• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
Help guys, I'm going insane. I'm trying to complete my fish collection and I can't get a fucking char. I've given up on that one pier fish but other than that, I never had a problem and the char doesn't look to be that rare. But somehow, I can't get one. I've just spent an hour looking for it at a mystery island and a lot more on my island. Hilltop river between 4 and 9 PM, is there a problem with that fish or am I just incredibly unlucky?

I seem to have better luck catching rare fish when it's raining. Could be a placebo effect, but maybe try again during a storm?

Oct 25, 2017
Bob, the only one on my island who has given me his picture, the one whom I must have the most friends points with, asked me about leaving today when there is another person on the island who I don't talk to or fuck with and who took a net to the noggin multiple times after he stepped in my way and cost me one last bug at the buzzer during yesterday's Bug Off, who has never done so.

When this game so clearly shows that it doesn't give a fuck about what I'm actually doing in my day-to-day gameplay is when I question why I'm playing every day.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
Marina has the move-out bubble so I'm going to wait until it shifts to just about any other villager on my island. I like a lot of them but I've got photos from everyone except the two newest (Muffy and Audie). I've had Ribbot and Puck from the early days and really want to cycle them both out. I've also come to the conclusion that Wolfgang is "alright" but I can get a better wolf and better cranky. Plus I have Octavian and apparently can't bring myself to let the Octopi go. I've got Zucker too lol and he ain't going anywhere.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Help guys, I'm going insane. I'm trying to complete my fish collection and I can't get a fucking char. I've given up on that one pier fish but other than that, I never had a problem and the char doesn't look to be that rare. But somehow, I can't get one. I've just spent an hour looking for it at a mystery island and a lot more on my island. Hilltop river between 4 and 9 PM, is there a problem with that fish or am I just incredibly unlucky?
Just to clarify, the hours are 4 PM and 9AM. And it's definitely one of rarer fish. According to Ninji's datamining It has a 1% chance of spawning:
docs.google.com

Fish Spawns

River (Northern) Jan 9a-4p,Jan 4a-9a 4p-9p,Jan 9p-4a,Feb 9a-4p,Feb 4a-9a 4p-9p,Feb 9p-4a,Mar 9a-4p,Mar 4a-9a 4p-9p,Mar 9p-4a,Apr 9a-4p,Apr 4a-9a 4p-9p,Apr 9p-4a,May 9a-4p,May 4a-9a 4p-9p,May 9p-4a,Jun 9a-4p,Jun 4a-9a 4p-9p,Jun 9p-4a,Jul 9a-4p Angelfish,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,3,3,0,3,3,0...

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
I do understand that, though if you're looking to complete the Nook Miles stamps, you'll have to wait at least half a year now (if you can go to a Southern island), or until next June Bug Off in a year. Not sure that's the kind of patience that brings joy. :D
I'll probably still be playing this game in half a year, started terraforming my island 2 weeks ago and barely did anything.
But I agree that there's stuff which isn't aware of people's time, which logically would force people to do extra steps.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Just to clarify, the hours are 4 PM and 9AM. And it's definitely one of rarer fish. According to Ninji's datamining It has a 1% chance of spawning:
docs.google.com

Fish Spawns

River (Northern) Jan 9a-4p,Jan 4a-9a 4p-9p,Jan 9p-4a,Feb 9a-4p,Feb 4a-9a 4p-9p,Feb 9p-4a,Mar 9a-4p,Mar 4a-9a 4p-9p,Mar 9p-4a,Apr 9a-4p,Apr 4a-9a 4p-9p,Apr 9p-4a,May 9a-4p,May 4a-9a 4p-9p,May 9p-4a,Jun 9a-4p,Jun 4a-9a 4p-9p,Jun 9p-4a,Jul 9a-4p Angelfish,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,3,3,0,3,3,0...
Okay, then I'm not just unlucky. The guide I used said it was "uncommon" and I thought something needs to be wrong here. 1%... oh well

I seem to have better luck catching rare fish when it's raining. Could be a placebo effect, but maybe try again during a storm?
It's been raining since like forever for me haha, today's fishing session was also done during a storm, so no luck there.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
Bob, the only one on my island who has given me his picture, the one whom I must have the most friends points with, asked me about leaving today when there is another person on the island who I don't talk to or fuck with and who took a net to the noggin multiple times after he stepped in my way and cost me one last bug at the buzzer during yesterday's Bug Off, who has never done so.

