• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

Joining the finished museum club! Man that was great. I'm nearing 700 hours now I think which is another 200 over NL. I think playing for a year is just about perfect for me. It'll be weird putting it down for a bit since I've played every single day since launch lol

Oct 27, 2017
"Customisation kits? We sell those singly or in bulk! 1 kit is 600 bells or we can sell you 5 for 3000 bells!"
"But that's exactly the same pri-"
"That's right BIG BULK BUY SAVINGS!!!!"

Also, spider crab is awesome, yuge. My wife has a load placed on her beach with lights and DJ decks etc, spidercrab disco! I've started on a spidercrab temple at the top of my island, all hail the creepy spidercrab gods.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I have to ask, where are all the items hiding and how do I get them? It's been like a year, and I've played a good four to five months out of it, and I still haven't seen most of any furniture sets. Like two or three of some — rattan being the exception, of which I have a bunch. Haven't even gotten any modern or classic furniture, pretty sure. I still don't even have many very basic recipes to compensate (despite having a basement full of dupe recipes). Does this game just have a lot less furniture or something?

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have to ask, where are all the items hiding and how do I get them? It's been like a year, and I've played a good four to five months out of it, and I still haven't seen most of any furniture sets. Like two or three of some — rattan being the exception, of which I have a bunch. Haven't even gotten any modern or classic furniture, pretty sure. I still don't even have many very basic recipes to compensate (despite having a basement full of dupe recipes). Does this game just have a lot less furniture or something?

There's a number of missing furniture series from New leaf, yeah. They've got more versions and customisations for included items, but that came at the expense of some older items. Unfortunately, they hamstrung the system themselves by tying different colour versions of a bunch of items to a random variable decided when you made the island, which makes getting variants a lot harder than it needed to be. You have ot either get them through Redds store, or visiting someone elses island/having them send you it.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Holy god how is it already March?

Game really needs a Year Two update, I'm hoping for some big announcement later this month. I miss Gracie not being in my life.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
There's a number of missing furniture series from New leaf, yeah. They've got more versions and customisations for included items, but that came at the expense of some older items. Unfortunately, they hamstrung the system themselves by tying different colour versions of a bunch of items to a random variable decided when you made the island, which makes getting variants a lot harder than it needed to be. You have ot either get them through Redds store, or visiting someone elses island/having them send you it.

Ah, that explains some things. I'll have to check a list of all furniture to set my expectations then.

Having "island exclusive" color schemes is disappointing. I suspected as much because I'd always get a certain color of some items. Why they didn't allow you to just customize those items to get alt colors is beyond me.

There are so many small things like this that add friction to this game. Like crafting at home still requiring you to put resources in your inventory, not being able to craft multiples of tools at once, being unable to see at a glance which items allow customization, etc. The more options they add, the more the ones that would be nice but are missing stand out, I guess. I'm limiting my play time to like 30-60 minutes max per day, so I don't get frustrated by having my fourth tool break in a day and other things like that :')

Last edited:

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
Unfortunately, they hamstrung the system themselves by tying different colour versions of a bunch of items to a random variable decided when you made the island, which makes getting variants a lot harder than it needed to be.
I understand what they are trying to achieve with it (make the players communicate with each other), but it could also work if this system assigned two or three colors to each island instead of one.
Why they didn't allow you to just customize an item to get its alt color is beyond me.
Serge is busy travelling with his wife between islands to relive their marriage and isn't available to do what he did in New Leaf.

(😭)

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
You can customise some of the Mario items. I wish you could customise the pipes and have them warp to matching ones but Nintendon't.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You should build a big graveyard on your island and put a photo by each grave.
Did someone say graveyard?
exyzcpuucaev4p59cjbw.jpeg

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people are just discovering the 5 item daily limit today.
the post office needs to come back so we can have 2 sets of item deliveries a day

And also I think 10 at a time

...I'm running out of things to do in this game (after playing every day for almost a year)

Just art and making a perfect town left, I guess. Unless I start just making up goals like models of every bug or something

*looks up dead eyed from excel sheet tracking ownership of all items* do i have the horrible idea for you

Nov 25, 2019
Ah, that explains some things. I'll have to check a list of all furniture to set my expectations then.

Having "island exclusive" color schemes is disappointing. I suspected as much because I'd always get a certain color of some items. Why they didn't allow you to just customize those items to get alt colors is beyond me.

There are so many small things like this that add friction to this game. Like crafting at home still requiring you to put resources in your inventory, not being able to craft multiples of tools at once, being unable to see at a glance which items allow customization, etc. The more options they add, the more the ones that would be nice but are missing stand out, I guess. I'm limiting my play time to like 30-60 minutes max per day, so I don't get frustrated by having my fourth tool break in a day and other things like that :')
Adding to the previous answer, you can get color variations from Wisp, tree drops (2 on your island daily, 1 one each NMT island), balloons and islanders' gifts.

I don't know if it helps, but selecting the "Customisation" option on a workbench lets you see which items on your pockets can be customised, even if you don't have the kits/materials with you. The catalog on your NookPhone shows a little label on the left side for items that have either color variations/custom variations but misses the items that can be customised with your (or others) designs- this omission is not present on the catalog app of the NSO app. The NSO Catalog has a filter that shows every item that can be customised and also has the little labels for the color variations.

