• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Well, good news is that you can cancel moving a shop with Nook. Still hate that I have to move the tailor shop twice if I want to move it back one row because of the way the game handles this :(

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Peeps need to learn how to chum the water. It's a little extra setup, but if you're actively grinding for seasonal fish you should be doing it anyway and I haven't seen a solitary egg pop up from it. Still need to nab a snapping turtle, but everything else seasonal I could pull out of the water is taken care of and I have a room full of the majority of the egg stuff already to boot. After all, it's an event, shouldn't it be a goal in itself?

There's some mild annoyance to the egg spam, but if you're actually following proper grinding protocol it's not THAT bad.

Main thing that concerns me right now is that it might be making it harder for me to get the equally seasonal cherry blossom gear, but I can't tell if that's actually the case or just negative confirmation bias because everyone hates the eggs so much.
It's not even that, just imagine all the people who are just casual players dipping in for an hour trying to get Nook Stop set up and it taking them twice as long as anyone else who got the game because of all these fucking eggs everywhere.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, good news is that you can cancel moving a shop with Nook. Still hate that I have to move the tailor shop twice if I want to move it back one row because of the way the game handles this :(
another fun thing is that demolishing bridges or inclines takes a day and counts as a build, so if you want to move or upgrade one of those there goes two days and you can build nothing else.

Oct 25, 2017
another fun thing is that demolishing bridges or inclines takes a day and counts as a build, so if you want to move or upgrade one of those there goes two days and you can build nothing else.
That one I knew which is why I've built only the forced bridge and nothing else. I'm gonna sculpt my island as soon as I can and then start building things. Wish this didn't all seem so clunky.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Question: is it cool if I just leave stuff lying around outside? Clothes and wood and stuff? I'm out of space :p

•79•

Banned
Sep 22, 2018
South West London, UK
I started the game on Tuesday my first bridge was constructed this morning (along with the museum) how do I go about making a second bridge? My island is three land masses, a central island with an outer mass divided in to two One bridge isn't enough.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Christ, who designed the Island Designer stuff? It's some of the clunkiest shit I've dealt with in a game in years. Honestly takes like double the time it should because if you're not standing in exactly the right post you're just going to undo whatever it is you did last. And it's not like it's speedy without that issue anyway, laying a simple path takes ages. Don't even get me started on making ponds and how much of a pain in the arse it is trying to curve the edges without filling the whole thing back in again.
The entire game is a shitshow of QoL considerations for the players, to be honest. Why can't I go into Mabel's dressing room or my own wardrobe with a wand outfit? Why do I have to click through 6 different questions to visit someone's island? Why do I have to manually pull everything out to build DIY, but there's no way to pull a specific amount out, ensuring I'll have to put some materials back in? Why can't I select making multiples of an item at once? Why can I only buy 1 piece of clothing of a designated type at a time in Mabel's dressing room? And literally etc, etc, etc. - I'm barely at the tip of my complaints.

For my first AC, I'm having a blast. But I'm astounded that Nintendo has such an incredibly clunky, unfriendly game in one of their premier franchises.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got the terrafirming ability. I wanted to build a plaza like area in front of the museum but there is a green grass gap between the museun and the stone flooring. No way to fill the gap?

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I think I've settled on what villagers I want to round out my squad.

I currently have Shari (big sister), Buck (jock), Celia (normal), Ruby (peppy), Drago (lazy), Lionel (Smug), and Octavian (Cranky). I'm going to invite Diana (snooty), Bill (jock) and Bob (lazy).

Might replace Shari, Lionel, and Celia at some point. Shari and Lionel are growing on me (Lionel just said "You know what they say about fishing? Please tell me. I can't catch any."), but Celia is soo boring. I wish I had the Merengue amiibo card!

Oct 27, 2017
It's annoying that I only have two Sakura recipes, the Cherry blossom flooring and Sakura flooring. How do you guys get more, the fucking balloons are all Bunny Day related ;_;

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The entire game is a shitshow of QoL considerations for the players, to be honest. Why can't I go into Mabel's dressing room or my own wardrobe with a wand outfit? Why do I have to click through 6 different questions to visit someone's island? Why do I have to manually pull everything out to build DIY, but there's no way to pull a specific amount out, ensuring I'll have to put some materials back in? Why can't I select making multiples of an item at once? Why can I only buy 1 piece of clothing of a designated type at a time in Mabel's dressing room? And literally etc, etc, etc. - I'm barely at the tip of my complaints.

