• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Marina will be in boxes tomorrow, let me know if you want to offer her a home.

Marina_NewHorizon.png

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, I have a question wrt the island transfer stuff. I recently got a Lite to complement my big boi Switch, and I think I'd like to transfer from my big Switch over to it for a bit, but I'd really also like to be able to move back to the big one at a later date. Is that possible or is there a limit on how often/how much this can be done? I'm hardly planning to jump back and forth daily or anything (would be nice if that was easy but we don't live in that world I don't think) but a lot of searching on this issue has given me zero info and it's annoying.

Thanks in advance!

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
I still loved to know how you can get a better chance of receiving furniture when speaking to villagers. Most of the time, im getting freakin clothes. Tried to match they fsvorite color, interest, 90% of the time, its clothes im getting back 🙁

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I still loved to know how you can get a better chance of receiving furniture when speaking to villagers. Most of the time, im getting freakin clothes. Tried to match they fsvorite color, interest, 90% of the time, its clothes im getting back 🙁
That's usually how it goes but it's entirely random. There should be two trees per day that will drop a furniture item.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I think if you've been playing every day since launch then TODAY you should be reaching the last "active island resident" (300 days). Also, my birthday 🥳

Final reminder, I have Marina in boxes today!
📦 🐙 📦
-edit-
To the void with her then!

Last edited:

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
I think if you've been playing every day since launch then TODAY you should be reaching the last "active island resident" (300 days). Also, my birthday 🥳
Happy birthday!

I got the 300 day achievement as well. Apparently I've played over 450 hours since launch, though I imagine at least half of that was farming for balloon recipes, lol. For comparison, I think I played New Leaf over 500 hours, but that was over the course of around 2 years.

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017

Final reminder, I have Marina in boxes today!
📦 🐙 📦
-edit-
To the void with her then!

Happy [belated?] birthday! I started late so am only on Day 265.

Happy birthday!

I got the 300 day achievement as well. Apparently I've played over 450 hours since launch, though I imagine at least half of that was farming for balloon recipes, lol. For comparison, I think I played New Leaf over 500 hours, but that was over the course of around 2 years.

My first ever AC game but it's a crazy obsession for me. I'm at 1,065 hours so far. Though I'm sure there's at least 200 hours there of idling for shooting starts before I found Meteonook, and probably some more balloon farming and what not. Still though, love the game. Just started a major island renovation - redoing almost my entire layout - so the game is still fresh for me. And since I missed Cherry Blossom & Bunny Day, I still have a couple of seasonal events I haven't participated in. I do already have several Bunny Day recipes I picked up from meeting someone online though

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I missed a few, so my 300 days stamp will happen sometime next week.

But damn, I'm only at 40 out of 100 needed for the final stamp for KK visits. What were they thinking with that one.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
I missed a few, so my 300 days stamp will happen sometime next week.

But damn, I'm only at 40 out of 100 needed for the final stamp for KK visits. What were they thinking with that one.
They had a badge for 100 KK concerts in New Leaf as well, but back then you could listen to multiple songs on a single night and they would count. Not so in New Horizons; only the first listen each Saturday counts. However, if you're really desperate to hasten things, you could create new villager alts with different birthdays since the birthday concerts count towards the stamps.

I guess Nintendo intended for people to play at least 2 years to get the 100 KK visits, but the main reason I played NL for 2 years was to see the Town Tree grow. NH doesn't have that same hook, so I wonder what they'll add in year 2 to keep people coming back.

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
Here's my weekly list of available DIYs. PM me if you need any of these. I'll be getting rid of them before I sign off on Saturday night (so I don't get hate mail from the Happy Home people).

Natural square table
Log extra-long sofa
Zen-style stone
Ornament Wreath x 2
Bamboo sphere
Plain wooden shop sign
Snowflake pochette
Big festive tree x 2
Ski-slope wall
Iceberg flooring
Decoy duck
Wooden-knot wall
Peach wall
Steel flooring
Birdhouse
Knitted-grass backpack

Standard umbrella stand
Stone wall
Natural garden table
Wooden block chest
Golden arowana model
Log garden lounge
Birdbath
Water pump

Last edited:

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo need to make their online app do something with AC. Like for Turnips, a box like in game you could deposit your turnip, and check AM and PM price and sell if you wish from the app. Store opening at 8AM , im off to work at that time. I really think i missed a big turnip jump. Or simply do like in New Leaf so store can be set to open sooner or later dang, its not hard....

