• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
banana fish second cour looks okay but was a complete wreck production-wise, it got so bad that one of the animation directors who left kyoani (chiyoko ueno) immediately got on the project to bail out utsumi

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
So now that we're a bit far removed from One Punch Man S2. What's the general consensus? Decent watch?

It's not as bad as people generally make out, but it's always going to suffer in comparison to the previous OPM anime. How much you enjoy it will likely depend on how much you can put the production merits out of your head, but unless you are particularly hung up on it as a franchise, there's probably better stuff you could be watching anyway.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Bookworm 10
Ain't capitalism just grand when you have the money to spend to save your life? Luckily she's not one of those filthy poors. She'd be dead again.

Fire Force 20
Another solid episode with Arthur gags that actually made me chuckle. Hinawa is a beast. Next episode also looks like it'll be a banger with Vulcan and Lisa meeting up again after her betrayal a few episodes ago. The way things are going now, it almost feels like we are approaching the end of the series. Especially considering how much this supposed Evangelist knows about the nature of the world and spontaneous human combustion.

MHA S4 8
Good episode, tho it feels like things moved a bit faster than I expected. I suspect most of these fights will be paced out to wrap up cleanly in a single episode, tho I think that puts a bit of a damper on just how tough each of these fights are.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

IMG_20191205_180057.jpg

I was surprised just how packed with references this one was. So many background characters include Ace, Blackbeard Brook, Franky (in the same shot as above), and even and Dorry and Brogy in the final shot. I hope they continue these arc commercials. Hell, I want a One Piece High School anime.
Literally "Fuck you. Got Main."
That's...really good actually even if I'm not sure how well that translates. I thought it was somewhat hilarious that she's named Main, as in MC or main character.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Bookworm 10
Ain't capitalism just grand when you have the money to spend to save your life? Luckily she's not one of those filthy poors. She'd be dead again.
A recurring theme in the series that we've already bumped into a bit is Main wanting to bring prices down and make her goods available to everyone. It's still very much capitalism, she isn't looking to give away something for nothing, but there's a bit more enlightened self-interest going on than with the other merchants she deals with. I don't know if the show will ever mention this, but she pushes hard to get those hair ornaments she made priced within reach of everyday people. I think the very first episode of the show (the flashforward-ish framing device with the priest) mentions some things to this effect.

Benno's been set up on the opposing side of that dynamic with his "squeeze out every last cent" mantra and positioning all of Main's products as luxury items. If I remember right he's expressed worry about how badly she might disrupt the status quo if she went about pricing everything according to her more egalitarian instincts.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
So I've been watching completed Shonen to fall asleep lately. Ushio and Tora was pretty cool and I got a bit into Twin Star Exorcist and it was fine for a while but fuck does it get really bad when they start pulling monster of the week with the 12 whatevers. I was hoping this would break the streak of Exorcist shows being my kryptonite but nope they all end up crap.

Have always been intimidated by it but thinking of breaking the seal on Kaiji. Think I remember some shows being loosely connected to it though. Is that a thing?

Oct 27, 2017
I see Lupin the 3rd part 5 is on Amazon Prime. Is it a standalone series? Or does it follow the events of pt4 or any OVA/film/special?
It is stand alone but I recommend watching The Castle of Cagliostro movie (really great movie and introduction to the world of Lupin) and Part 4 (which is really good) and reading up on the Lupin "jackets" cause part 5 pays homage to these parts.

Still, it is enjoyable on it's own. I recommend it.

/XX/

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
is this the best key animator lineup ever assembled by star power alone? (casshern sins #3)

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/315659415963303936/652890998828957696/mpv-shot0001.jpg
Do you mean only for a single episode of a TV series? Gauging popularity of those involved at the time may be a difficult task currently, but given my own experience or memories there is little that could have impressed me more then in the key animators list department than TTGL #15 (ordered by billing position); Yoshihiko Umakoshi, Mitsuko Baba, Yūichi Takahashi, Ryōma Ebata, Yūki Hayashi, Keigo Sasaki, Naoto Hosoda, Takashi Kawaguchi, Gen'ichirō Abe, Mitsuru Obunai, Yoichi Miyata, Hisashi Mori plus the (at that moment) in-house 'GAiNAXers' Tadashi Hiramatsu, Yuka Shibata, Akira Amemiya, Shōko Nishigaki, Keisuke Watanabe, Kikuko Sadakata, Hitomi Hasegawa, Masashi Yokoi, Satoshi Yamaguchi, Hirokazu Kojima, Kōichi Motomura, Yūsuke Yoshigaki, Ayumu Kotake, Hiroyuki Imaishi, Yō Yoshinari and Sushio. It may seem like I'm highlighting their numbers, but the individual prowess of each one of them is undeniable as well!

