• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
first season is bad for the most part but each successive season builds upon the previous and finds better footing until the concept's potential is finally fully realized in the last. I think it's worthwhile in the end but asking someone to stomach the early eps is hard

i have a vague desire to watch GX and give it One Last Shot but man, some clips I saw of later stuff really wasn't selling me. i dunno. maybe one day lmao

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously what do all these women/girls/Otto see in him?? Suddenly all seven witches are into him?

I remember someone calling out Tohru as a "Mary Sue" last topic, but honestly, I feel like Subaru fits the bill a lot more. He has his own personality, but I feel like modern-day isekai is kind of full of these characters, and that's kind of the point of the fantasy (even though I would NEVER EVER want Subaru's power or to be in his position).

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Thank goodness, Crunchyroll confirmed they are streaming Dragon Quest (TBD) in their updated Fall Schedule
I think I'm just waiting for someone to announce Taiso Samurai and I'm set.
Looking forward to: Jujutsu Kaisen, Ikebukuro West Gate Park, and Hypnosis Mic.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember someone calling out Tohru as a "Mary Sue" last topic, but honestly, I feel like Subaru fits the bill a lot more. He has his own personality, but I feel like modern-day isekai is kind of full of these characters, and that's kind of the point of the fantasy (even though I would NEVER EVER want Subaru's power or to be in his position).

If there is anything Subaru is not, it's a Mary Sue. He permanently lost the chance to be convincingly called that after his cringeworthy outburst at Emilia in S1, among other reasons. In fact, that's the whole initial appeal of the show, subverting the expectation that he was just gonna be another run-of-the-mill MC that conveniently adjusts very easily to the new world he's found himself in. Even you yourself admit you want neither his ability or current status. We're also halfway through the season, and he is at its wit's end trying to figure out how to successfully save everyone.

Yes, the anime has some harem-esque elements to it, but let's not get crazy here lol

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, they played the old OP at the end of the new Higurashi episode.

I hope it's not just a one-off callback and it stays as the OP song.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently, the Xbox Twitter account tweeted this stuff out:

There's a Sound Euphonium one too. At least they know god-tier anime when see it.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
HIgurashi 01

So this is just anime's latest attempt to force feed me moe, this time by shoving a trojan horse of edge down my throat. No thanks.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe any one would call Subaru a Mary Sue lmao. He's an incredibly flawed individual with so much self loathing and only succeeds cause he gets so many chances. Being Subaru would be suffering, we watched this man get mentally and physically tortured and he becomes a Mary Sue cause he ends up with a bunch of people who care about him.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe any one would call Subaru a Mary Sue lmao. He's an incredibly flawed individual with so much self loathing and only succeeds cause he gets so many chances. Being Subaru would be suffering, we watched this man get mentally and physically tortured and he becomes a Mary Sue cause he ends up with a bunch of people who care about him.

I think sometimes I just don't have a full grasp of the stereotype, in general. In some ways, he kind of feels self-insert in a sense, but maybe that's just looking at more of isekai as a whole.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I think sometimes I just don't have a full grasp of the stereotype, in general. In some ways, he kind of feels self-insert in a sense, but maybe that's just looking at more of isekai as a whole.
The self-insert thing is just a throwback to the origin of mary sue characters, which is from fanfiction. It was people injecting an idealized version of themselves into their favorite stories.

Re:Zero has a flawed MC, who, despite the harem tendencies, isn't universally loved regardles or in fact for their flaws. He isn't very competent either.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Subarua is more interesting character than he has a right to be, even though the series tries to have its cake and eat it too in regards to embracing some tropes while subverting (or attempting to) others.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Higurashi 2020 episode 1

yup this is Higurashi alright, I'm pretty sure we got through a lot of the boring ass set up faster but it's been long enough maybe it just felt like it flowed better this time. Was happy to hear the song at the end of the episode, and look forward to seeing people's reactions to the next episode.

I was also very very happy with the very last scene, as I know what that is about from the original series, but in the original it was pretty out of left field with no set up, it just happens, so it's nice to see set up this early. (though again perhaps I just forgot the scene like that but know to pay attention to it this time)

HIgurashi 01

So this is just anime's latest attempt to force feed me moe, this time by shoving a trojan horse of edge down my throat. No thanks.

I take it you never watched the original series?

The first episode is a bit of a mislead.

Warning Violence

Last edited:

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I take it you never watched the original series?

The first episode is a bit of a mislead.
I know the old OP and as someone above put, through general anime osmosis I did have a vague notion of what this entails.

