• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I haven't played in 3 months. what have i missed? i played to the point where i felt there was nothing left to do.

with all the seasonal stuff are they gonna be updating the game for a year post launch and then all that content repeats every year? i mean, do i need to suffer Bunny Day again next year as it was this year? i only played a bit of New Leaf so not really familiar with the AC games until New Horizon came out.

Jan 10, 2019
Still about 75 spare DIY's to clear out, come get 'em and feel free to shop! DIY's are all to the right side of the airport.

Spare DIYs by jazzneversleeps | Animal Crossing Item and Villager Database - VillagerDB

View Spare DIYs, a list by jazzneversleeps containing 56 items

If anyone happens to have any clothes that I could catalog from my remaining wishlist, that'd be phenomenal!

Clothing Wishlist by jazzneversleeps | Animal Crossing Item and Villager Database - VillagerDB

View Clothing Wishlist, a list by jazzneversleeps containing 19 items

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Still about 75 spare DIY's to clear out, come get 'em and feel free to shop! DIY's are all to the right side of the airport.

Spare DIYs by jazzneversleeps | Animal Crossing Item and Villager Database - VillagerDB

View Spare DIYs, a list by jazzneversleeps containing 56 items

If anyone happens to have any clothes that I could catalog from my remaining wishlist, that'd be phenomenal!

Clothing Wishlist by jazzneversleeps | Animal Crossing Item and Villager Database - VillagerDB

View Clothing Wishlist, a list by jazzneversleeps containing 19 items

[Hidden content]
Ohh, nice! You actually have some of the DIYs I've been needing. I'll bring over a few of your wishlist items too.

EDIT: nevermind! don't have time rn but if you still need some of those items on your wishlist tomorrow just let me know.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019
Ohh, nice! You actually have some of the DIYs I've been needing. I'll bring over a few of your wishlist items too.

EDIT: nevermind! don't have time rn but if you still need some of those items on your wishlist tomorrow just let me know.

Let me know which ones you need, I'll keep 'em on the side for you if you like! I'd love to catalog those clothes anytime, thanks!

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
So YouTube recommended this video of someone starting afresh. Reading the comments I see some people mentioning that they also started with a new island or are contemplating that move over dissatisfaction with their current island. Some comments show the dark side of perfectionism and failing to live up to their own standards or in comparison with other islands. I'm curious if any of you feel the pressure of perfectionism.

You can play this game in different ways. What is a "perfect" island for one player can be a mess for another player. Some people spend hundreds of hours decorating and terraforming an island that looks amazing in tours but is a nightmare for actually playing the game. If my island looks great but I need to grab my ladder or jump over water every ten seconds, it's a terrible island for my play style.

For me, AC is first and foremost a simulation of cozy town/island life with a bunch of speaking animals, not a town builder. So, anything that's form over function is a no go for me. I've watched a couple of tours of crazy islands and what stood out to me is that you never see the villagers anywhere. It's because they can't move due to all the cliffs, narrow paths and rivers. That goes completely against what AC is to me. Every spot needs to be accessible to my villagers. That's why my island is simple and open so I can play the game efficiently (do my daily gift runs, catch some bugs/fish, check stores and visitors as quickly as possible) and my villagers can go everywhere. Other players don't care about villagers or bugs and fish, so their "perfect" island will be different from mine.

"Perfect" can be a completely barren empty field or a crazy terraformed island. It depends on individual playstyles. I don't like the placement of my airport or resident services, and I'd like to have a huge rock area on my beach, but I would never restart because of that. I just don't care enough. I can collect villager photos and catch bugs on my island just fine. My point is, just make your island for yourself. Don't compare to others who might play the game differently from you.

This looks really good. I kind of like the vibe of the storage room. Feels rather authentic for houses That are slightly bigger than you need in everyday life.
Thanks. Yeah, it's the room where I put things that I like that don't really fit anywhere. Not an uncommon thing in many people's houses in real life. :)

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
So YouTube recommended this video of someone starting afresh. Reading the comments I see some people mentioning that they also started with a new island or are contemplating that move over dissatisfaction with their current island. Some comments show the dark side of perfectionism and failing to live up to their own standards or in comparison with other islands. I'm curious if any of you feel the pressure of perfectionism.

