• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm excited for this. Not only does the mermaid set look great, but I'm happy to see more stuff for the aquarium (the tropical tank in particular looked sad with everything bunched up in the right corner).

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wonder what the August update will be. They didn't even tease it like they did for Leif.

must not have been done in time for July, I guess, so they had to break it into 2 updates.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Had Tank move out the other day, and he left behind the Dreamy Sweater that Marina had given him in that lost and found box, which is kind of sad.

Today Freya moved in randomly and recognized me from when she used to live on the island of a friend of mine. Crazy how some little details are programed in.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
there's gonna be some random crustacean that only spawns in the middle of the night in June and we're all going to have to wait an entire year to fill up our Aquariums...

Oct 26, 2017
Had Tank move out the other day, and he left behind the Dreamy Sweater that Marina had given him in that lost and found box, which is kind of sad.

Today Freya moved in randomly and recognized me from when she used to live on the island of a friend of mine. Crazy how some little details are programed in.

she probably came from the "void". The void is weirdest thing I've discovered about this game.

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds weird, can you elaborate?

Here's an article that touches on it.

www.polygon.com

Why Animal Crossing fans fear ‘the void’

It’s only slightly existential

Basically unless someone comes to your island and invite a villager in boxes to their island the villager leaves and floats around in what people call the void. If a person has an empty plot of land that isn't filled then the next day the game will fill it for them and will likely pull a villager from their void. "Their void" because every player has a void made up of moved out villagers from friends' islands and islands they have visited in the past.

So the Freya that moved to your island used to live on a friends island or an island you visited and entered your void waiting for an empty plot of land.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts

www.polygon.com

Basically unless someone comes to your island and invite a villager in boxes to their island the villager leaves and floats around in what people call the void. If a person has an empty plot of land that isn't filled then the next day the game will fill it for them and will likely pull a villager from their void. "Their void" because every player has a void made up of moved out villagers from friends' islands and islands they have visited in the past.

So the Freya that moved to your island used to live on a friends island or an island you visited and entered your void waiting for an empty plot of land.
Huh, that's crazy. That particular friend was the only one with Freya and I had (semi-jokingly) called him out on removing her so it's funny for it to have worked out that way. I guess I coulda ended with any number of unwanted villagers, huh?

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
So excited for the Mermaid Furniture! Wonder what Pirate Gulliver's deal is...

Nov 25, 2019
I got Mathilda's photo yesterday! 3/10 photos for me.

I also got gifted a new pair of joy-cons and it is a game changer haha My mom will appreciate them while they last.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Gotta admit that the mermaid furniture looks damn good. But I was excited about gardening again, guess it's not coming that update, maybe in the August one then? We'll see.

Fantomex

Oct 25, 2017

www.polygon.com

Thank you for this. I was wondering why my friends Walt moved in to my island, I was pissed. I now have the reason it happened. I have a plot of land open right now, so you bet I'm going to visit some islands and choose a good villager. Walt and Shep are bar none some of the worst residents in the entire franchise. One is a lame boring, grouch. The other is a pretentious, slacker with trust funds.

Anyways, I can't wait to deep dive into that Ocean. Girls on twitter already going crazy over that Sea Furniture. I'mma be trading like a madman.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wonder if there's a pirate furniture set like in New Leaf that Gulliver will give out this time. That would be cool since I already have the wallpaper and flooring. I'll miss doing whatever normal Gulliver want me to do though.
I don't think regular Gulliver is going anywhere. This is probably just an alternate Gulliver to get a different bunch of furniture

Wouldn't be surprised if space man Gulliver visits eventually as well

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for this. I was wondering why my friends Walt moved in to my island, I was pissed. I now have the reason it happened. I have a plot of land open right now, so you bet I'm going to visit some islands and choose a good villager. Walt and Shep are bar none some of the worst residents in the entire franchise. One is a lame boring, grouch. The other is a pretentious, slacker with trust funds.

Anyways, I can't wait to deep dive into that Ocean. Girls on twitter already going crazy over that Sea Furniture. I'mma be trading like a madman.

If you think Walt, who is a cool scarred yakuza kangaroo, and Shep, who's maybe a slightly boring but otherwise inoffensive sheepdog, are among the worst in the series, you really haven't delved into the list of villagers.

Fantomex

Oct 25, 2017
If you think Walt, who is a cool scarred yakuza kangaroo, and Shep, who's maybe a slightly boring but otherwise inoffensive sheepdog, are among the worst in the series, you really haven't delved into the list of villagers.

