• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Had a quick look but couldn't see anything posted about this. Aya Kyogoku and Hisashi Nogami did an online talk at Japan's Computer Entertainment Developers Conference (CEDEC) a few days ago where they revealed this information in one of their slides.

animal-crossing-player-data-1024x575.jpg

There's an article in English about the talk here:
www.videogameschronicle.com

Animal Crossing’s developers say the series ‘must continue to evolve’ | VGC

Nintendo’s series leads held a wide-ranging talk in Japan this week…

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder why there's such a drop off at around age 60?
The drop off really seems to be from 45 to 60 from what I can see. If you think about it, someone who is 50 now was 15 in 1985 (release of Famicom/NES). I think having video games as part of your childhood correlates strongly to playing them as an adult.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder why there's such a drop off at around age 60?

Probaby multiple reasons. My mom is 75 and had never played a video game other than Candy Crush. She was getting very sad because of the lock down so I thought she'd like to play Animal Crossing with me. Unfortunately, the Switch was very hard to find by then, but I eventually found her a Switch Lite. It was hard for her to see the screen, and she had difficulty naviagting a 3D world and using a controller for the first time. Things I can do in my sleep were difficult for her. When I explained things, I tended to use game terms she didn't understand. So it could be frustrating at times.
I thought she'd give up or get bored, but she really got into it and even bought herself a regular Switch so she could play on her big TV. She can catch bugs now because she can finally see them. She even started a 2nd island and now plays both of them.

So, there's a high cost of entry and a steep learning curve if you've never played a video game before.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I thought this game sold well because kids were buying it, or that was the excuse for this game being the best selling exclusive of the year.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
That is a pretty incredible gender split considering how male dominated the industry usually is. One of the reasons Animal Crossing can be so successful.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Is almost as if we would buy more videogames if you marketed and tried to sell to us more. And it could apply to way more genres and games than animal crossing.