When this game so clearly shows that it doesn't give a fuck about what I'm actually doing in my day-to-day gameplay is when I question why I'm playing every day.

yeah it's annoying. I had to give up Agnes because my roster had been the same for like a month and a half and none of the worst villagers seem to want to leave. But I have gotten lucky and now my newest villagers are Diane and Zucker

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

First, if that villager was the most recent one to move in, they will never ever get the moving-out prompt. That is hardcoded in the game.
Second, ignoring or bullying a villager, as you've clearly experienced, is no guarantee they get the prompt if they're capable. I mentioned it in the previous OTs, and even in the OP of this one: The difference of % chance between being great friends and having minimal points with a villager for the purpose of the moving-out prompt is so absolutely negligible, that it's simply not worth it missing out on DIYs, gifts (including real artwork, out-of-season clothes and non-native colour variants of furniture) that it's simply not worth it.

If you want to get rid of that villager you don't like, there's tips in the OP.

And, it's not "the game not giving a fuck", I believe that a lot of these mechanics are safeguards for islands that have multiple players on them, and just in general. Apparently in New Leaf, villagers could just up and leave without you giving your consent, meaning you could lose your favourites without having any input. And that also seems to have been a mechanic that was very much despised by the fans.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That was a mechanic for a long time, since the original Gamecube Animal Crossing.

I'd be genuinely upset if that happened to me. I could invite the lost villager(s) always back via amiibo, but if I didn't have those, I'd hate that mechanic so much.
Honestly I'd rather take undesirable villagers being a bit more difficult to be rid of - though the campsite makes it also easier - than beloved villagers just bailing without as much as a peep.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Strange question. A friend was going to send me a fireplace from her catalog and when she goes to send it, it's only letting her choose to send to the one other person on her island. The list for online friends doesn't even show up. Anyone know what's up with that?

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Strange question. A friend was going to send me a fireplace from her catalog and when she goes to send it, it's only letting her choose to send to the one other person on her island. The list for online friends doesn't even show up. Anyone know what's up with that?

Your friend most likely has not activated the Friends app in the game. To do that, she will have to talk to Orville and let him open the gates for friends. You both then will have to meet in-game (doesn't matter whether you visit her, she visits you or both of you visit the same third party island) so the game registers you as AC friends.

It's dumb, but that's how it works.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Bug-Off was kind of annoying. I got to 300 on the fishing tourney but just did enough yesterday to get one of each of the prizes and the first trophy. Couldn't be bothered after that.

The best part of the day? This:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be genuinely upset if that happened to me. I could invite the lost villager(s) always back via amiibo, but if I didn't have those, I'd hate that mechanic so much.
Honestly I'd rather take undesirable villagers being a bit more difficult to be rid of - though the campsite makes it also easier - than beloved villagers just bailing without as much as a peep.
Yeah, it was definitely a big complaint of mine with the older games. Especially because I'd finally gotten villagers I really wanted. RNG mechanics are fine sometimes, but it sucks when you have to rely on them alone.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, do the buried bells stop appealing? I've logged in every day since the day after release and dug them up, but I've not seen any since Thursday or Friday.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
That was a mechanic for a long time, since the original Gamecube Animal Crossing.
Not only that, but you also had no say in which new villager moved in or where their house was placed. Did you spend hours working on that flower garden or orchard? Too bad! It's gone now because a new house is in that spot.

And I hate to admit it, but there was some value in the experience of the game being able to surprise you at any time, and not having the ability to micromanage every aspect of your town. It was more exciting in a way that this game is not.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Not only that, but you also had no say in which new villager moved in or where their house was placed. Did you spend hours working on that flower garden or orchard? Too bad! It's gone now because a new house is in that spot.
Holy shit, yes. That was so annoying. The rate at which weeds popped up in those days was pretty crazy, too.

