• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

durrrklin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Best Coast
FukUckH.jpg

Annabelle is moving out of my town. If anyone is interested in having her move into your own town, let me know and open up my gates.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
went to a mystery island in hopes of catching a stringfish there, but no fish are spawning up at the cliff :|

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
went to a mystery island in hopes of catching a stringfish there, but no fish are spawning up at the cliff :|
I'm having the same problem, I went in catching stringfish and now pockets are full of sturgeons
Gonna quote my post from earlier:

I've been going at it for 3 days and I finally caught it last night. Only took me 30-45 minutes using a new stragety, after spending almost 4 hours on it on a deserted island before that. What I ended up doing was going to a Nook Miles island which pretty much existed entirely out of cliff. So there was almost no water on the bottom floor at all. The stringfish spawns on cliffs (doesn't have to be the top one, as long as it's a cliff). There's one type of island that's entirely cliff (2 stories in total) where you can run along the river and hop across it with your pole when fish spawn, to easily scare them away fast. This works way faster (since there's a bigger body of water where the fish can spawn) than the one cliff island or your own island.

Still took me a good 30 minutes for it to spawn, but as I said, I've been trying to catch it for 3 days now. I probably spent around 10 hours (+ almost 100 bait) in those 3 days trying to catch the damn thing, lol. I'll take 30 minutes.

--------------------------------------------------

About to find out what happens if you stay in the shop after closing time. Also, does anyone want a race car bed?

Open up a shopping window if you want to keep listening to the music

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Mabel has come to visit my town, and my cherry trees have sprouted, so I'll open up for folks who want/need any. My Dodo Code is 3M63S Closed Now! Most of my fruit trees are on the left of my island, make sure to bring a pole vault if you want them.

oEJ9OiC.jpg
RzDdeBn.jpg

Here's my Nook's Cranny today as well (native fruit is pears):
FUyphQM.jpg
VGaN6dF.jpg

Don't need anything in return, though Bells are always appreciated. Gonna be mostly afk and doing other stuff, lounging in front of the gate.

Last edited:

Malakiax

Oct 25, 2017
Mabel has come to visit my town, and my pear/cherry trees have sprouted, so I'll open up for folks who want/need any. My Dodo Code is 3M63S. Most of my fruit trees are on the left of my island, make sure to bring a pole vault if you want them.

oEJ9OiC.jpg
RzDdeBn.jpg

Here's my Nook's Cranny today as well:
FUyphQM.jpg
VGaN6dF.jpg

Don't need anything in return, though Bells are always appreciated. Gonna be mostly afk and doing other stuff, lounging in front of the gate.
Need that suit.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
yesss just set aside a few hours to try for stringfish and got it first time! though I have been trying for the last few nights..

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Finished paying off my loan. Decided to buy a house immediately afterwards. Upgraded the NookMiles app and got the museum being constructed. Am starting to see tarantulas and hunt them. Had Shy visit and gift me lots of things, as well as run around and take pictures! Current goals are to make that BREAD and start figuring out how I want my island. I got a few themed ideas. Hopefully I can realize them!

Also, I assume you can't move the villagers' houses?

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are the mystery islands randomly generated but using a set series of templates, or is there just a set amount of them? Noticed a lot of people saying they've been to similar/same islands.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Finished paying off my loan. Decided to buy a house immediately afterwards. Upgraded the NookMiles app and got the museum being constructed. Am starting to see tarantulas and hunt them. Had Shy visit and gift me lots of things, as well as run around and take pictures! Current goals are to make that BREAD and start figuring out how I want my island. I got a few themed ideas. Hopefully I can realize them!

You can, but you have to be farther along island development wise.

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017

You can move pretty much everything but the plaza, eventually.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

You can move everything except the Residence Center once it's upgraded and Isabelle comes to your island.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You can, but you have to be farther along island development wise.
You can move pretty much everything but the plaza, eventually.
You can move everything except the Residence Center once it's upgraded and Isabelle comes to your island.
YES! This is all I needed to know!

My central idea requires getting Sterling's house a little bit further down on the beach.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I just bought this game, but haven't played an Animal Crossing yet. I wanted to set the clock back to release date, so I can catch up to everyone, does that sound feasible? Is it pointless?

I heard something about bugs and fish that would go away soon so that was part of the incentive to set the console clock to March 20.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Looks like they kick you out immediately haha

I just bought this game, but haven't played an Animal Crossing yet. I wanted to set the clock back to release date, so I can catch up to everyone, does that sound feasible? Is it pointless?

I heard something about bugs and fish that would go away soon so that was part of the incentive to set the console clock to March 20.

