• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Panty & Stocking 02 - The Dub

hvl9hCA.jpg

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 36

sl1SddE.jpg

Oh no, more furries! And furry-Yuni comes back in this episode too.

Finally an episode worth getting excited about! It's been far too long. Yuni episodes are pretty much always good, so maybe I should have expected this one to be, but at the same time it was a movie tie-in episode, which sounded worrisome. But it turns out they nailed it! Ann gets introduced, characterized, and developed cleanly within the span of this one episode (an even more notable achievement than it would be in most shows due to Precure having multiple minutes of required stock footage eating up precious time), and they do it not as a one-off side thing, but as a tie-in to Blue Cat's ongoing story and development too, while also bringing back a bit character from an earlier episode for a larger role and continuing the interesting world-building of the Starscape Realm.

Basically, we got something of a miracle of great pacing this week.

...And now using that word has reminded me how thoroughly Miracle Universe failed at doing literally all of the same things this episode nails. Comparing Ann and the annoying bird from that movie is a completely one-sided stomp, despite her huge time and focus disadvantage. Man, am I glad the real movie looks to be a lot better than the crossover one. Oh, on that note, the Miracle Light cameo in this episode was a cute nod too. They did a great job of leaving hooks to tie in with the new movie without making the episode into a straight-up advertisement for it. (That's what the OP and ED are for, after all.)

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a streaming service where I can watch 80s-90s anime specifically ninja scroll and demon city shinjuku?
80's-90's stuff is sorta all over the place when it comes to streaming, I guess I would say HDIVE (via Sentai Filmworks licenses) and Crunchyroll (via their current deal/partnership with Discotek) have more of them then the other services. Crunchy unless something has changed, you should be able to watch any of those show with Ads without needing to subscribe; HDIVE is a bit more dicey with many of their older shows like VOTOMS, LOTGH and Patlabor behind their paywall. As Valdfellgar said, Ninja Scroll is on HIDVIE (behind the paywall); while Demon City is liscened by Discotek.....so may randomly appear on Crunchyroll one day since there is no real pattern of which Discotek stuff gets added.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of older shows you'd probably have to go on a globetrotting treasure hunt to find out who has the rights now.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Watch Demon Slayer, or if you're not looking for action anime watch Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai and don't judge it based on the title despite the title being really bad!

Or just watch 80s and 90s anime idk. Watch something soul crushing like Now and Then, Here and There.
if you want more fresh and fun like C&T, try little witch academia, both have similar vibes of being carefree episodic adventures with a bit of relevant social commentary
Thank you both for your recommendations, I'll check them out.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
Elfen Lied 11–13 [END]

To Kouta, "everyone is like Kanae," his little sister. Nyu cut her hair to look like her in order to forgive him as Kanae for being mean to her on the day she died because it made him sad to remember that. By the way, Nyu/Lucy was the one that killed her.

Him: "You killed my dad and sister... but I love you." Smooch.
Her: "I'm sorry for making you feel sad so many times." Intimate embrace.

Yes, that actually happened. This managed to make me laugh out loud more times than most other comedies, so kudos on that. I mean, this is a comedy, right? No one would honestly try to pass this off as a somber and raw depiction of both primal and systematic discrimination and the damage those cause, right? Planting bombs in a newborn baby and detonating them later after she failed to kill a member of her own race wasn't serious, right? And what does beating a puppy to death with a flower vase have to do with anything? But at least the rape was relevant to the episode it belonged to... only because it was double-downed on.

The only thing to say about the technical qualities is that the acting/directing/script could not carry the weight of the subjects covered. Oh, and this show feels blatantly padded for time with the amount of recapping done and the overall slow pace. That's rather strange, considering there's an extra episode (10.5).
—————
Body count: 56+ (only counted Lucy's on-screen murders)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Elfen Lied 11–13 [END]

To Kouta, "everyone is like Kanae," his little sister. Nyu cut her hair to look like her in order to forgive him as Kanae for being mean to her on the day she died because it made him sad to remember that. By the way, Nyu/Lucy was the one that killed her.

Yes, that actually happened. This managed to make me laugh out loud more times than most other comedies, so kudos on that. I mean, this is a comedy, right? No one would honestly try to pass this off as a somber and raw depiction of both primal and systematic discrimination and the damage those cause, right? Planting bombs in a newborn baby and detonating them later after she failed to kill a member of her own race wasn't serious, right? And what does beating a puppy to death with a flower vase have to do with anything? But at least the rape was relevant to the episode it belonged to... only because it was double-downed on.

