• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New: Added another threadmark to detail that Nintendo has re-uploaded the Direct and removed any mention of the one-time save recovery.

Old: Added threadmark to detail the wording for such a feature is only for Europe and Japan at the moment.

Threads and reports have been popping up around the whole cloud save situation and only being able to recover it once in an event of a stolen or broken Switch. Though it seems to get ignored that during the Direct, it was detailed that the game will feature user and save data transfer capabilities from one console to another later in the year.

hNI1mvg.png

Last edited:

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
After Mario Maker 2, the "Aw shit people really are mad about that obvious thing we didn't do, quick let's do it" trend continues. At least, they're listening, I guess?

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I mean this has to be there for people transferring to an upgraded Switch.

Basically, like did people think Nintendo wouldn't have a solution for people who upgrade to a possible Switch Pro?

They aren't going to be like "Yeah, you're going to have to make a whole new island...Sorry"

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm still expecting some needless fuckery. Not going to be relieved about this until they actually deliver it.

OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still expecting some needless fuckery. Not going to be relieved about this until they actually deliver it.

The wording in "specific to Animal Crossing: New Horizons" makes me wonder what can they possibly change about a save transfer from your typical one.

Oct 25, 2017
"Please mail in your hand written letter including your reasoning for requesting this transfer. Upon rejection, you may not request a transfer again. Thank you for choosing Nook Inc!"

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The wording in "specific to Animal Crossing: New Horizons" makes me wonder what can they possibly change about a save transfer from your typical one.
The regular transfer just grabs the user's save data for a game and sends it to another Switch. The AC save data, though, is shared across all Switch profiles to have a shared island. So they'll probably have some sort of in-game save export that extracts a smaller subset of the save data for the current user, then sends that across.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Me too. But I'm slightly hopeful after reading that second paragraph.
Basically, like did people think Nintendo wouldn't have a solution for people who upgrade to a possible Switch Pro?

They aren't going to be like "Yeah, you're going to have to make a whole new island...Sorry"
Anyone who says Nintendo planned it all along, I don't buy this theory at all. There is ALREADY two Switch models on the market, OG and Lite. Nintendo has been working on this game for how long now? System transfer shoulsn't just be for a theoretical Pro. It should be available from the start for the current two models. Just makes me think that the backlash righfully had an effect.

We need major gaming journalism outlets to hold Nintendo to account with proper questions. Not just pussy foot around questions and be PR mouthpieces.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo I know we've been saying this for over a decade now but it's 2020. Please... PLEASE figure out your shit.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Note that this is only mentioned in the JP and EU press releases. The NA one does not mention this at all, though one can assume that it's just a difference in translation and not likely a sign that it won't be available in NA since it will most likely be part of a firmware update.

Further details that show it is currently only for Europe and Japan.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
OP, this is in Europe and Japan only. The American site has different language.

A note on the European Nintendo site suggests that "a function specific to Animal Crossing: New Horizons to move users and save data to another console is planned for release later this year. But the US version of the site simply says "Animal Crossing: New Horizons does not support the ability to transfer your save file from one Nintendo Switch system to another." We've reached out to Nintendo about this discrepancy and will let you know if we hear back.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think we can ever give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt on stuff like this.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Why even have this save restriction in the first place when it's not an issue with other games? Afraid of hacks?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Well, being able to transfer everything to a new console is all I needed.

I'm happy that it'll be there, but why did it take so long for them to specifically clarify that?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They obviously wouldn't have stopped you from upgrading to the future new models. This was to be expected.
Still, this essentially fixes what people have been worried about in the previous thread.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Well, being able to transfer everything to a new console is all I needed.

I'm happy that it'll be there, but why did it take so long for them to specifically clarify that?
It took them so long because this probably wasn't planned and is as a result of the backlash. Otherwise a feature like this should be day 1 for a game in development for so long.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's really no reason at all for the US to support this differently, I'm sure it's just a translation difference between the websites.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
This really bums me as I'm getting the AC Switch for my wife as a surprise (she is a big AC fan) and it doesn't release here until March 20th (same day as the game) - shipping will add a few more days, and she will likely want to get started on her town right away on her OG switch.

Whats a guy to do?

New Direct upload that has the one-time save functionality mention removed.
OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has re-uploaded the Direct and removed any mention of the one-time save recovery. The wording seems to be changing here to open up to the possibility of what the EU and Japan sites say.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
"Oops, that didn't go over well..."

"Emergency Direct! ACNH delayed to 2021 to add cloud support!"​

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has re-uploaded the Direct and removed any mention of the one-time save recovery. The wording seems to be changing here to open up to the possibility of what the EU and Japan sites say.

You just know Nintendo's own, internal communication on this must be all over the place for this game, for this to happen.

Fix your shit up, Nintendo.