• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I watched ten minutes of granbelm and dropped it hard because i hated everything about it.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

episodes are going to be 45 minutes long. 8 episodes total.
Streaming on Amazon Prime Video.

pp3.jpg

It's amazing how a single image completely killed whatever interest I would have had for the third season.

I've ranted about it before, but it's almost shocking how they're taking the character who nearly-singlehandedly ruined season 2 and now has her featured prominently as a central figure for the follow-up.

I rarely think this, but Mika really is a character that is impossible to course-correct. No amount of improved characterization or writing is going to make her better after she

literally got away with murder

in the previous season.

And according to some reports, the writer from S2 is returning so....man I really enjoyed season 1, but this franchise is pretty much dead to me unless the impressions for season 3 end up really positive.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's great that there's still people that can be shocked by this in 2019.
I've heard about the show a lot as a 'nothing is what it seems' type and just held off spoilers until I finally got to it. So I knew something was coming, and the show gives off some sinister undertones in the first two eps (mostly from the contract giver thing, most untrustable animal I've ever seen) but I wasn't expecting it to go THAT hard in episode THREE.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Granbelm is certainly my anime of the season and will certainly be in my ten top of the year.

ERNESTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
pp3.jpg

It's amazing how a single image completely killed whatever interest I would have had for the third season.

I've ranted about it before, but it's almost shocking how they're taking the character who nearly-singlehandedly ruined season 2 and now has her featured prominently as a central figure for the follow-up.

I rarely think this, but Mika really is a character that is impossible to course-correct. No amount of improved characterization or writing is going to make her better after she

in the previous season.

And according to some reports, the writer from S2 is returning so....man I really enjoyed season 1, but this franchise is pretty much dead to me unless the impressions for season 3 end up really positive.
Even worse: Ling Tosite Sigure isn't singing the OP.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Railgun Key Visuals and small teaser.

And DanMachi OVA plus Season 3 for summer 2020 confirmed

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Anyone heard anything about Ride Your Wave? Playing tomorrow at a film festival and it's opposite something that sounds good but this is tempting. I've never seen a movie from Masaaki Yuasa but I know his last two are well regarded.
I saw this and it was a delight by the way. Very fantastical.

I am surprised the Blackfox preview is a full episode length. Guess I'll give it a look.

Oct 25, 2017
pp3.jpg

in the previous season.

Dude in front right is amazing though. Makes it a must watch.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo Marble Chocolate 01-02
Something I stumbled upon. Fairly unique thing by the virtue of actually having 2 adults dating and the story being dished out from two perspective points going over the same events. I don't really think much was done with that potential writing wise but it's succinct and has a fun art direction courtesy of Shichiro Kobayashi* as well as pretty rare designs so it was not a wasted time.

* Is there a proper name for the backgrounds style this, Windy Tales, I think Utena and some other shows utilize ? Always love to see it and I still have no clue what it is exactly.

School Rumble S2 05
NbvJFD6.jpg

out of context ojou-samas

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
Granbelm probably will be my AOTS, just haven't had the urge nor will to really write about anything I'm watching this season...on that note Fall OT thread will be up in 4ish days (Large batch of shows start in 4 and a half days).

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The second season of School Rumble isn't quite the comedy masterpiece that the first season is but the first few episodes have some crazy highlights.

The last few pages have listed most of what I consider the funniest anime.

Azumanga Daioh
Cromartie High
Ghost Stories (DUB ONLY)
Konosuba
School Rumble
Love is War

and a darkhorse candidate in Devil is a Part Timer, which has some really great fish out of water stuff in its first few episodes before turning a bit flat as the demons get used to Japan.

Oct 27, 2017
pp3.jpg

in the previous season.

What's this? No Akane?

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 13
I forgot how last season ended right at the climax of the invasion attempt so I was a bit thrown off with jumping straight back into it.

Felt more like the s1 finale than the first twenty minutes of a movie since the conflict gets resolved during it, but with it getting released in episodes here it doesn't make much of a difference to me. Curious how the last scene shakes things up going forward. Julian also appears to have been promoted from hanging out at Yang's house.

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I've heard about the show a lot as a 'nothing is what it seems' type and just held off spoilers until I finally got to it. So I knew something was coming, and the show gives off some sinister undertones in the first two eps (mostly from the contract giver thing, most untrustable animal I've ever seen) but I wasn't expecting it to go THAT hard in episode THREE.
Still getting shivers even after half a dozen rewatches when the episode ends and it leads to the new ending theme.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
What are Granbelm's supposed strengths? Kinda wanted to watch 1-2 shows of this season after the fact but a short look at its MAL page makes me hesitate. The key art there looks like some run of the mill "mostly cute girls" cast and the synopsis doesn't tell much but has me fearing some magical girl business.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
What are Granbelm's supposed strengths? Kinda wanted to watch 1-2 shows of this season after the fact but a short look at its MAL page makes me hesitate. The key art there looks like some run of the mill "mostly cute girls" cast and the synopsis doesn't tell much but has me fearing some magical girl business.

It has good animation and really good voice acting. The plot ended up being somewhat iffy though and there's a lot of stuff that just goes unexplained, resulting in some things just not making any sense. Its still a solid 7/10 anime though and I would recommend it.

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
It's fall, so where's all the fall animu?
Stuff starts in 4 days, OT up in...4ish days with everything done expect two of the 12 season highlights still non-selected. Still unsure if I may just kill the normal text style for highlights and turn all highlights into pure images with text instead (shit would be more annoying to update if done so).

