• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
REESE AND CYRUS ARE BACK

PAGING Delphine

I SAW THAT I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW SOBS REESE IS BACK Y'ALL!
Me to Nintendo:

Wu4bDyb.gif

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
Props to Nintendo, this is more than I expected in a single update. I'm hyped AF for this, as they're knocking off most of my wishlist already. Still a few things left of course. It will be interesting to see how two new visitors balance out with the existing ones. I've only had Celeste visit once and zero meteor showers (in over 30 days), so I have my concerns. Hopefully Leif and Redd are locked for once per week, along with Label and Kicks.

It's also great to see Nintendo planning a solid event schedule and filling up the months. There's always something to look forward to. Wedding Season and Nature Day seem smaller in scope than Bunny Day, which is certainly welcome. Can't wait to see what they have in store for these events and future ones.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish Nintendo didn't detail what updates we're going to be getting. Would be fun to know big things are coming and then be surprised to see Red on the secret beach.

Either way... excellent news!

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Well.... After you've seen the credits you basically did, saw and unlocked everything the game has to offer (-the shop main extension which is arriving for most normal players tomorrow).
There was literally nothing more to do besides the usual daily tasks after the first 2 weeks, if we're being honest here.

So this comes really right in time.
How much it adds in the long run, we'll see.

Wish they would address some of the QOL things instead of pushing out too much new stuff. Same mistake Nintendo does with the last Mario Maker update. There are so many things you can improve with the snap of a finger in AC and make the life a little bit more enjoyable, do that instead of adding bushes.... :/
The credits have never been the end of the game. In New Horizons they're the end of the tutorial. You literally have not seen "everything the game has to offer" by the time the credits roll because you don't even get the terraforming tool, a massive new gameplay feature, until after the credits, never mind additional characters like Flick, CJ, Labelle, etc may not have even shown up for some people by then due to the game's RNG.

There's still a ton of shit to do once the credits roll, the entire game is after them. The campaign in an Animal Crossing game typically takes a calendar year to "complete", the only difference is this time Nintendo is pushing out the seasonal items and events as DLC to keep people from jumping ahead and ruining everything. It might make it feel like it's post game content, but it's not, it's Nintendo's way of gatekeeping the events from time travelers. In any past AC game this update would have been on the cart already along with every other future update and we would have known about all of them and their contents a few days after release. They basically made Animal Crossing episodic with New Horizons, but if you were just playing the game and not paying attention to the marketing you would never notice the difference, you'd just go along and the new stuff would show up at the proper seasonal time as it always has.

I do agree that we need some QOL updates though, crafting bait is a fuuuuucking pain.

I kinda wish Nintendo didn't detail what updates we're going to be getting. Would be fun to know big things are coming and then be surprised to see Red on the secret beach.

Either way... excellent news!

You could always not watch the trailers for them or read the update notes. Then as I said above it would be like playing any past Animal Crossing, game would update in the background and you'd boot it up and suddenly there'd be a new character or shop just like before :D

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
I was hoping farming and cooking would come next but perhaps they are saving those updates for the fall season. I am thankful they showed the event off today and not two weeks ago, or it would have been much harder to wait :P

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
pirate Redd is so fucking cool. didn't expect to get him in the game this early.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK the devs don't care about time travelers doing what they do and view it just another playstyle. As it is I'd be out of a significant other if I shamed them at every corner about the game for being her fault over something harmless and not discouraged.

Well just think about it this way, if all content was already in the game, time travelers would have showned everything the game as to offer. If the surprise of new elements can be that way for a year, that will be a good thing. They might dont care, but for those who dont play that way, seeing everything in less than 2 weeks wouldnt be as satisfying .

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible they might do QOL improvements but they just might not be mentioning them in the video? Maybe? I hope?

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
It's possible they might do QOL improvements but they just might not be mentioning them in the video? Maybe? I hope?
I think this update was finalized before launch and before Nintendo understood how badly we want some of these qol improvements. I'd say the most likely time for major qol improvements would be sometime in the big summer update

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome!!!!!

