• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which was changed in development from her being a fixed couple with Seliph and with most outside media that was overseen by Intellient Systems still using them as the base couple for the 2nd Generation

Yeah the Mitsuki Oosawa manga, which straight up rewrote Eldigan's wife into a bitchy shrew so she could ship him with his sister. It was a weird time but that doesn't reflect on the game itself.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Julia and she was also specfically designed as the love interest for her half brother and cousin Seliph as well

Plus even if they weren't fixed alot of the systems in Genealogy encouraged incest for alot of characters as characters with "major" blood were just inherently better than those without them
Oh right forgot her. She's also a character from tragic, messed up circumstance and you have to exploit a glitch to pair her with Seliph soooooo
Originally, Sigurd and Deirdre were supposed to be half-siblings (both children of Vylon), Seliph and Julia ended canonically as lovers (halfway through the second gen), and Ares was the son of Eldigan and Lachesis. Nintendo had to step in and tell Kaga to tone that shit down.

Calvertutrp

Dec 4, 2020
Yeah the Mitsuki Oosawa manga, which straight up rewrote Eldigan's wife into a bitchy shrew so she could ship him with his sister. It was a weird time but that doesn't reflect on the game itself.
I mean the implications for alot of the incest exist in the actual game and were forcibly toned down by outside hand, like its cool if you like it but it is very much creepy anime bullshit

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Originally, Sigurd and Deirdre were supposed to be half-siblings (both children of Vylon), Seliph and Julia ended canonically as lovers (halfway through the second gen), and Ares was the son of Eldigan and Lachesis. Nintendo had to step in and tell Kaga to tone that shit down.

I mean the implications for alot of the incest exist in the actual game and were forcibly toned down by outside hand, like its cool if you like it but it is very much creepy anime bullshit

I mean it doesn't, because none of it was in the game. I'm not saying this isn't creepy anime bullshit I'm saying it was nipped in the bud by people who I am very, very glad got in Kaga's way.

Well there's Lachesis in her last dialogue with her husband in Belhalla. So that's one.

Calvertutrp

Dec 4, 2020
I mean it doesn't, because none of it was in the game. I'm not saying this isn't creepy anime bullshit I'm saying it was nipped in the bud by people who I am very, very glad got in Kaga's way.

Well there's Lachesis in her last dialogue with her husband in Belhalla. So that's one.
I mean but it is though, its not as overt but it still very much exists in game and is still very much encouraged

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean but it is though, its not as overt but it still very much exists in game and is still very much encouraged

Does it count as encouraged when the only way to achieve it is to exploit an oversight in the game's code?

IDK maybe the fan translation I played was the one that took out all the incest undertones.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Does it count as encouraged when the only way to achieve it is to exploit an oversight in the game's code?

IDK maybe the fan translation I played was the one that took out all the incest undertones.
A fan translation that doesn't play up the incest?!

Such a thing does not exist. :P

In all seriousness though, incest exists in the final version of FE4, but the actual canon acts of it are considered heinous in-game and lead to awful things.

Calvertutrp

Dec 4, 2020

I mean even the optional incest in the 1st generation is encouraged because characters in the 2nd gen with major blood are just inherently better units than those without, the actual gameplay systems of the game reward the optional incest

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean even the optional incest in the 1st generation is encouraged because characters in the 2nd gen with major blood are just inherently better units than those without, the actual gameplay systems of the game reward the optional incest

With what characters?

I think there are some cousins who can hook up in the second gen (like there's Ayra's daughter and both the brothers plus Shannan) but even if that weirds me out I also understand Japan has a different view on that.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
With what characters?

I think there are some cousins who can hook up in the second gen (like there's Ayra's daughter and both the brothers plus Shannan) but even if that weirds me out I also understand Japan has a different view on that.
Claude and Sylvia are heavily implied to be siblings. This is never fully confirmed (Neither in-game nor in dev interviews) but it's quite implied through an optional convo.

EDIT: They have the same Holy Blood, too.

Last edited:

Calvertutrp

Dec 4, 2020
With what characters?