For my first AC, I'm having a blast. But I'm astounded that Nintendo has such an incredibly clunky, unfriendly game in one of their premier franchises.

Yup, yup, yup and yup.

There was a time in this series when fruit wouldn't stack. How far we've come. Yet there are still so many small user-unfriendly things!

It's annoying that I only have two Sakura recipes, the Cherry blossom flooring and Sakura flooring. How do you guys get more, the fucking balloons are all Bunny Day related ;_;

I believe I got one from a regular (red) balloon. Those still fly over quite regularly, and I don't think they drop holiday items.

By the way, red balloons usually seem to be recipes, yellow are bells, green furniture or clothes and blue resources. Though I think there's a chance you just get random stuff, except the yellow balloon that always seem to contain bells. I usually pass on blue ones now.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
South Hemisphere villagers, I have a question!
WHERE ARE MY AUTUMN TREES?

We don't have that in Brazil so it feels like the game is trolling me xO

Oct 25, 2017
Too many people, can't move.
Please excuse the mess with the bugs, waiting for flick to show up.
Celeste should be off to the left somewhere.

Got the wand recipe and a few more fragments to look out for.

Thanks once again :D

Edit Some of these limitations on the wand though. You mean i can't have a piece of clothing registered to different sets? Also the dressing room cant interact with a wand costume? 🤔

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017

AC has always been like that and I can only assume it's a thought out deliberate decision.

I would guess it's because the game is meant to feel like a slow paced interactive experience, rather than feeling like you're going through menus and numbers. This shows from the title screen, in which there's no menu and even settings are made of dialogue interaction.

Even though I also find it stupid and annoying at times, I'm sure there's an unconscious effect on players' experience.

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
I was using the acpatterns website but it looks like now they have to manually approve patterns which makes the selection incredibly limited. Does anyone know of another good site for custom patterns?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
AC has always been like that and I can only assume it's a thought out deliberate decision.

I would guess it's because the game is meant to feel like a slow paced interactive experience, rather than feeling like you're going through menus and numbers. This shows from the title screen, in which there's no menu and even settings are made of dialogues.

Even though I also find it stupid and annoying at times, I'm sure there's an unconscious effect on players' experience.

For me, any pretence of immersion in the experience is immediately lost when I have to grab 1 of a stack of 10 fruit for like 30 seconds, just to be able to separate 5. That kind of clunky stuff just takes me way out of it. Same for stuff like running in and out of the dressing room to get a piece of clothing in multiple colors. It's so obtuse. That is a lot more "gamey" to me than having a menu where I can choose to grab or craft X amount of items. I don't really get why the designers don't see it that way -- if it's all about more "natural" interfaces.

Nov 25, 2019
Hello everyone! I've finally made the decision and I'll be buying my first Animal Crossing later tonight! Hoping to enjoy it and that I can visit some of your islands and let you visit mine when I've made some progress!

From what I've read, the first two villagers are random, you can try to recruit favorites for the next three throught the mystery islands, the next one is campsite forced and for the final three you regain a bit of "control". Is that right? I'm kind of open to anyone being my first game, but I've already seen some designs that appeal to me.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I think in the mornings and early evenings the balloons all spawn on the east side and move westward. So camp down there and walk the coastline every few minutes. In the evenings/night they start to spawn from the west coast and move east, so start camping down there. You can catch them as they come in. You can also look up to see how the clouds are moving to guess which coast you should be on.

Regular balloons spawn every 5-10 minutes no matter what, and I read people saying its when the time ends in 4 or 9. So yeah the egg balloons seem to spawn so there's always 2-3 roaming on your island, it is very unbalanced.

Fwiw people talk about _4 and _9 but they don't really hit the beach to _0 or _5 anyway, so I feel like you can wait till then to run up and down for them.

Christ, who designed the Island Designer stuff? It's some of the clunkiest shit I've dealt with in a game in years. Honestly takes like double the time it should because if you're not standing in exactly the right post you're just going to undo whatever it is you did last. And it's not like it's speedy without that issue anyway, laying a simple path takes ages. Don't even get me started on making ponds and how much of a pain in the arse it is trying to curve the edges without filling the whole thing back in again.