(And annoying!!!! I have inclines and a path on the back edge of my area. Gonna have to redo everything to get a simple path back to Redd's beach)

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
The credits have never been the end of the game. In New Horizons they're the end of the tutorial. You literally have not seen "everything the game has to offer" by the time the credits roll because you don't even get the terraforming tool, a massive new gameplay feature, until after the credits, never mind additional characters like Flick, CJ, Labelle, etc may not have even shown up for some people by then due to the game's RNG.

There's still a ton of shit to do once the credits roll, the entire game is after them. The campaign in an Animal Crossing game typically takes a calendar year to "complete", the only difference is this time Nintendo is pushing out the seasonal items and events as DLC to keep people from jumping ahead and ruining everything. It might make it feel like it's post game content, but it's not, it's Nintendo's way of gatekeeping the events from time travelers. In any past AC game this update would have been on the cart already along with every other future update and we would have known about all of them and their contents a few days after release. They basically made Animal Crossing episodic with New Horizons, but if you were just playing the game and not paying attention to the marketing you would never notice the difference, you'd just go along and the new stuff would show up at the proper seasonal time as it always has.

I do agree that we need some QOL updates though, crafting bait is a fuuuuucking pain.

You could always not watch the trailers for them or read the update notes. Then as I said above it would be like playing any past Animal Crossing, game would update in the background and you'd boot it up and suddenly there'd be a new character or shop just like before :D
But given the amount of time needed to get there, and how the gameplay evolves, not everyone might want to keep playing. These additions would have made my current experience so much better.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in!

jk ive been playing this game nonstop since March 20

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
This update looks incredible. I love that we can examine the artwork up close now to look for counterfeits. (I hope/imagine we'll be able to do the same once the pieces are in the museum too, which would be awesome.)

And this makes the possibility of farming being added in the future much more likely, thanks to the files that one dataminer found~

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
This update might just solidify this as the GOTY.
Holy shit I'm so in on all of these additions.

All the events look so different to bunny day!

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Oh he's for sure a pirate who is also selling counterfeits ahah. You see the player inspecting the painting in the trailer, that's probably to help you try and spot the counterfeits.

Oh he's for sure a pirate who is also selling counterfeits ahah. You see the player inspecting the painting in the trailer, that's probably to help you try and spot the counterfeits.

Counterfeits are confirmed:

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
How do we think the Museum Appreciation Day event works? I wonder what triggers the stamps.. it can't be as simple as just exploring the museum right?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No. That's because the shop is remodeling. Most folks should be remodeling either today or tomorrow (mine is reopening tomorrow)
Oh wow, I assumed I was behind everyone on this one because I've been slacking on buying stuff from the shop, but mine reopens tomorrow, so I guess I'm still in the group that played it day 1.

I wonder what the trigger for this was. I'd just assumed it was based on how much you spent there, but I guess that's not it.

Oct 27, 2017
No. That's because the shop is remodeling. Most folks should be remodeling either today or tomorrow (mine is reopening tomorrow)

Thanks!

That's what I thought at first, but i'm so far ahead of my wife in pretty much all aspects of the game so i'm surprised we got the upgrade at the same time. It must have to do with the store was first put it, and not related to a spending goal as with NL.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How do we think the Museum Appreciation Day event works? I wonder what triggers the stamps.. it can't be as simple as just exploring the museum right?
My guess is that each room has multiple places where a stamp station rotates daily, probably with one stamp station in each of the four sections (though hopefully they'll have the foresight not to put stamp stations in the art section or curators everywhere will be disappointed in them.) Presumably the fish area will have 8 or 9 stamps total, 3 for the coastal room, 2 for the deep ocean room, and 3 or 4 for the freshwater room , meaning you'd have to check in for 8 or 9 of the 14 days the event runs in order to get everything and receive the final reward.

Last edited:

Zookfoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I assumed I was behind everyone on this one because I've been slacking on buying stuff from the shop, but mine reopens tomorrow, so I guess I'm still in the group that played it day 1.

I wonder what the trigger for this was. I'd just assumed it was based on how much you spent there, but I guess that's not it.
Trigger is I think 30 days after shop opens

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks!

That's what I thought at first, but i'm so far ahead of my wife in pretty much all aspects of the game so i'm surprised we got the upgrade at the same time. It must have to do with the store was first put it, and not related to a spending goal as with NL.

These are the requirements for the shop to upgrade: