• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Goblin Slayer 1
Well, that was far more brutal than I was expecting, especially with just what these goblins had in mind for their female captors. No wonder most end up scared for life. jfc
Guys, consider this: Goblin Slayer is literally a D&D anime. The priestess application form was literally a 5E character sheet. The "I can use it only three times" thing? Spell slots. The GM is an edgelord tho, there's no denying that. I don't know how much of the beginning is like this in the manga/novel, but I hope from ep 2 onwards it gets more normal.
Yeah, this is kind of what I got out of it too, tho it seems like the GM is not only an edgelord, but also 13. Like there's D&D brutal and then there's this.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
And the award for most inappropriate angle goes to Sword Art Online! It never fails to impress.

1W2tH6I.png

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SSSS.GRIDMAN 1

OK so I'm not in the slightest bit familiar with the old tokusatsu show this is apparently based on, but that was a pretty damn strong introductory episode. I really really like the character designs on display here, the amnesia plot made for a great initial hook, and the bizarre goings-on are certainly intriguing.

I feel like the actual kaiju fighting part is the weak link right now if anything, not because it's badly executed as such but just because there doesn't seem to be much to it. It's literally just a really big robot guy physically wrestling with the monster until it goes down. Could do with more in the way of acrobatics or flashy special attacks or cool weapons or something to make the fights more snazzy. But it's early days yet, so we'll see how it goes.

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
Gurazeni: Season 2 Ep 1
Another season of money focused baseball for me....I think the animation may have gotten slightly better this time around.

Bloom into you Ep 1
So far happy with the first episode of the adaption, generally nice direction throughout which was my general worry when looking up the director who was put onto this series.

JoJo Part 5 Ep 1
My fears of this production falling apart still ain't squashed after this ep, the detailed character designs and no break for the series are just a time bomb waiting to happen.

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara Ep 1
What I hoped for and was anticipating from this director, lets just hope he has a good grip on the eventual melodrama that will ensure in the show.

Radiant Ep 1
You can really tell the french creator of this series watched/read a lot of shounen manga/anime, hoping the girl from OP makes the show to start work. Bad VA choice for the MC's character design sounds way too young, but at least he's not a screaming 90% of the time type character.....

Goblin Slayer Ep 1
Oof.....one bright spot was the OST and how it was used for scenes.

SSSS.Gridman Ep 1
Not sure yet where I fall on this show as of this one episode, if nothing else I hope for less Kaiju CG since it was quite eh even for Anime CG standards.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Dakaretai Otoko 1-i ni Odosarete Imasu (Aka the BL one) 1

This looks.... nice? And the direction is good too?

Oh wait, nevermind. Minute 9 and he's already trying to rape the main character. You know what Japan? ... Actually you don't because I don't want to get banned.

Oct 25, 2017
SAO

so it begins.

48 eps is gonna be a grind, but still... probably gonna be done with this arc before the LN's of this arc is all brought here at the pace... There is some good stuff here from what I read so far (vol 13). bummed the fantranslation scene of the LN died... oh well.

They gonna use that OP for a while... covers many volumes lol.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
SAO Alicization 01

This was not bad. I'm pretty intrigued by the concept of this new machine. Would be a bit better though if they cut a bit from the first part of the episode, mostly in the very beginning.

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
Dakaretai Otoko 1-i ni Odosarete Imasu (Aka the BL one) 1

This looks.... nice? And the direction is good too?

Oh wait, nevermind. Minute 9 and he's already trying to rape the main character. You know what Japan? ... Actually you don't because I don't want to get banned.
It's sorta impressive how Japan only decides to adapt BL that are rape happy.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yagate Kimi ni Naru 1

What is it about yuri shows and having a student council president as the love interest? First Citrus, now this… Well, I suppose technically Nanami isn't the president yet, but she might as well be.

Thankfully, unlike Mei, this student council girl is actually incredibly likeable from the get-go. Protag girl doesn't seem to have developed any clear feelings for her just yet, but the prospect of these two finding happiness together is very appealing. I think I will enjoy this show.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Zombieland Saga 1

Was curious what direction they'd go with this. Looks like a relatively standard idol show, but the gimmick is they're zombies. Show is going for the pure wacky factor, and it was entertaining enough for that. Not amazing, but depending on how it integrates both aspects this could be fun.

Release the Spyce 1

Somehow dumber than I thought it would be. Definitely going for that Princess Principal feel, but techno instead of steampunk. Not bad, but going the more lighthearted route compared to PP didn't quite click with me, even though it may be better to go the silly route. Either way, ninja techno spy girls is worth a couple more episodes at least, and I'm especially happy to see Ripple get a new job.

Oct 25, 2017
Princess Principal's biggest problem for me is that it felt caught between the inherent goofiness of its premise and the serious drama it attempted, and ultimately was unable to strike a balance that would let me either fully enjoy the goofiness or be genuinely affected by the drama. I'm hoping Release the Spyce can be better in that regard.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Invasion of the Giant 3D Dinosaur

This was 90% boring 10% interesting. I'll give it 3 episodes I guess.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually prepared to give Crunchyroll money again if they had Index III in English.