When you had Sushio saying prior to its airing that the viewer shall receive "THE PASSION OF MY SOUL!" via that episode, you knew it would be the most 'moeru' cinematic quality on a TV episode yet. Handling 400 cuts worth thousands of KA sheets should have been a total nightmare... but Sushio's indomitable spirit trumped that frightening timetable chock-full of cuts! :'-D

And talking of Shōko Nakamura & Akemi Hayashi, those two still deserve a new joint project. Aniplex Inc., please! ;-)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
in the age of bad anime parents, Welcome to Demon School Iruma kun stands out as a wonderful father figure, love you gramps.

--
Kono Oto Tomare Sounds of Life Season 2 Episode 7 EngDub

Beautiful anime, also love that every single person goes through self esteem and self doubt issues. Relate.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
FGO has shown how dumb an idea adapting the VN tidbits of a gacha game is. It's just not good. I'm only watching for some of the comedy and the fancy action animation.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
anyone read both Dr Stone and watching the anime, is the pacing really this weird at the point it's up to? it feels like they should have 2 episodes left atleast but the last episode is next week

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
anyone read both Dr Stone and watching the anime, is the pacing really this weird at the point it's up to? it feels like they should have 2 episodes left atleast but the last episode is next week
Yeah, it seems like it's going to end at a really weird place. Hopefully they announce the second season soon.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Do you mean only for a single episode of a TV series? Gauging popularity of those involved at the time may be a difficult task currently, but given my own experience or memories there is little that could have impressed me more then in the key animators list department than TTGL #15 (ordered by billing position); Yoshihiko Umakoshi, Mitsuko Baba, Yūichi Takahashi, Ryōma Ebata, Yūki Hayashi, Keigo Sasaki, Naoto Hosoda, Takashi Kawaguchi, Gen'ichirō Abe, Mitsuru Obunai, Yoichi Miyata, Hisashi Mori plus the (at that moment) in-house 'GAiNAXers' Tadashi Hiramatsu, Yuka Shibata, Akira Amemiya, Shōko Nishigaki, Keisuke Watanabe, Kikuko Sadakata, Hitomi Hasegawa, Masashi Yokoi, Satoshi Yamaguchi, Hirokazu Kojima, Kōichi Motomura, Yūsuke Yoshigaki, Ayumu Kotake, Hiroyuki Imaishi, Yō Yoshinari and Sushio. It may seem like I'm highlighting their numbers, but the individual prowess of each one of them is undeniable as well!

haha that's nutty. good catch

the casshern one surprised me because it wasn't really a climactic sakuga spectacle episode like TTGL #15 and yet still managed to pull so many rising stars. but that's the power of yamauchi im sure. I wouldn't be surprised if equally impressive lineups existed on dennou coil given mitsuo iso's similar penchant for attracting talent

Last edited:

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
No Game, No Life Zero

In what is among the most chuuni power fantasies I've ever seen takes place the explicit marriage between the not- progenitors of the brother and sister, after about an hour of preamble. It wasn't until that point that the movie felt to be moving because that's what it took for the protagonist to stop being such an edgy mope. While this all adds meaningful context to the original setting, it's still the same masturbatory hodgepodge of tropes. Reconnecting with the mentality of a 14-year-old ain't going to be that easy with such a product. Schwi's confounding advances, age-regressed Jibril, or all the saber-rattling... I can't decide which facet was more questionable.

