• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody stopped calling Animal Crossing a niche series after the first sales results for New Horizons was released.

It had already passed that status with Wild World and New Leaf which is why it was dumb at all. New Leaf sold more than like almost every Zelda but BOTW I think and WW outsold a good deal of Nintendo franchises.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think it's because some people here don't realize what a massive success the Switch has been. They are assuming that it's only selling to a niche Nintendo market and therefore, don't comprehend how many systems have actually been sold. When viewing some of the Japanese sales threads, you can see how shocked people with the Switch vs. PS4 discrepancy, even though it has been that way for years now.

Who knows what it is. It's just funny when people throw down hard numbers without doing any research and ignoring facts after they're presented. It's like a microcosm of what's happening all over the world with politics and shit, so it's interesting to see it play out in real time in a zero stakes environment. Especially the guy who said people who thought AC would sell more were "showing their biases" when it was literally (and obviously) the opposite.

Nov 2, 2017
YFdPOdn.gif

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
My wife got so frustrated with our boys always taking it out and swapping that she went and bought a second copy so that all three of them could go back and forth easier...

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Absolutely wild performance. Literally came out at the perfect time when most people were stuck at home looking to fill time.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Insane sales. I'll never understand the appeal of games like this, but my wife and kids love it.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Weird... I've been asked to deliver items several times a week. I have lost items to return all the time. I've played hide and seek on a bunch of occasions.

Wait, for real? I've had the game since launch and played daily for months before slowly quitting. I talked to them everyday but the dialogue got too stale. Villagers have never asked to play hide n seek. They've done the treasure thing once, but never hide n seek. I checked on the wiki and it says it was only in City Folk and New Leaf too. I've seen the lost items as well, but I've still yet to have them ask me to deliver something more than once.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, for real? I've had the game since launch and played daily for months before slowly quitting. I talked to them everyday but the dialogue got too stale. Villagers have never asked to play hide n seek. They've done the treasure thing once, but never hide n seek. I checked on the wiki and it says it was only in City Folk and New Leaf too. I've seen the lost items as well, but I've still yet to have them ask me to deliver something more than once.
There is a lot of stuff that don't happen until you become friend with your villagers.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017

Except it is. A lot of the missing content that has been in other AC games has been covered in other threads. I know there's some stuff in ACNH that is more streamlined, but there is a lot less interactivity and less characters in this game.

I'm hoping they will add this stuff back in eventually since AC games have long legs and it hasn't even been a year yet.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Except it is. A lot of the missing content that has been in other AC games has been covered in other threads. I know there's some stuff in ACNH that is more streamlined, but there is a lot less interactivity and less characters in this game.

I'm hoping they will add this stuff back in eventually since AC games have long legs and it hasn't even been a year yet.

Barebones implies it doesn't add anything new, though. None of the old games allowed you to terraform, add furniture everywhere, etc. That doesn't mean it's not disappointing that it doesn't have stuff from other games, but it's not like the game is just Animal Crossing GC level with nothing new on top.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

You never played the series on the GameCube or DS, did you? Yes, New Horizons is missing some characters and content from New Leaf, but the GameCube game in particular is bare-bones compared to everything that came after and Wild World wasn't a giant leap forward, either.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
You never played the series on the GameCube or DS, did you? Yes, New Horizons is missing some characters and content from New Leaf, but the GameCube game in particular is bare-bones compared to everything that came after and Wild World wasn't a giant leap forward, either.

New Leaf is the only AC I've played before NH, so yes I misspoke when comparing to the really old AC games. Still it sucks to have less content that the previous games and it's very noticeable.

I do remember a friend playing the GCN version and you could play some NES games in that version...that doesn't exist in NH does it?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
New Leaf is the only AC I've played before NH, so yes I misspoke when comparing to the really old AC games. Still it sucks to have less content that the previous games and it's very noticeable.

I do remember a friend playing the GCN version and you could play some NES games in that version...that doesn't exist in NH does it?

New Leaf was in a great position. It could re-use a lot of the assets from GameCube, and City Folk. It was also on a non-HD system. I kind of figured New Horizons was going to struggle because of this... All of the furniture had to be re-done, and it is much, much, much more detailed. That on top of re-doing all the animals. I think this, along with COVID-19, the game needing a delay before release, on top of the ways holidays are being handled and such are why it is worse than New Leaf in some respects.

Compare this to Nintendo's other HD games. BOTW doesn't have all the content from old games and is quite different. Enemy variety is also lesser than some older games. Odyssey doesn't have all the content from older games, either. It's all new stuff.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
The pandemic really focused a lot of attention onto it, from businesses and people who never played one before. For some it was totally not for them but a copy was sold regardless, didn't matter if the quality wasn't up to standards but it's animal crossing on the switch.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
New Leaf was in a great position. It could re-use a lot of the assets from GameCube, and City Folk. It was also on a non-HD system. I kind of figured New Horizons was going to struggle because of this... All of the furniture had to be re-done, and it is much, much, much more detailed. That on top of re-doing all the animals. I think this, along with COVID-19, the game needing a delay before release, on top of the ways holidays are being handled and such are why it is worse than New Leaf in some respects.

Compare this to Nintendo's other HD games. BOTW doesn't have all the content from old games and is quite different. Enemy variety is also lesser than some older games. Odyssey doesn't have all the content from older games, either. It's all new stuff.
New Horizons also made a big, big change by making the entire island customizable. Terraforming is an entirely new feature and allows for player-designed islands with an incredible degree of flexibility, with the system's constraints in mind. Take that, along with having to rebuild every single asset since there were no HD assets to carry forward, and there is a lot that's brand new to the game.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Almost triple the lifetime sales of New Leaf in less than a year and almost more sales than all other games in the series combined, just crazy. Absolutely well deserved though, such a fantastic game. Helped me a lot through last year as well.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
What's the install base of the Switch? The attach rate must be insane. I guess it will become a game that everyone buys with their Switch (next to MK8 and BotW)

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best selling console game of all time in Japan, right? And in less than a year.

nintendoweboughtjapan.jpg