• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Are some of you guys serious comparing Ed to Pyra?

Like even if you want to argue, Ed's outfit is a normal outfit teens like her could wear depending on how hot the weather is. It is nowhere near as pathetic as the trashy strings belts rag collection Pyra wears.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
But in blushy crushy tora is taking advantage of pyra and poppi's ingenuity... and Nia is there to point out it's bad... I still haven't heard one good reason why it's a problem besides being unnecessary but even then it's an optional scene

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You see what I mean? Why is it in an year like 2018, the anime brought up as the high standard for "modern anime" to be put up against an all time classic like Cowboy Bebop is fucking Master of Ragnarok? "All modern anime is trash as long as I ignore everything that isn't", I guess. You yourself fought against the idea of revisionist history acting like there wasn't a huge amount of trash back then too in this thread, but you kind of do the same here. If our point of comparison is Cowboy Bebop, we should at the very least try to choose works we believe will stand the test of time, instead of forgotten before the season ends.

I wasn't comparing them in quality, I was saying that I think there's a difference between Cowboy Bebop having a character like Faye versus a show like MoR's treatment of female characters, which is something that kind of bounds around in like-minded works.

I did say as much that old anime had just as much trashy, exploitative work, and time just filtered it out. Bringing up Master of Ragnarok wasn't to say it was What Anime Is Now versus the Chad Anime of Yesteryear.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Truth be told, I'm surprised at how the reactions to Xenoblade 2's character designs aren't worse here. I'm not a fan at all, but the game mechanically is actually quite good. I won't however recommend the game to anyone who isn't already completely desensitized to oversexualized anime female characters and tropes.

The original, however, by all means, great game. There's a fine line between being approachable anime, and being repulsive/cringe anime or ecchi whatever you want to call it. Sure, it varies among people, but I'm sure most would agree that over-sexualization/pervy/fan service-related tropes in anime are where they draw the line. Not saying all anime is like either. As a casual fan of the medium, it's all about the demographic they want to appeal to.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But in blushy crushy tora is taking advantage of pyra and poppi's ingenuity... and Nia is there to point out it's bad... I still haven't heard one good reason why it's a problem besides being unnecessary but even then it's an optional scene

Tora the horny rabbit with a maid fetish and little girl maid robot.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always find this funny because the people who complain about anime are sometimes the sames that droll over Samus orZelda's artsyle and they are pretty anime too.

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't comparing them in quality, I was saying that I think there's a difference between Cowboy Bebop having a character like Faye versus a show like MoR's treatment of female characters, which is something that kind of bounds around in like-minded works.

I did say as much that old anime had just as much trashy, exploitative work, and time just filtered it out. Bringing up Master of Ragnarok wasn't to say it was What Anime Was Now versus the Chad Anime of Yesteryear.
Fair enough, my bad for misinterpreting your point.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I think there's term for over the top anime transformations or attacks pretty sure it's "anime bullshit" and its not only used to criticize otaku bait games but things like this

or this
ShallowGraveFruitfly-size_restricted.gif

or these

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

I did say as much that old anime had just as much trashy, exploitative work, and time just filtered it out. Bringing up Master of Ragnarok wasn't to say it was What Anime Is Now versus the Chad Anime of Yesteryear.
For the sake of a better argument, you should probably cite anime people actually do think is good (and not obvious trash Master of Ragnarok) and also avoid mistakes like confusing Sweetness and Lightning with Usagi Drop. :P

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
People shit on XC2 but the main cast is perfectly fine besides Pyra.
Mythra and Brighid are sexy but still tasteful, Nia and Morag are fully covered, Pandoria is passable, Patroka has normal clothes I THINK.

Also don't tell people Zelda and Pokémon are anime lol
This... has to be a joke, right?

Lmao, Mythra as in the same Mythra who will constantly panty shot you during her actiony cutscenes unless you put her in the DLC outfit, is "tasteful"?? And let's not pretend Nia doesn't get done absolutely disgustingly dirty later on. Pandoria unnecessarily has her shirt open so her bra hangs out, and Patroka literally isn't wearing any pants despite all of her male colleagues being covered head to toe excluding their faces.