Animal Crossing - Turnip Prophet

Animal Crossing - Turnip Prophet

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I'm at 226 for Active Island Resident, so looks like I've missed 75 days. I knew I had some breaks, especially during the summer, but I guess I didn't think they added up to that much.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
A reminder that today is the 15th of January, last day to buy the Seasonal New Year goods like the 2021 celebratory arch or the Zodiac ox figurine.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I missed 15 days so I will get my 300 day stamp later in the month. And I finally finished crafting all the festive items, with just enough yellow ornaments.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Is it still possible to get villager photos by giving them wrapped non-native fruit as a daily present? It doesn't seem like it from my recent experience, and I've been away for a while so I was wondering if that got changed in an update or something.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Raymond is literally the only one I haven't managed to get the framed picture of yet. I give him some pumpkin every time I see him, but I don't even bother wrapping it anymore :'D But yeah, it's been taking a while!

Oct 28, 2017
Is it still possible to get villager photos by giving them wrapped non-native fruit as a daily present? It doesn't seem like it from my recent experience, and I've been away for a while so I was wondering if that got changed in an update or something.
Raymond is literally the only one I haven't managed to get the framed picture of yet. I give him some pumpkin every time I see him, but I don't even bother wrapping it anymore :'D But yeah, it's been taking a while!
If you are seeing bells as a return present frequently, it is because your gift does not meet the minimum value (sell price) to get a guaranteed item in return. For fruit, try giving a stack of 2 non-native, non-coconut fruit. For pumpkins, try giving a stack of 3 pumpkins (any color). You must wrap the present to give a stack, but this is one of the easier ways to always get an item in return and not mess up a villager's house or wardrobe. Lots of other items work just fine, but I find it adds a little value to the limited "farming/gardening" aspect of the game to use fruit and pumpkins. Some people like to give fossils, others swear by the iron wall lamp trick. Just go with what feels right for you, but keep an eye on that item selling price before you hand over a present.

Just remember, every time you see bells as a return gift, you are postponing getting the desired photograph by a whole extra day!

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017

lol this is literally all I do. Every day I give 3 wrapped non-native fruit to my villagers that I am seeking photos from. Some take longer than other others since it's random but eventually I always get it.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
After playing the game everyday since launch, I haven't booted up the game since Halloween. How fucked am I? Are all my villagers gone?

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
It just feels like it was easier to get the photos earlier in the game's lifespan. I have around 20 photos on the wall already from past residents. But the 3 I'm working on now just won't budge after weeks of trying.

That's RNG, I guess.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
It just feels like it was easier to get the photos earlier in the game's lifespan. I have around 20 photos on the wall already from past residents. But the 3 I'm working on now just won't budge after weeks of trying.

That's RNG, I guess.
How many are you giving per gift? At some point they changed it so a gift has to be worth 750 bells in order for a chance of a photo in return, so just one non-native fruit won't cut it. I've been doing wrapped stacks of three pumpkins daily, and I still get photos on a regular basis.

But yes, RNG is still part of it. At maximum friendship it's still only about a 10% chance of happening per gift.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
After playing the game everyday since launch, I haven't booted up the game since Halloween. How fucked am I? Are all my villagers gone?
Villagers will never move out on their own due to inactivity in New Horizons. You might see some more weeds and cockroaches in your house, but I don't believe there are any other consequences for inactivity. Well, you did miss a lot of seasonal stuff, I guess.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
If you are seeing bells as a return present frequently, it is because your gift does not meet the minimum value (sell price) to get a guaranteed item in return. For fruit, try giving a stack of 2 non-native, non-coconut fruit. For pumpkins, try giving a stack of 3 pumpkins (any color). You must wrap the present to give a stack, but this is one of the easier ways to always get an item in return and not mess up a villager's house or wardrobe. Lots of other items work just fine, but I find it adds a little value to the limited "farming/gardening" aspect of the game to use fruit and pumpkins. Some people like to give fossils, others swear by the iron wall lamp trick. Just go with what feels right for you, but keep an eye on that item selling price before you hand over a present.

Just remember, every time you see bells as a return gift, you are postponing getting the desired photograph by a whole extra day!

Yeah, I'm aware of all those mechanics, but Raymond has consistently given me a furniture/clothing item back for each pumpkin I gifted him, so there's no need to give him 2 or 3 pumpkins (or just for the tiny added bonus that wrapping paper gives, but I'm honestly not bothered by not having it), one pumpkin works just fine. If I had seen he was giving me bells instead of an actual item, I wouldn't have persevered in that technique.

