• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
www.anime-expo.org

An Update from Ray Chiang, CEO of SPJA

There has been a lot of uncertainty around the world these past few weeks caused by COVID-19 (novel coronavirus), and we hope you and your families are staying safe and healthy during these unprecedented times. It is at these very times when we recognize more than ever that for many, Anime Expo...

There has been a lot of uncertainty around the world these past few weeks caused by COVID-19 (novel coronavirus), and we hope you and your families are staying safe and healthy during these unprecedented times. It is at these very times when we recognize more than ever that for many, Anime Expo is more than just an event—it's a community, an annual reunion, a home. Since July 2019, our team has been working hard to make AX 2020 the best experience possible. That being said, we recognize the concerns from our attendees and are continuously and thoroughly reviewing all aspects involved in planning an event as large as ours.

Examining all Aspects

As many of you know, planning for Anime Expo begins months and even years in advance. Event planning consists of many moving parts and every change can potentially have a broad effect, especially when dealing with a large-scale event. As circumstances change every day, it's important to take time to review all the available information, assess the various aspects of our events, and consider all the different factors, such as logistics, system capabilities, production timelines, various obligations, or other resources.

We're in this Together

Our hearts go out to the numerous events that have postponed and canceled in the past few weeks. We know that many members of our community have already been impacted by those changes. As fellow fans, as well as former attendees and volunteers, we are deeply aware of what events like Anime Expo mean to people. For attendees, it is a place to connect with friends and much more. For exhibitors, artists, contractors, performers and more, conventions are an important source of income. For our staff, planning events is a labor of love and a livelihood. We have no doubt that the closures and cancellations are an important sacrifice to help flatten the curve, but we also empathize with the countless individuals who have been adversely affected in the process.

Doing our Due Diligence

We hear and understand your concerns, and we continue to work hard to make Anime Expo 2020 a fun, safe, and memorable experience for our attendees. The situation changes with every day, and as it does, we continue to reevaluate each and every factor as it ultimately contributes to the safety and health of our community, as well as to the future of AX.
While we are unable to provide you with all the answers you want right now, we want to assure you that we are doing all that we possibly can to address your questions, be as transparent as possible, and ensure that we are able to get through this difficult time together. Our goal is to be able to continue supporting the industry and bringing joy to our community through our events. Event updates for Anime Expo 2020 and Project Anime Los Angeles will be posted on their respective websites and social media channels.

Thank you for your patience and understanding and thank you for being part of our community.

Sincerely,

Ray Chiang
CEO
The Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation

Frankly... this is unbelievable and irresponsible. The "best case" estimates are that this thing will still be around come the summer, and having a convention with hundreds of thousands of attendees during the middle of this pandemic is dangerous. E3 takes place in the same location, just a few weeks beforehand, and that was canceled weeks ago. Hell, the LACC is - right now - being transformed into a quarantine for recovering COVID-19 patients.

Shame on you, SPJA.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
All big events in 2020 should be canceled. It's going to be a long year.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hope the vast majority of attendees are just smart enough not to travel to the show this year and I hope AX will honor refunds for folks that elect their safety and social responsibility over going this year.

I hope the same for vendors.

INEVITABLY, if the show goes on there will be folks that show up, but I hope that number is really low.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
they need to say they're on up until the city forces them to close so they get the insurance

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
they need to say they're on up until the city forces them to close so they get the insurance

This.

Wikiwand - Force majeure

In contract law, force majeure is a common clause in contracts which essentially frees both parties from liability or obligation when an extraordinary event or circumstance beyond the control of the parties, such as a war, strike, riot, crime, epidemic, or sudden legal change prevents one or...

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got a really bad con flu from AX a few years ago. I was sick for a whole month. From the day after AX all the way to the end of the month, I was sick and in bed and unable to eat or do anything. A MONTH.

Coronavirus + AX = Lots of people getting sick and possibly dying.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a summer con in my state has been posting like normal this whole time. Wouldn't be surprised if they're just waiting to get shut down in order to avoid eating huge costs.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Posturing, the LACC will likely cancel their use of the venue if they don't do it themselves.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Yeeeeeaaah, I was really looking forward to volunteering and attending this year, but I can't see it happening. Course they are just waiting so they can get the insurance.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
www.anime-expo.org

An Update from Ray Chiang, CEO of SPJA

There has been a lot of uncertainty around the world these past few weeks caused by COVID-19 (novel coronavirus), and we hope you and your families are staying safe and healthy during these unprecedented times. It is at these very times when we recognize more than ever that for many, Anime Expo...

Frankly... this is unbelievable and irresponsible. The "best case" estimates are that this thing will still be around come the summer, and having a convention with hundreds of thousands of attendees during the middle of this pandemic is dangerous. E3 takes place in the same location, just a few weeks beforehand, and that was canceled weeks ago. Hell, the LACC is - right now - being transformed into a quarantine for recovering COVID-19 patients.

Shame on you, SPJA.
It is still way too early to talk about cancelling events in July. As the date comes nearer, if Covid-19 is still a huge concern, they will cancel. Hell I am still waiting to hear about events in June getting cancelled.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It is still way too early to talk about cancelling events in July. As the date comes nearer, if Covid-19 is still a huge concern, they will cancel. Hell I am still waiting to hear about events in June getting cancelled.

It's not. The sooner they cancel the more time people have to cancel flights and hotels. These expos also have vendors and other groups who need to know well in advance what the deal is.

Waiting until the last possible moment is irresponsible.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This.