For reference, the game has 1,142 pieces of furniture as of 1.8 update. Base NL had 1,271 and amiibo'd NL had 1,764.

...I'm running out of things to do in this game (after playing every day for almost a year)

Just art and making a perfect town left, I guess. Unless I start just making up goals like models of every bug or something

Not counting the time-impossible miles like K.K. concerts, have you/do you want to go for a complete Nook Miles Stamp thing? Some of those are really hard/grindy/take time.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
That's handy, warp pipes still work even if one is in your house.

It'd be cute if you gave one to a villager and they had dialog for warping into their house

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Adding to the previous answer, you can get color variations from Wisp, tree drops (2 on your island daily, 1 one each NMT island), balloons and islanders' gifts.

I don't know if it helps, but selecting the "Customisation" option on a workbench lets you see which items on your pockets can be customised, even if you don't have the kits/materials with you. The catalog on your NookPhone shows a little label on the left side for items that have either color variations/custom variations but misses the items that can be customised with your (or others) designs- this omission is not present on the catalog app of the NSO app. The NSO Catalog has a filter that shows every item that can be customised and also has the little labels for the color variations.

For reference, the game has 1,142 pieces of furniture as of 1.8 update. Base NL had 1,271 and amiibo'd NL had 1,764.

Thanks, all useful info. I thought it was just one furniture drop from trees. I've been missing out all this time! And that filter will be very useful. Never noticed it. Ideally, you could see it in your storage but that's good too.

That's handy, warp pipes still work even if one is in your house.

That's great! Wouldn't have even tried it if you didn't mention it. I'll have to place mine in the basement next to a crafting table. That will save me a lot of runs back and forth.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Gotta love the five item a day ordering limit when Nintendo dropped several times that with the Mario update.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
It's one of those silly things... I'm dealing with it by ordering 5 extra items with a secondary character (which I mostly use to store more items).

Oh hey, I'm guessing most people know this but... if you customize an item like the Shell the new color shows up at the Nook Shopping catalog and you can order new copies already customized (not in the promotion tab, though! you have to browse/search the item catalog).

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those silly things... I'm dealing with it by ordering 5 extra items with a secondary character (which I mostly use to store more items).

Oh hey, I'm guessing most people know this but... if you customize an item like the Shell the new color shows up at the Nook Shopping catalog and you can order new copies already customized (not in the promotion tab, though! you have to browse/search the item catalog).
Huh, I'm shocked the mario items actually show up in the catalog after buying them.
And when I checked the mushroom mural when the update hit it wasnt there...but now it is. And hey I see the pocket camp items now too.

...sadly the seasonal items don't. I'll never understand this game's decisions.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Huh, I'm shocked the mario items actually show up in the catalog after buying them.
And when I checked the mushroom mural when the update hit it wasnt there...but now it is. And hey I see the pocket camp items now too.

...sadly the seasonal items don't. I'll never understand this game's decisions.
Seasonal items kind of make sense because they're on a rotation for the individual seasons. I believe the Mario (and Pocket Camp) items are permanent additions to the game.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Seasonal items kind of make sense because they're on a rotation for the individual seasons. I believe the Mario (and Pocket Camp) items are permanent additions to the game.
Well, to be fair, clothing like "Tree sweater" are seasonal too (only sold during Winter) but once you catalog it you can order it all year round. The game isn't entirely consistent with these things. I guess they simply want to keep seasonal items rare, for some reason?

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take 5 item limit over anything having to do with farming balloons. I'm so over that lol

wiiucollector

Aug 5, 2018
Germany
I have Diana visiting at the camp site if anyone wants her. First come, first served (I'll edit once she's been booked away).

Edit: she already had her'ses.

Last edited:

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I've come to the conclusion that the number one QoL change I want the most out of literally anything else for this game is being able to give villagers things when they're fucking sitting.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
So I've come to the conclusion that the number one QoL change I want the most out of literally anything else for this game is being able to give villagers things when they're fucking sitting.

You might know this but I've noticed alot of players don't If there sitting outside on the floor just walk into them and they will stand up it doesn't work in the main plaza also if there sitting in there home you can just walk out then walk back in the house.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
What? There's no way that should be as big a priority as being able to buy/craft quantity, craft with materials in storage, or be able to buy more than one of each clothing type at a time from Able's.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Celeste and meteor shower and free DIYs at my island for the next hour or so:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
It seems like flowers aren't creating new flowers (hybrids / duplicates) at the rate they used to. Feels like I'm barely getting any new flowers the day after watering.
Was the rate changed or something since last year?
(I removed all the flowers in my town over winter.)

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like flowers aren't creating new flowers (hybrids / duplicates) at the rate they used to. Feels like I'm barely getting any new flowers the day after watering.
Was the rate changed or something since last year?
(I removed all the flowers in my town over winter.)
I had a hell of a time getting black cosmos and purple windflowers to duplicate. It seems to help more when other people water, or when it rains.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I had a hell of a time getting black cosmos and purple windflowers to duplicate. It seems to help more when other people water, or when it rains.
This year in particular though? I'm feeling like they're not reproducing as quickly as they were last summer/fall. No matter what the combo is. Lol. I mean, I'm on no rush. Just wondering if lower reproduction rates for flowers was a thing that was patched in or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.