First. Thank's for pointing out that my opinion and feelings over a character that is supposed to be subjective requires me to have a different understanding. But honestly, I've explored plenty. Played every single Animal Crossing game. Even Pocket Camp. Currently we have 3 switches at the house with copies for each user. They are 2 of the worst characters in all of Animal Crossing. We've seen more than enough.

Walt
The father you never wanted. Stale, unseasoned potato salad with something dumb like raisins in it.
angry-father-3.jpg

Shep
This dude literally stopped me while i was walking, just to tell me that he was too busy to talk. You see, he's going to maybe get into acting or become an artist. His family comes from money. Everyone is gonna be so proud of him. He's just so good at everything. Bro you stopped me wtf? lol. The quote that got him booted from my island " I don't know much about art, per se, But I know a lot about pretending to know a lot about art". Yeah I develop UI and Graphics for a living. Go be a hipster/leech somewhere else you pretentious douchenozzle.
BHPquh7.jpg

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Mmmmm, new content. I need it.

I hope diving/swimming eventually leads to discovering hidden places. I feel like that's a natural extension of the ability, and it would be super cool.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First. Thank's for pointing out that my opinion and feelings over a character that is supposed to be subjective requires me to have a different understanding. But honestly, I've explored plenty. Played every single Animal Crossing game. Even Pocket Camp. Currently we have 3 switches at the house with copies for each user. They are 2 of the worst characters in all of Animal Crossing. We've seen more than enough.

Walt
The father you never wanted. Stale, unseasoned potato salad with something dumb like raisins in it.
angry-father-3.jpg

Shep
This dude literally stopped me while i was walking, just to tell me that he was too busy to talk. You see, he's going to maybe get into acting or become an artist. His family comes from money. Everyone is gonna be so proud of him. He's just so good at everything. Bro you stopped me wtf? lol. The quote that got him booted from my island " I don't know much about art, per se, But I know a lot about pretending to know a lot about art". Yeah I develop UI and Graphics for a living. Go be a hipster/leech somewhere else you pretentious douchenozzle.
BHPquh7.jpg

It kind of amuses me you accuse a villager of being a pretentious douchenozzle when you are being the most pretentious douchenozzle I've seen on this forum.
The fact there is a villager who is pretty overt blackface, one that is less overtly blackface, one that has pubic hair on full display, several with colour palettes that look like someone barfed over them, several with gross facial hair...

Just from the top of my head I can think of at least a dozen villagers who are so, so much worse than Walt and Shep. Also, sidenote, every smug villager has that kind of dialogue, it's not unique to Shep.

Fantomex

Oct 25, 2017
It kind of amuses me you accuse a villager of being a pretentious douchenozzle when you are being the most pretentious douchenozzle I've seen on this forum.
The fact there is a villager who is pretty overt blackface, one that is less overtly blackface, one that has pubic hair on full display, several with colour palettes that look like someone barfed over them, several with gross facial hair...

Just from the top of my head I can think of at least a dozen villagers who are so, so much worse than Walt and Shep. Also, sidenote, every smug villager has that kind of dialogue, it's not unique to Shep.

I think we should take something as silly as this to DM's if you wanna continue and as to not derail the thread. I called a fake pixel like character a douchenozzle, and yet you've just called me, an actual person a douchenozzle. Do you see the difference? It's ok to like different things, it's ok to hate different things. It's ok to have different opinons.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
I think we should take something as silly as this to DM's if you wanna continue and as to not derail the thread. I called a fake pixel like character a douchenozzle, and yet you've just called me, an actual person a douchenozzle. Do you see the difference? It's ok to like different things, it's ok to hate different things. It's ok to have different opinons.

Not sure what other word would be good to describe someone who goes on a giant rant about a bunch of "pixels" as if they personally shit on your mom or something, all because said pixels used stock dialogue shared by dozens of other characters in the game.

Fantomex

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what other word would be good to describe someone who goes on a giant rant about a bunch of "pixels" as if they personally shit on your mom or something, all because said pixels used stock dialogue shared by dozens of other characters in the game.