Pacing wise they did a decent job with the first episode, even if the recap doesn't do much. I had to laugh at the fact that they added anime original scenes for Index. I guess the studio didn't want Index to be a no show for the first 6-7 episodes.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
SAO Alicization 01

Beginning was a little slow, but I like dragon riders and their battle was animated nicely.

Sketchy experimental full-dive technology that erases your memories...there's so many red flags here, but it's in character for Kirito to recklessly ignore all of them to satisfy his obsession with VR.

SSSS.Gridman 01

The slow-paced school life stuff felt detailed and lively. Kind of reminds me of similar scenes from FLCL.

My memories of the original are pretty hazy, but I feel like that kaiju wouldn't be out of place aesthetically with the old villains.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goblin Slayer 1

Jeez. I'd heard so many people talking about it that I knew basically what to expect going in, but that introductory sequence was still difficult to watch.

This is a show that knows exactly what it wants to be and is extremely effective at it, for better or for worse. I worry for that priestess's life and sanity.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Radiant 1
download.png

Nice to see some Hollows have managed to find work since Bleach ended.

Biggest issue with this episode is it feels like we're just waiting for the plot to kick off. For some reason to come along and kick off Seth's journey. When it finally does, things pick up, but only slightly.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
Gridman 1
Pretty much bang together all the clichés and see what happens. It did get better as it went along and for whatever reason I feel strangely drawn to it so far.

Goblin Slayer 1
It was just as edgelord as it sounded when it was described to me. Hopefully it gets better.

Iroduku 1
One of the stronger starts of a pretty strong season so far. The premise seems interesting so far, and the main relationship looked good off the hop.

Boarding School Juliet 1
Pretty fun romcom. Not sure it's much of a standout in a packed season but I'll stick with it for a week.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
Do I need to watch SAO 2 in order to understand Alicization? I want to watch SAO:A due to the praise but not sure if I can just jump in or not.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Release the Spyce 1

What do you get when you cross Princess Principal with Yuru Yuri? A whole lot of fun, apparently. The characters are cute, the action is flashy, and it's just an entertaining romp all round. Momo's incredible sense of smell and taste is a great gimmick, too. Hope they get a lot of mileage out of that.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Do I need to watch SAO 2 in order to understand Alicization? I want to watch SAO:A due to the praise but not sure if I can just jump in or not.

I only have cursory knowledge of SAO 2 and the GGO arc but doesn't seem necessary. There are returning characters but I've just kind of accepted it.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Goblin Slayer 01

I'm sorry, but that dude dying because his sword hits the cave walls is such a perfect "Welcome to Dark Souls" moment.

Anyway this is dumb and edgelord and kinda bad but I'll probably watch more to point and laugh.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uchi no Maid ga Uzasugiru! 1

Feels almost like the second coming of Mikakunin. Fantastic even by Dogakobo standards (praise be to their name). Misha is the cutest damn thing and exactly what I needed to fill the void left by Shio-chan.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
The whole sequence in UzaMaid where Misha sends her pet into the bathroom to secretly tape Tsubame in the bathroom shows that Doga Kobo are absolute masters of the facial expression. Misha's expressions during that scene had me LOLing the whole time.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Iroduku: The World in Colors 01

This might be my favorite episode 1 so far.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind - 1

Awwww yeahhhh this is Jojo all right.

It's been a long time since I read Part 5, and it never really stuck out as one of the more memorable Parts, so my recollections of it are a little fuzzy outside of the notable highlights. But this is hitting all the right notes already. A fantastic introduction to Giorno and Bucciarati, really selling them as characters, as well as the new Italian mafia setting.

If there's one thing that's bugging me a little, it's Bucciarati's voice - it's not bad, but I don't feel like it's the best fit for his face; I'm having a bit of trouble seeing that voice coming out of that mouth right now. But I'm sure I'll get used to it before long - heck, I remember thinking Sugita's voice was a weird fit for Joseph back when Part 2 originally started airing, and now I wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh, and I lowkey love how the show goes out of its way to establish that there's a translation convention and everyone's really speaking Italian, before immediately stomping all over that with Luca's little speech that relies on Japanese words starting with U. Classic Araki giving no fucks.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Goblin Slayer episode 1

Man this was some utterly bottom barrel edgy trash. The concept is bad the execution was worse. I've watched and read plenty hyper violent edgy seinen in my time and this was trash even in comparison to most of those.

Oct 25, 2017
gridman 1.

girl is cute. a bit disappointed that the mech/kaiju battle was cg though. Trigger please!

goblin slayer

girl is cute. Not sure how I feel about the show... but i wish the animation was a bit better?

