• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
So I just got through it. I'm quite happy and can't wait for Season 2 but my big gripe is that I wish they could have a bit more variety. I really miss the other characters and I wouldn't mind seeing more of those new characters too. Part of the fun with the original is how jam packed a lot of episodes felt between the Warners, PatB, Slappy, Mindy, Good Idea Bad Idea, and so on. The new show feels so "empty" in comparison.

As someone noted above you can tell they were starting to experiment a little near the end but I wish they'd shake up the format more. Maybe a "full length" PatB, more interstitials, etc . Right now, it's pretty much Warners, PatB, then more Warners.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Fair, but it works out for me either way. I'm glad I have Hulu for this.
Yeah, I have both Hulu and HBO but I still hope there's no BS when talks of a third season comes along. If it's going to make the jump to HBO Max (ironic because the original jumped from Fox to Kids WB), I hope they don't let any contacts run out JUST to get it on there.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah, I have both Hulu and HBO but I still hope there's no BS when talks of a third season comes along. If it's going to make the jump to HBO Max (ironic because the original jumped from Fox to Kids WB), I hope they don't let any contacts run out JUST to get it on there.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.
My guess, Hulu & HBO Max will just share the first two seasons while the latter would get Seasons 3 onwards. Either that or they share the show in its entirety.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the season. Brain really seemed to start off Full A-hole, but in the last few episodes I think they dialed it back a bit. After, you know, THAT episode.

One other thing that struck me is that the early eps felt pretty good at using relatively modern pop culture, but some of the later eps really started into dated references. A Dr. Spock joke? The Gnome (who clearly was named for a Hulk reference) doing the "Bruce Banner walk", a reference from a 1970's TV show? It felt like we were starting into actual 1990's Animaniacs episodes. Yakko rapping was also dangerously close to some real 90's bad times. Not enough to ruin things, but the early episodes stood out more. Studio Yotta really knocked that scene out of the park.

Sedef122

Nov 7, 2017
All the reviews I have seen are incredibly critical but the impressions here and other places like reddit are fairly glowing, quite surprised at the differing reactions.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the reviews I have seen are incredibly critical but the impressions here and other places like reddit are fairly glowing, quite surprised at the differing reactions.

"Professional" reviews are largely a waste of time anyway because opinions are just opinions, regardless of whether you're paid to share them or not.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually get bored by cartoons as an adult, but decided to check this out because of nostalgia and it's hilarious so far.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm usually pretty cynical on nostalgia reboots/revivals of TV shows from my childhood but I gave Animaniacs a shot and I'm already loving it. The writing is great.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
The only thing I haven't enjoyed is that Pinky and the Brain dragon part. It just wasn't funny, and felt like it was missing something. But otherwise it's all been much better than I expected it to be and the political bits actually kinda work. I wonder if actual kids will be into it because of the tons of 90's references, but I remember the original and Tiny Toons had some stuff that went right over my head at the time.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Cartoon brew at it again:

HdG1BtB.jpg

200.gif

I gotta find a new place to read animation news.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I never realized that the original got political, but thinking back now, I remember references to Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich. I think they must have only registered like the celebrity cameos and references I didn't always get.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am baffled by the weird negative critical reception it's getting from some places. I've seen three episodes now and it's very good.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of news, politics and US history in the original version of the show. I mean, the opening has President Clinton in it, and the first episode has them trolling Ronald Reagan on Dr. Scratchandsniff's psychiatry couch. There's more than a few instances of Pinky and the Brain dealing in government or electoral machinations, and songs about all the Presidents in it. Lots of news anchors and news media gets referenced or lampooned, all kinds of stuff.

Probably the primary difference between then and now is that the machinery of current US politics didn't even exist back then (cable TV news channels beyond CNN, political and news entertainment pundits like...well, all the people we know now, AM radio/social media, etc). Also we're older and we know the references now - as do the pro reviewers and watchers that might be irked by all the "politics" that suddenly showed up in their cartoon, lol.

OP
OP
thecouncil

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I guess this was originally supposed to release before Halloween considering episode 11 appears to be Halloween themed (based on the description). Also, the security camera footage at the end of episode 5 was dated October 25 and the bit was kind of Halloween-y.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 9: Huh lowkey the biggest contribution Rick and Morty might leave on the pop culture is the sci fi idea of a "portal gun"

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 9: Huh lowkey the biggest contribution Rick and Morty might leave on the pop culture is the sci fi idea of a "portal gun"
I actually was thinking this a bit too. The Pinky & the Brain is still Pinky & the Brain, but it's a bit clear they've taken just a bit of inspiration from shows like Rick & Morty in small ways, and Brain's random new portal gun he uses sometimes is definitely one of those things.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
Watched all of this, and Gods...I haven't laughed that hard in years. I didn't realize how much I missed this show.

Though, I do want to know. Please tell me that I am not alone in sincerely missing Slappy Squirrel? Some of the new stuff is interesting, and the one episode that had some of the past cast briefly come back was interesting, but I really do want to see more of her. My all time favorite cartoon gag that has literally made me laugh the absolute hardest in my life came from Slappy Squirrel. And I really do have fond memories of it because of that.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Watched all of this, and Gods...I haven't laughed that hard in years. I didn't realize how much I missed this show.