I do hope they bring back Gyroids, though. I would love to make a little Gyroid garden or something. 😂

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Is anyone by any chance up for bug contest? I was busy all day yesterday and missed out so I decided to go back and play Saturday today. I'm assuming just like the fishing, two people or more working together will achieve faster results.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
My current roster I was originally going to replace Roald with Zucker but I can't let him go he's my only starter villager I still have I really grown to like the dude. I know some of you guys let your starter villagers go because the there house interiors but really his doesn't really bother me.

mYDAPjB.png

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My current roster I was originally going to replace Roald with Zucker but I can't let him go he's my only starter villager I still have I really grown to like the dude. I know some of you guys let your starter villagers go because the there house interiors but really his doesn't really bother me.

mYDAPjB.png

It should though, because unlike the shitty generic basic wooden furniture, Roald's real house is amazing:
latest

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
why did the internet flip for Raymond when Sherb was right there

he's so feckin cute

While I don't disagree and Sherb is the GOAT (goat of all time), I definitely can see the appeal of Raymond. He's a cat (already inherently popular species), the first smug one to boot, he's got a pretty cool design, and while Sherb also is one of the new villagers without a card, so is Raymond. Plus I guess people like the house being an executive's office. He's basically hipster business cat.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
While I don't disagree and Sherb is the GOAT (goat of all time), I definitely can see the appeal of Raymond. He's a cat (already inherently popular species), the first smug one to boot, he's got a pretty cool design, and while Sherb also is one of the new villagers without a card, so is Raymond. Plus I guess people like the house being an executive's office. He's basically hipster business cat.
is he seriously the first smug cat? my new leaf knowledge is weak but wasn't Rudy smug?

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
wow, his popularity makes a lot of sense then.

hot (or actually pretty cool at this point) take, I know it was an intensive game to develop but new horizons really could've used two more personality types

Personally while I wouldn't say no to more, I think 8 is fine, but here's my hot take:
I think they should have made personality types non-gender specific. I feel like the dialogue is neutral enough to be adapted for either gender, throw in a few gender-specific dialogue options and variety would be a lot more interesting. Chief as a male snooty or Charlise as a female jock would've made a lot of sense.
They also have changed the personality types of villagers before - Dobie apparently used to be lazy, but now he's cranky. Which is even weirder because now wolves don't even have a lazy type.

This game also would've been the perfect opportunity to introduce a couple new species. I would've loved like, a weasel species (including ferrets, martens and minks or something), or bats, or rats, or aquatic animals beyond frogs.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Personally while I wouldn't say no to more, I think 8 is fine, but here's my hot take:
I think they should have made personality types non-gender specific. I feel like the dialogue is neutral enough to be adapted for either gender, throw in a few gender-specific dialogue options and variety would be a lot more interesting. Chief as a male snooty or Charlise as a female jock would've made a lot of sense.
They also have changed the personality types of villagers before - Dobie apparently used to be lazy, but now he's cranky. Which is even weirder because now wolves don't even have a lazy type.

This game also would've been the perfect opportunity to introduce a couple new species. I would've loved like, a weasel species (including ferrets, martens and minks or something), or bats, or rats, or aquatic animals beyond frogs.
yeah, I've wanted dialogue to be categorized with overlap for a while now. so, like you said, a main set of dialogue for each personality type could be supplemented by secondary traits like gender and species.

as for species, it'd be a little awkward since NoA canonized Tom Nook as a raccoon in the west, I'd obviously adore some legit western raccoon villagers

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
rather than new personalities, I want more species

- Otter
- Parrot
- Crab
- Lizard

And for them to fill out the neglected species like Octopus (with a squid, cactus, robot tank and nautilus)

Add female lions

Remove gendered personalities, so we can have female crankies, female lazies, male peppies, etc

And to go wild with model changes to make entire new species using base archetypes, like a platypus built off a duck, a gerbil built off a hamster and archaeopteryx built off a hawk

They should try and make sure every species has at least 1 character of every personality

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
I think if they add too many new villagers at once, people would almost rather nuke their island and start from scratch to have a better chance of getting them. I don't think they'd want people to feel like that's an incentive.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Un-gendering the personalities would go a long way. Could do a big realignment afterward to help balance the roster, too--uchis are in short supply and a number of designs for the existing jocks, crankies, lazies could fit in with an "older sibling" personality, for example.