The only thing to say about the technical qualities is that the acting/directing/script could not carry the weight of the subjects covered. Oh, and this show feels blatantly padded for time with the amount of recapping done and the overall slow pace. That's rather strange, considering there's an extra episode (10.5).
—————
so what's next?

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Dr Stone 15
That's a very... fast forward way of curing pneumonia (that went on for years??) but I'll let it slide because I'm a sucker for procedural stuff like this.

MHA S4E01
People were saying it was a recap but felt better than most recap eps. I guess I was expecting a clip show. I liked it, glad to have this back.

Is it possible to go any lower than Elfin Lied?

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 36

Is it okay for the Precure to fight the space mafia? Who apparently have actual guns? Yuni knows stealing is bad, but if it's the mafia who cares. Lala didn't actually say stealing is bad. Ann is alright, though it's obvious she's just a movie tie-in. Yuni got some actual good development with how she pointed out stealing may not be bad if it's for a just cause, just like spying. The point wasn't actually countered. We get an actual fight this time. That's rare. Guess they were lucky enough to run into a nice mafia boss. Yuni declaring she will continue to steal her planet's treasure back has solidly put her above Madoka. What do you know, when the space show focuses on aliens, it gets good again. What a novel concept.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Elfen Lied 11–13 [END]

—————
Now do you finally get the pronunciation of Elfen Lied?

moogs

Oct 25, 2017

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
School Days is a masterpiece of shit. You really had to be there when it was airing to fully appreciate it.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
The Rose of Vesailles 37

For some reason I didn't think Andre and Oscar would ever move forward with their relationship but this episode seems to push them further and closes that chapter. Will they continue to work for the Royal family as the army or will they fight for the people, Oscar seem to make that critical decision next episode.

It's pretty interesting to see Oscar's father make a heartfelt plea to Andre to return safely and that he would gladly give Oscar in marriage if he was a Noble. It's really silly in the modern western progressive lens to hear that but this is a topic I've been thinking about. 'Family' sentiment is still very prevalent in the east but I'm gonna assume it's to a far lesser degree in the west now. The emphasis on Individualism vs Familial being is a difficult balance to make, not just because you have to decide what you wish to let go of (and you will most likely have to let go of something, you can't make everyone happy) but because you don't necessarily and fully comprehend what you're letting go of in the process of this.

Beastars 01

Good start. Some really good direction as much as the plot seems to tackle a rather simple zootopia conflict but I'm willing to give it the benfit of doubt to see where it takes the drama. It seems to be about these characters who are having their own struggles as well. Terrific production quality as everyone mentioned.

Weathering With You

Now this is something special because this is the first time I got to watch an anime movie in a theater. A fan petition and some trending hashtags got Shinkai's attention and eventually he got around have this movie release here. Thankfully, this was a success with multiple theaters in multiple cities being housefull over the weekend and friday. They're even extending it to another week but I wonder how that will go.

Anyways.

Weathering With You is an interesting progression of Shinkai in terms of his stories. This is a conclusive story along the lines of Your Name in some ways but it still leaves some very huge things unanswered, leaving the audience to wonder. I think this is an interesting balance he might have found. The movie in general was pretty entertaining, with lot of humor and occasional tension. I'm not really big on the story in general but much like Your Name, Shinkai relies a lot more the emotional connection and void setup he establishes and less on the logical specifics of the setup (and that's partly something I picked up right from the trailer). It's not something I dislike at all but its effectiveness is often shortlived. It was in the context of me watching the movie in a theater was nice to
see cameos from Your Name haha and now I have to check the weather in the ending for Your Name.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The new series of Cooking Master Boy (Shin Chuuka Ichiban!) is really weird. I was assuming it would either be a retelling or a continuation, and was hoping for a continuation.

But Ep 1 was randomly a remake of episode 20 of the original series, and judging from the next episode preview, episode 2 will be a remake in some way of the episode 21-23 arc, probably jammed into one ep. Bizarre and disappointing.
For anyone wondering too, ep 20 was not any kind of special ep, not was it the start of a new arc or anything, just a random one-off episode, as it is in the remake too.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I've heard to many good things about Clannad and Clannd: After Story that I'd love to watch it, but being in the UK there don't appear to be any UK-accessible (legal) ways to stream it. Does anyone know any different? I'm surprised it's not on Crunchyroll (which I have subbed to for other shows).

