• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Feel the Wind-1
FE1X587l.jpg
This is a really great premise and setup that is hampered by bizarre directing. So the anime introduces the two MCs and then rapidly goes and introduces the rest of the team only to then jump backwards and explain how the two characters end up in the dorm. Why? It would have either made more sense to skip the background stuff altogether, save it for later, or simply use a chronological format. It's puzzling because the show hints at Kurahara having a shady past so I thought they were going to save that for an important moment later but then they go and explain his current circumstances almost immediately. It's almost as if the director didn't have confidence in either the material or audiences to still be paying attention if the eccentric dorm members weren't introduced immediately. As a result you have a first half that is too quick in its pacing and a second half hampered by that decision.
All of that is a shame as the premise is fantastic in that the cast is made up almost entirely of unwilling participants, many of whom physically can't do the marathon right now. That's a bit different from something like Haikyuu as here the resistance to do the running will be multitudes stronger. It's going to be a full-on fight. The two primary characters also show a lot of potential with Kurahara obviously having emotional issues from some track event in his past and Kiyose's obvious frustration with being unable to run due to injury. I'm finding those two to be significantly more intriguing leads than the characters from Welcome to the Ballroom. The individuals in the dorm also seem like fun and the party when they all were interacting might be an indication of the chemistry of the group, something important in a large cast like this. The dog is max cute too.

My interest is already much higher with this than any point with Ballroom so hopefully it recaptures some of that Haikyuu magic. Also thankfully while the OP is trash, the ED is fantastic.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Slime 1
screenshot_4.png

Perhaps the most surprising aspect of this episode is that it shows the main character falling into the new world, changing in the process, and that part is actually pretty entertaining. I think most Isekai don't even bother with showing this part at all, and that's a shame, because it certainly helps the narrative here. Not to say Slime-guy here is particularly fascinating, but seeing the process by which he finds himself in his new form does at least allow the viewer to see his perspective better. I'm somewhat doubtful it'll manage to stay interesting, but we'll see.

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Slime 1:
Seemed okayish, but not sure I'll really watch it.
I vaguely recall finally dropping the web novel version around chapter 90, but can't really remember why.
If anything, it makes me sad the dragon actually looks okay(even if it's not super animated) while the dragon in the Spider Reincarnation trailer is super bad CGI.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Overlord III Episode 13

well, that was underwhelming, so much the "fight"

i really love the idea of this show, but don't understand what is happening, what the main hero is doing and is he really stuck in the game? does he never get hungry in real life? is he dead in real life?
Hes not in the game, he got transported as his avatar to another world, and hes not the first.
Also because hes no longer human but a lich, his need and morale is bot the same

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gintama 366

Oh my god, this episode is just classic gintama. I haven't been in stitches so much in forever. I'm so happy we're back to comedy for the final arc.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Sirius the Jaeger 11-12 END

On one hand this was for, the better part of its twelve eps, sort of inoffensive show. On the other; inoffensive doesn't mean interesting and this was just awfully bland in all respects until the story turned into painfully generic and even comical tripe in the end. Not sure what was the point of side cast Jaegers when they didn't even get their own batch of filler end fights ! Action was decent I guess, that's about it

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Hes not in the game, he got transported as his avatar to another world, and hes not the first.
Also because hes no longer human but a lich, his need and morale is bot the same
so he died? because he was playing the game, so it's like his brain got shocked and for reason all the data in his brain went into the game then transported to another world?

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I watched the The Unlimited Hyoubu Kyousuke. I found episode 9 exceedingly disappointing. This cliché betrayal needs to die. Why are so many incapable of writing grey characters? Do they really underestimate viewers' intelligence that much? Might as well add elaborate, curling mustachios to these characters from the onset, for all the moral ambiguity they provide us. Let them kick a few kittens as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the The Unlimited Hyoubu Kyousuke. I found episode 9 exceedingly disappointing. This cliché betrayal needs to die. Why are so many incapable of writing grey characters? Do they really underestimate viewers' intelligence that much? Might as well add elaborate, curling mustachios to these characters from the onset, for all the moral ambiguity they provide us. Let them kick a few kittens as well.
Its been so long I cant even remember what episode 9 was.