I hope the next AC game gives more control over island layout to keep people from going off the deep end.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

I feel like my island is a constant WIP. But I kinda like it that way? I have ideas to better it, but I'm taking my time to execute them. Sometimes they turn out great, sometimes they turn out just OK. But yeah overall I try not to rush that, because I don't want to end up hating my island for never living up to my expectations. It's fine if it's always a bit messy, and never finished, but it's mine, and there are parts that I genuinely love so much.

I'm nowhere near as talented as the many islands I've seen being praised, there are mad landscaping skills displayed in those, but also it's fine, I always wanted my island to retain its original natural identity, and the feeling of natural messiness that it started as. I like the natural look it gives my island in the end, it's not polished, it's far from finished, but it's mine.

Also, despite looking nowhere remotely near any of those top YouTube islands, my niece is still genuinely amazed and in love with it every time she comes visit, and that's honestly the only approval I'm looking for here.

Last edited:

Foov

Oct 25, 2017
Question - how often does Celeste visit in a month on average? I feel like if I'm lucky I'll see her twice.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Question - how often does Celeste visit in a month on average? I feel like if I'm lucky I'll see her twice.

She's visits every week as long as there are even small meteor showers in that week. If there are multiple, she'll pick one of the nights. If there's a big shower, it will be that night 100%.

And you probably have way more small showers than you realise. This month alone I have them on the 4th, 6th, 7th, 10th, 15th, 17th, 25th, and 31st.

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
You can play this game in different ways. What is a "perfect" island for one player can be a mess for another player. Some people spend hundreds of hours decorating and terraforming an island that looks amazing in tours but is a nightmare for actually playing the game. If my island looks great but I need to grab my ladder or jump over water every ten seconds, it's a terrible island for my play style.

For me, AC is first and foremost a simulation of cozy town/island life with a bunch of speaking animals, not a town builder. So, anything that's form over function is a no go for me. I've watched a couple of tours of crazy islands and what stood out to me is that you never see the villagers anywhere. It's because they can't move due to all the cliffs, narrow paths and rivers. That goes completely against what AC is to me. Every spot needs to be accessible to my villagers. That's why my island is simple and open so I can play the game efficiently (do my daily gift runs, catch some bugs/fish, check stores and visitors as quickly as possible) and my villagers can go everywhere. Other players don't care about villagers or bugs and fish, so their "perfect" island will be different from mine.

"Perfect" can be a completely barren empty field or a crazy terraformed island. It depends on individual playstyles. I don't like the placement of my airport or resident services, and I'd like to have a huge rock area on my beach, but I would never restart because of that. I just don't care enough. I can collect villager photos and catch bugs on my island just fine. My point is, just make your island for yourself. Don't compare to others who might play the game differently from you.

Thanks. Yeah, it's the room where I put things that I like that don't really fit anywhere. Not an uncommon thing in many people's houses in real life. :)
I hope the next AC game gives more control over island layout to keep people from going off the deep end.
I feel like my island is a constant WIP. But I kinda like it that way? I have ideas to better it, but I'm taking my time to execute them. Sometimes they turn out great, sometimes they turn out just OK. But yeah overall I try not to rush that, because I don't want to end up hating my island for never living up to my expectations. It's fine if it's always a bit messy, and never finished, but it's mine, and there are parts that I genuinely love so much.

I'm nowhere near as talented as the many islands I've seen being praised, there are mad landscaping skills displayed in those, but also it's fine, I always wanted my island to retain its original natural identity, and the feeling of natural messiness that it started as. I like the natural look it gives my island in the end, it's not polished, it's far from finished, but it's mine.

Also, despite looking nowhere remotely near any of those top YouTube islands, my niece is still genuinely amazing and in love with it every time she comes visit, and that's honestly the only approval I'm looking for here.

It made me realise that you always bring your personality to a game. And I feel for the people who were looking for a relaxing game experience only to see perfectionism creep in.

