• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I literally stopped attending Anime Expo after 2014 because it was getting too crowded for my tastes, it seems 10x worse now.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
These people work for an contractor/agency, they don't care. They hire anybody and you can't really fire them.

I saw another thread where they said it was the convention center staff, but who knows?

If they're having Fire marshal issues, either a) they really oversold tickets (which most conventions have the presence of mind to cap tickets at fire code) or b) they have a counterfeit ticket / badge problem on steroids

They did actually cap tickets, however that pic is mainly because they let everyone into one area for the opening, before they open up the exhibit hall and everything else, so everyone can only go there. So of course they ran out of room. I think it's intentional too so they can take a pic/video and show off how crowded it is.

I posted this in the other thread but this seems way more reasonable:

but I have yet to see pics of what the line outside is like. The way the do the lines going into the convention center are always crap, at least early on.

Nov 1, 2021
<offtopic>
Aw yes, Anime Expo. Home of making Japan culture completely white and Americanized. Glad to see them becoming another cesspool of superspreaders. /s
</offtopic>

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
That's certainly a take. If only we could have kept Japanese culture pure and away from those mainstream gaijin.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
lol I was at the Fakku party when there was the earthquake in 2019. I love AX, but holy fucking shit am I not up for this.

Nov 1, 2021
User banned (2 weeks): concern trolling
That's certainly a take. If only we could have kept Japanese culture pure and away from those mainstream gaijin.
More so it was a take on how white people like to colonize every single aspect of international culture. Though I'd say you could take it to the next step and say that capitalism is to blame for how it enables white people to colonize these cultural aspects.

grumpybat

Apr 12, 2021
USA
It's really stressing me out that the choice now is basically going out and getting sick or staying inside and doomscrolling until I lose my sanity.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I went to Disneyland last weekend and no one was wearing any masks indoors. Made me nervous, but my wife and I wore our KN95s indoors regardless. I thought for sure I'd pick COVID up, but so far so good. Almost at a week, I tested yesterday and was negative but I guess I could still have it.

Basically in SoCal it seemed like COVID didn't exist anywhere. Was kind of insane coming from the Bay Area.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The other problem with Anime Expo is that it is right before Comic Con, so the overlap is probably not unsignificant. We'll see though. I think Comic con despite having more people is generally a lot more spread out.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some of those pics seem rough for sure. I went to Otakon (it was the first and only 1 of 2 big public outings I have been to since COVID started) last year and they handled it all pretty well. I'm sure you can find pictures of densely packed people but mask discipline was very high and neither me or my friends I went with caught anything. I'll be at Otakon at the end of this month as well (with my mask on!).

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
More so it was a take on how white people like to colonize every single aspect of international culture. Though I'd say you could take it to the next step and say that capitalism is to blame for how it enables white people to colonize these cultural aspects.
What the fuck is this? So we can't have anime conventions here in the US because white people might enjoy it and capitalism? Fucking hell, please tell all the Japanese guests that have come over to be celebrated here that they are wrong to do so and to go home then. Like, what the hell are you on about?

Nov 1, 2021
What the fuck is this? So we can't have anime conventions here in the US because white people might enjoy it and capitalism? Fucking hell, please tell all the Japanese guests that have come over to be celebrated here that they are wrong to do so and to go home then. Like, what the hell are you on about?
Majority of the time a lot of the panelists are anime dub VAs, which may I remind you are majority white. Not to mention that capitalism still plays a huge role with pushing these conventions down everyone's throats.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Who cares at this point. if you are up to date on your vaccinations you have little to worry about if you catch covid probably more at risk crossing the road. yeah it sucks for people at risk but if you are that worried about your health maybe consider not putting yourself in these situations.
Cool take. Artists and vendors need events like this to make a living.

If AX said they would provide a safe environment for artists, they're doing a real bad fucking job of it.

An absolute majority of the anime fandom is not white. This is one of the most ??????? posts I have ever seen on Era. Jesus christ.

Majority of the time a lot of the panelists are anime dub VAs, which may I remind you are majority white. Not to mention that capitalism still plays a huge role with pushing these conventions down everyone's throats.

Because the logistics for flying a JP VA in for an anime con panel are *absurd* in comparison to asking a dude to drive 15 minutes to the convention center. This feels like trolling.

Last edited:

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of the guests are not, the past year or so of cons have had less guests from Japan due to travel restrictions but historically there are plenty. The Japanese embassy in DC takes pride in Otakon (and I'm sure in the many other conventions in the country). Fuck Capitalism but fuck you for not letting people try to celebrate another culture that has brought them lots of joy.

And what are you on about with "these conventions being pushed down everyone's throat?"