Aren't these characters based on personalities that basically evoke something in the player? Are their personalities not meant to do that, you know make you love, hate or be indifferent about them? I think that's the main reason they all have different traits right? Maybe you and him can bring me up to speed on this thread. Because in the Pokemon and ARMS threads, there is valid criticisms and compliments as well depending on how the game is doing. Is this thread just to show love and not be negative about anything? I'm asking because your post history is almost identical to his. It's just Animal Crossing 24/7. If this thread is just about saying awesome things then I'm in the wrong thread and apologize.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
Aren't these characters based on personalities that basically evoke something in the player? Are their personalities not meant to do that, you know make you love, hate or be indifferent about them? I think that's the main reason they all have different traits right? Maybe you and him can bring me up to speed on this thread. Because in the Pokemon and ARMS threads, there is valid criticisms and compliments as well depending on how the game is doing. Is this thread just to show love and not be negative about anything? I'm asking because your post history is almost identical to his. It's just Animal Crossing 24/7. If this thread is just about saying awesome things then I'm in the wrong thread and apologize.

Lol I'm not gonna waste time arguing with someone clearly here to troll, and someone clearly willing to ignore where we mentioned actual "valid criticisms" of the game above (e.g., comments about characters in blackface), because he wants to paint a particular picture of victimhood.

Instead, I'll just say this: next time you want to get stalky, do it better maybe? Red's post history on the -first- page shows stuff beyond "animal crossing 24/7," so literally nothing you're saying is really all that true. Beyond maybe the fact that yeah, I think you're right: you're wasting your time here.

Fantomex

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I'm not gonna waste time arguing with someone clearly here to troll, and someone clearly willing to ignore where we mentioned actual "valid criticisms" of the game above (e.g., comments about characters in blackface), because he wants to paint a particular picture of victimhood.

Instead, I'll just say this: next time you want to get stalky, do it better maybe? Red's post history on the -first- page shows stuff beyond "animal crossing 24/7," so literally nothing you're saying is really all that true. Beyond maybe the fact that yeah, I think you're right: you're wasting your time here.

Not once did any of you retort why Shep or Walt were good and had positive traits? You just went to other characters that I've had zero interactions with and said they were worse. Which seeing the details by googling, I agree. I'm not here to troll, promise. I just really had bad vibes with those 2 over others. I didn't like Canberra or Elvis, but saw they also had awesome traits. Canberra was funny and Elvis was kinda regal. But hey,thanks for the giving resetera an inclusive community and thread! alvmew Neogaf would be proud.

To those that felt I killed the vibe, my sincerest apologies. This should be a happy place. I personally can't wait for the swimming and being able to interact with Pascal. Enjoy the upcoming update. I'll stick to acpocketnews
595439-AnimalDivings.jpg

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Watch as Gulliver 2 takes one of the 2 visitor slots and it's possible to get Gulliver AND Gulliver 2 in the same week
Well, surprise! Pirate Gulliver gives you real artwork you don't have.

Mon - Leif
Tue - Saharah
Wed - Kicks
Thur - CJ
Fri - KK

worst week ever ~.~
Yeah, I got...
Mon - Kicks
Tue - Leif
Wed - Saharah
Thur - Flick
Fri - KK

Only one of the 5 random rotations visitors. :/ I guess with the Bug-Off on Saturday, KK comes early.

Bedraggle

May 6, 2020
This thread should be a place were people can get into the goings on on their islands and reasons why they like or dislike villagers. Its boring if it's just 'here's what i want to catalogue/my islands open if you want to see Celeste' all the time.

Frobert's moving out of my island today. Goodbye boring boy

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
People can have emotional attachments to villagers and insulting them for kicks isn't always gonna come across as some neutral thing. Regardless the blackface-y villagers are objectively the worst and should be acknowledged as such. No two ways about it no matter who Cookie shared a letter with back in your school days

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Walt and Shep are some of the best in their respective personality pools.
"bar none some of the worst residents in the entire franchise" is just such a bizarre thing to say!
You look at Walt and you see which personality he has. He has a great calm color scheme and an interesting expression. The cranky voice fits him well and the dialogue too.
Shep's design is also very down to earth compared to other villagers. He's a dog with natural colors. The smug personality doesn't show in a pic but as soon as he talks you know it's the perfect personality for that design. He's my second fav smug villager because his surprised face and him wearing glasses makes me smile every time.

Everything Fantomex said was about the personality and well, it shows that looks makes quite a difference after all. Elvis and Walt are the same except for how they look and one is the worst in the franchise and one had awesome traits, even tho Walt is at worst nothing special looks wise. As has been said, he's not blinding to look at, not offensively designed and doesn't have scary demon eyes or huge lips or anything else that people usually react badly to. I guess I can see why people could think he's a bit bland due to that but come on, haha.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really have an emotional attachment to either Walt (though I think the grizzled yakuza design look he has makes him much cooler than a lot of other cranky villagers), let alone Shep, who I think is just very plain and one of the less interesting smug villagers (tho I do like that he's a sheepdog, which is unique among dog villagers). That's also why I don't understand why there was the demand for me to bring a dissertation as to why I think these villagers are good and had admirable traits, because that was never my claim. I specifically said that there's much worse than those two in my initial response.

