I guess I'll give priority to Re:Zero then, once I get that done I'll watch Clannad and then the rest. IIRC there was a announcement recently for a new Log Horizon season, right? If it's not that far away I might wait to watch it closer to the new season.
After you watch Re:Zero (like mentioned already, it's better to watch the Director's Cut version), it's recommended to watch the Frozen Bond OVA before the second season as well.

Oct 25, 2017

log horizon is pushed to 2021, because of pushes to shows before it.

OP
OP
Narag

Narag

Oct 25, 2017

Cencoroll
Clannad
Log Horizon
Mitsudomoe
Net-juu no Susume
Nodame Cantabile
Osomatsu-san
Princess Tutu
Tiger & Bunny
Uchuu Kyoudai
Yuru Yuri

Kaiji is worth it for the narration alone but would probably go manga for Akagi. A lot of this stuff really isn't "must watch" outside of Princess Tutu though. The other stuff is mostly enjoyable ways to pass the time at the very least.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon (2019) 27

The battle with Raihan and Leon was far too short. Why are the big Master-class battles 1 v 1 and the lower class usually 2 v 2? Also they didn't do Raihan's quirk of being social media obsessed which is a tad bit disappointing. This was also there first supposed battle so unlike the game where Raihan is Leon's rival.

Also oddly enough I think they changed Leon's backstory? They said Chairman Rose raised him which I'm pretty sure wasn't a thing in the game. I know he worked with him and sponsored him but they seemed to imply more like a father figure here. Odd change and I'm wondering how that is going to play out considering all the changes they made to Lusamine for the anime.

Ash getting Galar Farfetch'd is cool. Guess Go is getting Sobble next week and I'm hoping it's more of a permanent buddy like Scorbunny/Raboot.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Samurai Flamenco END

Did this show just go ahead and make Flamenco gay? Holy smokes what a fitting last episode of crazy shit. This show exceeded my wildest expectations. It is absolute bonkers and it pulls it off. Great easy watch. Would be in my top 20 anime of the decade.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Samurai Flamenco END

Did this show just go ahead and make Flamenco gay? Holy smokes what a fitting last episode of crazy shit. This show exceeded my wildest expectations. It is absolute bonkers and it pulls it off. Great easy watch. Would be in my top 20 anime of the decade.
Now that you are done with the series, you can enjoy it's memes without fear
zlmtcv2qoncz.jpg

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Twilight Wings 4-6

08cf589cb0abdef480ea63e502826e9c1ff809b8.gifv

74728e9708c9a61485f124db0ecbc3958abb92d0.gifv

Nessa episode was good and so pretty.

e1a9633ae4c805e9ac73d305f8c29e2c14a935e0.gifv

Allister episode was nice too. Still a bit weird that the series is basically about two random kids but seems like they will both attend Leon's fight for the final episode.

Also man, I would kill for a Pokemon game that had half the life this series has. The tap dancing Mr Rime performance was good and the Pumpkaboo lamp is such a good idea.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Eizouken END

Took a hiatus on this because I was working on watching some other stuff. I enjoyed it, it was a fun show for sure, but I don't think I loved it nesrly as much as some of you guys on here did.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

Cencoroll
Clannad
Log Horizon
Mitsudomoe
Net-juu no Susume
Nodame Cantabile
Osomatsu-san
Princess Tutu
Tiger & Bunny
Uchuu Kyoudai
Yuru Yuri
Clannad after story is great, unfortunately you have to watch Clannad's first season to watch that... which is at best okay. but overall totally worth it.

Honey and Clover is solid if you want a drama
Log Horizon is interesting if you want a more diplomatic version of sword art online
Nodame is a lot of fun in general.
First season of Psycho pass is great
Re:zero landed at number 3 for the anime of the decade for me.
Tiger & bunny is a fun super hero show with more depth than you expect
Net-juu no Susume is a show I quite enjoyed, though the writing is extremely flawed if you think about it too much.
I didn't hate Magi, but I hated the pervy moments with the main character which killed a lot of my motivation to continue watching it.

