• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
I do enjoy that kind of customization. I think I'm gonna give it a try.

I've read that the villagers interactions in this game aren't as good as the previous ones, is that true or just the internet exaggerating?
Kind of true, they don't really seem to have as many random things to say as previous games. However, what they say is often context dependent. They have more special dialogue for things that are currently happening than just random day to day interactions, but you have to actively pursue those bits of dialogue. When I say "things happening", I mean anything from having a meteor shower that night, having a special guest around on your island, the current weather, the current season, the current time of day, current or upcoming holidays, why they're awake out of "scheduled" times for their personality type, what they're currently physically doing (sitting, napping, hobby related things, fishing, bug catching, etcetera). The list goes on. There was even special dialogue for them using sparklers during those Sunday nights in August that just happened, which tickled me mightily.

Another factor to consider is that the animal neighbors have generally become nicer with each successive game, which a lot of series veterans do not like at all. Personally I do not see the appeal of paying Nintendo 60 bucks to then be treated like garbage by the characters who are supposed to be my friends, but to each their own.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I hate how this game tends to just end chats with neighbors

like they'll ask if they look good in this outfit, but then the dialog just ends with no ability to answer

I guess it's supposed to be a prompt for me to pretend I answered them or respond with a reaction? Use my imagination to fill in the blanks to make a more meaningful conversation?

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of true, they don't really seem to have as many random things to say as previous games. However, what they say is often context dependent. They have more special dialogue for things that are currently happening than just random day to day interactions, but you have to actively pursue those bits of dialogue. When I say "things happening", I mean anything from having a meteor shower that night, having a special guest around on your island, the current weather, the current season, the current time of day, current or upcoming holidays, why they're awake out of "scheduled" times for their personality type, what they're currently physically doing (sitting, napping, hobby related things, fishing, bug catching, etcetera). The list goes on. There was even special dialogue for them using sparklers during those Sunday nights in August that just happened, which tickled me mightily.

Another factor to consider is that the animal neighbors have generally become nicer with each successive game, which a lot of series veterans do not like at all. Personally I do not see the appeal of paying Nintendo 60 bucks to then be treated like garbage by the characters who are supposed to be my friends, but to each their own.

I see. That's seems to be an improvement overall. I guess as long as the dialogue is still funny and full of personality, I don't care if they are mean or not. But it would be interesting to have at least a couple of them be jerks lol

One of the only things I remember about my previous experience with the game was Tom Nook basically blackmailing me about calling his people to beat me up if I didn't pay the debt (which he forced me to contract). That was hilarious lol

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
the GCN neighbors were just outright cruel and I don't want to go back to being wary every time I talked to one that they'd berate me and then force me to give them an item I happened to have in my inventory

Nov 25, 2019
So I've been thinking about getting this game, but I have tried to play AC on the DS before and couldn't get into it. At the time, I felt like there wasn't much to do in the game, the little empty town felt a little depressing, and I just dropped it.

That was a long time ago, though, so I'm thinking about giving the series another go. This game could totally be my jam since I love stuff like Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley, and I thought the DS game had funny and charming characters.

Do you guys think it's worth a try or I'll probably get the same impressions I did with the DS game?

Also, I don't have and don't plan to get an NSO subscription, is that gonna hinder my experience in any meaningful way? I usually don't care about online exchanges in games, I'd only miss it if they were truly integral to the experience.
The comparison of villager "interactions" from previous games vs NH is usually not given the whole picture. Previous games apparently have much more dialogue (or different ones?) and there are some activities missing (like Hide & Seek, inviting them to your house and purchasing objects from their houses). However, NH gave the villagers much more activities to do around on its own, which many people dismiss as "Instagram-bait".