But yeah I could also use a couple new species like New Leaf did. Bats plz

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I think if they add too many new villagers at once, people would almost rather nuke their island and start from scratch to have a better chance of getting them. I don't think they'd want people to feel like that's an incentive.
They did that for New Leaf when they added a bunch of new villagers. They basically encouraged you to nuke your town and rewarded you for doing so.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

the original Animal Crossing had a few old man lazies. Sven was another one. I think the lines for ages in the original game were a little blurry, since there's quite a few crankies that aren't particularly old looking, as well.

Dobie works a lot better as a cranky anyway, especially in New Horizons where crankies are just old men and not particularly mean or cranky. Sven would likely also be changed to cranky if they brought him back

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Just got the golden trophy from HHA.

Do they give subsequent rewards every week, or can I nuke my house design without caring?

Oct 25, 2017
First, if that villager was the most recent one to move in, they will never ever get the moving-out prompt. That is hardcoded in the game.

Well, that's not true. Goldie was my most recent villager to move in, and she asked me about leaving. Meanwhile, Knox still walks around here not asking me to move out already.

Second, ignoring or bullying a villager, as you've clearly experienced, is no guarantee they get the prompt if they're capable. I mentioned it in the previous OTs, and even in the OP of this one: The difference of % chance between being great friends and having minimal points with a villager for the purpose of the moving-out prompt is so absolutely negligible, that it's simply not worth it missing out on DIYs, gifts (including real artwork, out-of-season clothes and non-native colour variants of furniture) that it's simply not worth it.

It's worth it to me not to have to talk to Knox. He sucks. I can always get that stuff eventually over time...as long as I don't get irritated enough with the game to want to stop playing. I'm not there, but stuff like this sucks.

I think that the difference of % chance being so thin between the two extremes is a bad choice on the part of the design team, by the way. It really doesn't reflect the way that I've played the game! That sort of dissonance doesn't feel great!

If you want to get rid of that villager you don't like, there's tips in the OP.

Yes, I've seen them.

And, it's not "the game not giving a fuck", I believe that a lot of these mechanics are safeguards for islands that have multiple players on them, and just in general. Apparently in New Leaf, villagers could just up and leave without you giving your consent, meaning you could lose your favourites without having any input. And that also seems to have been a mechanic that was very much despised by the fans.

When the game ignores how I'm playing it when prompting which villagers ask about leaving, it's definitely not giving a fuck about what I'm actually doing. I'm cool with changing the mechanic from New Leaf as it worked, but this isn't an either/or dichotomy. The system needs more tweaking if this is how it works as of now.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, that's not true. Goldie was my most recent villager to move in, and she asked me about leaving. Meanwhile, Knox still walks around here not asking me to move out already.

You must either be remembering wrong or have had a bug, because the most recent move-in is hardcoded and 100% confirmed via datamine to not be supposed to get that prompt.

I can't really say much else in relation to the rest of the post.

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
You must either be remembering wrong or have had a bug, because the most recent move-in is hardcoded and 100% confirmed via datamine to not be supposed to get that prompt.

I can't really say much else in relation to the rest of the post.

I've had Goldie, Stitches and Sprocket leave and they were the most recent villagers to move in everytime. Goldie and Stitches were Amiibo card move ins and they didnt stay very long. As i have the cards I didnt mind them leaving. I think the game asked Cole to leave too when i had Blaire in the campsite too.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Your friend most likely has not activated the Friends app in the game. To do that, she will have to talk to Orville and let him open the gates for friends. You both then will have to meet in-game (doesn't matter whether you visit her, she visits you or both of you visit the same third party island) so the game registers you as AC friends.

It's dumb, but that's how it works.

It was actually even more dumb than that. She'd never sent anyone a postcard, which is a prerequisite for sending gifts from the catalog.

Bovine

Oct 29, 2017
I have a question. I want to transfer Merengue to my brother's town, if I use an amiibo card to force her into boxes, can my brother still recruit her to his island?

Status
Not open for further replies.