Though I still think of the anime because the eng version of LAST RESOLUTION is so good.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Its been so long I cant even remember what episode 9 was.

Though I still think of the anime because the eng version of LAST RESOLUTION is so good.
American agent completes his objective on the Catastrophe. American director bombs the ship and captures those on-board, including the little girl who creates illusions. Agent is mortified that the director went against his promises. Director shoots him when agent makes a 180 and sides with PANDRA.

Honestly, I've been enjoying this show up until now. Maybe the last few episodes will save the experience.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
so he died? because he was playing the game, so it's like his brain got shocked and for reason all the data in his brain went into the game then transported to another world?

He's not dead, he's now just a lich body.
As far as he know, his "soul" is in the new lich body, and the novel didn't expand on it.

Some other Iseikai do specifiy what happen, this one didn't.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Double Decker 1 (Dub)
Kirill is my kind of dipshit that I can't help but love

Run with the Wind 1
So I thought this was just going to be another paint-by-numbers high school sports show with cute boys, and that I'd watch a few episodes, and probably never think about it again. I don't think I could have been more wrong?

Jingai-San no Yome 1
OK, I can commit to 3 minutes a week. Wild character designs

My Hero Academia S3 End
So my brother started watching this show around the time season 2 started, and when he asked me who my favorite character was, I said "it's obviously Bakugou, but keep an eye out for this Mirio who is creeping up my list". Now, years later, Mirio has finally appeared in the show, and they did him justice. I guess I have to actually start watching the show weekly when it comes back next year now

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
The story of Bunny Girl senpai really isn't that complicated.
It's more the synopsis itself that is simply shit - barely coherent English that reads like Google Translate. (if you're talking about MAL).
I can only speak for what is probably going to be the first 4 episodes, but it's good.

From what I can gather it sounds similar to that Netflix shitshow Big Mouth at least coneptually.
From the Wikipedia-description, they're not even similar on a conceptual level.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so confused right now

subbed anime pick ups for funimation, and one of them is an aniplex title o.O
edit: both are aniplex titles, and it sounds like they won't be doing anything but licensing them. If/When there is a dub from aniplex they will be added, but they aren't dubbing them.

Oct 25, 2017

edit: both are aniplex titles, and it sounds like they won't be doing anything but licensing them. If/When there is a dub from aniplex they will be added, but they aren't dubbing them.

aniplex getting as much money from streaming deals as possible.

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
High Score Girl 11-12 - END

filled to the brim with nostalgia and video game references, but somehow it's really fucking good and heartfelt? a miracle. 9/10

praying that the BDs sell well and that it magically takes off in the west when it's released from netflix jail, so that the rest of the manga can be adopted after the OVAs. please.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
aniplex getting as much money from streaming deals as possible.
I mean yeah... but it's still really weird that funimation would pick it up lol.

I am curious how long the sword art dub will take though, I wouldn't be surprised if the dub for that starts coming out early next year right after it airs on toonami, though at the same time I kind of would have expected toonami to bring back SAO already airing the first 2 seasons before the new one.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017

They're coming to CR too.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Sora to Umi no Aida 01

The first garbage anime of the season has arrived. Starts out fine, and then you get dickbags whining about affirmative action, while everyone uses their smartphone to roll the gatcha for gods so they can catch space fish and fight giant enemy crabs. I'm not joking about that last part.

Akanesasu Shoujo 01

Neat premise, but I somehow get the feeling its gonna end in disappointment. The MC is extremely cute if nothing else.

