• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What show do you prefer?

• Code Geass

Votes: 86 29.8%
  • Death Note

Votes: 113 39.1%
  • They both suck. Gimme Monster!

Votes: 52 18.0%
  • I love both equally

Votes: 38 13.1%

• Total voters

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
That's funny, me and my wife have a podcast with our teenage daughter where we mainly introduce her to classic anime and videogames and we just did an episode on Death Note. I didn't even realize it was close to the 15 year anniversary. I think the anime is OK, but I lose interest after the time skip. I actually prefer the live action Japanese movies.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The first half of Death Note is one of my favorites ever.
Code Geass is fun.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
First part of Death Note is still a must read.

Second part is hit or miss.

I never got the hype for Code Geass. Thought it was terrible from begining to end.
Same. I actually stopped watching anime for several years because of how awful I thought Code Geass was.
The hype over this show is something I just cant wrap my head around.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
That's funny, me and my wife have a podcast with our teenage daughter where we mainly introduce her to classic anime and videogames and we just did an episode on Death Note. I didn't even realize it was close to the 15 year anniversary. I think the anime is OK, but I lose interest after the time skip. I actually prefer the live action Japanese movies.

Yeah, the movies did the ending a lot better than the original.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Death Note is one of my favorite shows ever, not just among anime.

Code Geass is good but not as memorable for me.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Death Note had a solid first season that I haven't seen in over a decade and a bad second season which I also haven't seen in over a decade.

Code Geass is a strange, strange show that had two good seasons which I also haven't seen in over a decade.

Don't know Monster. Won't watch it for at least a decade.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Code Geass is the best anime of all time and I will die on this hill.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I still have my 17 year old taste, so Code Geass still my GOAT

Filled with nostalgia its my getaway to anime also helping.

Oct 25, 2017
Code Geass baby. That show is just a rollercoaster of fuckery that is needed in the world. Only thing I feel comes close to it is JoJo for sure.

Death note is just to emo for me. I need the crazy chaos that Code Geass provided

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Code Geass - Never Watched it
Death Note - Watched it when it came out and re-watched it years later. Opinion remained unchanged. Absolutely love the first half. Second half is a bummer.

Nov 29, 2018
Code Geass is absolutely fantastic at being bad. I unironically love it, and also love tearing it to shreds for how dumb it is.

Death Note is just good, but almost overstays its welcome.

Monster is a masterpiece.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
The only entertaining Death Note media is the musical.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People really be trying to split Death Note into two halves like that amnesia arc wasn't part of the first half smh

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Still love them both, for different reasons tho. Death Note is a classic, but Code Geass is just so much fun in how nuts it gets. The second season goes off the rails in the best way possible.

Code Geass might hold a more special place in my heart because I watched it weekly, but I was crazy into Death Note when I watched it as well, so it's very hard to choose.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
Monster is in a class of its own and is easily better than either of the shows mentioned in this thread's title. Hell, it's better than most shows.

That said, Death Note is far better than Code Geass.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Death Note works way better as a manga than an anime.

Code Geass is... special. It's one of the best anime dark comedies of the 2000s, I'll give it that.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I never got too far into Death Note, I liked what I saw but I fell off it. Based on what I heard though I probably wouldn't particularly enjoy what followed it.

I watched Code Geass after it wrapped up and enjoyed it quite a bit. I didn't get the whole "so stupid and wacky" thing people talked about, at least I didn't think it was significantly more off the wall and incoherent than the average action/adventure anime, even if it was obviously convoluted and nonsensical at times. That said it's been over a decade since I watched it so it's very possible my tastes would have changed but I would call myself a fan.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watch code geass but I watched death note fairly recently and thought it was pretty bad and could have done with being like 1/3rd as long.
the american live action film was better

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Death note is still over wrought over rated and dumb.

Code Geass is over wrought over rated and dumb....... But in a fun way.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
First half of Death Note is still essential viewing that I would recommend to pretty much anyone, regardless of their overall interest in anime.

