• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017

Dammit, wish I could see this but I do not want to sit in a movie theater with a whole bunch of people anytime soon.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Saint Seiya 22

Silver Saints appear and yeah, Lizard is strong (yet not very lizard-like).

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Im avoiding that new Geass movie like the plague cause theres no way to recapture what it was
Same with those Eureka 7 and digimon ones
The only franchise that actaully managed to pull off the nostalgia cash grab movie in recent memory for me was Yugioh.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Digimon Adventure 01 34
Finally some forward momentum with the plot. Gatomon and Kari were always my favourite team when I was younger. Nowadays it's Izzy and Tentomon but I still enjoy the dynamic between Kari and Gatomon.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
You only have to compare it to something stupid stupid to see that I'm right :P Like Guilty Crown or Akito the Exiled.

Not going to say a word in favor of Guilty Crown, perish the thought...but Akito the Exiled was okay.

The mecha fights rock and I think the cast had its moments, despite not being very memorable as a whole.

It's curious how some Geass fans can't stand Akito...and then there's a few critics of the original who thought the OVA was better than the main show, lol.

Some of us tried to warn you. If you're going to continue down this road, do yourself a favor and stop at the end of S1 and don't bother with S2. Read a synopsis and maybe watch some clips from the better mecha fights.

Depends on your perspective. Although I do see why you'd say that, the end of S2 can also recontextualize things rather nicely for plenty of folks.

Therefore, telling people to stop in the middle may actually be the opposite of doing them a favor...unless they're really just not enjoying it at all.

It's like a solid 6/10.

The movie is like playing a post-game/epilogue dungeon in a JRPG. You don't really need to do it, strictly speaking, yet there's a few neat scenes.

Speaking generally about the series, I'm with you in that I think the entertainment value is central, but I also enjoyed the character dynamics and not only for their "stupidity".

The OST was pretty great too. Kotaro Nakagawa and Hitomi need more recognition.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
What's it like having no joy in your life?
hey I'll always enjoy this little cut in the first OP
620MZB3.gif

I love attention to detail like that

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Noblesse Episode 1:

Well, there certainly is a lot going on here, can't say much of it was of particular interest and I am not sure if that interest will rise towards watching another episode.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah, it's smart stupid imo. They only ever do something dumb when it would be way more entertaining than the alternative, and it moves at such an enjoyably brisk pace.

I also have Code Geass at 10/10 for both seasons because it's arguably the most entertaining thing I've ever seen. It helps that the supporting cast is absurdly memorable despite its huge size, and that the soundtrack is absolutely god-tier.
Regardless of how people talk about it, both good and ill, the table masturbation scene pretty much kills any and all chances I'll ever consider picking up the series. Like, nah, I'm good on that front. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
Food Wars Fifth Plate Episode 8

SoTaku forever!

Awesome episode, was like the only thing I wanted animated from the final arc and it delivered. Best episode ever.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I might as well just check out the new Higurashi adaptation for curiosity's sake.

Last edited:

Mercury_Sagit

Aug 4, 2020
Patlabor TV Series, ep. 13
An overall good standalone case, where Noa's personality was revealed a little bit more to the viewer, by putting her in situation when she interacts with someone that share her love for labors.
However, at the same time she also had to learn to trust and cooperate in unique and extreme situations. In addition, the theft of the supposedly secretive Brocken labor made me suspect Schaft to be the culprit of the assassination attempt. The reason was that only SV2 and a team from JSDF intercepted the robots and retrieved the Brocken as shown in ep 10+11, thus covering the whole operation from the public.
Ep. 15
Another standalone case where a main character revealed their personality, but this time it's Hiromi and it's totally justified considering how little showtime he had in previous episodes.
The most notable aspect of this episode's plot, to me, is Oshii's attempt to take a jab at social commentary. Sure the case of a stranded whale in the polluted Tokyo bay is serious on its own, but the way the media, politicians, activist group reacted to it is completely laughable. Every parties were hysterical, trying to claim some publicity, make some goodwill up for their own agenda, or just vying for attention and viewership. What occurred after that is, nevertheless, a little bit unexpected: the "Save the whale" operation failed. And it took just one failure for every party to forsake the whale like nothing happened, citing an umpteenth number of reasons (it's even more hilarious seeing ex post news coverage). SV2 (again) became the cannon fodder/dumping ground but at least Hiromi's 2nd attempt turned out successful.
Excursion: Jin-roh: The Wolf Brigade
Saw the Blu-ray on sale on Amz so I took a chance to check out one part of Oshii's Kerberos Saga franchise. Such a classic movie in many aspects: story, narrative, soundtrack as well as art direction. It felt so poetic seeing how events unfold in somberness and depressing tone while the classical tale is flipped upside down to portray the realism of the human world. Sadly the franchise did not fully make it to the west :(
Also can anyone recommend me music tracks with similar style as the movie opening? (for reference, it is here). Internet searches pointed me to sentimental rock but I'm still unsure about it.

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
new humble manga bundle, horror themed.
www.humblebundle.com

Humble Manga Bundle: Terrifying Tales by Kodansha

We've teamed up with Kodansha Comics for our newest bundle! Get comics like Dissolving Classroom, PTSD Radio, and In/Spectre. Learn more!

IuJIKA8.png

7bBTeKc.png

g5erPIg.png

uqcSDaz.png

B1FR5LA.png

Oooo I always look forward to these! How many are completed? (Or maybe as easier question is how many are still ongoing?) Was sad to see Yon and Mu hosting only 1 ch on CR and then pulled with no others posted. Maybe cause that one is only 1 volume.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Oooo I always look forward to these! How many are completed? (Or maybe as easier question is how many are still ongoing?) Was sad to see Yon and Mu hosting only 1 ch on CR and then pulled with no others posted. Maybe cause that one is only 1 volume.
I often don't bother looking into that stuff. I typically just buy these because they work out to like 10 cents a volume lol.

I will one day read these... maybe :P

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I often don't bother looking into that stuff. I typically just buy these because they work out to like 10 cents a volume lol.

I will one day read these... maybe :P

I missed out on one, because it had most stuff I just got on the previous one (Alita, GitS) but moreso had more things but just a sampling of a few volumes each, with only 1 series complete.

I'll prob get this one anyways of course, so cheap!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I missed out on one, because it had most stuff I just got on the previous one (Alita, GitS) but moreso had more things but just a sampling of a few volumes each, with only 1 series complete.

I'll prob get this one anyways of course, so cheap!
yeah I often compare to previous bundles to make sure I'm not double dipping to much, but as far as I recall most of this one is new. I know inuashiki was offered before, and I think princess resurrection may have been but I think most of the rest is new to this bundle.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I discovered the Slice of Life genre this year. Some shows have been really good but I don't know what to think of Yuru Yuri after a few episodes. 😂

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Gun x Sword 05

Yeah, that just won't do in the slightest. Think that's like 4.5 out of 5 Taniguchi shows being dire now.

I mean...if you're not a fan of his other shows, then that's not surprising. He has some range but his overall style isn't going to be worlds apart.

GXS is something of a cult classic (say, it got lots of cheers when they put the series in SRW T), yet never a mainstream hit nor a critical darling, since it was aiming for a somewhat niche crowd: the series works best for those who can openly embrace a whole bunch of goofiness upfront and don't mind dealing with late 90s-early 00s episodic formulas, including sharing a genuine fondness for old-school Super Robot shows as well as a more or less cynical view towards newer mecha stuff like Gundam SEED and Eva. It's going for a very clear Tarantino vibe too, with all the in-jokes, homages and references to other works.

The revenge theme is present right at the start as part of the premise, but the more interesting developments take their time to appear (probably starting to show up around ep 7 or so, I guess). In particular, the standalone episodes do vary in quality. I distinctly remember forgetting about the show after the first couple and only coming back later, so I can understand that point of view, although it's a real shame you didn't like episode 3 at least. For the record, I also found that the surrounding cast of characters (villains included) were arguably more fun to watch than Van himself and appreciated how various details increasingly built up to the larger plot.

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
yeah I often compare to previous bundles to make sure I'm not double dipping to much, but as far as I recall most of this one is new. I know inuashiki was offered before, and I think princess resurrection may have been but I think most of the rest is new to this bundle.

Yeah I have Inuashiki from a previous bundle. I think they did have a previous horror bundle too, but nothing in that one stood out to me at the time.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I mean...if you're not a fan of his other shows, then that's not surprising. He has some range but his overall style isn't going to be worlds apart.
I do am avoiding him in general but he sneaked up on me here since I didn't do due diligence.

GXS is something of a cult classic (say, it got lots of cheers when they put the series in SRW T), yet never a mainstream hit nor a critical darling, since it was aiming for a somewhat niche crowd: the series works best for those who can openly embrace a whole bunch of goofiness upfront and don't mind dealing with late 90s-early 00s episodic formulas, including sharing a genuine fondness for old-school Super Robot shows as well as a more or less cynical view towards newer mecha stuff like Gundam SEED and Eva. It's going for a very clear Tarantino vibe too, with all the in-jokes, homages and references to other works.

In particular, the standalone episodes do vary in quality. I distinctly remember forgetting about the show after the first couple and only coming back later, so I can understand that point of view, although it's a real shame you didn't like episode 3 at least. For the record, I also found that the surrounding cast of characters (villains included) were arguably more fun to watch than Van himself and appreciated how various details increasingly built up to the larger plot.