0UijCvu.jpg

Expelled from Paradise

It's hard to take this seriously, considering Angela Balzac's design, so it thankfully didn't get too serious. This unfortunately also means it didn't get too serious, but it still managed to land the ending. Despite the awkward start and booty rockin' everywhere, the climax was worth it.

iHKYLZC.png

Last Period: The Story of an Endless Spiral 1–12 [END]

Like with Etotama, pointing out shoddy material doesn't tickle my funny bone, especially via the 4th wall. Also like with Etotama, only the character designs were neat.

n2rODZ7.png

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished My Neighbor Totoro. What an adorably charming movie. Might be my fav along with Kikis Delivery.

Im starting to sense I vastly prefer these feel good movies rather than something more serious like Grave of the Fireflies. Weird cause I came in expecting it to really love the serious tone films prior to my marathon.

/XX/

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
the casshern one surprised me because it wasn't really a climactic sakuga spectacle episode like TTGL #15 and yet still managed to pull so many rising stars. but that's the power of yamauchi im sure. I wouldn't be surprised if equally impressive lineups existed on dennou coil given mitsuo iso's similar penchant for attracting talent
Oh, yeah. I appreciate that kind of low-key collaboration born out of contacts and support for the sake of it, rather than a "call to arms" for everybody available to work in some heavy duty episode, so to speak!

To mention one of those myself; Magical DoReMi DOKKA~N! #40 with Mamoru Hosoda at the helm had only (ordered by billing position) Yoshihiko Umakoshi (I'm starting to detect a common denominator on our posts), Gen Satō, Takafumi Hori, Sushio, Chikashi Kubota and Mikine Kuwabara (plus Nobutake Itō uncredited) as key animators, all exceptional ones motivated by their respect for Mr. Hosoda as seen later in other collaborations like, for example, ONE PIECE: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island, where 'GAiNAXers' Sushio & Mr. Kubota made way on schedules freelancing exclusively for him.

That episode didn't focus just on the usual lively motion of the series' characters, but on a rather subtlety and moody penchant for a melancholic atmosphere instead (some in this community may remember my previously confessed love for his adaptation of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, which harkens back to this episode in many stylistic ways). And I'd consider it low-key in the way that animators personalities unique on their own sometimes do favour a faintly subdued approach, to highlight more purely the vision of a creator they immensely respect.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
MHA S4-08:

Well I'm glad they spent a good Chuck of the episode in a literal stare contest while we get flashbacks.... I thought the action was fine.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I haven't watched this week's episode yet, but yes, the pacing has been definitely odd. It feels like they meandered a bit during the first parts of the series and are now trying to rush to an okay stopping point, tho based on how long this arc is, they could probably spend another 6 episodes to properly wrap things up.

They could have probably done either a better paced 2-cour or a slightly stretched 3-cour but went with neither. It's not been the best adaptation.
MHA S4-08:

Well I'm glad they spent a good Chuck of the episode in a literal stare contest while we get flashbacks.... I thought the action was fine.
Another okay, but not great, adaptation. Mid-fight flashbacks work far better in manga and this was just a bit more messy than it needed to be. Again, it feels more like trying to cram full fights into single episodes instead of giving them some breathing room.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 43

Elena's arc has focused a lot on the power and meaning of smiles. While I don't personally think it was an interesting direction to go for her, at least they finally did something with it here. Tenjou's planet was a bit underdeveloped, but we got the point that it's got a smug culture and a rampant case of... noseism? Helped explain Tenjou's issues at least, where smiles are used to pity others at best and display arrogance/disdain at worst. They've never symbolized good things to her, so Elena trying to embody their best aspects ticked her off. As for Elena herself, she's trying to present an honest smile where she and everyone else are genuinely happy. Forcing it on when she isn't happy isn't really a healthy approach. But for the most part she has been genuine, as while she does acknowledge the issues she faces, she's been able to grow and learn from them. Could've been done earlier, but at least we finally got a deep dive into her character. Still, her and Tenjou's arc isn't quite done yet. Coupled with Madoka's lingering question, this finale will hopefully have something for everyone.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Promare

Very pretty and very dumb, but in a fun way. Climax is a bit long but crammed with Trigger's greatest hits, if you're into that sort of thing.

