• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Unlocked terraforming today and I don't know how I feel about it. Paths are cool, but the larger stuff feels like a bit much to me.

I guess I'm wrestling with the fact that this AC feels like it has a total lack of permanence and that's kind of getting under my skin. It doesn't feel like I'm improving and building around an existing thing, it feels like I'm creating it wholesale, which is less immediately compelling to me. It's like the difference between building a treehouse, or cutting the tree down and building a house. They gave so much control to the player, even in regards to who lives in/leaves your village, where they live, where buildings are etc. that all of it feels like a theme park creation of an AC village, rather than a real AC village.

I'm hoping that now I can just kind of play it more naturally, the way I've always played AC, but I dunno. Something kind of snapped today when I walked over to a bend in my river that had been a slight inconvenience and just...got rid of it. I miss it now. I regret not just living with it.

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017
So I own 2 switch with digital copies. My wife plays on lite and I play on the primary offline, so she can play. Do I have to he online for the event to work or was it only to download some kind of update and that was it?

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I wasn't mentally prepared for the cherry blossoms, I'm supposed to be in Japan at the moment to see the real thing. It was sunset when I turned the game on too, it's so damn pretty.

Oh well at least they gave me an Easter egg hunt to keep me busy.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay seems you gotta spend a certain about at Cranny to update and also spend a certain amount plus buy a certain amount with Mabel for her up set up shop

Oct 25, 2017
I've hit three mystery islands since I started this game out of maybe thirty trips with a fruit that wasn't native to mine (oranges are native to my island).

All three times, they were apple islands.

I also got apples from "mom" on my second day. Are fruits like flowers, in which you have a primary and a secondary type?

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Unlocked terraforming today and I don't know how I feel about it. Paths are cool, but the larger stuff feels like a bit much to me.

I guess I'm wrestling with the fact that this AC feels like it has a total lack of permanence and that's kind of getting under my skin. It doesn't feel like I'm improving and building around an existing thing, it feels like I'm creating it wholesale, which is less immediately compelling to me. It's like the difference between building a treehouse, or cutting the tree down and building a house. They gave so much control to the player, even in regards to who lives in/leaves your village, where they live, where buildings are etc. that all of it feels like a theme park creation of an AC village, rather than a real AC village.

I'm hoping that now I can just kind of play it more naturally, the way I've always played AC, but I dunno. Something kind of snapped today when I walked over to a bend in my river that had been a slight inconvenience and just...got rid of it. I miss it now. I regret not just living with it.

I hear what you're saying, but this is a classic case of "if you don't like it don't use it". The game will function normally without it. No sense in taking away the ability from people who have been asking for it when those who don't want it can just opt not to use it.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
Anyone else running into a problem finding different fruit? I started with orangwa
In the game. I have probably traveled to a dozen different islands in the game and all I come across is more oranges. I have never seen cherries, apples, pears or peaches. Every island has coconuts and I have seen some bamboo trees but the fruit itself is always oranges. This has to be some sort of glitch. The odds of it happening by chance would be astronomical.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I get this, but you have the choice to NOT get rid of that sort of thing. The game is as permanent as you want it to be. Some people prefer to change things up to keep it interesting, and they had no way to do that in previous AC games.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
Anyone else running into a problem finding different fruit? I started with oranges
In the game. I have probably traveled to a dozen different islands in the game and all I come across is more oranges. I have never seen cherries, apples, pears or peaches. Every island has coconuts and I have seen some bamboo trees but the fruit itself is always oranges. This has to be some sort of glitch. The odds of it happening by chance would be astronomical.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Seems the official guide book from Future Press got delayed. I thought it was softcover but the official pictures of the book look like a hardcover book.

I bought it initially for the list of all Animal, their birthdays, and all of the nice new artwork for them. Probably will go over an entire years worth of events such as the various holidays.

I don't think Animal Crossing needs a guide because it's the kind of game that you do what you want on a day to day basis, but the spreadsheet info such as Seasonal Fish and Bugs, the time when they can be caught and the shadow sizes seems like all relevant and good information.

