• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Aikatsu on Parade 4

Passion Jalapeño storm Honey Cat's event and take it over for themselves. Yeah it sounds like them. At least Hinaki remembered that she's done this before. The 3 songs an episode rush is already getting old when none of them are new, though at least it's been awhile since one of them was seen. Meanwhile, Raki has been tearing holes in dimensions she's not even in, but at least she's figuring out how to control her power. More confirmation that Raki's big sister is an evil mad scientist.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise 05

It was kind of fun seeing a super serious character like Hiroto talking about the feelings of Gunpla. You can tell it didn't come naturally to him.

Hmm...I wonder if this is an example of what they call "gap moe".

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Sun & Moon 1-28

Lives up to all of the hype. I never knew I wanted a slice of life Pokemon series until I started watching this. I loved the typical shonen stuff from XYZ but this is totally different and it also rules.

Ash is just so much more animated. His actions and behaviors actually make him feel like a 10 year old kid. Hes got a gamut of expressions.

Episode 28 is one of my favorite episodes of Pokemon and anime in general. It was so wild, wacky and brimming with personality. It's also one of the funniest and best animated Pokemon episodes ever. I know this one was super divisive but I had a giant smile on my face the entire time. Tsundere ass Litten playing with the ball then immediately attacking it when he saw others were looking at him is the cutest thing. I hope we get more Pokemon and sports mashups.

My bro Kiawe needs to stop losing so much though.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Astonishingly so, which is why he needs to watch it.
Oh..

Valvrave 01
Xv3gBPv.jpg
Yeah Shoko you dummie, play that when you lot are not getting invaded and pulverized by rockets./ and whatnot.

*sees the post-credits scene* I understand now why this is on DTL's rec list.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Soft Tennis Jesus #4

Honestly, I'm kinda over Maki being the second coming of Christ. His relationship with Touma also feels underwritten despite both being protagonists, maybe get rid of their beta-orbiters and give them more scenes alone together? Their dynamic is rather dull, considering everything.

The most interesting thing was Prez didn't swap partner and felt left out, which could make for some interesting, down to earth drama that doesn't involve people getting beaten by their classmates and parents, I guess.

This character is awful, by the way.

Anyway, daddy is back in town and I can already see where they are going with this sub-plot. If the scene in the first episode was gut-inducing without feeling over-dramatic, this one on other hand felt like something Mari Okada could have written.

Yeah, this was not a good week for this show...

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Pokemon Sun & Moon 1-28

Lives up to all of the hype. I never knew I wanted a slice of life Pokemon series until I started watching this. I loved the typical shonen stuff from XYZ but this is totally different and it also rules.

Ash is just so much more animated. His actions and behaviors actually make him feel like a 10 year old kid. Hes got a gamut of expressions.

Episode 28 is one of my favorite episodes of Pokemon and anime in general. It was so wild, wacky and brimming with personality. It's also one of the funniest and best animated Pokemon episodes ever. I know this one was super divisive but I had a giant smile on my face the entire time. Tsundere ass Litten playing with the ball then immediately attacking it when he saw others were looking at him is the cutest thing. I hope we get more Pokemon and sports mashups.

My bro Kiawe needs to stop losing so much though.

Sun and Moon is DELIGHTFUL

tumblr_owavzxdyBf1qc9dlro6_500.gifv

Last edited:

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
happy halloween for maria.

caught up on some stuff this season. halfway through demon slayer and its my favorite show this year. caught up on ahiru no sora and its meh, ace of diamond is still great though. watched a few episodes of the bookworm isekai and am enjoying the show... outside of the creepy shit. could use less of that.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Blade of the Immortal (2019) 5
It's taken a while to get there, but I do feel this episode was the best distillation of this new adaptation of Blade of the Immortal we've seen so far; it's relatively well paced and self-contained, focusing on our heroes interactions with one odd swordsman on their hit list, just like the best previous episodes have done.

Beastars 4
I like the way Beastars finds organic ways to answer some questions about the seedy side of this utopia without bringing the plot to a standstill for some exposition; you're opinion of Bill, his actions in the last scene, and the development of Louis' relationship with Legosi all stem from a plot point that fills in a surprising amount of information about the larger world all without requiring any real in-depth explanation at all... it's just excellent storytelling.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?! 1-4

I wonder if I'm the only one here still watching this.

Not gonna mince words - it is exactly as you'd expect from the premise: generic isekai trash with a relatively minor twist in the form of the protagonist being a former high-school girl that was a shut-in super nerd in her previous life, and basically becomes her reincarnated universe's version of One-Punch Man, right down to having multiple (also female) variants of Genos in the form of her party members.

