• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 56 4.1%
  • 95-99

Votes: 106 7.7%
  • 90-94

Votes: 583 42.2%
  • 85-89

Votes: 497 36.0%
  • 80-84

Votes: 113 8.2%
  • 75-79

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • under 75

Votes: 16 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
From what we've heard, when the island is at its most basic state, the music is limited, but when you progress pass a certain threshold, the hourly music is introduced.

Also the Gamexplain guy said he put 100 hours into the game and just barely got to use the terraforming features, so that should make some """purists""" happy.
I haven't played it myself but I believe this is right, there is hourly music

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
90+... Let me post the most het gif I have.

YkiFnjV.gif

I... may need to reverse my opinion and pick this up after all.

Yes I called it a chore simulator but now it's a critically acclaimed chore simulator.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fug, I'm getting it.
WIll try it for 3 days. If I still don't like it by then, I'll sell it on ebay.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Yea but what can you do about it? You can't give reviewers the game months out.
I think it's fine like you have to enjoy the start enough to actually care to see changes months down the line. It's closer to how like destiny type of stuff is reviewed that evolves and changes over time.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
hourly tracks are in, they just appear after you upgrade the resident services facility for some reason
Ah, great to hear. Can't say I agree with the decision to limit the music of all things, but it seems like the very early game is a pseudo tutorial mode with upgrading to town hall essentially being where everything opens up.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Areajugones (9.3/10, review in Spanish):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a video game that does not come to reinvent the wheel and that, luckily and despite the fact that the franchise could ask for it, it flees from the current concept of game as a service and remains faithful to a very strong design philosophy . Calm, 'good vibes' and a love of detail remain the foundation on which Nintendo builds a delightful experience capable of trapping and entertaining us for dozens and dozens of hours.

Nintendo has done it again, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons not only takes us to new horizons, it also takes new horizons for both the franchise and the genre. A punch on the table with an outstanding work that is placed right now among the best in the Nintendo Switch catalog.

Spaziogames (9.3/10, review in Italian):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons represents the perfect sum of what Animal Crossing has been up to now, proposing the good things done from previous episodes and enriching it with new contents and new mechanics. He does not reinvent anything, he does not revolutionize anything but, like New Leaf before him, he messes up the cards on the table to give us a fresh and different experience than the previous ones. For this, New Horizons manages to steal the title of best episode of the series from its predecessor, taking the series to new heights.

Now you just have to wait a few days: Tom Nook is waiting for you on the island, and with him thousands of new adventures.

GameMAG (9/10, review in Russian):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons significantly expands the functionality of New Leaf, but remains the same familiar game in the genre of contemplative life simulator. It is a very competent, detailed project of amazing, subtle beauty, which must be in the collection of every owner of the Nintendo Switch.

GamePro (90/100, review in German):
Animal Crossing New Horizons creates a versatile and deep life simulation despite peaceful island life.

Glitched Africa (9/10):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is not for everyone. Its snail-pace progression may turn you off and its tedious mechanics can be an issue to get through at times. However, it acts as an escape from the world for a few hours where you can build your dream island, run around in the rain in your undies and catch a whale shark with a flimsy fishing rod. There's a lot to love about the game but there's also a lot to hate. One thing is for sure, Animal Crossing: New Horizons is like adopting a pet, you will be stuck with it for months and years ahead as you nurture it and love it every single day.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Even more excite now!
Good lord the Switch is ON FIRE.
This is Nintendo firing on all cylinders and I can't wait to play this (please Friday at midnight and not later in the day!!!!!)

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
Metacritic is so wonky.

It says 91 on the homepage, then you click it to go to the review page and it says 92, refresh, still 92, then go back to the homepage, 91.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Do any of the reviews go into detail on any changes to Public Works Projects? Can I only build one thing per day, for example? And it takes 24 hours to be built? And does moving buildings count as a PWP? Does that take 24 hours to be completed as well?

Per our guy that reviewed it for Wccftech:

Yes, still one per day, 24 hour limit, moving buildings doesn't count I believe, neither do special buildings like shops, or a house is different to a bridge or incline, for example. They all take a day.

But public works projects now are just houses, bridges, inclines, since you can place furniture yourself anywhere so it's not as restrictive.

One a day for bridges or inclines, houses are separate

Terraforming is instant if you want to build paths, etc.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hobby Consolas (88/100, review in Spanish):
A perfect evolution of the Animal Crossing formula; It is faithful to the structure of the saga, but it multiplies our customization possibilities to infinity, adds depth to all activities and promises an endless duration, in which new events throughout the year never cease to amaze us.

Destructoid (8.5/10):
Honestly, 18 days is far too little time to generate a comprehensive assessment of Animal Crossing: New Horizons. There is still much I don't know about this game, including how in-game purchases will ultimately be incorporated. But based on what I have been able to experience, it's what I've wanted Animal Crossing to be for many years. While it fumbles its camping-inspired opening, New Horizons makes a nice recovery with a strong focus on player accomplishment, creating a potent sense of achievement in this idyllic piece of escapism.

Critical Hit (8.5/10):
While other life sims often place things on a timeline, barring you from doing too much in a day because of limitations like energy meters, Animal Crossing just leaves you be to do whatever you want to do. Having the game take place in real-time makes everything you do feel like it was done on purpose and ensures that you'll always be back to see what's been happening in your little town the next day. New Horizons is an almost endless game that wants you to keep playing it for weeks and weeks but it doesn't do that through cheap microtransactions and dumb paywalls. It does it by being utterly pleasant in almost every single facet of its design. You won't come back to Animal Crossing: New Horizons because you feel like you have to. You'll keep coming back because you want to.