Only one I remember right off the top of my head was Chuulain and Ayra who are "distant" relatives but have the same holy blood

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I lowkey blame Dunkey for this. I mean he's not a big part of it or even the main person who caused it, but he consistently covers anime games/JRPGs despite not liking them.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
people need to get better at ignoring things they don't like or are not interested in.

while my main machines are Nintendo consoles, there's a bunch of games they make i don't like but i don't go around telling everyone i hate all the games i don't intend to buy.
if they hate anime games, fine. everyone's got a different opinion but those people being insufferable in direct conversations because a game they don't like got revealed is one reason i don't engage in any sort of nintendo discussion around most places during Directs.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I lowkey blame Dunkey for this. I mean he's not a big part of it or even the main person who caused it, but he consistently covers anime games/JRPGs despite not liking them.
Eh, there's no single source of it. Giant Bomb's forums loved parroting "Anime is for jerks" because Gerstmann said that on stream as a joke once, many, many years ago.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Anime has changed between now and then. Now it's full of waifu/loli bait since that's what sells apparently.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Otaku Bait anime has existed since the 80's, the truth is we just know more about them in america because how accessible the medium has been and opened up in the last decade
Yeah. It used to be the case that only a relative few titles were ever picked up by North American publishers for distribution. Now, with streaming services and simulcasts, we know as much about the low-tier titles as the Japanese do the minute they start airing.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Fire Emblem gotta be the weird one. Once the series hit the 3ds first entry got way more in-depth with its pandering stuff. Not a ton but there were definitely more questionable things then the last new entry. Ends up being a wild success and puts the series in a good spot for the first time in Uber a decade. Which leads to the second 3ds game and that one goes full anime pandering. Even finding a way to messily shove in the marriage/child system from the last game. Even though it didn't fit into Fates at all.

Then we got Three Houses and the game just kinda showed up and went "alright done with that now". Which ended up reigning in a lot of the more out of control troupes that the previous two games were running rampant with.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem gotta be the weird one. Once the series hit the 3ds first entry got way more in-depth with its pandering stuff. Not a ton but there were definitely more questionable things then the last new entry. Ends up being a wild success and puts the series in a good spot for the first time in Uber a decade. Which leads to the second 3ds game and that one goes full anime pandering. Even finding a way to messily shove in the marriage/child system from the last game. Even though it didn't fit into Fates at all.

Then we got Three Houses and the game just kinda showed up and went "alright done with that now". Which ended up reigning in a lot of the more out of control troupes that the previous two games were running rampant with.
I think you forgot Shadows of Valentia exists.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Who cares what certain fans think. Live and let live, if they are bitter it is their problem.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

I suspect they just decided to pour all the pandering into Heroes as a mobile gacha game was a 'better' fit for it. Pleased that TH rallied and moved away from it, apart from Kronye's design which is then so different in tone from the others that it's like it's been teleported in from a different game.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I simply do not care for the, let's say, "anime aesthetic." I know people will sometimes be like "mario and zelda are technically anime!" or whatever, but like, you know what I mean. Your Fire Emblems, your Xenoblades, etc. I don't like it. And even more specifically, JRPGs are like the ONE genre of game that I just cannot stand and don't play. I don't like it!

Other people do, of course. And that's great for them. But it's definitely been frustrating for me personally, because over the last 10 years or so this style of game has undeniably taken up a waaaaay bigger portion of the stuff Nintendo is putting out. And I'm not even getting into the Smash roster but yeah I'm never thrilled over those announcements lol.

It's partially just a weird personal quirk of mine I guess, but it was definitely influenced by my prime childhood gaming years being the N64, which was like by far the LEAST anime/LEAST JRPG-y era in Nintendo's history. Gimme them western collectathon platformers and nothing else tbh <3.

"People can like what they like," yes. I like what I like and I dislike what I dislike.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
the worst thing is all these games just recycle the same tropes over and over

Do people not get bored seeing the same jokes and skits every game?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The term Nintendo fans doesnt mean alot considering how broad and a large of audience we are talking about.
Not everyone will or has to like the same things.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Berserk is exactly the kind of manganime this forum hates (art style aside) so... i'll ask: Did you EVER read Berserk?