Princess Tutu was okay.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
😟

I love Princess Tutu
I have it listed as a 6/10 on MAL but it was a long time ago. I do recall wishing most of the episodes would move faster. There were a couple of interesting episodes but a lot of them were meh to me, and most of the cast didn't leave much of an impression.

I vastly preferred Junichi Satou's work on Kaleido Star instead. He wrote the short manga that Princess Tutu was based on and directed Princess Tutu while he created Kaleido Star.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I think Princess Tutu was another "enjoyed it, but didn't love it" series for me. It was dub-only on Netflix when I saw it, but the dub wasn't bad (I just wish they called her "Ahiru" since it actually sounds like a name).

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Eizouken END

Took a hiatus on this because I was working on watching some other stuff. I enjoyed it, it was a fun show for sure, but I don't think I loved it nesrly as much as some of you guys on here did.

imho it doesn't have enough solid stakes to hold past the initial club disbandment arc and to a slightly lesser extend the approval of model girl's parents/school festival arc and after that has to kind of coast on 'man isn't animation amazing?' which, absolutely, but still

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Twilight Wings 4-6

08cf589cb0abdef480ea63e502826e9c1ff809b8.gifv

74728e9708c9a61485f124db0ecbc3958abb92d0.gifv

Nessa episode was good and so pretty.

e1a9633ae4c805e9ac73d305f8c29e2c14a935e0.gifv

Allister episode was nice too. Still a bit weird that the series is basically about two random kids but seems like they will both attend Leon's fight for the final episode.

Also man, I would kill for a Pokemon game that had half the life this series has. The tap dancing Mr Rime performance was good and the Pumpkaboo lamp is such a good idea.

Is this what modern Pokemon looks like? It looks really good.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Is this what modern Pokemon looks like? It looks really good.

Only when it's in OVA form :( Some of the best Pokemon animation comes from OVAs/shorts/previews :/ The B2W2 preview made me really wish that they just made a whole series based on the actual game characters/stories, but we only get those in short form.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Only when it's in OVA form :( Some of the best Pokemon animation comes from OVAs/shorts/previews :/ The B2W2 preview made me really wish that they just made a whole series based on the actual game characters/stories, but we only get those in short form.

sun and moon has some amazing sakuga but it's in the bouncy 'cheap' (well cheaper) form that trigger likes to do mostly. Well, it varies a lot, but yeah. Don't know about Pokemon Go, haven't been keeping up (still haven't watched a lot of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon tbh)

Anyway, settle this for me, as someone who didn't stick with Attack on Titan is an implicit message of AoT anti-military or pro-military? I remember some controvery about the mangaka

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Princess Tutu is a masterpiece.

The Twelve Kingdoms 13

While I appreciate them getting Youko on the throne fast since more interesting stuff will probably happen now that she's in a position of power, did they really just have to skip over the entire war to retake Kei? Our first sense of large-scale battles, Youko's decisions on when she sends her men and enemies to death, and earning enough trust from her people seem like pretty big points to simply gloss over. I also have to wonder if Youko's sword can find Asano since its limits are pretty vague. Yuka going back to Earth is an appropriate ending for her, at least for this arc, but I do hope she makes it back in some form or another. Her journey was also really compelling overall.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
BNA - Complete

The show had some issues, but overall I enjoyed it and would be game for a second season.

Which makes this only the second trigger show I can say that about. The first being Little Witch :P

Malakiax

Oct 25, 2017

Cencoroll
Clannad
Log Horizon
Mitsudomoe
Net-juu no Susume
Nodame Cantabile
Osomatsu-san
Princess Tutu
Tiger & Bunny
Uchuu Kyoudai
Yuru Yuri
Uchuu Kyoudai is a Masterpiece!

And watch Clannad.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Samurai Flamenco END

Did this show just go ahead and make Flamenco gay?
Holy smokes what a fitting last episode of crazy shit. This show exceeded my wildest expectations. It is absolute bonkers and it pulls it off. Great easy watch. Would be in my top 20 anime of the decade.
To me he reads as being on the aro/ace spectrum (from what I remember), even if the intent is him being gay and very emotionally stunted. He's definitely queer coded any way you slice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.