Everyeye.it (8.5/10, review in Italian):
It's a special game, Animal Crossing: New Horizons. An addictive diversion that allows you to escape from the daily routine to discover an alternative, made of flowers to plant, of strange talking animals, of a wandering disengagement between rivers and beaches.

GameSpot (8/10, review in progress):
New Horizons certainly has a slower pace than other Animal Crossing games, partially because you have to work to get things up and running on the island at the start. And while I'm impatient to discover what upgrades might be coming my way (and I need to mess around with Island Designer more), I still feel as though I've done a lot on my island. I've crafted tons of furniture, upgraded my house seven times, picked thousands of weeds, and done far too many drastic outfit changes. I'm as excited to see what random events await me each morning as I am to decorate my island and make it my own, and that's sure to keep me coming back for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Portalbox

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, great to hear. Can't say I agree with the decision to limit the music of all things, but it seems like the very early game is a pseudo tutorial mode with upgrading to town hall essentially being where everything opens up.
This has always been the case IIRC. In the original AC you were limited to 1 tune only when doing tasks for Tom Nook as part of the tutorial.

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
Omg when the girl in the Gamespot review almost teared up talking about a neighbor singing in the town square...I felt that.

Oct 28, 2019
So what is there to do after you have collected all the daily spawnables? In HM and SV you just forward it to the next day after you have done your daily tasks, but that's not possible here. Haven't played AC before but am interested.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
So what is there to do after you have collected all the daily spawnables? In HM and SV you just forward it to the next day after you have done your daily tasks, but that's not possible here. Haven't played AC before but am interested.
You talk to your villagers, fish, design stuff, pay off your debt. You can probably find events to do like travel to other islands or play online with other players. After you play for a few weeks, it's turns into a game about bite sized experiences. Like a daily snack.

GodlyTwins

Oct 30, 2017
Ahh, I guessed 91 but I see it at 92 right now! Thank god for Nioh 2.. making the wait a little bit bearable.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Well besides other activities like interacting with neighbours and such, you save the game and go to sleep.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eurogamer (essential):
Even some 90 hours in, Animal Crossing: New Horizons maintains its ability to surprise. It's how each day presents a new mystery to unravel, or a new visitor to hang out with - though often it's satisfying enough just to check in to see how your flowers are doing. I just went for another morning stroll, and spotted Billy the trouble-making goat running arms out through a copse of trees, a look of glee fixed on his face. I can't bring myself to make him leave; indeed, I think I properly like him now, for all his faults.

He's a keeper, and so too is Animal Crossing: New Horizons, probably the best this series has ever had to offer and therefore one of Nintendo's very best games to date. It presents a world absurd in its mundanity yet shot through with magic, offering an escapism that's reassuringly dependable. I just hope you weren't planning on playing anything else this year.

Polygon (no score):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a respite from the current state of the world. I find my general anxiety slowly subside as I run through my town, water my plants, and build furniture for the sassy chicken gentleman living down by the beach. It's exactly what I need right now.

There are moments when I look up from a long session and realize that I've been ignoring everything around me. Then I take a look around at what actually is going on around me, and realize that maybe I'd better stay in my island paradise for a little while longer.

Kotaku (no score):
I found community here. Not a community shackled together by economy or industry, but one connected by mutual compassion. That doesn't mean everyone is blithely ignorant of reality or brainwashed into mind-numbing positivity, but there's an undercurrent of tenderness for your fellow animal that inspires each and every action we take. I know life is waiting for me back on the mainland. I know this can't last forever. But in the meantime, I'm going to absorb as much from my time here as possible in the hopes of taking at least a little bit of Aurora back with me.

Ars Technica (approved):
People will talk about this game as an ideal escape during uncertain current events, but I'd like to emphasize how much I enjoyed AC:NH even when I had other viable social and outdoor entertainment options. Animal Crossing games have always delivered a compelling version of self-quarantine, and this one overflows with quantity, without sacrificing quality, to do so at a scale series fans have never seen. Consider this a very high recommendation for anyone who thinks shooting the breeze with neon-colored, gym-loving ponies and hot-pink, coffee-chugging kangaroos is a great idea for a video game.

EGM (no score, review in progress):
For now, Animal Crossing: New Horizons feels like a no-brainer for fans of the franchise, and a perfect place to start for newcomers—with the exception of ruining every other previous Animal Crossing game, should you ever want to go back to them.

Nintendo World Report (review in progress):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a whole new approach to the series. While it has created some downsides, I can't understate how great this game has come together. The overall flow has been expanded with Nook Miles goals, DIY projects, and very lively animal friends. What I'm impressed by is how I was never left without something to do, and how I could see the world improve around me. There are a few things that New Horizons could have explained better, but they are also part of the more free flowing future that the franchise wants. Even after all these years, there is a daily routine that I hold dear and makes me adore the various elements that glue this game together. It has been sharply dialed up to eleven, without disagrading any newcomers.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Having tools that break is fine. Having tools that break with no indicator on them on when they'll break is straight up stupid. Hopefully they can patch that later. Or maybe it won't matter at all after we've got the highest level tools. Regardless, sounds like a minor quibble in an otherwise amazing experience. I can't wait.

Also, no word on extra games to play within the game. Booooo. Maybe also with time we'll get those.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
Will there be a 3 or 4 out of 10 point score from a mainstream review outlet again? It almost happens with every game