Though, I do want to know. Please tell me that I am not alone in sincerely missing Slappy Squirrel? Some of the new stuff is interesting, and the one episode that had some of the past cast briefly come back was interesting, but I really do want to see more of her. My all time favorite cartoon gag that has literally made me laugh the absolute hardest in my life came from Slappy Squirrel. And I really do have fond memories of it because of that.
Slappy was the second best of the side character skits behind Pinky and the Brain

Her stuff is missed by me

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Slappy was definitely the third pillar of the show and needs to come back. The rest are more marginal. Nobody misses Buttons and Mindy. At least I hope they don't

Bring back Slappy skits, Skullhead transition segments, and that kid who tells me about Randy Beaman and this reboot will be aces

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

You're not the only one. As a kid, I laughed at Slappy because she was surrounded by morons who couldn't take a hint and leave her be. As an adult, I laugh at Slappy because she was a vindictive curmudgeon surrounded by morons who wouldn't take a hint and leave her be.

It feels like a missed opportunity to not add her as part of the rotation with the Warners and the mice, as the premise of a faded 1940's Tex Avery-style cartoon star dealing with overtly perky neighbours (among other annoyances) with cartoon violence is a fun one.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
My whole family, including my wife who couldn't care less about cartoons, we're cracking up watching this show. We got a couple episodes in.

The only thing I haven't enjoyed is that Pinky and the Brain dragon part. It just wasn't funny, and felt like it was missing something. But otherwise it's all been much better than I expected it to be and the political bits actually kinda work. I wonder if actual kids will be into it because of the tons of 90's references, but I remember the original and Tiny Toons had some stuff that went right over my head at the time.

My oldest daughter and I died at the
Leeroy Jenkins
part. I lost it...totally unexpected. Had to explain it to my wife, as my daughter and I are the gamers, although you do see a meme pop up from that event every now and then.

Last edited:

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
First 2 episodes were great. On episode 7 now and haven't been feeling it as much since. Enjoyable, but not really all that funny. Loving the animation though.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Nice avatar Kangi

On Episode 5 of my re-watch. Watching Bun Violence and it just looks so obvious now. Can't believe I missed it before.

Also, speaking of buns, they... really like their ass shots don't they? Like, really showing both defined cheeks and having them bounce.

Oct 27, 2017
roommate and i were in agreement about some pretty intense ren & stimpy vibes, animation wise

we got through three eps and had a ball. it's not the BEST thing i've ever seen but it's very very enjoyable. the professional reviews are so off for this one.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I swear they did the same Russians messing with American election joke 4 times unironically. There's really some good jokes in here but they're trying so hard to be topical that they're literally repeating the same joke over and over.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Someone mentioned Ren and Stimpy and theres a whole lot of that going on, especially the hideous extreme detail close ups.
Yeah, I guess one of the main directors of the series is Katie Rice who worked on R&S (I've never been an R&S guy so I guess I just didn't know about the penchant for butts) but I saw some people say they love the irony because R&S creator John K was fired for sexually abusing Rice and also HATED the original Animaniacs.

I swear they did the same Russians messing with American election joke 4 times unironically. There's really some good jokes in here but they're trying so hard to be topical that they're literally repeating the same joke over and over.
There's an interview here saying Spielberg was the one who really pushed for political stuff. Also Freakazoid almost showed up
collider.com

‘Animaniacs’ Producers Say ‘Freakazoid’ Was Almost in the New Show

'Animaniacs' producers Wellesley Wild and Gabe Swarr talk their new take on the series and the iconic character that almost made it in.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they get Freakazoid to show up in Season 2.

He was surprisingly faithful in the newest TTG episode.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Took me awhile to remember that this was in regards to the doctor who was famous for all those baby books in the 40's-70's and not a very out of place star trek reference.

I'm fine with dated references though, the original made callbacks to 20-40's era cartoons (hell that's what the warner's themselves are) so not really much point being upset at their inclusion.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they get Freakazoid to show up in Season 2.

He was surprisingly faithful in the newest TTG episode.
Faithful to a huge fault. That entire episode was all nostalgia with nothing new or interesting. I do hope any reboot or crossovers will take the lessons of animaniacs reboot and not just be nostalgia bait alone.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Faithful to a huge fault. That entire episode was all nostalgia with nothing new or interesting. I do hope any reboot or crossovers will take the lessons of animaniacs reboot and not just be nostalgia bait alone.
Yeah, it was cute, but by the end, I'm like "That's it?" Even their weird "moral" didn't make a lick of sense (and not even in a usual Freakazoid Non-sensical kind of way)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm about halfway through at this point, and so far I'm enjoying it, but I definitely agree that this show could use more of the old cast.

And what's with the lack of Good Idea, Bad Idea?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I totally forgot this was out, so I watched the first 4 episodes, and loved it. I was a huge fan of the original release back in the 90's (i'd hurry home from school so i could catch it every day), and this has been wonderful. Still feels like the 90's show, and just as silly, goofy, witty, and satirical as the original.