Brighid I could personally excuse if she was the one token sexy design, but as it is she's just another example on a pile of 840324903 other hyper sexualized designs.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the sake of a better argument, you should probably cite anime people actually do think is good (and not obvious trash Master of Ragnarok) and also avoid mistakes like confusing Sweetness and Lightning with Usagi Drop. :P

I will reiterate that I was, specifically, trying to argue against the idea that Cowboy Bebop is as bad as the kind of anime that gets the "trash otaku pandering" complaints, using a show like Ragnarok that exemplifies those qualities in full.

If I mentioned a good modern anime like, say, Zombieland Saga and Mob Psycho 100, I obviously would not bring it up as lacking compared to Bebop, since the kind of anime I like tends to avoid those obnoxious tropes to begin with.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
Anime is a loanword from English. It just means animation - cartoons.
Almost every single Nintendo property has a cartoony (read: anime) artystyle. Getting upset that Nintendo, a Japanese company, is adding too many characters whose designs are influenced by Japanese cartoons into their cartoon fighting game is absurd.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This... has to be a joke, right?

Lmao, Mythra as in the same Mythra who will constantly panty shot you during her actiony cutscenes unless you put her in the DLC outfit, is "tasteful"?? And let's not pretend Nia doesn't get done absolutely disgustingly dirty later on. Pandoria unnecessarily has her shirt open so her bra hangs out, and Patroka literally isn't wearing any pants despite all of her male colleagues being covered head to toe excluding their faces.

Brighid I could personally excuse if she was the one token sexy design, but as it is she's just another example on a pile of 840324903 other hyper sexualized designs.
Nia looks different for like 4 scenes total, Patroka I admittedly don't remember, Pandoria mirrors Zeke, and I wasn't considering the camera because that's a whole separate issue, which I can actually agree was an issue. But the main cast isn't so terrible imo

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I will reiterate that I was, specifically, trying to argue against the idea that Cowboy Bebop is as bad as the kind of anime that gets the "trash otaku pandering" complaints, using a show like Ragnarok that exemplifies those qualities in full.

If I mentioned a good modern anime like, say, Zombieland Saga and Mob Psycho 100, I obviously would not bring it up as lacking compared to Bebop, since the kind of anime I like tends to avoid those obnoxious tropes to begin with.
i mean you could used something like slime and shion though that might get people uspet after todays episode

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Eh, I like cartoony and anime styles. If I had to compare, I'm much less of a fan of the generic realistic CGI style, which is so prevalent in Western games these days.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They lost me when they said Berserk

when that show has female characters in either boob armor or see thru wet clothes

oh don't get me started with multiple rape scenes one even involves a farnese naked almost getting raped by a demon horse

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, fair.

Still, I think it would have been better to compare Cowboy Bebop in that aspect to other anime if its era instead of pulling a random garbage anime from three years ago out of a hat.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They lost me when they said Berserk

when that show has female characters in either boob armor or see thru wet clothes

oh don't get me started with multiple rape scenes one even involves a farnese naked almost getting raped by a demon horse

I will, again, for the second time, clarify that I was talking about Berserk's detailed artstyle, and not its actual story content, because it was part of a broader point of "what Westerners have come to define as the typical 'anime' look isn't viewed as favourably as specific points like the work of Naoki Urasawa."

Ah, fair.

Still, I think it would have been better to compare Cowboy Bebop in that aspect to other anime if its era instead of pulling a random garbage anime from three years ago out of a hat.

I can't think of any off the top of my head because the march of time that's aging my bones to dust has boiled the entirety of 90s anime down to Irresponsible Captain Tylor for me.

I'm sure it exists.

Drwu

Aug 23, 2018
I'm remarkably picky when it comes to anime esthetics in games. Certain designs are an immediate road block for me. Same with some tropes. Just absolutely hard out when they show up. Xenoblade 2 falls squarely with in that. Like it's supposed to be really good. But i can't the stand of the look of the characters. If i gotta spend a hundred hours looking at a character, you hope the designs would have a little less anime bullshit

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of any off the top of my head because the march of time that's aging my bones to dust has boiled the entirety of 90s anime down to Irresponsible Captain Tylor for me.

I'm sure it exists.
Though that exemplifies the point others are making in that, given time, the only titles from today people will remember twenty years from now are the ones that become classics. Some things will be remembered for being notoriously awful, but in twenty years, all of the crap isekai LN adaptations of today will be forgotten.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
The medium would be better if more shows looked like Ai-Mai-Mi.