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Guns Life Ep 1

That was freaking great. Initially I was like this is too fucking weird for me to get into. I didn't think it would win me over, but by the end of the episode I wanted to see more. Hope it continues to be good.

Beastars 01

Good start. Some really good direction as much as the plot seems to tackle a rather simple zootopia conflict but I'm willing to give it the benfit of doubt to see where it takes the drama. It seems to be about these characters who are having their own struggles as well. Terrific production quality as everyone mentioned.
The mangaka talked about how they feared their story was going to be too similar to zootopia during the release of both works but after seeing the movie it turned out the two approached their subjects pretty differently.

The way I see it, they both benefit from each other.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
There's actually three Guyver anime, a stand-alone OVA/Pseudo-Movie, the late 80s OVA Series, and the 2005 one. They're all separate continuities that are adapting the manga to varying degrees of faithfulness. The Pseudo-Movie isn't faithful, at all, besides the first few chapters. The 80s OVA hits a lot of the important beats, but condences stuff, and the 2005 is pretty darn faithful, but just stops shortly after beginning a new arc.

<---- Loves Guyver.

Thanks. I might just try and work my way through them one at a time then.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Zeta Gundam 35
FOOOOUUUUUUURRRR! You better not be bringing her back just to kill her off. The atmosphere in the Kilimanjaro base was tense. The animation was a lot smoother than usual this episode, very nice.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
da Vinci and Romani being the married couple that voiced Shiki and Mikiya is funny.

Oct 25, 2017
Ahiru no Sora Episode 2

The gang plot needs to get dropped or resolved quickly because its so lame and done so much in animes that there is nothing unique or interesting here with it that I can't get past the feeling of just skipping through it. If only Momo's character development moments didn't happen during those moments :(

Easily, Momo plot is the more interesting and compelling part of this anime.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Vinland Saga 14
Fuck Askeladd. Feel like the priest will eventually find out that Thorfinn is Thor's kid. Maybe eventually get Thorfinn to go against these dipshits.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Beastars 1

What a great start. My main worry was the visuals and the music since I already know the story is fantastic from reading the manga, but holy hell they knocked it out of the park.
The scene with the darkness at the start was visually amazing, and I love how they squeezed in some manga panels on a wall as a pseudo montage. I think my literal only nitpick so far was that Tem falling down the stairs looked awful, but that's it.
legosi's voice actor is perfect. Deep but gentle.
The soundtrack is exactly what I was hoping for, lots of jazz and piano, and man that OP sounds like a banger.
I don't want to write too much since I'm a manga reader, so I'll just mostly say I'm SUPER excited to see some of my favourite moments animated.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Aikatsu on Parade 2

I think S4 forgot there's 4 people in their group. Where's Haruka? Mahiru and Ako shine like the top idols they are. I forgot that Ako has her cat stuff in hammerspace. Good old Principal Evil still not getting any success. Poor Mio being the only one to be concerned about being trapped in another world. Remember that Stars idols are hardcore. Lots of performances, but they're cutting out the dressroom transformations, so it works out. Lots of good interactions this episode, but the highlight was the first crossover performance. Top idols Yume and Mio combine their premium dresses to show off their superpowers on stage. Exactly what I wanted to see even if it makes no sense that Mio is this coordinated on a new song. Looks like they're delivering on what matters, even if Raki is still lame.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Bookworm episode 2

So, Main invents shampoo and doesn't think it's a commercial opportunity? What? She could of have bought all the books she wanted.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
anyone got any recs for mech anime like - early - Aldnoah Zero?

i like the military nonsense and the fact that their mechs suck

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Rifle is Beautiful 01

EGysn6lXkAQL5QX

Another perfectly done cute girls into an offbeat hobby/interest. MC is a precious idiot who must be protected and the tsundere girl is already my favorite.

Vinland Saga 14

Well, that was a depressing episode that gives you a sorta eye opening that these are some cruel ass dudes.

Bokutachi S2 02

Teacher episodes are the second best ones next to Fumino ones.

Special 7 02

Samurai vampire chick better decapitate someone in a episode or I will be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.