I believe that you won't find me straight up objecting to any person saying they don't like a villager or expressing their disdain for certain personality types or even the lack of villager dialogue in general - at most I would go with something along the lines of "Aw really? I like that one a lot" or "Aw, that's a shame your experiences are bad, mine have been great!", but generally I will try to be helpful and advice people on how to get rid of these villagers they do not like if they express the desire as such if I say anything period.

The thing I was taking issue with was calling them "the worst bar none" when there is absolutely, objectively bad designs like Barold in the game that are so, so much worse than any villager that's just a plain design. And as said a few times, the writing is not tied to any particular character, it's tied to the personality. I understand if someone doesn't like the writing for certain personalities, I for instance do not like the abrasiveness of Sisterly types, but you can express that without acting like they shoved your grandma down the stairs.

And as Spyware points out, the dialogue between Walt and Elvis is identical so it seems weird to develop such utter vitriol towards one and praise the other one.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
(Actually Elvis and Walt are different subtypes but that affects like <1% of dialogue so)

Anyway I think the normals are pretty much all terrible. Generic "wholesome" designs as boring as their whole wheat toast personalities. Some people would push back on that, claiming that Marina is very cute because she's pink and also because she's pink and have I mentioned she's pink. Those people would be wrong. But I would be very wrong if I called her the worst like there aren't straight-up caricatures like Barold in the game

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
So far I've only disliked 2 of my villagers - Anicotti and Elvis. Anicotti just had a very ugly, boring design. I don't know why I didn't like Elvis... I think I just dislike cranky villagers in general. Pango was a weird one... I kinda liked her design(in a weird way), but was happy to see her go.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I think Shep's pretty cute, I definitely wouldn't be against hosting him for a while until I get his photo. His design is lovely and original, he looks comfy like a good pair of home slippers. Walt on the other hand, heh, hard pass.

At the end of the day, we all have villagers who came to squat on our island without an invitation, and that we didn't like much and maybe wanted to see gone ASAP (I was happy the day I got rid of Lionel aka the clearly republican bourgeois boomer I never want to see again), but at the end of the day, I do agree that the worst villagers are the ones emulating racial stereotypes, those are incredibly problematic and offending, and I wished they'd be gone, or reworked in a way that makes them... not caricatures anymore.

Also, sometimes you get villagers you don't like at first, but actually grow to love more than you think you would and then miss them when they're gone. Still thinking of you, Nate. I'm sad I didn't get his photo.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So far I've only disliked 2 of my villagers - Anicotti and Elvis. Anicotti just had a very ugly, boring design. I don't know why I didn't like Elvis... I think I just dislike cranky villagers in general. Pango was a weird one... I kinda liked her design(in a weird way), but was happy to see her go.

When Anicotti moved into my forced Peppy plot I was upset because I disliked her design. But I really warmed up to her, especially after seeing her real house on the island of another Era user - it's really really Italian. Like, as if the person who designed her house visited an Italian family home, haha. She was one of the very last of my non-amiibo villagers I moved out and was replaced by Flora only because of the starter house. If she had her original house, I wouldn't have brought in Flora as my peppy villager.

at the end of the day, I do agree that the worst villagers are the ones emulating racial stereotypes, those are incredibly problematic and offending, and I wished they'd be gone, or reworked in a way that makes them... not caricatures anymore.

I think Amelia is probably the most respectful of the villagers that are clearly meant to be ethnic. She's based on an Andean bird, doesn't wear a poncho or anything just a neutral sweater, and her house is a mountain range with a kilim rug and the furniture has some vaguely native styling (but generic enough to not be overt in it imo), and the house is playing KK Condor. If I didn't know the species of bird her design's based on, I never would've known she's meant to be Southern American.

Last edited:

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Yeah villagers like Ankha and Diana are some I have left without a second thought while touring. I can see why others like them but they are not for me at all. The looks are what sets villagers apart so that's pretty much all we can base our opinions of them on and we all have different tastes.
I love a whole bunch of villagers that others dislike (Chadder is great!) and I can see why people don't care for them. It's all good tho as long as no one goes into hyperbole mode. Every single villager has fans for one reason or another and that's fun and makes Animal Crossing super cool (except for Barold, that's not fun and cool, stop liking him).

Status
Not open for further replies.