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Goblin Slayer 01

I was hoping but not really expecting for Goblin Slayer to avoid the gratuitous and unnecessary rape.

NOPE!!!

I gotta say though they do a good job of conveying the machine-like tunnel vision that is his hatred of goblins. The CG is weirdly inconsistent when they decide to use it. It's too bad.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Finished S3 of Overlord.

That penultimate episode made me ashamed to be watching this show.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Princess Principal's biggest problem for me is that it felt caught between the inherent goofiness of its premise and the serious drama it attempted, and ultimately was unable to strike a balance that would let me either fully enjoy the goofiness or be genuinely affected by the drama. I'm hoping Release the Spyce can be better in that regard.
Outside of the obvious details like them being young girls or having distinct designs? Personally those haven't conflicted with any of the events in the show

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
yuru camp s2 yesssss

re: goblin slayer: today seemed like a fuckin terrible day to release an episode of a show that's biggest edginess factor is rape. not that there's a good day, but yeeeeeeesh.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Release the Spyce - 01

This was okay. But nothing that had me going "I really want to see more of this" so I may or may not leave it at this.

Now, with nearly all shows out my first episode ranking would probably be like this, from most liked to least liked

Awesome-tier
SSSS.Gridman: Hits all the right notes
Thunderbolt Fantasy S2: Puppets reign supreme

Very good-tier
GioGio: It's JoJo. I'm only a bit disappointed that it went back to a more normal color scheme and panel-to-panel like adaption and I hope it can keep it up.
The Girl in Twilight: Interesting concept, nice characters and insert song-action
SAO: Alicization: it looked and sounded good and the premise is interesting
Zombieland Saga: This is so ridiculous, it's great
Slime Isekai: I'm a fan of the source and this had some really good animation and creative direction, but it still suffers from too much boring exposition and hasn't really started yet
Bunny Girl Senpai: Refreshing MC and interesting premise
Index S3: Well, set up for a new arc. ...And I'm going to watch it anyway.

Decent-tier
Goblin Slayer: EDGE
Double Decker: It's decent fun, but with so many more interesting shows..
IRODUKU: The World in Colors: This is actually very good, but I'm not sure if it's my kind of genre
Radiant: Bog standard shonen fantasy adventure start. I want to see the other main party members though.
Release the Spyce: See above

Already dropped-tier
Between the Sky and Sea: How one can make such a crazy premise into something so mediocre is a talent in itself

The ones in "Decent" I expect to drop sooner and I'm also not sure about all of the "Very good" ones. We'll see how things stand after some more episodes, I guess.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Goblin Slayer gotta be the edgiest thing I've seen in a long ass time, jfc at those first 10 minutes....

Also the girl being all excited to do it all again... o k

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
The strange thing about Goblin Slayer is that it frontloads all that edginess and then it somehow turns into a jolly pen&paper party adventure by comparison.
Like everyone in that group is some standard fantasy character like acrobatic archer elf or healer priestess and then someone made a joke character whose character sheet reads like

"Origin story: Goblins killed my everything
Motivation: Kill Goblins
Dreams: All Goblins are dead
Drawbacks: Only takes Goblin quests"

Last edited:

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not sayin' people turned off by this shit should stick around, but I will say it drops off significantly over time. Probably... not for a a few more episodes in the anime, though. Can't remember how fast it happens in the manga. Also I kinda stopped keeping up with the manga so no idea if it comes back.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Those incorrect aspect ratios...
ssshhhhhh

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...-reveals-new-visual-character-designs/.137827
New Boogiepop key visual and character designs.

Has anyone here actually read the novels? Is it a supernatural action show or is it more of a mystery/dialogue driven show?

Ow yeah, finally some more info/visuals.

Goblin Slayer 01

Animation and direction being this poor in first episode don't bode well for the future, comfy jrpg comedy adventures.

SSSS Gridman

Is there like a competition for the worst CG dragon going on ? Cause you've got it in the bag show.

Sort of baffling premiere where some fun dialogue and nice shots meet with boring cliches, already comical villain and some perplexing stills and weirdly animated scenes (that some say are supposed to be an in-joke or something ?). For some reason, I also instinctively hate the Toku genre , not that I even delved much into it, and this has got it in spades so I dunno how far I'll last.

Iroduku 01

Maybe the best premiere so far, certainly the prettiest. Some of the character decisions seem pretty flimsy but nothing I can't quite roll with yet.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
SSSS Gridman
Is there like a competition for the worst CG dragon going on ? Cause you've got it in the bag show.
If you mean the look and its movement, the Kaiju is supposedly made by clay by the villain, so it looks like toy. You can even see one of its hand is not completed.

I can't disagree more with people calling this show cliché. Some characters are definitely hiding something, especially the two main girls. And I also doubt those cuts during the early dialogue scene is not intentionally done.

Feel free to drop it though. It is an original / reimagination anime so we can't imagine how the story will go.

Status
Not open for further replies.