Does first episode being misleading means this is not actually a stabby, stabby stab fiesta or are you referring just to relative time ratio of cute girls vs diving into people's entrails ? Cause it's not like this ep was hiding that aspect at all.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I know the old OP and as someone above put, through general anime osmosis I did have a vague notion of what this entails.

Does first episode being misleading means this is not actually a stabby, stabby stab fiesta or are you referring just to relative time ratio of cute girls vs diving into people's entrails ? Cause it's not like this ep was hiding that aspect at all.
Second part. Far less cute girls just being cute girls than the early stuff has.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Higurashi New's first episode was far better than I could've hoped for, I'm assuming because it's a known property they were able to get away with more than a new show would but I was pleasantly surprised with the pacing. Lots of scene transitions that leave things unsaid, very little unnecessary exposition, and some really nice little flourishes like the completely wordless introduction of all the characters getting ready for the day. I also really love (spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the old show or read the VN)
the way they handled Keiichi's delusional interpretations of Rena and Mion's responses to his questioning. the weird sidechain audio effect and abrupt audio editing really caught me off guard
in a good way. There's pleeeeenty of room for them to fuck this up, but I at least really enjoyed this. Great first impression.

it's a horror series so this is an unanswerable question if "stabby stabby stab fiestas" are bad by default. there's more going on than the first episode lets on though, it's a mystery show

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I will not be giving another Crunchyroll produced webtoon any chances after ToG and GoH.

The only reason I'll be giving Nobless a try, is because the actual source looks SHORT. The last 2 were hundreds of chapters, and this one is only 50. Hoping with it being shorter means that it might make for a better adaptation, without cramming in as much as they can.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
The fact that Assault Lily's OP is by RAISE A SUILEN is some weird shit. I've decided this show exists in Bang Dream Canon.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
If anybody hasn't watched the old Higurashi and thought the intro to the first arc in the new version was horrible, wait until the second arc. Holy shit.

Mercury_Sagit

Aug 4, 2020
Patlabor TV Series, ep. 12+14
The reason I grouped these 2 eps together is that they both focused on character and relationship development. Not much to say since the plots were pretty straightforward.
What surprised me the most in ep 12 was how Ohta handled his unexpected and arranged marriage. His first reactions was quite stereotypical for a gung-ho character: being the best at baring fists and worst at talking with women. Yet in the latter half of ep 12, when he figured out that his fiance loved somone else who had been at death's door due to labor accident, he showed a surprising level of maturity in his handling of the situation. Suddenly he reminded the viewers that he (and all other SV2 members) were already over 2x years old, not teenagers like what their daily interpersonal conflicts suggested. I have not watched that many anime series to make a blanket statement but so far, it's like fresh air to me that I found characters in such age range to resonate with me much more than other shounen characters I know of.

For ep.14, both Kanuka and Noa were again the main focus for character development. Some interesting tidbits about Noa were revealed to the viewers, while Kanuka for the first time fully exposed her soft heart to Noa (she only showed a little bit of her emotion in ep 10-11). Shinshi also contributed his fair share of confession and further reinforced how several SV2 members are really relatable to our own: they have unique traits that will not swiftly change in shot time and personal issues that they have to constanly deal with.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
New Higurashi Episode 1:
Yep that is indeed the Higurashi I know and quasi-tolerated, though this did find a way to make the character designs even uglier with the
introduction of flesh fangs.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Quit my CR sub for now. Tired of the app continually crashing and now the subs were out of sync in Gintama. Sticking with Animelab for now.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
New Higurashi Episode 1:
Yep that is indeed the Higurashi I know and quasi-tolerated, though this did find a way to make the character designs even uglier with the
introduction of flesh fangs.
as someone that's never seen the original i was just starting to think about checking it out, but flesh fangs tell me all i need to know

bring on onii-sama already

Oct 25, 2017
Higurashi is a must watch(barring this adaptation being as good or better than the original)
Everyone that isn't tied to 1 genre owes it to themselves to give it a shot, especially with it being October

Oct 25, 2017
HIgurashi 01

Eh, Higurashi's Moe is like 85%+ for the crazy contrast that it immediately gets into.
For the actual series at least, after the original ended they just pumped out silly adventures with moe and nothing to do with the plot OVAs for years.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Re: Zero S2 episode last one whatever
Subaru's harem inexplicably grows.
tenor.gif
at least Echidna did her own thing, but yeah not fan of the other witches

Status
Not open for further replies.