It would be pointless. There is no "catching up" really. You're just playing the game at your own past. Those fish you didn't see will be back next year if you missed them because you got the game late. A week is nothing in Animal Crossing. This isn't aimed towards you, but it seems like the online has made everyone want to complete everything ASAP. The game is meant to be played slowly for a year or more. I wouldn't let other people's progress affect the way you play.

Last edited:

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Today was the first day Mabel showed up for me. She had this sweet tiger t shirt so of course I had to buy it, I just watched Tiger King so it's perfect.

I immediately changed in to it and it was very long, and it removed my denim pants. Checked again and saw it was actually called "tiger face few dress."

Kinda made me like it even more, been running around in it all day.

EUKjP5LU8AAsB3-

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, we're seven days in. I still don't even have the Mabel Sisters unlocked. I think it's hard to argue the breadth of content when the only people who've even kind of seen it all are cheating.

What features are missing at a week in that we had after a week in New Leaf? The Dream Suite and ability to sell stuff to your villagers sometimes maybe if you got lucky?
We had nearly a year of information due to the Japanese release of new leaf preceding the rest of us. I think that's making a difference compared to now. New Leaf was also attacked for being a slow start, but looking at it even a year later it looks like a different game. Hoping the same is true here too. Really feeling pessimistic and hoping to eat crow, but holidays being gated leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
Looks like they kick you out immediately haha

It would be pointless. There is no "catching up" really. You're just playing the game at your own past. Those fish you didn't see will be back next year if you missed them because you got the game late. A week is nothing in Animal Crossing. This isn't aimed towards you, but it seems like the online has made everyone want to complete everything ASAP. The game is meant to be played slowly for a year or more. I wouldn't let other people's progress affect the way you play.

Thank you for the response. Like I said, I've never played Animal Crossing before, and wanted to just try something different than what I'm used to playing, just wanted to make sure theirs no recommended or ideal way to start that I would have regretted. Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Have Celeste in town so I think I'm getting meteor showers

Wait around for a bit and start fishing. See a shooting star and can't wish on it in time

Rush to the top of my island to wait for more

23 minutes later nothing is happening

Disappointing :(

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I played like five days and I'm already struggling to come back to the game, an issue I never had with New Leaf. I get what you're saying, it does feel like a lot of the charm is lacking and the game is kind of lonely. I'm not as engaged with the world which makes the busy work more tedious. I assume things get better as your Island grows but yeah.
This is how I feel about the game too.
I'm on day five or six now, and reached a point where I have to build or buy eighteen different items to progress any further, at which point I switched the game off. I think I'm done with it.
There are parts that I've been enjoying, but it seems to be doubling down on the things that I didn't like about previous AC games with things like the Nook Miles+ program and being forced into gathering resources and crafting to progress.

The hourly music unlocks when the Resident Services upgrades
I think this was a mistake. Do it for the first day or two maybe, but I've already been playing the game muted while watching or listening other stuff now. It's a mindless grind for materials I'm only half-paying attention to.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
We don't know if Leif is a limited time event NPC or is being added in concurrently with earth day.

Personally, I think it's likely we'll a bunch of small expansions in addition to events

Like the gyroid update
black market update
cafe update
swimming update
and so forth
Really targeting the Sims fans.

Wallet is open, I guess....

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I thought the mystery islands didn't have other fruits, I thought they were all native and got one with oranges, while my island's native fruit are apples

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Tarantula warfare has changed. On Spider Island now for the first time, and have had 3 of them aggro at the same time. Been having to peel them off by hopping across the water, though a few times I catch one and the rest gank me.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Well it took awhile, but I finally found three yellow islanders (Joey, Annabelle, Daisy) to recruit to my town. My starting villagers (Tammy and Tybalt) and airport are also yellow so I've decided to commit to the theme. Now I can finally work on moving them in.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Make some fish bait with manila clams if you have the shovel.
unfortunately there were no manila clams on the island! it was kinda weird haha. not sure if all mystery islands are like that.

I'm having the same problem, I went in catching stringfish and now pockets are full of sturgeons
nice! only ended up with 2 sturgeons and a pocket full of koi and football fish. good luck on the search.

Did you despawn the fish at the river?
yeah, but no results up top :/

Gonna quote my post from earlier:
sweet! thanks. hopefully i'll come across this island type. i went through so much bait on my main island that i can't do anymore of that business tonight haha.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
The houses some of the animals have look so cool.
Do we know if we'll eventually be able to make our houses look like those? I imagine yes, but yeah, hopefully....!

Status
Not open for further replies.