As for me. I see room for improvement all the time, but it doesn't frustrate me. I'm in for the long journey and looking forward for months of collecting, tweaking, building, tearing down again and building something better.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't played in 3 months. what have i missed? i played to the point where i felt there was nothing left to do.

with all the seasonal stuff are they gonna be updating the game for a year post launch and then all that content repeats every year? i mean, do i need to suffer Bunny Day again next year as it was this year? i only played a bit of New Leaf so not really familiar with the AC games until New Horizon came out.
Unless there are some drastic changes to the overall AC holiday formula, Bunny Day will indeed happen again next year as will the other holidays that have been added/will be added.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Some of those "perfect" islands are amazing, but they must be a nightmare to actually try to play the game - dead ends everywhere, cliffs only reachable by ladder, having to hop across large areas, stuff all over the ground everywhere, etc... I haven't seen one yet that made me want to remake mine in their image. I respect the amount of work put into them.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
I'm curious how the fireworks work. Will I be able to watch my fireworks and then pop over to my kid's islands and watch their fireworks? Do they go on all night?

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some of those "perfect" islands are amazing, but they must be a nightmare to actually try to play the game - dead ends everywhere, cliffs only reachable by ladder, having to hop across large areas, stuff all over the ground everywhere, etc... I haven't seen one yet that made me want to remake mine in their image. I respect the amount of work put into them.

I try my best to combine form and functionality, personally, but heavily emphasize on functionality - I only have a few spots that are specifically made for decoration only. That said, I've been thinking of reworking my island's layout significantly (spreading out my residents' houses to give them yards, while also trying to reduce the weird framedrops around my shops), so maybe form will take over. But, I still try to keep space for everything that I could possibly want, and potentially future content as well (e.g. what is currently a flower field of excess hybrids is dedicated for vegetables if they come out).

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Dream Suite would make me rethink a lot of my island, but it hasn't. If anything I'm happier with it.
I did like "Cannibal Island" a lot though. LOL

DA-4088-8875-3480

Start in the white house and then follow the train tracks.

For a friendlier island, mine is: DA-5842-2369-8664

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded some custom designs from other players with the kiosk and made a mushroom path for my forest-y section of my island, and then I decided to download some more to work on other areas......little did I know that replacing custom designs with new ones overwrites the old ones on the island itself....my mushroom path was ruined! I had to do it all over again. Jfc Nintendo add more space for custom designs, this shit's not hard.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded some custom designs from other players with the kiosk and made a mushroom path for my forest-y section of my island, and then I decided to download some more to work on other areas......little did I know that replacing custom designs with new ones overwrites the old ones on the island itself....my mushroom path was ruined! I had to do it all over again. Jfc Nintendo add more space for custom designs, this shit's not hard.
Gotta say, I saw a lotta dicks while looking though those custom patterns.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Thanks! My score was 174k. My basement filled with DIYs and bugs and fish for Flick and CJ. I guess I could get a higher score if I started working on that. Yes, I have stuff in other rooms...

Bedroom (no, I don't donate art to the museum, I just put it in my house or decorate the island with it :D):
Eea5w6WUcAMJ42u

Insane scientist's laboratory. Yeah, it's not supposed to be a laboratory, I just have no idea what to do with this room yet, so for now it's just storage. Very messy storage, lol:
Eea5w6aU4AAyKxe

The basement ... I'd rather not show.
Oh nice. That bedroom is very pretty. :)

If you really wanted to get a higher score, you could start completing furniture sets in your rooms, and having the same color for those sets. But I think that would take away from the aesthetic you have going. That's probably also why the HHA gold trophy score is kinda low at 150k.

I have an HHA score of 266k with full furniture sets in most rooms, matching colors, etc, and some of the rooms feel wayyy too packed. They lost their individuality at some point as I chased the high score.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I think that would increase the replay value of future installments is having the ability change different island layouts same as you would with a wand for clothing.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
I'm the same way. I designed my island to make it easy to access important points from different directions. I have a lot of paths that don't require you to change any direction to traverse 50+% of the island.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Does anyone find that Redd is appearing more often lately? Been picking up a few paintings in recent times.

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019

While everybody has a good time in the plaza, I cower in fear...
... he lives. He's hungry. I must flee.

