• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Store is closed so I guess I'm waiting until the morning

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Blathers: Sea Slug? Abolone? Other kind of slimey creature found in water? Love it. Give me more of that shit.

Blathers: Snail on land? Get that shit out of my face.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I played 350 hours of this at launch then dropped it right after that art guy showed up. (Loved my time with it just got burned - my fault lol)
Has a lot changed since?
It's been on my mind lately and I'm thinking of logging back in..

Last edited:

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Movement is far too slow damn. Caught about 8 creatures this morning after 2 full inventories and got no new ones on my 2nd, so I'm gonna wait till 4pm to have another shot at it and clean up the night creatures. Nice to have a reason to return to the game, but it's still not a ton of content. At least unlike other updates we'll be getting more new creatures every month so the update isn't just one and done.

They really do need to change the appearance rate for villagers and move some into shops though. This once random once a week thing is nonsense. Redd is the only one that really matters after his first appearance and he almost never shows so working on the art gallery isn't even something most people can consider.

I played 350 hours of this at launch then dropped it right after that art guy showed up. (Lived my time with it just got burned - my fault lol)
Has a lot changed since?
No not really. This new update with sea creatures is the only real long-term change we've had since launch if I'm remembering correctly, and even then it's not a ton of content. Everything else was just a new merchant in the random cycle selling a few items or one and done events. Quite disappointing considering.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I played 350 hours of this at launch then dropped it right after that art guy showed up. (Lived my time with it just got burned - my fault lol)
Has a lot changed since?

Eh, not really besides new July catches and this summer update. Might as well check it out.

You missed the wedding-themed items for June, though.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
I'm pacific time so shop is still open here. If you guys want to come by to buy wetsuits dm me for a dodo :)

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
No not really. This new update with sea creatures is the only real long-term change we've had since launch if I'm remembering correctly, and even then it's not a ton of content. Everything else was just a new merchant in the random cycle selling a few items or one and done events. Quite disappointing considering.
Eh, not really besides new July catches and this summer update. Might as well check it out.

You missed the wedding-themed items for June, though.

Thanks y'all. I may check out the update coming soon but it's a bummer no new shops/cafe/permanent buildings have been added! I thought we would be getting regular additions like this due to the things missing that previous games had. Still a fun game but I had run out of a lot of stuff to do after 350 hours.
I can't believe I played this much. Timing with COVID lockdown here in US meant I was home 24/7 so I played the hell out of this - hours a day lol

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Updated and i dont see the wet suit in the glass cabinet? I ordered a wet suit from nook shopping instead.

Huh I restarted my console and started the game and its here now.

Last edited:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Blathers: Sea Slug? Abolone? Other kind of slimey creature found in water? Love it. Give me more of that shit.

Giant isopod? "Awesome."
Pillbug (isopods that live on land but are still crustaceans and breathe with gills)? "Ew no!"

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

blather's was having a transcendent moment as i gave him a sea slug. It is seriously the longest I have ever seen him talk about anything, he loves this thing.

earlier that day i gave him a beetle and he just dragged it for 3 text boxes

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Found on Reddit, I think these are legit based on the mermaid items I've seen.

l0hdp5fnik851.png

u49ar8n2ik851.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
You know what is weird?

We still don't have those big Sun umbrellas that you see all the time at beaches!
Forgot how they are called

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
I think the game would not be able to handle furniture with a slim base and a wide top like a beach umbrella. They may put one on a table, maybe? But I'm not sure how it would work standalone. You probably wouldn't be able to go under it, which defeats the purpose.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
3 inventory-filling diving sessions later, still never seen a pearl. Do they just show up with bubbles like a critter?

Also this diving suit really highlights what's wrong with the breakable tools. It is just so relaxing, swimming around, catching stuff, taking my time. It really made it sink in just how many fish and bugs I skip over because I don't want to break my rod/net :(
Diving is actively making me dislike the fishing/bug catching. I want my unbreakable New Leaf fishing rod back :( Fishing was the best in previous games...

