• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Source: Reddit... And GameXplain

vbf7y0wdhhj41.jpg

This new and exciting feature will spice up the recreational spirit of the game. The features keep piling on!

Are you excited? Or better put, how could you not be?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think this works wonders, I remember logging in some days just for a matter of minutes because my goal (catching bugs, getting specific furniture etc.) wasn't available that day. Or worse, it'd take 30+ minutes for it to happen or something.

So long as they don't get incredibly mean like "catch five bees" I see it as nothing but a positive design decision, really

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Animal Crossing kind of already had daily "objectives" even before Gacha and GaaS even really existed. The money rocks, the trees, gyroids and fossils, a lot of that stuff was on a timer anyway so you would make sure to do those once a day.

I have to admit that in that way, the old ways feel a bit more mysterious. But as long as these things aren't intrusive, I think they can be fun.

I admit, it still feels weird though. I feel like watering plants should be a reward in and of itself (And with cross breeding it already has a reward) so it kinda takes the wind out of my sails to be rewarded "points" for doing it. It makes it a little more in your face each day that you're missing out by not doing the activities.

But that's doom and gloom (Although it does remind me a bit too much of Pocket Camp). Looks like the system could be really fun depending on what you're told to do.

OP
OP
Asbsand

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Animal Crossing kind of already had daily "objectives" even before Gacha and GaaS even really existed. The money rocks, the trees, gyroids and fossils, a lot of that stuff was on a timer anyway so you would make sure to do those once a day.
Open worlds used to have waypoints but then BotW happened. I have the same feeling about notificational objectives versus player-driven objectives. The design of those games clearly eased you into a structure that kinda led itself, but it was clever manipulation that made you feel like you were doing it by necessity, or not becuase you didn't bother. But having it in a GUI, it's going to be a thing that keeps bothering you when you don't feel like it.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good thing, often in Animal Crossing I stand there not knowing what to do more for the day.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's basically just an official way for you to get money instead of cheesing tortimer island. The tortimer island thing was lame in hindsight. It kind of drained the fun of animal crossing.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This is fine.
Some people need clear goals and this will help ease them into the structure of the game.

For existing fans they will probably clear these objectives naturally anyway. Everybody wins.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
they pioneered this shit, only seems right to keep refining the concept

i can't wait to unwind with this

OP
OP
Asbsand

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Hopefully they vary and aren't just the same five goals every day.
They probably follow the calendar. Hopefully they found a really cool implementation that keeps you guessing. Hopefully it's part of an actual live-service structure so you feel connected while playing it over years.

Tchocky

Oct 27, 2017
This makes sense because the island tours cost nook miles, so they needed a way for you to get more after completing all the normal objectives.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't Animal Crossing always had daily objectives? Clear the weeds, find the fossils, talk to each villager, break the gem rock, harvest your fruit, etc.

It wasn't formally listed like this, but those were essentially your "daily objectives" in past AC games.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Did people not wonder how we would get an endless supply of Nook Miles? This was the only way.

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
I'm happy about daily objectives. It's one thing I miss from playing MMOs. I want a reason to play every day besides talking to villagers as a way to prevent them from moving out.

deeganay

Oct 30, 2017
Very happy to hear about daily objectives in Animal Crossing! I like being able to jump into a game like this sometimes and have objectives to complete.
I get that a large part of Animal Crossing is just about that "cozy" feeling, but sometimes after playing for ~ a year, it gets a bit stale so hopefully, this will spice thing up a bit!

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm indifferent. Some might feel like obligations to just maximize Nook Miles and not miss out, but if it's just rewards for doing the stuff I normally would do on my daily check ins and some incentive for things I might not that are still fun it could be OK.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Daily Objectives get boring quick.
It doesn't hurt that they're there, but I know I'll skip them entirely not-so-later-on.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I admit I liked it a lot when those daily goals were implicit as opposed to explicit, but maybe it won't be so bad.

I do worry about the sort of mysterious quality of the game being pulled away too much, it's a tricky design problem to think about what to show and what to let players discover.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
A daily checklist is exactly what I needed to help me stay focused and on-track at my job in the game.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I do worry about the sort of mysterious quality of the game being pulled away too much, it's a tricky design problem to think about what to show and what to let players discover.

I'm not super worried about this specific feature doing that - it appears to be something you unlock eventually, (it's apparently Nook Miles+), and presumably by the time you can unlock it you'll be familiar enough with the basic gameplay aspects (watering flowers, collecting woods, etc).