The "GaaS" model of NH has also been criticized, since many things that fans considered a "staple" of the series were not on the game at the release date. Many things keep being added through seasonal updates, but you can also grow tired of waiting for them. This is where a lot of the "the game lacks content" criticism is focused along with the fact that there are hundreds of items missing from previous entries. On the other hand, even with all the stuff that is missing at the moment, you can find tons of things to do- previous ones like filling your critterpedia, getting all flower hybrids, filling up your museum (which is fantastic btw) and finding your dream neighbors/collecting tons of photos (with this game giving you many QoL tools to achieve that goal). On the new side of things, there's the terraforming, crafting and outdoor decoration mechanics. You can get a ton of enjoyment and hours from those tools if you are into them.

Regarding NSO, it is "necessary" in order to fill your catalogue and to do some activities (like dreaming), but it won't really hinder your experience. For example, you get a native fruit for your island and then you'll have access to another fruit ("sister") and coconuts through Mystery Islands. Afterwards, it's all luck/almost impossible to get the remaining 3 fruits- which means you'll be unable to craft some items that require them. Some furniture is also "color-locked" when you buy it at Nook's Cranny and the only way to get other colors is through RNG of balloons/vilager gifts. You could probably coordinate with someone to nab a free 7-week trial and trade everything you could need at any point, tho.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
The comparison of villager "interactions" from previous games vs NH is usually not given the whole picture. Previous games apparently have much more dialogue (or different ones?) and there are some activities missing (like Hide & Seek, inviting them to your house and purchasing objects from their houses). However, NH gave the villagers much more activities to do around on its own, which many people dismiss as "Instagram-bait".

The "GaaS" model of NH has also been criticized, since many things that fans considered a "staple" of the series were not on the game at the release date. Many things keep being added through seasonal updates, but you can also grow tired of waiting for them. This is where a lot of the "the game lacks content" criticism is focused along with the fact that there are hundreds of items missing from previous entries. On the other hand, even with all the stuff that is missing at the moment, you can find tons of things to do- previous ones like filling your critterpedia, getting all flower hybrids, filling up your museum (which is fantastic btw) and finding your dream neighbors/collecting tons of photos (with this game giving you many QoL tools to achieve that goal). On the new side of things, there's the terraforming, crafting and outdoor decoration mechanics. You can get a ton of enjoyment and hours from those tools if you are into them.

Regarding NSO, it is "necessary" in order to fill your catalogue and to do some activities (like dreaming), but it won't really hinder your experience. For example, you get a native fruit for your island and then you'll have access to another fruit ("sister") and coconuts through Mystery Islands. Afterwards, it's all luck/almost impossible to get the remaining 3 fruits- which means you'll be unable to craft some items that require them. Some furniture is also "color-locked" when you buy it at Nook's Cranny and the only way to get other colors is through RNG of balloons/vilager gifts. You could probably coordinate with someone to nab a free 7-week trial and trade everything you could need at any point, tho.

Okay, thanks for the info! I guess Im gonna play for a bit and decide if its worth it to buy NSO just for this game, since i never bother with online multiplayer.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
EhpKWFDUwAULfPw

Will they, Flick? Will they really?

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
They really have to change how Redd works. He's had nothing but fakes the last two times he showed up for me. And the time before that he had one real piece that I already had, so I basically haven't been able to add any art to my museum in two months. At this rate I'm just gonna time travel to get the art because otherwise it'll take years to get them all.

Nov 25, 2019
They really have to change how Redd works. He's had nothing but fakes the last two times he showed up for me. And the time before that he had one real piece that I already had, so I basically haven't been able to add any art to my museum in two months. At this rate I'm just gonna time travel to get the art because otherwise it'll take years to get them all.
Unfortunately, you have been extremely unlucky, the chance of getting 4 fakes is only 10% and the game even has a roll of 20% to bring a guaranteed *new* artwork on the "real" slot. Have you received artwork from your villagers?

I think they like the idea of Redd selling all fakes and they won't ditch that but because RNG is gonna RNG and people can get unlucky, they can still update so the "4 fakes" chance is only 5% or 1%. Thankfully Redd is now coming 2 times a month at least. If I get a repeated artwork, I can let you buy it so you can make some progress.