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I think the game would not be able to handle furniture with a slim base and a wide top like a beach umbrella. They may put one on a table, maybe? But I'm not sure how it would work standalone. You probably wouldn't be able to go under it, which defeats the purpose.
Just treat it like a leaf pile where you can walk in and through it. If the pole is slender enough nobody will care that you're really just clipping through it.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
So are we thinking early or late August for the next update? I'm hoping for early, because it doesn't feel like they added as much as I was expecting here...I know it's what they advertised in the trailer, but I was kind of hoping they were just hiding stuff.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Pascal is still one of the best NPC but why did they give him a high pitch voice in this ?! I can't wait for Brewster with a peppy voice 😋
Also it made me realize he is only the second NPC introduced in Wild World to make the jump to NH. That is sad since I think WW had the best batch of newcomers (and of course the first one introduced was Celeste aka the cute one...I want my creeps in AC damnit)

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
3 inventory-filling diving sessions later, still never seen a pearl. Do they just show up with bubbles like a critter?

Also this diving suit really highlights what's wrong with the breakable tools. It is just so relaxing, swimming around, catching stuff, taking my time. It really made it sink in just how many fish and bugs I skip over because I don't want to break my rod/net :(
Diving is actively making me dislike the fishing/bug catching. I want my unbreakable New Leaf fishing rod back :( Fishing was the best in previous games...

I've played New Leaf and the original AC a bit since New Horizons came and the fishing feels best in this game. Easily. The animation, the sounds, the rumble all make it feel tighter and more responsive. It's not even close for me. I've said it before, but the breakable tools are just something else for me to do. And with customization it's rare that one breaks on me (well not the axes). I just treat it like maintenance and keep a few DIY benches around the island. And with the nook miles there's a chance I will get rewarded for either customizing a tool or crafting a new one or even buying a new one from Nook's. So it scratches another itch.

I know not everyone agrees, which is fine, but I like the current system so I selfishly hope they keep it going. Although I think it would good if instead of the tool disappearing when it breaks it just becomes a broken tool that can be fixed. This would require less resources for the player and save a little time as you would not need to craft the flimsy version first.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've played New Leaf and the original AC a bit since New Horizons came and the fishing feels best in this game. Easily. The animation, the sounds, the rumble all make it feel tighter and more responsive. It's not even close for me. I've said it before, but the breakable tools are just something else for me to do. And with customization it's rare that one breaks on me (well not the axes). I just treat it like maintenance and keep a few DIY benches around the island. And with the nook miles there's a chance I will get rewarded for either customizing a tool or crafting a new one or even buying a new one from Nook's. So it scratches another itch.

I know not everyone agrees, which is fine, but I like the current system so I selfishly hope they keep it going. Although I think it would good if instead of the tool disappearing when it breaks it just becomes a broken tool that can be fixed. This would require less resources for the player and save a little time as you would not need to craft the flimsy version first.
Hopefully this isn't derailing too much.

But I completely agree that the fishing is improved, along with almost everything, in New Horizons. It's a mental thing, I guess. My customisation kits are on one side of the island, if I'm on the other side I find I tend to sparingly use my tools. Kinda like the recent Zelda game, my tools exploding - even if it's a minor inconvenience - feels like punishment and just makes me avoid using them.
Repeatedly customising tools or building new ones doesn't really add anything to the game at all, it's just busy work.

Plus, my beloved Fish fishing rod looks best light blue, I have to keep customising it to other colours to keep it alive, or else I might be stuck with the... ugh... colourful fishing rod that's always on sale when mine breaks.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So basically the Pirate Gulliver is Nintendo's workaround to how normal Gulliver would show up in your island waaaaaay less frequently after the Earth Day update?

DoubleG

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
It works with trees. Takes up 1x1 space but looks bigger at top.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Yeah they show up normally. I found 2 in about 5 sessions, both in the afternoon if that matters.

I'm in the Southern Hemisphere and so far I've caught:
All Times: Seaweed, Scallop, acorn barnacle, pearl oyster, oyster, sea anemone, sea cucumber, sea slug, sea star, whelk.
Afternoon: Octopus, mantis shrimp (also found at night),
Night: Dungeness crab, snow crab, Venus' flower basket, sea pig, abalone.
Am wondering how many more there are to get atm. I almost have half (17/40), and I can't imagine them offering many more in the first month.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Could your neighbors randomly send you art pieces for the museum before the update?

Maybe it was just coincidence with the update today?

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
This update, quite frankly, stinks. Swimming is so slow. What this game needs is Quality of Life updates and to expand Nook Shops more for a wider selection of furniture. What they have on now is downright embrassing and a massive downgrade from New Leaf.