• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
WTF. Im on an island, and in the water regions, there is only bar fish, plenty and fast spawn, but just bar!

Oct 27, 2017
We've seen what's in the base game though, and I don't see how long time fans wouldn't have any reservations about the GaaS route the game has taken.

Like, has anything besides seasonal events been announced or even hinted at? We know certain unique npcs are being reused for temporary events.
Well they literally said in the Direct Mini there'd be another update in April for the Earth Day event plus newly added features

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Any ETA on when Nintendo will make the names:

"Jodi"
"Jodie"
"Jody"

Viable as player names? Literally can't even get past the "what's your name?" section without it telling me that I've used a flagged term or some bullshit.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saharah is on my island today. Only allowed to get two mysterious wallpapers and two mysterious carpets per visit and three different rug sizes. That's pretty fair

And it's cool to know that more than one resident can sing at the campground at the same time

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
any fish is more likely to generate on another island just due to the fact that they are smaller and have less fish spawned at any given time.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Is it true that stringfish are more likely to generate on a deserted island?
No, but kinda yes.

The way this stuff works is that an island has a certain amount of fish it can spawn. Let's say 5. When five fish are spawned, there won't spawn a sixth one until one of the 5 is gone. What you have to do is despawn(/scare away) other fish until a big one that might be the stringfish appears. Because those Nook Miles islands are so small, fish spawn much closer together, which makes is way faster to despawn all the other fish, and spawn new fish. So they aren't more likely to generate on one of those islands, you just run through the pool of fish much faster.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did two mystery tours today...both on rainy islands so I got a snail and wharf roach. And right before I left, BAM, a Coelacanth! Also got the Cast Master Achievement!

Second island had an island of money rocks...scores 50,000 some so now I paid off my first expansion loan and built a back room. Neat!

Now to get like 200,000 more to get a ramp up so it makes getting to where the stringfish spawns less tedious.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I... 🥺

EUJ8ZfSUEAIl8Q4

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just gonna be honest...I'm not sure non-native fruits exist on random islands lol.

I have now used around 20 Nook Mile tickets, and had a couple bamboo islands and the rest, all my native fruit :(
Beyond. Frustrating.
Make it rare, sure. But this rare is ludicrous!
I eventually found oranges on one. Pears are my native fruit. its just really rare.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Plot twist: Pau is filming a new Lost season and that's why we can't left her island.
A Dharma logo would look pretty good at the entrance...

I didn't expect so many people to visit! I'm sorry that it might be basically unplayable. I'm not sure what the best way to organize people coming in and out is. I might just have people PM me what they want ordered and just place it all near the entrance.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
No, but kinda yes.

The way this stuff works is that an island has a certain amount of fish it can spawn. Let's say 5. When five fish are spawned, there won't spawn a sixth one until one of the 5 is gone. What you have to do is despawn(/scare away) other fish until a big one that might be the stringfish appears. Because those Nook Miles islands are so small, fish spawn much closer together, which makes is way faster to despawn all the other fish, and spawn new fish. So they aren't more likely to generate on one of those islands, you just run through the pool of fish much faster.

Thanks for the explanation. Going insane trying to get a stringfish, it's the last March critter I need.

Scary_Larry

Banned
Jan 3, 2019
Can I play this with my wife on the same Switch console or do we each have to have one? I'd be nice if we can both have a character to play at the same time and build things together.

Oct 25, 2017
Loving every minute so far. My only issue is a personal one which is that the hourly music is good but it's missing something that made the other soundtracks special. I can still hum songs from the previous games but I feel these ones will be forgotten.

Of course this is based on the hours I've heard so far which is almost all day from 8-8.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
Tip for leaving: Use the Minus button and it should give you an option to leave no matter where you are!

Pro tip, never open your island to everyone on era.
This is a mess.
For real. I'm just sitting here doing homework with the Switch next to me. I imagine people are moving about five feet before someone else leaves or comes in...

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Man, I really am growing tired of this shit. I want to move my home but I'm not entirely sure exactly where I want to put it because I want to test the limitations of landscaping/waterscaping. And I want to build like 2 bridges and 3 inclines but I can only build 1 per day. And I just built a campground yesterday but nobody's here today, so I've got to keep waiting for someone to show up. I wasn't planning on time traveling but man, I'm sick of all this waiting.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
I searched and didn't see anyone else asking, apologies if already asked - and please note this is minor.

I, like many others, just got Resident Services remodeled today in addition to a house upgradeI got a letter in my mailbox this morning from the Happy Home Academy that said -

"Congratulations! To celebrate the new addition to your home, please accept this small gift.You'll need convenient electronic appliances in your upgraded home!"

But no present attached! Anyone else have this or get something similar? I just want to make sure I'm not missing a unique item. Thanks!