Can't say the same for Code Geass. It's much more of an acquired taste.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Death Note is the more mainstream work, that's easy to say, but I find it much less interesting as a media production. In a few words...I have very little to comment on about Light Yagami as a character at this point. I've grown increasingly tired of him after each viewing. There's a lot more you can talk about with Lelouch, whether you like or dislike him, and that's a big part of why I'd rather rewatch Code Geass myself. I've already done it a few times.

Furthermore, Code Geass also has a certain jack-of-all-trades charm and I happen to like that. I also enjoy researching and reading up on the behind-the-scenes materials, which have added another layer of appreciation from my point of view.

Content-wise...it's got issues, yeah, but there's absolutely a method to the madness and not pure randomness for its own sake. Even in R2, which is clearly the weaker half. Frankly, the ending manages to pull together quite a few threads in a surprisingly effective manner if you can accept its internal logic.

I watched Code Geass after it wrapped up and enjoyed it quite a bit. I didn't get the whole "so stupid and wacky" thing people talked about, at least I didn't think it was significantly more off the wall and incoherent than the average action/adventure anime, even if it was obviously convoluted and nonsensical at times. That said it's been over a decade since I watched it so it's very possible my tastes would have changed but I would call myself a fan.

To be fair, I do think the show is quite intentionally over-the-top and exaggerated because of the stylistic, melodramatic approach chosen by the creators, but still...yes, I find it odd how some viewers have a low tolerance for crazy plot twists when they happen in Code Geass, but can accept them elsewhere. At the same time, it's not like the series is predominantly hated or overwhelmingly disliked, no matter what certain folks may think. It's still relatively popular and gets new fans all the time.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
To be fair, I do think the show is quite intentionally over-the-top and exaggerated because of the stylistic, melodramatic approach chosen by the creators, but still...yes, I find it odd how some viewers have a low tolerance for crazy plot twists when they happen in Code Geass, but can accept them elsewhere. At the same time, it's not like the series is predominantly hated or overwhelmingly disliked, no matter what certain folks may think. It's still relatively popular and gets new fans all the time.
It just felt like fans got hung up on the littlest things, like Suzaku jumping high into the air to spinkick Lelouch's gun out of his hand, and like, yeah, it's kinda silly and over the top, but it became this huge meme for some reason. People legit talked about stuff like that as if it was some horrible MS3TK trainwreck and I just never understood that. Generally speaking it is hard to not feel like some mecha fans are perpetually embarrassed by their genre of choice being over the top and melodramatic. Don't even get me started on Gundam fans.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Both are pretty dumb. However, I enjoyed Geass more because it's such a train wreck of stupid that it's insanely entertaining. One of my fondest anime watching experiences was watching a live stream of an episode of R2 with some friends. As it was LIVE there was no English subtitles yet, so we were all trying to piece out what the fuck was going on. It was super fun!

Death Note, on the other hand, was offensively dumb with how it essentially wrote characters stupid just so its sociopathic protagonist could stay alive.
I was disgusted by what happened to...Naomi? I believe that's her name (it's been YEARS since I saw it). Light should have gotten caught right then and there but nope, had to literally make her dumb otherwise the story would have ended - and it should have! What a garbage series that was. And it was gross how the women were written/treated, too. That was when I checked out of the show mentally and only continued watching to see Light get his much deserved comeuppance.

Last edited:

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I mean… if you give me an option to vote for Monster, then that's what I'm going to pick. But I do like Death Note and Code Geass, they've got issues but they're fun. As for which of the two I prefer, depends on my mood.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Death Note suffered during the second season. Code Geass as well, but my interest hasn't completely plummeted after a certain detective dies. Code Geass was so over the top and fun. It ended up being one of my favorites.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Death Note ep 1-25 and Code Geass S1 are both fantastic, outside of one of the world's dumbest plot twist in Code Geass S1.

The second half of Death Note and Code Geass R2 (and the reboot/sequel movie) are god awful. Both manage to nail their endings however.