• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I don't have the exact answer but I've seen the snowballs spawning a few times in my island as I logged in and out, hoping to catch dung beetles: They absolutely spawned always in pairs, not more than two screens away from each other, sometimes over a flower or pumpkin. Only three spots seem big enough for them to appear, and the smallest of them is clearly smaller than the plaza. Not sure why they aren't spawning for you, Tavernade
^ Took a picture to see how much space is needed for them to spawn.

EpC8b1qVoAIaRLc

Thanks you two! I took out a bigger flower bed and got them right away!

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, I personally don't play but my partner does. How would they go about getting one like Ozzie for their village? I've seen Reddit's dedicated to it.
There are 4 ways to get villagers.

1. They camp in your town (after you build a campsite). The specific villager that comes camping is RNG according to a few hidden mechanics.
2. You have an empty house plot and Nook sells it to a purely random villager out of the 374 or whatever the correct number of villagers is. Nothing you do can affect this.
3. You have an empty house plot and visit the temporary Nook Miles islands, each of which will have a random villager. You hold out until you get a koala and hope it's a koala you like (1/32 chance of koala).
4. You adopt a specific villager from another player - players can be found here, on twitter, on nookazon and other trading sites, reddit, etc. All you need is an empty house plot And for someone on the www to be giving away the right villager.

Currently I'm in northern hemisphere and have Melba, she's a koala. Species is not affected by hemisphere for availability.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Howdy, neighbors!

I have a fruit related question that I'm sure you've all talked about before, but I haven't been following these threads at all.

Is it at all possible to get all types of fruit without visiting other people's islands? Have any of you managed to do that, or at least get a couple of types of foreign fruit through non-online means? I don't really have any friends playing this game, and I've got so many cool crafting recipes that I'd like to try. So far I've only got my native peaches, cherries that my mom sent me, and coconuts from the mystery tour islands.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
In theory, over a number of years, maybe the RNG would give you other fruits via gifts from neighbors.

In practice, you need online service.
Ah, I see! Thanks for the information! It's good to know that there is some way to get everything, even if the chances are slim to none. Someone has reached out and offered to help, though, so perhaps I won't have to build a shrine to RNGsus just yet.

EDIT: Btw, about getting villagers: Wouldn't Amiibo cards be a fifth way to get villagers? I've invited my favourites from my first town on the GameCube to my New Horizons town that way.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Howdy, neighbors!

I have a fruit related question that I'm sure you've all talked about before, but I haven't been following these threads at all.

Is it at all possible to get all types of fruit without visiting other people's islands? Have any of you managed to do that, or at least get a couple of types of foreign fruit through non-online means? I don't really have any friends playing this game, and I've got so many cool crafting recipes that I'd like to try. So far I've only got my native peaches, cherries that my mom sent me, and coconuts from the mystery tour islands.

You can get one non-native fruit from islands, though I don't remember if they are the same type as your mother sends you. They're rarer than normal island fruit though.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
You can get one non-native fruit from islands, though I don't remember if they are the same type as your mother sends you. They're rarer than normal island fruit though.
It might be the same mom sends you, or I might have really bad luck, 'cause I think I've only seen peaches and cherries while visiting the islands. A couple of months back I basically spent a day doing nothing but traveling to mystery islands, looking for fruit and bugs and stuff, but never found anything mindblowing.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I had to cut two trees to have enough room for the snowballs, but it isn't a big deal since I can just regrow them later. Also thanks to YouTube, I know how to make a perfect Snowman. Although, I only have enough space for two at a time.

Feb 18, 2020
California
So far so good on the winter DIY collecting. Got all the snowflake DIYs and have made two perfect snowboys and got some good DIYs from them. Now to wait for a couple days and start hunting the festive DIYs haha.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Nobody knows the exact condition for the last Nook phone milestone thing right? Still don't have it after casually playing up until now mostly just catching bugs and fish. I saw something that said 1000 uses but man you'd think I'd be on that by now. 1000 times opening the menu? 1000 times opening any app? Specific apps? Just a pain, I want to open up all the milestones on the board with New Year's imminent.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cleared some space on my campsite area and finally got the snowballs. Just caught the dung beetle. All bugs have finally been captured 😄

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Was this problem with villagers not displaying wreaths introduced with the latest update? I've had 30+ villagers and never had this happen before.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Are dung beetles especially rare? Spent some time this morning running in and out of my house to change spawns and up to check the snowballs, but no luck so far. Just wondering how much time I'm going to have to put into this last bug I need, haha...