Wikiwand - Force majeure

In contract law, force majeure is a common clause in contracts which essentially frees both parties from liability or obligation when an extraordinary event or circumstance beyond the control of the parties, such as a war, strike, riot, crime, epidemic, or sudden legal change prevents one or...
It's sort of amazing how many people stIll don't understand this.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

COVID-19 isn't going to suddenly disappear during the summer. Conventions, especially ones as poorly managed as AX where they make it a goal to cram as many people into one space, is a breeding ground for all sorts of illness.

Last year in the Artist Alley, there were points of the day where you could NOT walk through any isles. You were crammed so tight that you would be stuck in one single isle for 30 minutes just trying to get out of any given isle. The isles are not that big.

The year before that AX refused to turn the air conditioner on in that space and it got so bad that people passed out. Even now with having to tap in your badge it just gets too packed.

And this isn't even talking about how much of a nightmare the halls are in general. South and Concourse Hall at their peak are a disaster. You have to go outside the back way if you want to get anywhere.

Until a vaccine exists, there is absolutely no reason to have these mass gatherings like AX. Tens of thousands of people in one space? Nah.

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
It's not. The sooner they cancel the more time people have to cancel flights and hotels. These expos also have vendors and other groups who need to know well in advance what the deal is.

Waiting until the last possible moment is irresponsible.
Everyone should be well aware that it is likely to be cancelled and should be prepared for the possibility. But if the government (local or federal) has not told them that they are required to cancel then they need to keep it on the books until that happens. Like I said I am waiting to find out if a festival I am supposed to work in June is going to happen (it is almost certainly not) and I probably wont know until closer to the end of April when we can gauge what the situation is. Would I like to know sooner? Of course. But I understand why they need to wait to make the decision.

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
COVID-19 isn't going to suddenly disappear during the summer. Conventions, especially ones as poorly managed as AX where they make it a goal to cram as many people into one space, is a breeding ground for all sorts of illness.

Last year in the Artist Alley, there were points of the day where you could NOT walk through any isles. You were crammed so tight that you would be stuck in one single isle for 30 minutes just trying to get out of any given isle. The isles are not that big.

The year before that AX refused to turn the air conditioner on in that space and it got so bad that people passed out. Even now with having to tap in your badge it just gets too packed.

And this isn't even talking about how much of a nightmare the halls are in general. South and Concourse Hall at their peak are a disaster. You have to go outside the back way if you want to get anywhere.

Until a vaccine exists, there is absolutely no reason to have these mass gatherings like AX. Tens of thousands of people in one space? Nah.
Of course not. And I very much doubt very many people, including those who are responsible for the event, question that. But until the government or the venue forces them to cancel they have to keep on like it is going to happen.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
They're just waiting for a government or venue forced closure so insurance can kick in.

And if by some miracle the con doesn't close, you can be sure the Japanese publishers aren't flying their voice actors and authors out.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, it's going to be cancelled. I would think Comic-con too. These are not local events, it'll be people coming from all over if they are held, I just can't see that happening.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I will say that going to PAX East this year, the full realization of the situation really hadn't sunken in yet. In retrospect, a week or two after? What the hell were we all thinking?

Oct 25, 2017

I haven't been to AX since 2008 and every year I consider going but these kind of posts here and elsewhere keep me home; it all sounds miserable.

Thanks for sharing

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Usually in the first two or so days even getting into the venue are several gigantic lines snaking around the convention center. There's just no way.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
the city of los angeles or the county of los angeles will not allow this to happen.

main dude's super scummy for this.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been to AX since 2008 and every year I consider going but these kind of posts here and elsewhere keep me home; it all sounds miserable.

Thanks for sharing

No problem.

Yeah, I started going to AX in 2005 and in 2015 I chose to stop going because it was becoming too much. Too many people, miserable wait times to do ANYTHING, the rising cost of attendance...Getting sick for insane amounts of time after the convention no matter how clean I was and how much vitamin C I took...It just wasn't fun anymore. Went back in 2018 and 2019 and each year I died a little more inside every time, but I went with friends so it made the insanity bearable.

Usually in the first two or so days even getting into the venue are several gigantic lines snaking around the convention center. There's just no way.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Even with the new badge system that was meant to eliminate the outdoor lines, it is still difficult to get inside. They really need to cap the event to a lower attendance amount.

never

Oct 28, 2017
I went to Anime Expo last year and it was a a complete clusterfuck. Those people have no idea how to run a convention so I'm not surprise that they also don't know how to cancel one.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Just like Wrestlemania and Wrestlecon, they have to "keep moving forward" until the government says they can't hold it. Same is happening with EVO, they're doing it until Nevada's Gov cancels all events there.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I went to Anime Expo last year and it was a a complete clusterfuck. Those people have no idea how to run a convention so I'm not surprise that they also don't know how to cancel one.
We went for the first time in 3 years last year. I was shocked at how poorly it was still run. And we had fuckin Premier passes.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017

We went for the first time in 3 years last year. I was shocked at how poorly it was still run. And we had fuckin Premier passes.

Actually after reading some accounts here, I'm glad it might not be happening this summer.

I wanted to meet Amano and some other artists, but it seems like a cluster on an ordinary year.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Actually after reading some accounts here, I'm glad it might not be happening this summer.

I wanted to meet Amano and some other artists, but it seems like a cluster on an ordinary year.
It's a cluster. Don't get me wrong there are things I absolutely love about it! But they are way past capacity at LACC. I can't even imagine what hell it would be if you went on a general pass. They need to move to Anaheim, and given that they haven't announced an extension with LACC I have to believe that's in the cards at some point.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
It's good that they are giving out refunds to badge purchasers.

2020 will not be fondly remembered.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Well there it is. Got a volunteer update on this in the email, so yeah, really sad, but it's for the best. :( Hopefully next year will be fine and I can be excited to attend then.