Unlike OPM, however, it doesn't get the benefit of a stellar production. In fact, the production quality is distinctly below average, which I find rather ironic given the title. So you aren't going to be watching this for anything resembling decent sakuga. What you get instead is an incredibly silly protagonist who is both freakishly overpowered and is trying to remain as low-key as possible in the most ditzy manners the author can conceive of. Her characterization is pretty typical anime bullshit - more a collection of tropes than a believable individual, and the same goes for her party members (though I will never tire of the soft-spoken priest who is actually a well-educated and ruthless merchant's daughter).

So why the hell am I watching this garbage? Well, mostly because it's mildly entertaining and I am an absolute sucker for anything that has a female protagonist who isn't constantly being perved on by the camera. I rather like the premise, as middlingly executed as it is, and I do enjoy just seeing how much she can break the universe while being cute and exceptionally geeky. I just wish we could move away from the really dumb and overplayed shit like the A-Cup Angst, which I could only roll my eyes at. Well, that, and we're still looking at some outfit designs (particularly of the "evil is sexy" bent) that are just not very plausible, but okay, whatever, I can deal with that. At least the main cast is mostly alright. (Get rid of the boobplate tho, please and thank you.)

I do worry that the story has taken a turn away from the thing that I'm most here for - the shenanigans involving the main protag being what she is. I suppose it's kind of inevitable that there will be a turn towards drama, as the rest of the universe isn't going to be as light-hearted as the OP MC will trend it towards, but we're going straight towards murder and child slavery and I don't know if I needed this show to go there, man. Guess we'll see how that turns out next episode.

I am watching other things, but I'll need more time to sort out my thoughts on those.

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
I'm amazed at the improvement of quality in the Assassin's Pride anime vs the manga

- Better pacing
- More worldbuilding/early character introductions
- Actually feel the oppressiveness of the setting being "the last bastion of humanity" and an eternal twilight
- they cut out a lot of the sexual harassment bullshit

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
MSG ZZ Ep. 12-19

Besides Ep 14-15, most of the episodes were pretty good and I can see the tone starting to shift. Best part was having Roux, Elle, and Iino actually start doing something like piloting the Gundams. I'll give Beecha and Mondo the benefit of doubt to contribute eventually because they're pretty useless. Also good to see that they continued the tradition of introducing a new type with a quirky personality with Elpeo.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Angel Beats 1-13
I have to say that I am kind of disappointed with the second half of the show. It felt like the story ended up really rushed, and that ended up hurting the emotional beats of the story. It starts to become apparent when Naoi becomes a villain for an episode. He was a villain for like 3 minutes and then he turns a new when Otonashi hugging him and his back story playing out. The problem is that it's hard to feel emotions for a character that had almost zero screen time. So the end scene with him breaking down does nothing for me. Then they do absolutely nothing with his character afterwards, which makes me wonder why he is at the graduation or have a backstory and not literally anyone else who had more of a role.

Naoi is not the only thing that shows the story being rush, you have Hinata out of nowhere saying that he would marry Yui no matter what at the climax of episode 10 and Yui ends up finding peace, but the only interaction these two had were fighting each other for comic relief. The whole montage of them meeting each other when they were alive feels hollow and unearned because there wasn't even a hint that they had any feeling for each other. I feel, to a lesser degree, the same about Otonashi and Kanade, nothing about their interactions with each other made me feel like Otonashi breaking down over her disappearing was justified, at least not at that stage.

I also really hate how the rest of the cast just disappears without any closure. One episode you see some of them fighting the shadows for a minute and then you never see them again. The ending graduation would have had more impact if everybody was there for it and they all disappeared together, like maybe when they are singing the final song they start to disappear. I enjoyed the supporting characters for the most part but I wish the developed them more. Yui and Iwasawa are the only ones who get any real development as supporting characters and those episode probably had the most emotional resonance for me in the show.

I enjoyed the first half, I feel like the humor was good and the character were developing well enough, but it feel like they were planning more episode and longer character arcs and someone pulled the plug half way into the first cour and they has to rush to finish the story.

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
Angel Beats 1-13
I have to say that I am kind of disappointed with the second half of the show. It felt like the story ended up really rushed, and that ended up hurting the emotional beats of the story. It starts to become apparent when Naoi becomes a villain for an episode. He was a villain for like 3 minutes and then he turns a new when Otonashi hugging him and his back story playing out. The problem is that it's hard to feel emotions for a character that had almost zero screen time. So the end scene with him breaking down does nothing for me. Then they do absolutely nothing with his character afterwards, which makes me wonder why he is at the graduation or have a backstory and not literally anyone else who had more of a role.