Last edited:

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Star Driver 5

The episode had a pretty stupid premise and I was ready for everything, but it still caught me off guard. Nurse's the worst.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
They're coming to CR too.
crunchy is less confusing. Crunchy does subs all the time.

only shows on funi that get released with subs anymore are the long running ones (or sequels to the long running ones)
it's been a really long time since funi has picked up any shows from a new season to stream subtittled that they didn't work on in the past o.o

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Overlord S3 - 13 (End)

That 'duel' sure was anti-climactic - kinda fitting though. The 'aftermath' was hilariously twisted though.
Season 4 pls.

Double Deckers - 02

Still fun.

The Girl in Twilight - 01

This wasn't even on my "Plan to Watch"-list, but I accidentally read that the concept is by Uchikoshi (Zero Escape) so I was intrigued and watched the first episode.
...It's on my watchlist now. :/
RIP me, this season is bonkers.
Not sure if it will hold up, but sure has enough things I like.
Interesting premise, good character chemistry, an insert song right away and a bunch of other things.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sora to Umi no Aida 1

I don't think a premise has ever done such an effective job of alienating me immediately. Humanity expanding to outer space for the sole purpose of…fishing? Fish is disgusting! A world without fish to eat sounds like an improvement!!

But wait, the ridiculousness doesn't stop there! The show wears its gacha origins on its sleeve without even attempting to justify any of it - there are just inexplicably gacha deities that the characters summon into their phones to give their space fishing mechs RPG weapons to fight fish with! Okay. I know weirdness is nothing new in anime, and can even be a positive if it makes a show quirky and unique, but this…this is just stupid.

I'd be lying if I said this first episode was completely unappealing - the girls are cute enough, the concept is certainly unique, and it has enough lively energy to its antics that I'm almost tempted to give it another week, but…no. I think I need to just drop this one right here and be done with it.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Bunny Girl Senpai - 01

Yup, this was good. Azusagawa is such a refreshing protagonist. His deadpan remarks are great. (Some of them are a bit too crass though).
Clearly you haven't read Light Novels, Light Novel protagonist.
Channeling his inner MetroidPrimeRib

Also if you want to watch this for Bunny Girls then I guess you can watch the first 4 minutes and move on because that's the only time a bunny girl costume is going to exist in the entire show, good job Light Novel titles.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Rascal does not dream of Bunny Girl Senpai 01

hey it's pretty interesting, the adolescence sydrome is an intriguing concept that could make the show.

some statements of the mc rubbed me off the wrong way but i think i can get past that.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seishun Buta-yarou wa Bunny Girl-senpai no Yume wo Minai

is way too long and awkward a title even by light novel standards so I'm just going to use the official abbreviation

AoButa 1

I could've sworn I read somewhere that this show's premise had something to do with the protagonist hallucinating the girl being in a bunny girl outfit when she isn't actually wearing a bunny girl outfit. But either a) I'm remembering wrong, b) this first episode was incredibly misleading, or c) whatever I read was just an outright lie, because the actual premise here seems wildly different from and way more interesting than that.

The idea of gradually disappearing from everyone's sight and/or memories isn't an entirely new one (I'm getting slight flashbacks to Clannad now), but there's something compelling about the very matter-of-fact way it's depicted here in an otherwise down-to-earth setting. Though apparently this isn't the only supernatural occurrence going on here, which makes things potentially more interesting still.

I'm not sure what to expect from the show going forward - is it actually going to try to hone in on whatever's causing these strange supernatural phenomena, or is it just going to focus on the personal socio-psychological issues that seem to be triggering them? And are we going to stick to focusing on the main characters introduced here, or is it going to branch out into a variety of other characters suffering from supernatural ailments? Whatever the case, it's caught my interest enough that I'm probably going to stick with it for the time being.

CheapJuice

Oct 26, 2017
Bunny Girl Senpai - 01

Getting Oregairu vibes from the interactions between the two main characters.
Huh, seems like the author did the script for Just Because.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
some more dub announcements

it's nice to see sumo is getting dubbed.
Conception exists I guess.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RErideD: Tokigoe no Derrida 1

...I have a lot of questions.