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Man, I really am growing tired of this shit. I want to move my home but I'm not entirely sure exactly where I want to put it because I want to test the limitations of landscaping/waterscaping. And I want to build like 2 bridges and 3 inclines but I can only build 1 per day. And I just built a campground yesterday but nobody's here today, so I've got to keep waiting for someone to show up. I wasn't planning on time traveling but man, I'm sick of all this waiting.

the campsite is actually the first time I've been bummed about progression—is the camper guaranteed the day after the campsite gets set up or is it just completely random?? I wanna start going back to islands and finding villagers again!

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you can both have individual characters on the same island. playing at the same time is cute but pointless for the second player. playing at different times is better but people are pissed that only the first player can cause the progression early on.

over here, we're having fun with it. i set everything up and she played for a long time today. i feel like a lot of the anger over the multiple people on the same island "single player" content will amount to one person having access to the tutorial in a few weeks, but whatever.

if you're sharing an island and you're the "first representative" or whatever, just don't mine your shared island for all it's worth every morning. leave your co inhabitants something to do. they'll get hooked just the same.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Thanks for the explanation. Going insane trying to get a stringfish, it's the last March critter I need.
I've been going at it for 3 days and I finally caught it last night. Only took me 30-45 minutes using a new stragety, after spending almost 4 hours on it on a deserted island before that. What I ended up doing was going to a Nook Miles island which pretty much existed entirely out of cliff. So there was almost no water on the bottom floor at all. The stringfish spawns on cliffs (doesn't have to be the top one, as long as it's a cliff). There's one type of island that's entirely cliff (2 stories in total) where you can run along the river and hop across it with your pole when fish spawn, to easily scare them away fast. This works way faster (since there's a bigger body of water where the fish can spawn) than the one cliff island or your own island.

Still took me a good 30 minutes for it to spawn, but as I said, I've been trying to catch it for 3 days now. I probably spent around 10 hours (+ almost 100 bait) in those 3 days trying to catch the damn thing, lol. I'll take 30 minutes.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else have Erik..? He's fucking terrifying. Dude talks to bugs at night, my girlfriend and I die laughing and he's been the highlight of our villagers. He loves snack time and has a fuckin' hole in the ground in his house where he keeps bugs and he feeds them snacks. He says they talk to him and tell him things, he even learns stuff about the other villagers and us through them.

He's even a flight risk, he told a story about how he was on a plane and wanted to eat the clouds because they looked like cotton candy, and he was trying to open the door, but only was able to after the plane landed.

He also quipped about a fossil saying he wants to also dig up old dead things.

We think of this meme with Erik but with bugs

pspsps.jpg

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Hmm I had someone show up the day the camp opened. Have you been placing outdoor items and weeding? Nook said to do that so I assume there's some hidden quota to make campers appear.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017

Just put my campsite down. Should I start a construction project today? I'm not understanding why you're unable to build, you have to wait for a villager to show up to camp..?

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
My island has cherries. I've gone to ~18 random islands with Nook Miles tickets. 15 of them have had cherries and 3 have had apples. Is there a way to improve the odds of getting other fruits?

plus

Oct 25, 2017
how long do people usually wait for shooting stars? celeste showed up in my town and I talked to her and I'm looking at the sky unobstructed without items like she said. But its been like 30 min and still nothing

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Pau That was a wild ride, lol. Thanks for having me over! Left a little something in return for the office wallpaper. Took a stack of free wood as well and on top of that I was able to buy the paper bag mask I wanted.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you're not going to get anything other than apples (or bamboo) from nook miles tickets. at this point the nook miles islands have two fruit options: your home fruit and the other rarer fruit the game has assigned your nook miles islands.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Question:

If I create an island on my primary account and become the island representative. Then I create a second Switch account, and play as the 2nd islander on Animal Crossing not as the island representative. And throughout the entire time, I'm the only one playing the Switch.

I wanted to know what would happen to that 2nd account? Do you still act as if you're a dedicated villager on the island, but not as the person who progresses the island's development?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
how long do people usually wait for shooting stars? celeste showed up in my town and I talked to her and I'm looking at the sky unobstructed without items like she said. But its been like 30 min and still nothing
I've never seen them when I actively looked for them. Just run around your island doing whatever until you hear the shooting star sound (it's some kind of twinkle). Look up without a tool in your hand and press A when you see a shooting star.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018

they sort of come in bursts! Sometimes you have to wait for 30 mins for a shower in which a few spawn every minute or two for like 5-8 minutes.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
I closed the gate for now. If anyone else is interested in coming in, tag me or send me a PM.I'll try to keep it to only four people at a time.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't really get what i'm doing with the shouting stars but they're turning bright when i hold a. that's good?

Status
Not open for further replies.