Naoi is not the only thing that shows the story being rush, you have Hinata out of nowhere saying that he would marry Yui no matter what at the climax of episode 10 and Yui ends up finding peace, but the only interaction these two had were fighting each other for comic relief. The whole montage of them meeting each other when they were alive feels hollow and unearned because there wasn't even a hint that they had any feeling for each other. I feel, to a lesser degree, the same about Otonashi and Kanade, nothing about their interactions with each other made me feel like Otonashi breaking down over her disappearing was justified, at least not at that stage.

I also really hate how the rest of the cast just disappears without any closure. One episode you see some of them fighting the shadows for a minute and then you never see them again. The ending graduation would have had more impact if everybody was there for it and they all disappeared together, like maybe when they are singing the final song they start to disappear. I enjoyed the supporting characters for the most part but I wish the developed them more. Yui and Iwasawa are the only ones who get any real development as supporting characters and those episode probably had the most emotional resonance for me in the show.

I enjoyed the first half, I feel like the humor was good and the character were developing well enough, but it feel like they were planning more episode and longer character arcs and someone pulled the plug half way into the first cour and they has to rush to finish the story.
Angel beats is 10 years old????

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Bookworm 5
Hopefully Main can control her awesome fever isekai power she's got instead of just dying again. I'm also not a real big fan of the Lutz x Main trend here and hope that is mostly sidelined for Main's book conquest. Side note: I am still absolutely astonished Main and her family haven't royally cashed in on their future etsy products like homemade shampoo and hair pins and crochet hooks and pancakes and literally every other thing Main's brought to the middle ages.

She wouldn't need to make her own books as she could just buy them all with all the coin she'd make.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Okada Tennis-4

When the show focuses on the sport itself, it's really good. When it focuses on the drama, it's really bad.

The overall direction is also really clumsy in how the dramatic bits are handled. It's like I'm watching two separate shows.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Stars Align 4

I expected them to focus on the sport this time around and It seems like it was fine. I am not sure what their plan is with such a short runtime, I almost would have preferred that this episode had just a bunch of implied montage to at least show them improving, rather than one match. It is beautifully animated though.

I think the drama could not have worked with such little left over time in the episode. I think that makes this the weakest episode so far and that is a shame. They kind of need to focus on something . I do not think they can land the plane on having this big a cast with only 12 episodes. I wonder what the end goal of the show is. Sport? Drama? Ultimately, this episode did not serve much more than setup. Still will look forward to what comes next!

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Okada Tennis-4

When the show focuses on the sport itself, it's really good. When it focuses on the drama, it's really bad.

The overall direction is also really clumsy in how the dramatic bits are handled. It's like I'm watching two separate shows.

I kind of think that is deliberate? The way the scenes with Maki and his father, Toma and his mom, and the other kid and his mom are very clearly framed to completely shift tone and momentum. I took it as the creators trying to highlight how traumatizing and horrific abuse is, and how victims can attempt to cope by compartmentalize it. I do agree that some of it does not land (specially this episode) but it is a hard thing to pull off in a way that does not end up being manipulative of the audience. I think the way the characters react is very palpable and human, while the framing of how they are placed in those situations and how they are framed has been hit or miss.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about dropping No Guns Life. I liked the first episode but found the next three episodes incredibly boring.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I kind of think that is deliberate? The way the scenes with Maki and his father, Toma and his mom, and the other kid and his mom are very clearly framed to completely shift tone and momentum. I took it as the creators trying to highlight how traumatizing and horrific abuse is, and how victims can attempt to cope by compartmentalize it. I do agree that some of it does not land (specially this episode) but it is a hard thing to pull off in a way that does not end up being manipulative of the audience. I think the way the characters react is very palpable and human, while the framing of how they are placed in those situations and how they are framed has been hit or miss.
Whatever the goal is on the part of the director, the result is a show that feels disjointed at best and hamfistingly manipulative at worst. None of the drama feels organic in any way and instead is something akin to what I would expect from Black Rock Shooter TV. For example, this episode the melodrama is almost entirely in that one scene after the credits. It's too isolated from the show to have any real emotional value and it's so over-the-top in execution to not come across as laughable. The dialogue the father was spouting at the end was garbage in how stilted and contrived it was, which stands in to stark contrast with how natural the rest of the show is.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about dropping No Guns Life. I liked the first episode but found the next three episodes incredibly boring.
I'd give it another shot with the next few episodes. They've just covered the first volume of the manga which was just alright. The next volume is much better in terms of intrigue and action.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Oresuki 1-4

Well this could be interesting.... and I also like how everyone is an evil jerk to each other.... oh hmm nvm It's just a harem. Everyone is still awful and jerks to each other so maybe ill keep watching it because im a trash Kyra.