Korosenai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hate how this game tends to just end chats with neighbors

like they'll ask if they look good in this outfit, but then the dialog just ends with no ability to answer

I guess it's supposed to be a prompt for me to pretend I answered them or respond with a reaction? Use my imagination to fill in the blanks to make a more meaningful conversation?
My biggest complaint with the game is the lack of any villager dialogue or real connection to anyone living on your island. I want more in depth conversations or things to do with them. Instead its just the generic one to two sentences and then move along. It's why I really don't care if someone leaves my island or not.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, you have been extremely unlucky, the chance of getting 4 fakes is only 10% and the game even has a roll of 20% to bring a guaranteed *new* artwork on the "real" slot. Have you received artwork from your villagers?

I think they like the idea of Redd selling all fakes and they won't ditch that but because RNG is gonna RNG and people can get unlucky, they can still update so the "4 fakes" chance is only 5% or 1%. Thankfully Redd is now coming 2 times a month at least. If I get a repeated artwork, I can let you buy it so you can make some progress.
Yup, I got a statue from Beardo.... fake. And a painting from Big Top... fake.

I think the biggest problem is that Redd only shows up twice a month, whereas in New Leaf he showed up pretty much every week since there were I believe 6 people in the potential visitor pool. If they gave Leif, Kicks, and Label their own stores like they should have months ago then collecting art wouldn't be so annoying.

Nov 25, 2019

I think the biggest problem is that Redd only shows up twice a month, whereas in New Leaf he showed up pretty much every week since there were I believe 6 people in the potential visitor pool. If they gave Leif, Kicks, and Label their own stores like they should have months ago then collecting art wouldn't be so annoying.
Smug villagers like Beardo will always send fakes. I guess they are easily fooled lol

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever get weekly Redd. They seem to be fine with a 2-week rotation, and if Leif/Kicks/Label get added to existing stores, they may introduce new visitors to keep the cycle.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone happen to have those tall floor lamps with shades? Also looking for tall standup plants and stuff for restaurant furniture etc if anyone has some stuff they can spare

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

If you don't care about time travel, you can keep him around until you finish your gallery. Just change the clock to the day before or after he's there and then sync the time again. He always resets his stock. Rinse and repeat.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Are they like going to update this game ever again? Leif, Redd, Pascal (with swimming), and to a much lesser extent Luna (yawn) haven't been enough to really sustain this game, imho.

Coriander

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I've read that the villagers interactions in this game aren't as good as the previous ones, is that true or just the internet exaggerating?

The everyday chit-chat of the villagers can get repetitive. Just like the everyday chit-chat I have with my real-life neighbors, to be honest.

But then late one night I had Papi approach me and, although he'd previously been content yammering on about food and the bugs in his house, he began speaking eloquently about eraser dust, using it as a philosophical metaphor in a way that has haunted me ever since. Seriously. I was left with my jaw hanging in a way that no villager in any previous Animal Crossing game has managed.

Oct 25, 2017
anyone have a complete fossil they don't need...looking for something cool to display in front of my museum. Also looking for some of those glowing mushrooms? Not sure the name exactly but saw them on someones island.

Last edited:

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
anyone have a complete fossil they don't need...looking for something cool to display in front of my museum. Also looking for some of those glowing mushrooms? Not sure the name exactly but saw them on someones island.

The mushrooms are Mush Lamps. They're a DIY that's available in November - Northern hemisphere.

Jan 10, 2019

I have quite a few complete sets in my inventory, feel free to let me know which one(s) you'd like the most. I'll be on later today.

You had to restart your island, right? I just got rid of a ton of spare DIY's but I have another 10 or so laying around if you like.

Oct 28, 2017
I can't seem to find my Sunday visitor. Only Daisy May.
Daisy Mae is the Sunday visitor. You get random visitors Monday through Friday, K.K. on Saturday, and Daisy Mae on Sunday. If there's a Fishing Tournament or Bug Off on Saturday, K.K. will appear on Sunday too, but if there's a holiday on Sunday (such as Bunny Day), he'll appear on Monday instead. There's also special rules for your birthday if I recall correctly, but mine isn't until mid-February.