What is it with Trigger and magma lately...?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Promare (Redux)
Instead of seeing a movie that I want to see before the end of the year, like Waves or Ford v Ferrari, I ended up going to see Promare for a 3rd time (once in a convention setting subbed, theatrically dubbed, and this version subbed). This added on an animated short before the movie, that I have to assume was originally an idea they had to start the movie, as it covers Galo joining the Burning Rescue group. It has a lot of issues- it's a way worse start to the movie than the start we got in the real movie (with the origin of the Burnish and the first encounter/capture of Lio), it's not animated as well as everything else, and it retreads a lot of things from the proper movie- an explanation of the Maori spear Galo uses, the Mad Burnish using Motorcycles to circle Galo in, etc.

Seeing it a 3rd time reinforced my thoughts on Promare as a whole- it is an incredible visual fest, with a borderline braindead plot that spends a little too long thinking it's important. It's not David Cage's Detroit Become Human bad, but it gets pretty close. If you are remotely interested in seeing this movie, I Implore you to go to a theater this week and catch it- it's going to lose a LOT going from a big screen to a TV, as the reason you want to watch this is for the insane visuals.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Every time Beastars makes me think "This world is really messed up" I think about it, and ours isn't much better.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
So far the 4th season of my hero is pretty underwhelming. Lets see where it goes from here. Preview of the next episode looks also kinda meh.

Tagaki-san season 2 is finally available for Netflix germany. Today is a good day.

Last edited:

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Did Funimation premiere the first episodes of Plunderer on their Youtube today? I missed it.

Edit: Gah. It wasn't available to stream in the U.S..

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon 2019 4

3LSoY6I.png

Fun and adorable episode. Genuinely laughed on how stupid the scene was with Ash and Go brushing their teeth. Nickits are adorable and I'm glad I used one on my team, the little send off they had for Scorbunny was cute. Also I'm guessing Scorbunny hating Ash but loving Go is going to be a recurring gag.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
more info about yoh yoshinari (little witch academia) and studio trigger's new anime is up

hM7W2Vn.png

in director yoshinari's staff commentary he says BNA can also stand for BEAST NEW AGE, BEING NEO ANIMAL, or BEAST DNA

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
more info about yoh yoshinari (little witch academia) and studio trigger's new anime is up

hM7W2Vn.png

in director yoshinari's staff commentary he says BNA can also stand for BEAST NEW AGE, BEING NEO ANIMAL, or BEAST DNA

Looks neat. Then again, I'm kind of a Trigger fanboy. The website does shed a bit more light on the plot. Here's a rough, machine translation:

In the 21st century, beasts who had been hidden in the darkness of history began to reveal their existence. One day, Michiru Kagemori suddenly becomes a tanooki beast. She heads to the beastman special zone known as "Anima City". It's a city for beasts that was created ten years ago that allows these beings to live like beasts. Michiru meets up with Shiro Okami, a wolf beast who hates human beings. He learned the troubles, life and joy of "Beast People" that he never knew when he was in the human world. Why did Michiru become a beast? While chasing this mystery, she becomes involved in a big event.

So, it's set in the world of humans but specifically in a special city created for these beast people. Also, it appears to have a lyconthopy angle since the website shows both the Shiro character's human and beast forms.

Those designs are bad.
They look fine except for the guy on the right who looks exactly like a blond Andrew from LWA.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Aikatsu on Parade 10: It May Have Required Shattering Time and Space, But I Have Obtained Freedom

I guess we're just jumping into this without any explanation of how the worlds merging is supposed to work. I assume the planet got bigger or something? Raki didn't do anything, but she finally broke away from PP, so that's a win for everyone. All the senpai idols together in one scary group. I get why, but I feel sorry for Tsubasa and Yozora for not making it. Mirai, Elza, and Mizuki stood out the most between them. Mizuki got to represent two schools by herself. Though the only Dream Academy person we saw was the headmistress. Oh hey, Haruka is still alive. Mostly just all of them meeting and organizing the big fest, but oh that payoff. Mizuki/Elza/Hibiki Take Me Higher is a thing of beauty. Hopefully Kaede and Yurika have no objections. Show is finally on its feet, and next we've got both Seira and She Who Rolls to keep up the momentum.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Magia Record's gonna be two cour,. Shaft's gonna die doing this probably.

My best guess for Magia Record is that the first season will cover the first 6 or so chapters, and the second season will cover the rest of part 1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.