Blade of the Immortal 1-4

I haven't read this manga but ive seen Shigirui.. don't ask. Not sure if that means anything though as Shigirui this is not.
This is... weird. Something is very off about this show. I feel like im watching something that's made to look and feel like Anime but isn't quite that for something reason. There is something very artificial about this show and I cant quite nail it down. For some very odd reason. I quite liked episode 4 even though it was just a few flashbacks and 1 long conversation. I kind of found it fascinating and unlike any of the episodes before it.

Houkago Saikuro Club. 1-3 (Dropped)

Some of these game could be fun to play but i feel like playing them would be more fun than watching this anime. Just very bland and by the numbers school girls doing club stuff.

Gun Face Columbo 1-3

I feel like this show keeps jerking me into different directions that arent bad places to be but don't give me a chance to settle in. Which is odd because this is so exposition heavy. I really want to like this more than I do and it doesnt look like episode 4 will help from what i've been reading.

Business Animals. 1-4

Very hit or miss nonsense comedy ,but when it hits it really does hit and when it misses it misses super hard. I'm not sure i can take 7 or 8 more episodes of this. I hope they can keep the comedy at least consistent without getting too nonsensical.

Marimashita Iruma-Kun! 1-4

Why? Why do i like this show? lol. The animation isnt that great.. the art is a bit basic and ugly. The plot and the gags are predictable and somewhat cheap. But it all works well for some reason. Maybe its because I identify with Clara so much. This stupid show actually made me get quite emotional with her episode and i['m still struggling with trying to understand why.

Beastars 1-3

Yooooooo!!! If they keep this quality up this show will go places. The highlight of the season for sure. The world is fascinating and the writing here is just on another level. The direction is just captivating. I hope this show pays off.

Shinchou Yuusha 1-2 (dropped)

This is a show where you find animated gif of the goddess after each episode comes out and experience that instead of sitting through it. I'm sure some people are into it but it's just not for me.

PSO Episode Oracle 1-3 (dropped)

I guess you need to play the game to have reverence for whats going on in it. Some of my friends say the best part was it has some of the old music in it and it made them nostalgic. Very dull and droll.

Syrinx

Oct 25, 2017
Aikatsu On Parade! 4

Johnny-sensei returns next week.

The world has been waiting for this momentous occasion.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
While I don't mind Arata he's such a non-entity 90% of the time. His bits in the last episode of S3 were good though.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
PSO Episode Oracle 1-3 (dropped)

I guess you need to play the game to have reverence for whats going on in it. Some of my friends say the best part was it has some of the old music in it and it made them nostalgic. Very dull and droll.
Nah, the game was even more vague than the anime during the first major arc, the way the story is handled in the game is just not friendly at all towards an anime format, but the story does start getting interesting at the very end of the first major arc/start of the second.
The anime changed alot of things from the game to try to make it more interesting, but, they're rushing too much through characters introductions instead of exploring the characters that were already introduced...

Oct 25, 2017
Angel Beats 1-13

Aw darn for an anime I watch annually, I thought it is one of the best short shows of all time. Everything just works increasinly awesomely together, like, wow.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for being an ignorant or I'm simply old. But what is it with Japan's fascination with dressing little boys as girls? I'm seeing it more and more lately in anime and light novels. I don't want to offend anyone, I just want to understand the trend lately, it seems like it's a weird sexual fetish.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apologize for bringing up a weird NSFW topic but:
Lately I've been seeing more and more girls in anime drawn with this strange looking rash on their boobs:
ijxvz8mzs3w31.jpg
Do you guys know why?

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Bookworm 5
Hopefully Main can control her awesome fever isekai power she's got instead of just dying again. I'm also not a real big fan of the Lutz x Main trend here and hope that is mostly sidelined for Main's book conquest. Side note: I am still absolutely astonished Main and her family haven't royally cashed in on their future etsy products like homemade shampoo and hair pins and crochet hooks and pancakes and literally every other thing Main's brought to the middle ages.

She wouldn't need to make her own books as she could just buy them all with all the coin she'd make.
It constantly throws me for a loop that her book lust is so strong that she is completely missing profiting on all these amazing other skills she has or inventions which could get her the money to fund her book quest.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Apologize for bringing up a weird NSFW topic but:
Lately I've been seeing more and more girls in anime drawn with this strange looking rash on their boobs:
ijxvz8mzs3w31.jpg
Do you guys know why?
Art style choice. To show their skin is smooth. It's very silly, but it's been around for a while.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
DAMN YOU DEKU!

>.> wonder why it was delayed.

edit: sounds like rugby.

i think it is, it's on pretty early tomorrow and usually livechart sends me a notification about it being on pretty early too

also no Kandagawa Jet Girls next week either, i assume because some animation was a bit rough this week the next episode is slightly behind

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.