I used to do the iron wall lamp technique ages ago, and boy was it ever so resource-consuming. And I don't dig fossils up anymore, my fossil collection has been completed a long time so I'm hiding the holes behind the museum, lowkey even forgot they existed in the first place lol.
Truly, gifting non-native wrapped fruits/vegetables is just the best way possible, in my opinion. It's just that I can't be arsed wrapping them anymore nowadays :'D

So I'll get Raymond's photo when I'll get it. No rush. He's the last photo I need anyway so it's no big deal.

Last edited:

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, I'm aware of all those mechanics, but Raymond has consistently given me a furniture/clothing item back for each pumpkin I gifted him, so there's no need to give him 2 or 3 pumpkins (or just for the tiny added bonus that wrapping paper gives, but I'm honestly not bothered by not having it), one pumpkin works just fine. If I had seen he was giving me bells instead of an actual item, I wouldn't have persevered in that technique.

I used to do the iron wall lamp technique ages ago, and boy was it ever so resource-consuming. And I don't dig fossils up anymore, my fossil collection has been completed a long time so I'm hiding the holes behind the museum, lowkey even forgot they existed in the first place lol.
Truly, gifting non-native wrapped fruits/vegetables is just the best way possible, in my opinion. It's just that I can't be arsed wrapping them anymore nowadays :'D

So I'll get Raymond's photo when I'll get it. No rush. He's the last photo I need anyway so it's no big deal.
They changed the mechanics way back with the 1.4 update. Animals don't give bells back in exchange for a gift at all anymore, so that's why you haven't been seeing that. Along with that change, it also changed it to where a gift has to be worth at least 750 bells in order to have a chance to get a photo in return.

I mean you could still potentially get Raymond's photo from running an errand or doing a treasure hunt, but unless you're doing the full inventory method (where the animals have to mail you a present because your inventory is totally full when you gift them), a single pumpkin or non-native fruit will not result in getting a photo in return.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
They changed the mechanics way back with the 1.4 update. Animals don't give bells back in exchange for a gift at all anymore, so that's why you haven't been seeing that. Along with that change, it also changed it to where a gift has to be worth at least 750 bells in order to have a chance to get a photo in return.

I mean you could still potentially get Raymond's photo from running an errand or doing a treasure hunt, but unless you're doing the full inventory method (where the animals have to mail you a present because your inventory is totally full when you gift them), a single pumpkin or non-native fruit will not result in getting a photo in return.

Oh that's right, I had forgotten about that update. Well, I guess I have no choice but to go back to wrapping stuff then.

Oct 28, 2017

Ah, thank you! I knew they changed the mechanics in one of the updates, but I already moved to giving them stacks so I hadn't realized they won't give bells in return anymore!

I've also gotten a photograph from returning a lost item, was really surprised by that because I don't often give gifts to that villager.

Last edited:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So I was given this game as a Christmans gift and just started playing. I'm on day 3 and I'm enjoying it so far. I've only played the original on the Gamecube so I'm fairly new to many of the mechanics.

I am struggling with bells so far though, as it seems like I have to just grind fishing for an hour or two every time I want to make a sizable purchase. I've read that making a tarantula farm on a Mystery Island can be profitable, but then I noticed around April of last year a bunch of posts mentioning that it no longer works, or at least not very well. Is this because Nintendo patched the game and significantly reduced tarantula spawns, or because in April other bugs came into season and reduced tarantula spawn rate? Would this mechanic work now that it's January?

Are there any other bell making tips aside from just grinding something like fishing? I hit my money rock every day, and I've started planting money and non-native fruit trees. I think my museum opens up today, so that should be fun.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
So I was given this game as a Christmans gift and just started playing. I'm on day 3 and I'm enjoying it so far. I've only played the original on the Gamecube so I'm fairly new to many of the mechanics.

I am struggling with bells so far though, as it seems like I have to just grind fishing for an hour or two every time I want to make a sizable purchase. I've read that making a tarantula farm on a Mystery Island can be profitable, but then I noticed around April of last year a bunch of posts mentioning that it no longer works, or at least not very well. Is this because Nintendo patched the game and significantly reduced tarantula spawns, or because in April other bugs came into season and reduced tarantula spawn rate? Would this mechanic work now that it's January?

Are there any other bell making tips aside from just grinding something like fishing? I hit my money rock every day, and I've started planting money and non-native fruit trees. I think my museum opens up today, so that should be fun.

Your on the right path just keep grinding once you hit 1mil invest in turnips use https://turnip.exchange/ I found selling on other islands the fastest way to get bells.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is this because Nintendo patched the game and significantly reduced tarantula spawns, or because in April other bugs came into season and reduced tarantula spawn rate?
Both, I think.

Diving is lucrative if you avoid picking up plants. But really turnips are the way to become a bellionaire, which means you need online service and some friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.