Also, current anime means having Horimiya animated. Horimiya is life

If anime kept on stagnating and stayed like the 90s we wouldn't get an anime adaption like Horimiya.

I'm all for variety. Also yes I agree with your Horimiya take

Jun 2, 2019
If anime kept on stagnating and stayed like the 90s we wouldn't get an anime adaption like Horimiya.

I'm all for variety. Also yes I agree with your Horimiya take

That's where i stand, too. Sure, there's a lot of shit, but there's always been a lot of shit, now it's just more obvious because internet gives us access to more manganime than ever.

But the trash you could access to through piracy and fansub circles before Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya made anime mainstream in my country... Hooooooooooo boy

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I simply do not care for the, let's say, "anime aesthetic." I know people will sometimes be like "mario and zelda are technically anime!" or whatever, but like, you know what I mean. Your Fire Emblems, your Xenoblades, etc. I don't like it. And even more specifically, JRPGs are like the ONE genre of game that I just cannot stand and don't play. I don't like it!

Other people do, of course. And that's great for them. But it's definitely been frustrating for me personally, because over the last 10 years or so this style of game has undeniably taken up a waaaaay bigger portion of the stuff Nintendo is putting out. And I'm not even getting into the Smash roster but yeah I'm never thrilled over those announcements lol.

It's partially just a weird personal quirk of mine I guess, but it was definitely influenced by my prime childhood gaming years being the N64, which was like by far the LEAST anime/LEAST JRPG-y era in Nintendo's history. Gimme them western collectathon platformers and nothing else tbh <3.

"People can like what they like," yes. I like what I like and I dislike what I dislike.
This is a healthy attitude. You realise it's a quirk of your own tasters (something we all have) and you're not saying anime games are bad, you're just saying they're not for you.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
I suspect they just decided to pour all the pandering into Heroes as a mobile gacha game was a 'better' fit for it. Pleased that TH rallied and moved away from it, apart from Kronye's design which is then so different in tone from the others that it's like it's been teleported in from a different game.
Kronya is such a bizarre design choice. She looks straight out of a Sailor Moon "Monster of the Week" character design.

Even her quick, unceremonious death is reminiscence of the concept.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

You can answer this yourself. Are there any genres of games, films, TV series or books you like to consume? They are full of tropes and recurring themes too, that's part of what makes them a genre. As if anime and anime games are the only media with tropes and recurring themes... ;)

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

You can answer this yourself. Are there any genres of games, films, TV series or books you like to consume? They are full of tropes and recurring themes too, that's part of what makes them a genre. As if anime and anime games are the only media with tropes and recurring themes... ;)
Glad you mentioned this as I was about to.

I think it is very unlikely that Japanese have some inherent cultural defect that make them use the same tropes over and over, and rather that every culture does this and people notice it more frequently when they consume non-native media.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
For some reason there are people who think it's cool or edgy (or something along those lines) to hate on "anime".

Probably has to do with "maturity" and "cartoons are for kids" and other stupidities.

Whatever, haters gonna hate.

Jun 2, 2019

This is perfectly fine, i disagree with your notion of anime (Anything animated from Japan, from Ghibli stuff to, let's say, Cowboy Bebop, is anime) but aside of that i find your attitude quite healthy. Enjoy and let enjoy.

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It's gonna blow your mind when I tell you that I'm a Nintendo fan that doesn't care about Mario games.

Or that I'm a Final Fantasy fan that doesn't like Nomura games.

Or that I'm a rock fan that doesn't like post-grunge.

Being a fan of something doesn't mean you have to like everything under that particular umbrella. It doesn't even mean that you can't have exceptions. If you're a Nintendo fan that doesn't like "anime games," that doesn't mean you can't love Fire Emblem or Pokemon.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
As someone not too fond of anime it's not even the style and/or art I dislike. If it's well drawn and animated like in many Studio Gibli films I'm all in. They look fantastic! Last game's art I really loved was Doraemon Story of Seasons. The upcoming Story of Seasons Pioneer thing looks atrocious, though.