This kind of thing is exactly the problem. If more shows looked like
I will, again, for the second time, clarify that I was talking about Berserk's detailed artstyle, and not its actual story content, because it was part of a broader point of "what Westerners have come to define as the typical 'anime' look isn't viewed as favourably as specific points like the work of Naoki Urasawa."

The opinion of people in the West who don't really watch anime shouldn't really matter.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Though that exemplifies the point others are making in that, given time, the only titles from today people will remember twenty years from now are the ones that become classics. Some things will be remembered for being notoriously awful, but in twenty years, all of the crap isekai LN adaptations of today will be forgotten.

Yeah exactly, which is what I said in that earlier post above and stated earlier in the thread, vs. the other, separate discussion I was having regarding Cowboy Bebop being on the exact same level as crap isekai LN adaptations because Faye is drawn in provocative clothing.

Like, you are saying the things I already said. We are on the same side on this.

This kind of thing is exactly the problem. If more shows looked like

The opinion of people in the West who don't really watch anime shouldn't really matter.

You'd think so but we're in a thread predicated on the idea that they do, for some reason.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017

My goodness.

It almost feels like jrpg's to a large extent (at least since the ps2 era) were meant to cater to primarily 12-16 year olds, but then picked up an unexpected audience, and the developers just went with it. Not unlike what happened with MLP. Xenoblade seems like it caters more towards the lower end of that age bracket, while the edginess of Final Fantasy is more in line with the upper.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Give me one, then, let's see if it beats Sonic kissing a human. Kingdom Hearts III didn't, that game is actually worse than that cutscene.

LOL

This is what a story cutscene looks like in Xenoblade 2(this example is from Torna):

The earliest example is more like a skit from Tales, a voiced dialogue scene(and an optional one at that). The games tend to have a hard split between un-voiced dialogue, voiced dialogue and full cutscenes for budget reasons.

Oct 25, 2017
okay

this is the other scene that gets critisized alot

This seems a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle better than Kingdom Hearts. Very little. Perhaps worse in voice acting, but the cutscene direction has at least some more exciting imagery every now and then.

The vistas in this game seem to be amazing, and I can see the combat system maybe being interesting, but God it's hard to watch the characters doing story things. It's literally Nintendo's Kingdom Hearts.

LOL

This is what a story cutscene looks like in Xenoblade 2(this example is from Torna):

The earliest example is more like a skit from Tales, a voiced dialogue scene(and an optional one at that). The games tend to have a hard split between un-voiced dialogue, voiced dialogue and full cutscenes for budget reasons.

Ok, this is actually decent. Redo all of the voice acting and it may actually be good.

Not nearly enough "cutting to everyone's faces so they can react to the slightest thing" to be Kingdom Hearts-tier. This beats Sonic kissing a woman.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
This seems a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle better than Kingdom Hearts. Very little. Perhaps worse in voice acting, but the cutscene direction has at least some more exciting imagery every now and then.

The vistas in this game seem to be amazing, and I can see the combat system maybe being interesting, but God it's hard to watch the characters doing story things. It's literally Nintendo's Kingdom Hearts.
the funny thing about that scene it's meant to be a parody

Oct 27, 2017

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tired Detective Anime Dad in P4 is good

back then they gave xbox the sad dad and Sony the anime

How times change!

It was funny that you play as bro nier in the dlc, but iirc they don't identify him at all

IIRC how it's contextualized in the NieR DLC is that Brother Nier is "Young Nier", or Papa Nier as he was at that age.

I think Replicant also uses Papa Nier's model for the DLC, but I never confirmed that.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's an option? Shit, now we're talking.
Yeah audio language can be set separately
I played XC1 in English once for the memes, it was fun but then I set voices to Japanese and never looked back ever since. I didn't even bother with the English dub on this one and clips on the internet of it definitely did not make me regret that choice

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that caring about what others like or don't like is a monumental waste of everyone's time *shrug*

Yeah like, if I was a Xenoblade 2 fan and saw everyone going "nooo I hate this, it sucks*" I'd just be all "cool story but it sold well so I'm happy, I'm just gonna keep playing."

*The only part where I don't think this is up for debate or the lack thereof is regarding the character designs, which are providing a legitimate barrier of entry to an audience who might even really want to play the silly anime game if the characters weren't well, drawn like that.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of all platforms, anime games are controversial with *Nintendo* fans? Have they looked at the games they're playing? Anime games are literally the only reason I own a Switch.