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
that PV does not look good and 45 minute episodes sounds even worse. When exactly does this take place? I haven't been following it at all.
45 minute format is the only reason I'm interested in Psycho-Pass now. More shows should (and probably would if production schedules weren't such a mess) play with their running time more often. 45 minute format is a huge boon to the show.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
Angel Beats! 2

Underneath the gym, through mineshafts, is where the "guild" is, which needs to be visited to replenish the ammunition lost during the last operation. Its traps remained armed because Tenshi appeared. She must be stopped since the guild supplies and houses their tools against her. One by one, they fall victim to the traps, not having the regeneration speed Tenshi does. When it comes down to only Yuri and Otonashi, she shares her story. Being the first rebel made her the natural leader. Like how they just lost their comrades, she lost her siblings one by one in intervals of 10 minutes each as penalty for not bringing her burglars satisfactory spoils. The big vase she was betting on was dropped going down the stairs. Oops! Police arrived precisely 30 minutes later for reasons unknown. Call it an Act of God.

Yuri's rebellion's motivated by her cruel fate. Otonashi compliments her strength. He likely wouldn't have the will to struggle if his life were the same. She avoids telling him how she died though, but insists it wasn't suicide. They finally reach the guild shorty before Tenshi does. This underground factory isn't necessary since conjuring objects doesn't require materials as long as how they're made is remembered, so simply relocating works. It's self-destruction serves as a final trap for Tenshi.

The close-quarters combat between Yuri and Tenshi was weak. Of course, Otonashi saves Yuri at the last moment to show how moved he was by her story. I'm setting aside the details of Yuri's past for now. More needs to be learned about the setting's mechanics to judge it and her ambition. By the way, suicides are exempt from this afterlife, go watch Haibane Renmei for that.

Some of the sound effects, used in the background music too, are very unpleasant high-pitched frequencies. I let it pass for the first episode, but it's continuing... The lighting issues return during Yuri's flashback as well.

fvVMCNy.png

Small stuff: Gay jokes—not a fan. Grope jokes too... ugh. Tenshi's following Otonashi around like a Resident Evil Tyrant. Copy-and-paste explosions. The closing credits' theme song has interesting lyrics (Maeda). This one's about Yuri and moving on from possibly attempted suicide and accepting reincarnation and/or a new life.

Last edited:

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
pp3.jpg

in the previous season.

I feel the same. I know I'm going to end up watching it anyway, though. ):

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Dr. Stone 13
Kinro with Suika's mask on was the hypest shit. Good reaction faces all around too.

DanMachi S2 12 END
Well...that was a whatever ending to a season I didn't really care for. The underdog with a heart of gold story from season 1 disappeared after the end of the war arc and never really returned. The Ishtar arc was off-putting from start to finish and makes me wonder why handling serious subjects like human trafficking, slavery, and prostitution was even needed in the first place. This final mini-arc was at least better in keying up future events that are hopefully more interesting and actually at a level this series can actually handle. Still not really into the weird faux love triangle thing between Bell, Hestia, and Ais that seems to be brought up all the time...at least Bell's heart is in the right place with regards to Hestia.

is it alright to pick up girls in the dungeon during summer 2020...? yes... yes it is apparently
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...n-a-dungeon-anime-gets-3rd-season-ova/.151626 :P
My only hope is that season 3 ends up better than season 2.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
It has good animation and really good voice acting. The plot ended up being somewhat iffy though and there's a lot of stuff that just goes unexplained, resulting in some things just not making any sense. Its still a solid 7/10 anime though and I would recommend it.

I see. Well, I'll give it a chance.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
pp3.jpg

in the previous season.

*looks at center character*
What? WHYYYY! She is the absolute worst! I don't think she single handedly ruin season 2, as I think the season's plot was built on layers and layers of stupid, but each time she appeared on screen, she made it a very unpleasant watch.

Season 2 sucked, the movie was better but not good, and now this. Oh well.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
Angel Beats! 3

Iwasawa's father was an alcoholic and her parents always fought, so she withdrew herself. Connecting with the vocalist of a band she liked lead to singing. After finding a trashed guitar on a rainy day, she pursued a music career, eventually leaving school and home. One day, however, she had a stroke and could no longer talk, let alone sing. A blow to the head during one of her parents' fights caused this, and she died because of it (1/3 chance).

Complications during the diversion concert provided a chance to sing her new solo ballad on that guitar she found. She then disappeared after feeling in tune with the vocalist she was originally inspired by. Yui, a minor diversion participant, being brought to tears during the performance is proof of that. Meanwhile, the gang infiltrate Tenshi's dorm and hack her computer for information on God. They instead find out her abilities are self-created, like their weapons.

Igualmente.

Just like that, Yuri's convinced there's no God. Easy. So, people can also disappear by accepting their fate. If Tenshi's the same, than she's also somehow unsatisfied. Anyway, Iwasawa and Yuri foreshadow that Otonashi must also have some outrageous history. Cool beans.

This all got stale fast, especially after abandoning the God angle. I'm not digging these open-and-shut stories either, they're much too methodical and introverted.

Last edited:

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Attack on Titans S3-2
This part of the season is really good at conveying the sense of futility around the war effort, all done to obtain an inch more of an advantage. This segment also manages to make the scout leadership into interesting characters as I don't think they have ever been put in a significantly vulnerable position, as they have always been depicted as invincible badasses.

And wow at what was in the basement. Can't wait to see how this shakes out in the next season.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This part of the season is really good at conveying the sense of futility around the war effort, all done to obtain an inch more of an advantage.
I think it's stuff like this that has ruined shows like Demon Slayer for me. You can feel the tension of a confrontation, and it's a show that actually makes me think, "Wow, how will they get out of this one?" instead of, "Alright, now how will they bullshit their way out of this one this time?"

Status
Not open for further replies.