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
anime expo is run by absolute fuckheads. and they hire 'volunteers' who take any small piece of power and run with it to the ends of the earth. it's a fucking nightmare if you're an exhibitor to get anything done. the people running the show give a shit about absolutely no one and it gets worse every year.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Who cares at this point. if you are up to date on your vaccinations you have little to worry about if you catch covid probably more at risk crossing the road. yeah it sucks for people at risk but if you are that worried about your health maybe consider not putting yourself in these situations.

Long covid symptoms is a real phenomenon and permanent scarring in the lungs, so people do care.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck are white people "colonizing" anime?

Also, fun fact, Anime was influenced by Western Cartoons of the time like Betty Boop.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The fire marshal thing was only for a few minutes, related to the lobby situation before the actual exhibit hall opened. Once it was open, it was actually not very crowded at all, at least compared to years past. And, shockingly, picking up my badge was super fast and easy compared to previous years. Inside, about sixty to seventy percent of the population was masked, which was actually a lot higher than I thought it'd be.

However, there was one gentleman who worked for *LACC event staff*, not Anime Expo itself, being an asshole and giving out vaccine wristbands without checking vaccine cards. When I tried to take mine out, he said something like "nah, bro, that's for strict people, we ain't strict here". He also said some demeaning misogynistic comment to the woman in front of me. I was thinking about reporting him but I had no way of getting his information.

Still, he wasn't AX staff, so I can't really put it on them. Still sucks. I want that guy fired.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
yeah I saw this earlier. looks like a complete shit show NGL

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Even without covid, those pictures just look ridiculously uncomfortable.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
My time during AX 2017 was an absolute blast, but even back then it took me, my girlfriend, and my friends 6 hours on the first day, in the baking heat, to get our badges. Lines literally snaked into the poor neighborhoods where some families were selling ice-cold water bottles and grilling hot-dogs, bless those amazing people. We got our badges then went back to our hotel and passed out for the rest of the day and were still tired enough to sleep soundly through the night.

Inside was fairly crowded but enough to squeeze your way through even in the most populated areas. Pretty sure that was my first and last convention now with covid pretty much here to stay with the extreme negligence with handling it, and each year AX being handled worse and worse, even before covid. Now, it's pretty much criminal how it's being AX, it needs to be shut down if safety precautions are going to be this unregulated.

Those that care are welcome to not attend. But they don't have the right to enforce their, what is now, very high and unreasonable expectations onto everyone else.
It's "unreasonable" for people to care about those around them, and is instead on immunocompromised people to deal with not being able to attend any kind of public entertainment or event because others won't make even the simplest of compromises to not endanger those around them?

This is incredibly ableist.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
I last went to AX and E3 before it in 2017, I think-- whenever that period of time was before DBFZ and MVCI came out. I remeber both having crazy lines outside the LA convention center the LAFD had to get involved.

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

This attitude might work if all the people who are at this convention quarantine for a few days after. But, they won't.

They'll be right back to taking public transportation to work, or out at restaurants, stores, movie theaters, etc. spreading anything they catch here right out into society as a whole.

I don't know where or how to draw the lines right now, but there is a damn real chance that a lot of people catch covid because of this event. And the more people do, the more likely it is that people also die. Obviously. And that won't be limited to strictly people actually AT this convention.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I can generally deal with the AX crowds but Artist Alley in Kentia hall is the worst. It feels like you're in a parking garage. It's hot and humid and loud. Being in there in COVID times would probably make me have a meltdown.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
these folks not have any ventilation turned on? I've never seen or even felt a convention center that felt like it lacked air flow.........that just seems like a horribly ran event altogether.
It can't be stressed enough that this is always how it is with A-X. They're run by greedy incompetents who were more than content to drop every single covid measure to pack in crowds like sardines, only to roll that back when folks threatened to sue for refunds, and again shirk all responsibility for providing a safe environment for exhibitors and attendees. They have consistently been the single worst con for crowd/line control for going on thirty years running now. They're never going to change for the better. Folks should just stay the hell away from this con at this point, they have never ever given a shit about safety or fire codes, let alone pandemic protocols.

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
Gerstmann was right. Anime IS for jerks.

/s Crazy they let this happen and that this many people are okay with being this close during a pandemic.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
I don't know where or how to draw the lines right now, but there is a damn real chance that a lot of people catch covid because of this event. And the more people do, the more likely it is that people also die. Obviously. And that won't be limited to strictly people actually AT this convention.

i would assume that those people fall into the "sucks if you're at risk" group that the poster you quoted mentioned. you got a semi permanent disability because your cousins friend went to a dumbshit anime convention? sucks!

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are thousands of events like this every weekend. Covid is over in most places.