Ep 3rd never stood a chance. While my tolerance or lack of it, of whacky, goofy super robots can be somewhat random (couldn't stand G Gundam, liked Imagawa's Mazinger etc) that was decidedly not my cup of coffee.
The revenge theme is present right at the start as part of the premise, but the more interesting developments take their time to appear (probably starting to show up around ep 7 or so, I guess).
I'd like to say that's fine and all but ... it's not. At least not anymore for me. Not when the episodic material so far doesn't give you the slightest ledge to grasp onto nor the confidence the main story will be handled any better.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you've watched Non Non Biyori, Flying Witch, K-On, Hidamari Sketch and Aria :p
Aggretsuko and March Comes in like a Lion are like the only two legitimately good slice of life shows :P (I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others that I actually enjoy, but I know full well my views and Era's views on slice of life are at ends, especially when it comes to cute girls doing cute things which is a subgenre of slice of life that my general response is to burn it with fire :P)

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Aggretsuko and March Comes in like a Lion are like the only two legitimately good slice of life shows :P (I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others that I actually enjoy, but I know full well my views and Era's views on slice of life are at ends, especially when it comes to cute girls doing cute things which is a subgenre of slice of life that my general response is to burn it with fire :P)
Don't even consider them slice of lifes, March is just a drama, a really great one, while aggretsuko is office comedy for the most part ....even when it deals with depressing themes and gets serious sometimes

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Thank god i read the manwha or I would of been super confused with the first episode of Noblesse. Whose idea was it to not start over and just continue the ONA from 4 years ago that no one watched. Its not even referenced on the crunchyroll page. I had to go to myanimelist to tell me there was a Prequel ONA. Felt like more like a character focused episode 3 than a episode 1. If i went in blind I would think the main character would of been the silver haired guy whose name i forgot.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
The last of the CR season has been announced. Guess I'll check out Grand Blues!

www.animenewsnetwork.com

Crunchyroll to Stream Anime Kapibarasan, Grand Blues!, That is the Bottleneck, Mr. Osomatsu Season 3 Anime

Anime to stream for fall 2020 season // Crunchyroll revealed on Wednesday that it will stream the Anime Kapibarasan, Grand Blues!, and That is the Bottleneck...
got really excited and thought that i had missed an announcement of some sort then discovered is for that damn gacha game and not a Grandblue Dreaming sequel

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World ep 1

Yup, this is LN af, but looks like I'm gonna dig it. Well, we'll see how it goes, but I like the "us against the world" with a Romeo & Juliet twist plot set in motion straight away with the main ship.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Noblesse 1
That seems all over the place. I have zero clue what's supposed to be going on or why, except there's a group call the Union that is bad, the Master, who is a vampire or something, and modified humans. I hope some of this starts making sense at some point.

Kuma 1
This was pretty fun for a day trader in the bear costume.

Great Pretender 11-14
By far the best arc of the show. Cynthia's bittersweet backstory really drove this whole arc forward and it elevated both it and the series as a whole. This arc alone makes it a must watch.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I accidentally watched Noblesse in the right order, lol. I thought I was watching rhe show, but apparently it was the OVA. Animation seemed good for a TV show, but so was Jujutsu Kaisen so what did I know. Now I can just watch the show!

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Akudama Drive Episode 1:

That was, much better
than expected, a hell of a lot better then either IWGP or Nobleese to boot. This might be the undiscovered gem of the season.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Yugioh 5Ds 56

Alright, this bugs me. Yusei, Jack, Ruka, and Aki have all split up to go after their different opponents across Satellite. Except Yusei broke off to go back and join Ruka's group cause he's worried about the kids. From there he proceeded to watch Rua/Ruka beat their opponent, watch a different duel that was not part of their plans, beat his friend turned crazy in his crazy duel, and is now dueling the apparent main villain in their headquarters. All while Jack and Aki are still driving to their opponents? Does Jack "Master of Faster" Atlas need to refuel his motorcycle 3 times or something? But speaking of Ruka, she's been knocking it out lately. She went through a hostile spirit world alone much better than Judai's group ever did, won a tough duel with her brother's mediocre deck, and killed a man before anyone else on the team did. This 11-year old girl has a bright future ahead of her.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
The Last Crusade or Rise of the New World 1
I made it about 5 minutes before I had enough of all the girls breasting boobily everywhere.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Akudama Drive Episode 1:

That was, much better
than expected, a hell of a lot better then either IWGP or Nobleese to boot. This might be the undiscovered gem of the season.

Still need to watch it, but I know it was writen by Danganronpa's writer, so maybe not so much a hidden gem by that name behind it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.