Ghostmaster

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else running into a problem finding different fruit? I started with oranges
You can only find your native fruit and one more random one on the islands (not including the coconut), the rest you'll have to get from other players.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
You can only find your native fruit and one more random one on the islands (not including the coconut), the rest you'll have to get from other players.
Hmm. Okay. But I have not run into any other fruit at all. I did get cherries from my daughter. Guess I need to find other people to play with. That's certainly a strange design choice.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I hear what you're saying, but this is a classic case of "if you don't like it don't use it". The game will function normally without it. No sense in taking away the ability from people who have been asking for it when those who don't want it can just opt not to use it.
I get this, but you have the choice to NOT get rid of that sort of thing. The game is as permanent as you want it to be. Some people prefer to change things up to keep it interesting, and they had no way to do that in previous AC games.
Yeah, I knew this would be the response to it. It doesn't change the way I feel, but I know you guys are right. Knowing I can change stuff and that no choice is permanent is a mental thing more than it is an issue with the game, I get that.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Wanted to place a stair thingy but there's no way to place it sideways with my current setup of upper areas :( I don't want to have it straight up, this looks stupid. Need to wait for terraforming it seems :(

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck yes, I just scored Naomi on a Nook Miles island for my snooty villager! This is the only cow/bull design I really like. She's like an over-the-top haute couture cow. :D

latest

Oct 25, 2017
So I own 2 switch with digital copies. My wife plays on lite and I play on the primary offline, so she can play. Do I have to he online for the event to work or was it only to download some kind of update and that was it?

You don't need to be offline.
Just different profiles
My son has a lite I have an OG. He plays on his lite under his profile I play on mine under my profile. I paid for Nintendo online family plan and we can pay online together and visit each other also FYI

Ghostmaster

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. So you have to go online to get all fruits, then.

You should be able to get all fruits while playing by yourself and not going to other players' islands. Boo to that if true.
It is possible that somewhere down the line you could get them in a mail like the other fruit from some NPC. But so far that hasn't been the case.

Maybe someone who has time-travelled knows more, but yeah nook ticker islands are a no go so far.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018

You sure about that? I started with cherries, then was sent pears in the mail right off the bat. Last night I went to an island with like 50 peaches though.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
You sure about that? I started with cherries, then was sent pears in the mail right off the bat. Last night I went to an island with like 50 peaches though.

Yeah my native fruit is oranges, and the very first day I was given apples by a letter from my "Mom", and I found peaches on a Nook Island.

It is possible that somewhere down the line you could get them in a mail like the other fruit from some NPC. But so far that hasn't been the case.

Maybe someone who has time-travelled knows more, but yeah nook ticker islands are a no go so far.

In the old games if you mailed fruits as a gift to your villagers, they could mail different fruits back in return. This could also work in New Horizons.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
So how does the money tree actually work and are they worth it? I planted 10k bells the other day and the following day planted 10k again, but they doesnt seem to grow or show any money after 3 days. Does it take longer?

Ghostmaster

Oct 25, 2017
The mailed fruit is random, if you are lucky you can get a different one than your native +1 random nook island fruit(+coconut which every island has)

But in theory from now on you will only encounter cherries and peaches on nook islands

Oct 27, 2017
There's a chance that in the time between inviting someone to your island and them actually moving in, someone can claim the empty lot as their own.
I'm really, really regretting building a plot ahead of time. I built one for my first camper, Shep, and got so excited I went and built another. I thought I had control over who moved in and have Goldie's amiibo card ready and waiting. Now I'm resigned to someone randomly coming along and snagging the house.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to craft some sort of resouces storing box?
I'm having to dump all my wood, stone, clay etx on the floor just to keep it out of my inventery.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
The bunny day eggs are already starting to get annoying. Its nearly impossible to catch fish, and mystery islands are not spared. As a consolation I did get the money rock island for the first time. Hitting all rocks fully is about 95k bells.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yo.

Didn't even realize you can just place down a DIY station on the overworld from your inventory.

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
Damn my wife keeps getting all the animals I want...Is there a way to kidnap these animals? I need zucker in my life!

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they eventually add in a way to visit other people's islands not in real time, but like just as a way to walk around and admire them.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Storage in home. That is if you already have the home and not the tent. Also you can redeem miles for more storage
Yeah but that means you have to go into the house just to open the storage and take the items out and go and craft.
Unless you can craft straight from the storage, in which case problem solved.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yo.

Didn't even realize you can just place down a DIY station on the overworld from your inventory.

Yeah, it's a good idea to have some around your island, so you don't waste time running back to the resident center or your home. I wish you could also craft a storage box to put next to the workstations so you don't always have to run home to access your storage. As it is now, I just have tons of materials lying on the ground near my workstations. And I think that causes less spawning of bugs or other things on the island because there's an excess of objects in the game world.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
The bunny day eggs are already starting to get annoying. Its nearly impossible to catch fish, and mystery islands are not spared. As a consolation I did get the money rock island for the first time. Hitting all rocks fully is about 95k bells.

Yeah I'm over it. CJ is in town and I'm trying to sell him lots of fish while he's here, but it seems like 75% of catches are eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.