I've been trying to think through why it's so wonky and I think it's the animation takes longer than it should before it restores control, maybe? Like I keep trying to move a square's worth of space, but it actually moves less since I started pushing the stick too early to actually be able to move. Though it also just does seem to consider where you're aiming weirdly to begin with.

My main issue is honestly that you can't put the path material on the edges of stuff, so there's just these weird gaps of grass everywhere for no reason instead of it being smoothly connected. Including the start of inclines, but not bridges, for some reason. And the weird handling of curves, where the order you break stuff matters yeah.

eliza0224

Oct 27, 2017
Is it wise to spend 350k (all of my current money) on turnips in sunday instead of paying off my mortgage?

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
For me, any pretence of immersion in the experience is immediately lost when I have to grab 1 of a stack of 10 fruit for like 30 seconds, just to be able to separate 5. That kind of clunky stuff just takes me way out of it. Same for stuff like running in and out of the dressing room to get a piece of clothing in multiple colors. It's so obtuse. That is a lot more "gamey" to me than having a menu where I can choose to grab or craft X amount of items. I don't really get why the designers don't see it that way -- if it's all about more "natural" interfaces.

I agree, but again I can only think it's deliberate for experience or accessibility's sake. It's too obvious and obtuse and it's been part of the series for too long for not to have been pointed out by play testing or comparing to other games in the genre.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone! I've finally made the decision and I'll be buying my first Animal Crossing later tonight! Hoping to enjoy it and that I can visit some of your islands and let you visit mine when I've made some progress!

From what I've read, the first two villagers are random, you can try to recruit favorites for the next three throught the mystery islands, the next one is campsite forced and for the final three you regain a bit of "control". Is that right? I'm kind of open to anyone being my first game, but I've already seen some designs that appeal to me.
Hello and welcome!

You're correct about the villagers. One more thing to note is that there are several personality types for villagers, and your first 6 are locked. The first two are Sisterly and Jock, the next three are Peppy, Normal, and Lazy, and the final one is Smug. After that it's totally open.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Damn, initially I found Bubbles annoying and wanted her to leave, but then she tells me she's going to leave to be a pop star and suddenly I didn't want her to go. It's easy to get attached to your villagers.

Doesn't help that I just finally got a full village.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
"Let me imagine it" for house plots is bullshit that it downs show a house, but the empty lot. I can't determine if I'm lined up if I'm trying to do next door neighbors. Now this looks like a tile or even 1/2 tile lower that the one next to it..

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Let me imagine it" for house plots is bullshit that it downs show a house, but the empty lot. I can't determine if I'm lined up if I'm trying to do next door neighbors. Now this looks like a tile or even 1/2 tile lower that the one next to it..

Got to put down patterns on the ground to get the truth in terms of lining things up

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I agree, but again I can only think it's deliberate for experience or accessibility's sake. It's too obvious and obtuse and it's been part of the series for too long for not to have been pointed out by play testing or comparing to other games in the genre.
While I don't disagree with you that it's a deliberate decision, I think it's also decidedly a miss. I'm not necessarily one of these people playing this game like it's a mobage, doing things like connecting everything in the first couple of days or whatever. I'm going pretty slow all things considered, but some of it just makes me mad. The things with Mabel's shop serve literally no purpose to the experience. The fact that I can separate inventory in my bag (albeit very very slowly) but not in my house inventory isn't even consistent. Like I said I barely even got started on my complaints, there's just so many. And while I'm not accusing you of it, I know a lot of it will be hand waved away as deliberate decisions or part of the experience, but truthfully I've got to say a lot of it is just bad decisions leading to bad experiences in a great game. And that sucks. I don't want to be able to speed run everything and I understand the pacing concerns, but sheeeeesh.

Mungan

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
About the golden tools

Got the golden slingshot, and after using it a while it broke. Was really hoping the golden tools wouldn't break :(

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Unlocked terraforming today and went kind of crazy with it. Spent my full lunch hour creating a museum district full of cliffs and waterfalls. Now I need to get to bamboo island so I can grab a ton of fully formed bamboo trees.

Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday Gulliver appeared on my island for the 3rd time. I talked to him and got one of his things from the beach, but I didn't have enough time to play. Now he's gone. Am I screwed?

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I get frustrated that fruit disappears if it falls off the tree and doesn't have a clear space to land hahahahaha I want my yard to have fruit trees but there's no way I'm positioning everything to have that much space, it will just make everything impossible to see

Status
Not open for further replies.