But the most important one is: why doesn't the anagram in the title work?! It seems obvious that "RErideD" is supposed to be an anagram of "Derrida", but it doesn't quite work because one of the "e"s turns into an "a"! What's up with that?!

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slime 1:
Seemed okayish, but not sure I'll really watch it.
I vaguely recall finally dropping the web novel version around chapter 90, but can't really remember why.
If anything, it makes me sad the dragon actually looks okay(even if it's not super animated) while the dragon in the Spider Reincarnation trailer is super bad CGI.

I mean, every series in Japan since the establishment of entertainment media is otaku. lol

Seishun Buta-yarou wa Bunny Girl-senpai no Yume wo Minai

is way too long and awkward a title even by light novel standards so I'm just going to use the official abbreviation

AoButa 1

I could've sworn I read somewhere that this show's premise had something to do with the protagonist hallucinating the girl being in a bunny girl outfit when she isn't actually wearing a bunny girl outfit. But either a) I'm remembering wrong, b) this first episode was incredibly misleading, or c) whatever I read was just an outright lie, because the actual premise here seems wildly different from and way more interesting than that.

The idea of gradually disappearing from everyone's sight and/or memories isn't an entirely new one (I'm getting slight flashbacks to Clannad now), but there's something compelling about the very matter-of-fact way it's depicted here in an otherwise down-to-earth setting. Though apparently this isn't the only supernatural occurrence going on here, which makes things potentially more interesting still.

I'm not sure what to expect from the show going forward - is it actually going to try to hone in on whatever's causing these strange supernatural phenomena, or is it just going to focus on the personal socio-psychological issues that seem to be triggering them? And are we going to stick to focusing on the main characters introduced here, or is it going to branch out into a variety of other characters suffering from supernatural ailments? Whatever the case, it's caught my interest enough that I'm probably going to stick with it for the time being.

You're not remembering wrong. The synopsis is terrible about what the LN and anime actually is.

Also, to give it a vision, the author of the LN which is where that was adapted is the same of Sakurasou Pet na Kanojo and the scriptwriter of Just Because.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Sirius END

Fairly standard ending. I guess the anime itself was a decent way to pass time since yay, anime original, but also kinda of a dud. Characters were underdeveloped (With the exception of Yuliy, Williard and Mikhail, I guess) and several plot points that seemed important end up being totally irrelevant or going nowhere.

Also for some reason they decided this was a good design for the final boss:

And don't get me started on the ham-fisted poorly written message about racism they attempted in the ending with the #notallvampires stuff.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Overlord 3 END

So much wasted time in this show its ridiculous. Feels like you have to watch 4 episodes to have 1 minor thing happen. 90% of the cast doesn't actually do anything. Like did anything that happened last season actually have any meaning whatsoever to the events in this one? It's more like a bunch of completely disparate random scenarios that they've cobbled together to make a season. Who cares about some random adventurers who get killed anyway? How does that in any way move the story forward? But we still have to blow several episodes of the few we have the waste time following them. The entire thing is a semi decent idea stretched beyond all imagination.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
That puts Funimation at 17 which is normally around what they do each season. I think technically they can do 18 dubs in-house each season. Curious that nothing has been said about Index S3 yet.
Index might be one that is taking some time to figure out if they can do due to voice actor conflicts? I haven't compared who is in the show vs who actually normally works at funimation still, but they do typically try to get the voice actors back, and that very well could push it out of simuldub territory.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Index might be one that is taking some time to figure out if they can do due to voice actor conflicts? I haven't compared who is in the show vs who actually normally works at funimation still, but they do typically try to get the voice actors back, and that very well could push it out of simuldub territory.

I want to say all of the principal cast was comprised of Texas residents. I don't think they got any LA voice actors in leads like they do with Attack on Titan and Fairy Tail.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I know this is a little off-topic, but I'm keep seeing a "loading tweet" via embed. However, when inserted in quotation, the tweet's back to normal.

I think maybe mods should check out that minor bug from embed format.

Status
Not open for further replies.