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe try getting rid of the custom path on top and some of the furniture pieces below.

Also the clothes hanger on top.

Oct 26, 2017
Just a random "am I the only one?" question. Anyone else just swap their socks when they get a change your outfit quest but enjoy what you're already wearing? XD

Nov 25, 2019
I'm so disappointed with the Snowflake series. The same happened with the Summer Shell series, and I hoped it would never repeat but...

Just a random "am I the only one?" question. Anyone else just swap their socks when they get a change your outfit quest but enjoy what you're already wearing? XD
I used to do that at the beginning all the time haha.

Is this really not big enough? It's the biggest empty area on my island. :/ Maybe layout changes only have an effect the next day.
Did you close/restart your game after clearing the area? I think the snowballs won't load again after that (except if you crushed/lost them). Maybe you already have the snowballs hiding on some flowers?

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
Not going to to lie I found building the perfect snow boy rather difficult especially with all the trees on my island.

EpIxqfhUUAAxAnD

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe try getting rid of the custom path on top and some of the furniture pieces below.

Also the clothes hanger on top.
Did you close/restart your game after clearing the area? I think the snowballs won't load again after that (except if you crushed/lost them). Maybe you already have the snowballs hiding on some flowers?
I removed the paths and all the furniture, closed and reloaded the game three times, entered and exited several buildings, checked my big flower field and the rest of the island, and no snowballs anywhere. Maybe tomorrow.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I removed the paths and all the furniture, closed and reloaded the game three times, entered and exited several buildings, checked my big flower field and the rest of the island, and no snowballs anywhere. Maybe tomorrow.
You need open grassy areas with no flowers.
The snowballs will load on a reload if you have a big enough space.

waiting for tomorrow won't change your results.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks, I kept removing things and reloading and lo and behold:

EpI4V13VEAAuDkc

So to save anyone with a fully decorated island some time: you need to clear an area of at least 10x6 tiles for snowballs to spawn. That's when they spawned for me at least.

Last edited:

mnk

Nov 11, 2017

Flowers shouldn't be a problem. One of my snowballs this morning spawned on top of a flower (and it was part of a 3x3 patch of flowers).

This is the area they spawned in (and then I rolled them down a bit to form the snowboy).
BJD7YJO.jpg

ceL3UaM.jpg

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Was this problem with villagers not displaying wreaths introduced with the latest update? I've had 30+ villagers and never had this happen before.
Yo, I just had this happen with both Cyd and Ribbot last week. They both have the square metal door, so I was wondering if it was related to that, but I definitely noticed the issue.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Flowers shouldn't be a problem. One of my snowballs this morning spawned on top of a flower (and it was part of a 3x3 patch of flowers).
They are a problem if your town literally has no grass and it's all planted with flowers. I've thrown away many shovels worth of hybrids these past 3 days.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
They are a problem if your town literally has no grass and it's all planted with flowers. I've thrown away many shovels worth of hybrids these past 3 days.
I generally have to comb over my whole island every time it rains / snows so they don't pop up where I don't want them. I've let them go before and it just ended in a lot of work later. 😭

mnk

Nov 11, 2017

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm. Guess I have to remove more flowers and junk on my island as I can't seem to get snowballs to spawn at all. :/

Dec 2, 2019
I generally have to comb over my whole island every time it rains / snows so they don't pop up where I don't want them. I've let them go before and it just ended in a lot of work later. 😭
Make a completely transparent tile and put it on the ground where you don't want the flowers to spawn.

To do this, use the color on the extreme right. Not the white one, or you'll place white tiles, of course. This way the ground won't change visually, but flowers won't reproduce like rabbits!

Also...

EpJmkDWVoAAuLX6

Yes, YES!!!

This was almost totally unexpected from the 1/64 special red roses, but thankfully I though it was a good idea to try with them.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Make a completely transparent tile and put it on the ground where you don't want the flowers to spawn.

To do this, use the color on the extreme right. Not the white one, or you'll place white tiles, of course. This way the ground won't change visually, but flowers won't reproduce like rabbits!
That's actually a really good idea. Sounds like a ton of work, though.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, what the FUCK is with the snowboy bullshit? I cannot make an acceptable one to save my life. Everything else in this game is easy as shit. There's no reason this should be so fucking infuriating.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, what the FUCK is with the snowboy bullshit? I cannot make an acceptable one to save my life. Everything else in this game is easy as shit. There's no reason this should be so fucking infuriating.
Just do the path strat, it's not worth the headache (or the lost materials) to just try and legit your way into perfect Snowboys every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.