It may not come out well via twitter, we got Sinistar in the skies. An ill omen, indeed.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Currently have every bug and fish I can currently get... save for the blasted cicada shell. I hope I can get one by the end of the month, but I've literally never seen one since they've started showing up and I've been playing routinely the past month. :X

Any tips? Is there a specific time of day they're more likely or a specific Nook Miles island to go to? Thanks, all!

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Currently have every bug and fish I can currently get... save for the blasted cicada shell. I hope I can get one by the end of the month, but I've literally never seen one since they've started showing up and I've been playing routinely the past month. :X

Any tips? Is there a specific time of day they're more likely or a specific Nook Miles island to go to? Thanks, all!

Same here. I'm also having a tough time getting some of those palm tree stags too like like the golden one. They seem rare as hell.

I've also been trying to catch the giant trevally off the pier since May. lol

Last edited:

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
I've spent the past 3 days completely redesigning my island - every house and building has been moved, each river completely re-scaped, every bridge torn down and rebuilt (sometimes more than once, because oops it's off by one space!). Now I need to come up with a decorating plan, and do something about the overwhelming number of flowers that are still around. Pretty proud of it so far, but it has required a lot of time and effort. Not to mention money - I've burned through over 2 million bells in total.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So how do the custom fireworks work? We gave Isabelle 3 custom designs but have only seen 1 in like 10 minutes.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh and does anyone want to visit my fiancé's dream island? It's pretttty cool

DA-4669-0207-6948

I thought the Dream Suite would make me rethink a lot of my island, but it hasn't. If anything I'm happier with it.
I did like "Cannibal Island" a lot though. LOL
DA-4088-8875-3480
Start in the white house and then follow the train tracks.

For a friendlier island, mine is: DA-5842-2369-8664

Your island is super nice!

Last edited:

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I managed to catch the cicada shell on a Nook Miles island!

Same here. I'm also having a tough time getting some of those palm tree stags too like like the golden one. They seem rare as hell.

I've also been trying to catch the giant trevally off the pier since May. lol

I don't know if this had anything to do with it or it was just a placebo effect, but before I went on yet another hunt for the cicada shell, I improved the feng shui of my house. I know that supposedly helps in getting luckier with getting furniture and bells, but perhaps it helped me get lucky with finding rarer bugs? Maybe it'd do the same for you? It wouldn't hurt regardless! I hope you're able to find your missing catches!

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I managed to catch the cicada shell on a Nook Miles island!

I don't know if this had anything to do with it or it was just a placebo effect, but before I went on yet another hunt for the cicada shell, I improved the feng shui of my house. I know that supposedly helps in getting luckier with getting furniture and bells, but perhaps it helped me get lucky with finding rarer bugs? Maybe it'd do the same for you? It wouldn't hurt regardless! I hope you're able to find your missing catches!

I didn't even know what feng shui was until you mentioned it.. lol

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Feng Shui is one of those features of Animal Crossing that the first game really really liked pointing out and then later games just kept making it more and more of a hidden feature until NH just flat out doesn't bother to let the player know it even exists

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't even know what feng shui was until you mentioned it.. lol

Haha It's been in past Animal Crossing games, but if this is your first, it's totally understandable why you're unaware of it.
Essentially, it's putting specifically colored furniture on specific sides of each room of your house, and that grants you better luck in finding rarer furniture among other things. Yellow on the left, green on the bottom, and red on the right.

This was the guide I looked up tonight to help me.

game8.co

Feng Shui Color and Effects Guide | ACNH - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)|Game8

**Feng Shui** in Animal Crossing: New Horizons encourages you to use the right [red]color[/red] pairs and combinations to improve your Happy Home Academy score!

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Feng Shui is one of those features of Animal Crossing that the first game really really liked pointing out and then later games just kept making it more and more of a hidden feature until NH just flat out doesn't bother to let the player know it even exists

I only knew of its existence from a letter from the Happy Home Academy once or twice on a Sunday when they scored my house.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Interesting, but now I have to redecorate. :(

I think I'll go tour some more nook miles islands since I usually just search on my own island.

Status
Not open for further replies.