Personally, I dislike and almost hate anime tropes, though. And characterization and behaviour and dialogue of most anime characters and especially the portrayal of female characters in general.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
As someone not too fond of anime it's not even the style and/or art I dislike. If it's well drawn and animated like in many Studio Gibli films I'm all in. They look fantastic! Last game's art I really loved was Doraemon Story of Seasons. The upcoming Story of Seasons Pioneer thing looks atrocious, though.

Personally, I dislike and almost hate anime tropes, though. And characterization and behaviour and dialogue of most anime characters and especially the portrayal of female characters in general.

Same here. I really love Ghibli's style and most of the other usual suspects for people with my really surface-level tastes like Akira, Cowboy Bebop and Dragon Ball; but once it gets into the widespread tropes of what most people consider actual anime I'm just extremely put off by the whole thing both stylistically and thematically. It's something I have never been able to get over, and I've given games like Persona or Catherine an honest shot only to eventually fall off in some part due to this.

I'm open to keep trying if there's something that catches my eye, though. Even something like Persona 5 which is extremely anime in most ways has some stuff I've seen and like a lot visually around the edges, but I haven't played it yet so who knows.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The term Nintendo fans doesnt mean alot considering how broad and a large of audience we are talking about.
Not everyone will or has to like the same things.
Yeah, indeed.

I may be a Nintendo fan as I've owned a lot of their hardwares since childhood, but I never touch Mario, Kirby, and those other cutesy games, even Smash. I barely played Zelda games either, and I've only played a few Pokemon games. Maybe I'm not actually a fan I guess, I dunno.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if even the more mainstream games with that art style hadn't spent years and years embarassing themselves with things like bathhouse scenes, body measurements, 1000 year old dragons and other types of age play, maid outfits, boob socks, panty shots, voice acting that sounds like characters having an orgasm, etc. it would have a better general reputation. Maybe.

I'm cool with games being horny, but I prefer it when it's relegated to games designed for that instead of having this constant subcurrent of extreme horniness in games that want to be taken seriously, e.g. the classic XB2 problem.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
Maybe if even the more mainstream games with that art style hadn't spent years and years embarassing themselves with things like bathhouse scenes, body measurements, 1000 year old dragons, maid outfits, boob socks, panty shots, voice acting that sounds like characters having an orgasm, etc. it would have a better general reputation. Maybe.

I'm cool with games being horny, but I prefer it when it's relegated to games designed for that. Not everywhere and constantly.

Blame that on the developers, not on the art style itself.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
This is perfectly fine, i disagree with your notion of anime (Anything animated from Japan, from Ghibli stuff to, let's say, Cowboy Bebop, is anime) but aside of that i find your attitude quite healthy. Enjoy and let enjoy.

What is your definition of anime? I've never seen anyone who can't at least agree that anything from Ghibli to Cowboy Bebop is anime. Anything within that bracket shares a similar set of animation techniques and tools used. Both Ghibli and Bebop also are very influential in the medium and serve as inspirations for works within it.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Blame that on the developers, not on the art style itself.

Of course. But the correlation is uncanny, and I can see how someone would build the association in their mind. I also feel like part of it is the developers designing to audience expectations at this point. A fanservice ouroboros.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
What is your definition of anime? I've never seen anyone who can't at least agree that anything from Ghibli to Cowboy Bebop is anime. Anything within that bracket shares a similar set of animation techniques and tools used. Both Ghibli and Bebop also are very influential in the medium and serve as inspirations for works within it.

My definition of anime is anything from japan, plain and simple, it has no art style whatsoever.

Of course. But the correlation is uncanny, and I can see how one would build the association in their mind.

You're not wrong, but western has had itw own set of problematic tropes since forever, and you don't see people pointing at western art style at large.

The difference comes from the fact that western developers and animators are finally reacting, japan is beomg slower in that regard

Calvertutrp

Dec 4, 2020
If people think Anime has a few tropes it uses over and over wait until they see The Marvel Cinematic Universe baby