I own the original series on DVD, and I actually rewatched it not that long ago before I knew about this reboot, and the original series is so much fun to revisit as an adult. It has some dated stuff, as expected, but overall, it holds up so well. Great, great show. I can't wait to watch more of this relaunch/boot/whatever. The cast has been great so far, though no surprises there, and the animation is wonderful.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the season. Fantastic stuff. I think pretty much my only complaint is the lack of additional segments like Mr. Skullhead and Slappy, with the one-offs from this season not being quite strong enough to replace them. If anything, the over the top musclehead was a stronger character than those. Looking forward to the next season, whenever that is.

I also feel like I can trust if they decide to do a Freakazoid! revival. The character's entire thing is internet and super hero stuff, which are bigger than ever right now. Tiny Toons is coming back too, right? Why not get all those old Spielberg projects back.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Loved the season.
I'm still shocked at what Brain did to Julia, and that they didn't revisit the story in this first season. Brain's schemes are usually ridiculous but ultimately harmless to all but himself & Pinky, but this time there's a real victim. It's super dark and disturbing for the show. Again I really wish they had returned to the story in the first season.

Overall I think they did a fantastic job. There are some episodes & gags that fall flat, and the voices are a bit off at times, but it's a great return to form and a great job making it relevant. My 12 year old son loved it as much as my wife & I did (and we were already married when the original series was out & watched it and its spinoffs weekly.)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
As someone who loved Animaniacs in the 90s as a kid, I kinda dislike the Pinky and the Brain stuff. The normal Animaniacs stuff is great satire, but most of the Pinky and the Brain segments feel more like typical 90s cartoons without much satire.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
As someone who loved Animaniacs in the 90s as a kid, I kinda dislike the Pinky and the Brain stuff. The normal Animaniacs stuff is great satire, but most of the Pinky and the Brain segments feel more like typical 90s cartoons without much satire.
Uhhhh I am not sure we are watching the same show here. It's not the same type of explicit fourth wall breaking commentary from the Warner's but I can't think of a single segment that's not satirizing something... I mean, the one on the Red Scare, or on the NSA, etc.?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhh I am not sure we are watching the same show here. It's not the same type of explicit fourth wall breaking commentary from the Warner's but I can't think of a single segment that's not satirizing something... I mean, the one on the Red Scare, or on the NSA, etc.?
This. Not sure how anyone could get that pinky and the brain isn't satire. In fact, it's far more scathing than the animaniacs. Usually dedicating the entire episode to tear their target down versus a couple one off jokes. (Bun episode aside)

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
My whole family, including my wife who couldn't care less about cartoons, we're cracking up watching this show. We got a couple episodes in.

My oldest daughter and I died at the
Leeroy Jenkins
part. I lost it...totally unexpected. Had to explain it to my wife, as my daughter and I are the gamers, although you do see a meme pop up from that event every now and then.

Yeah, that part was the only thing that made me smirk but I just tune out or get on here whenever one of their parts are on. I just don't like them, love the rest of the show though. The NRA parody was sooo good

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
There's plenty of news, politics and US history in the original version of the show. I mean, the opening has President Clinton in it, and the first episode has them trolling Ronald Reagan on Dr. Scratchandsniff's psychiatry couch. There's more than a few instances of Pinky and the Brain dealing in government or electoral machinations, and songs about all the Presidents in it. Lots of news anchors and news media gets referenced or lampooned, all kinds of stuff.

Probably the primary difference between then and now is that the machinery of current US politics didn't even exist back then (cable TV news channels beyond CNN, political and news entertainment pundits like...well, all the people we know now, AM radio/social media, etc). Also we're older and we know the references now - as do the pro reviewers and watchers that might be irked by all the "politics" that suddenly showed up in their cartoon, lol.

old show i remember the adult/topical/political jokes more as easter eggs for mom and dad, or they were just kind of "there". seems like they flipped that aspect on its head and that essentially is the show now

which is fine by me but i don't know what a hypothetical 12 year old me today would think. or if i was a super fan who's been regularly watching animaniacs reruns over the past 20 years

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
old show i remember the adult/topical/political jokes more as easter eggs for mom and dad, or they were just kind of "there". seems like they flipped that aspect on its head and that essentially is the show now

which is fine by me but i don't know what a hypothetical 12 year old me today would think. or if i was a super fan who's been regularly watching animaniacs reruns over the past 20 years
yeah, i would love some parents to chime in and let us know what their kids thought of it. it's hard to judge it from that perspective, but as an adult i love it.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
yeah, i would love some parents to chime in and let us know what their kids thought of it. it's hard to judge it from that perspective, but as an adult i love it.
My five year old thinks it's all just goofy slapstick and thinks it's hilarious. He would love something like Katie Kaboom or Buttons and Mindy, which are easy to follow and just harmless cartoon violence, would be nice to get one or two of those in Season 2.

My twelve year old is getting most of the jokes and thinks it's hilarious. I don't think there's anything that went straight over her head, but I doubt she's picked up on some of the less in your face themes/allusions in Pinky and the Brain.