The way things are now, you're guaranteed to see all of the special visitors at least two times a month. Way better than before the patch that fixed the schedule. For the record they are C.J., Flick, Label, Kicks, Saharah, Lief, Gulliver, Gullivarr, and Redd. Gulliver and Gullivarr will never appear on back-to-back days, and I think C.J. and Flick may be guaranteed the week of their respective tournaments, but those seem to be the only special rules regarding the random nine visitors.

Wisp and Celeste have different rules. Wisp I believe shows up at least on Sunday nights after 8pm and has a chance to reappear after 8pm on other nights. Celeste can appear after 8pm depending on the weather (Meteor Shower or Shooting Stars), but will not appear if K.K. is in town even if there's a Meteor Shower.

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Daisy Mae is the Sunday visitor. You get random visitors Monday through Friday, K.K. on Saturday, and Daisy Mae on Sunday. If there's a Fishing Tournament or Bug Off on Saturday, K.K. will appear on Sunday too, but if there's a holiday on Sunday (such as Bunny Day), he'll appear on Monday instead. There's also special rules for your birthday if I recall correctly, but mine isn't until mid-February.

The way things are now, you're guaranteed to see all of the special visitors at least two times a month. Way better than before the patch that fixed the schedule. For the record they are C.J., Flick, Label, Kicks, Saharah, Lief, Gulliver, Gullivarr, and Redd. Gulliver and Gullivarr will never appear on back-to-back days, and I think C.J. and Flick may be guaranteed the week of their respective tournaments, but those seem to be the only special rules regarding the random nine visitors.

Wisp and Celeste have different rules. Wisp I believe shows up at least on Sunday nights after 8pm and has a chance to reappear after 8pm on other nights. Celeste can appear after 8pm depending on the weather (Meteor Shower or Shooting Stars), but will not appear if K.K. is in town even if there's a Meteor Shower.

Thanks you would think that I would have noticed no other visitors showing up on Sunday as I have been playing daily since launch, but apparently not.

Vibbon

Jan 22, 2018
DFW Area, TX
is what pascal gives you predetermined? I've only gotten four recipes since the update came out & I think I'm just going to start save-scumming...

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
is what pascal gives you predetermined? I've only gotten four recipes since the update came out & I think I'm just going to start save-scumming...
He'll randomly give you recipes, clothing, or pearls. The latter two could be duplicates, but he won't give you a Mermaid DIY you already have from my experience.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone happen to have 10 purple Windflowers I could have? I don't need the plants themselves, just the flower parts for a recipe.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So what are y'all doin to keep the endgame fresh? I've lost all interest in the museum and am basically re-doing the layout of my island in preparation for Halloween/Fall

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Does Celeste not show up on Sunday? I haven't had her on my island in forever, and despite having a meteor shower tonight, she's still not around.

She can show up on Sunday. If you have multiple showers in a week (even light ones that you don't notice) she will pick one random day, but she will favor a heavy shower over a light shower.

EcAa6U0WsAMKljy

Oct 25, 2017
I have quite a few complete sets in my inventory, feel free to let me know which one(s) you'd like the most. I'll be on later today.

You had to restart your island, right? I just got rid of a ton of spare DIY's but I have another 10 or so laying around if you like.
I restarted back at around the endish of June but I managed to find a fossil but ty anyway :)

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
She can show up on Sunday. If you have multiple showers in a week (even light ones that you don't notice) she will pick one random day, but she will favor a heavy shower over a light shower.

EcAa6U0WsAMKljy
So Celeste is definitely a guaranteed once per week, right?
I need to keep checking every day because i still haven't seen her or gotten the Virgo harp recipe from her.

Speaking of recipes, my birthday was on the first, and at first i didn't realize that there was a recipe that Isabelle will give you during the daily announcements. I went on my second character and she sent it to that one. But now, 13 days later...i still haven't gotten the recipe from Isabelle, from balloons or washed up on the beach. Am i doomed to never get it or what? Is there any other new recipes that were added with the new season?

Status
Not open for further replies.