• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Such a beautiful and relaxing game.

I've played so many hours already.

I sold my iron nuggets... so it's going to take me a day or two to get all of them lol

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Caught two Tarantulas on my island in a matter of 5 minutes, will sell these in the morning to get full profit!

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
The custom pro design editor is suupperr addicting. They've improved on it so much! I should be working towards my downpayment but who knew that making virtual clothes could be this much fun.
Don't know why people slept on this post, your designs are lovely!!!

(someone should make an animal crossing photo thread)
Actually, there's one: Animal Crossing New Horizons - Photo Sharing thread
Everyone should check it out.🤗

Are there any possible actions after eating a fruit besides breaking a rock and digging up a tree? Also, why would anyone want to break their rocks?
Maybe a rock gets in the way of your planned design, it disrupts your Island's ~aesthetic~, so you brake it to make room for whatever it is you wanna put in its place, or just to have the space clear up.

Quoting myself to see if I can get an answer. This thread moves fast lol.
No, you can't move rocks, not even with terraforming, I think.
You can brake then and hope they appear in a benefitial spot, after they respawn.

I'll be honest I'm quite sad. I've been looking forward to this for a while with it being the first AC I really wanted to try properly. I loved watching my fiancée play New Leaf but when I tried to get into it I couldn't but I think I just wanted a game like this on console. I really enjoy the gameplay but it's just not really that inviting for a second player on one system. The first player gets a bigger intro, gets to decide where all the villagers and all the buildings go, and gets to do all the gathering tasks for buildings. As a second player I don't get to do any of these things (excepting giving Blathers stuff to help him build the museum), I couldn't even give Timmy items to set up the shop (which was ironic since he says that they were asking residents to help them when it's only one resident). I'm still really enjoying fishing and designing my house but not being able to even supply items for stuff like this is a bit of a bummer, it sort of just feels like I'm hanging onto the edge of the island narrative. Maybe it gets better later but I'm feeling down about it and not that hopeful.
My only significant issue with the game is when sharing an island with others, only the town representative can progress key events/updates to the town.
The second player is essentially a step above an NPC. My girlfriend wants to help contribute to the new villagers' furniture, but she is unable to. She also doesn't get key DIY recipes from Nook.

This seems like a huge oversight from Nintendo's part. I hope this is patched in a future update.

Anyone else find this frustrating?
Yeah, that's the major bummer with the game right now, how it treats other players besides the Resident Representative like second class citizens. A possible work-around would be playing couch co-op. I think I read it here that two people can play the game using a digital copy, and two Switches? So that way, both can play together and contribute to the donations, and the Main Player can craft you the items you need from their recipes.

Is there a way to prevent trees from growing? I want them in baby size for my garden ;o)
Haha, I find "baby" trees adorable, too. I often use them in my gardens aswell.
I'm not sure if there's a specific method, but once the tree is in the growing stage, try hitting it with an axe, but be carefull not to cut it down!
In addition to that, try placing objects around it, tress need room to grow. Hope it works for you!

edit: I got some flowers too. No idea what I'm doing with them though lol
I wonder, have you heard of hybrid flowers and how to cultivate them?
if not, get ready to fall down a rabbit hole, haha. ; )

It's just that NH designs don't have a QR code for some weird reason. You can only import older designs.
I wonder if, as [another] work around for this, could be using that app that makes images into QR codes for scanning?
Like, take a screen-shot of the pro-desing, coverted it into QR by using the website, have others scan the code and wear it as clothes?

Anyone know if there's a difference in fish spawns between the first level of cliff and the second?
I don't think there's much difference fishing upstream or downstream, but do bear in mind that rainy days bring more fishes out, and some critters can only be caught in ponds, like frogs and skaterponds.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Very early on, you will be taught to eat fruit "to get things done fast". Don't make my mistake and think that's how you're supposed to mine rocks for ore. A lighter touch is needed.
Oh boy. This sounds like an ancien puzzle. Or like those moments in movies that go like "you'll lnow it when the time is right" haha. I'll be careful then, thanks!

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Looked at a few posts - nobody is down on this game? Across GC, WW, CF, and NL, the one constant I had was talking to villagers. Online was fun too after the GameCube.

There is nothing to do in New Horizons. 2 villagers instead of 5+. They have one sentence to say instead of 3+. Half of your total conversation time is just getting them to say something. The one sentence they say per interaction isn't interesting. Because there's only 2 villagers, there's way less chance to see other villagers interacting with each other, which gave the game flavor. The NPC tally is dismal.

GC:
5 villagers
Tom Nook
Able
Sable
Blathers

Side characters:
Copper
Booker
Pelly
Phyllis
K.K. Slider
Rover
Porter

This game has...
Tom Nook
2 nephews with the same personality
2 villagers
Dodo
Blathers (after you get the museum)
Gulliver (dunno what triggers him)

I'm guessing more characters will show up over time but this is dismal first impression. AC was already a light-touch game so there isn't room to go lighter.

"Play online", you might say. Online hinges around having stuff to do. In the old games I could hang out in the cafe, talk to 5+ villagers in a neighbor's town, buy stuff from Nook, see the museum, and check the observatory. All *on top of* what you can do in this game: fish, catch bugs, and once you get the pole, see the other half of your starting town.

You can say all you want that it's just a social sim, and what you do doesn't matter, but that excuse doesn't work in 2020. There are hundreds of free to play games where you can hang out and talk to friends. Outside the f2p space, Terraria, Stardew Valley, and Minecraft all seem to eat the lunch of the first few days of New Horizons - and I don't even particularly like those games.

As a near-lifelong fan of AC, this one hurts. I got a peek at what's coming to my island in the next day or two and it doesn't seem like it's anything major.

Heon

Oct 25, 2017
When Nook asks you to pick the 3 villager plots (rectangle inside a bigger rectangle), do the the villager plots actually get that large?

Or is their actual house the size of the smaller rectangle throughout the whole game?

Elliot Pudge

Oct 25, 2017
Looked at a few posts - nobody is down on this game? Across GC, WW, CF, and NL, the one constant I had was talking to villagers. Online was fun too after the GameCube.

There is nothing to do in New Horizons. 2 villagers instead of 5+. They have one sentence to say instead of 3+. Half of your total conversation time is just getting them to say something. The one sentence they say per interaction isn't interesting. Because there's only 2 villagers, there's way less chance to see other villagers interacting with each other, which gave the game flavor. The NPC tally is dismal.

you will have ten villagers

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Thanks again for having everyone over. That was a lot of fun (I was Kirby)!

Thanks for visiting :)

That was a lovely time, it must be one of the best sessions of AC Ive ever had, thanks for recieving us, it was amazing.

Also your island is amazing... so many horned residents, I wonder why... hmmm

it was unplanned, I promise :)
What, when did PirateBae have everyone over?
I've mostly been hanging with the NintendoEra Discord.

A little while ago! I'll do another one soon

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

GC:
5 villagers
Tom Nook
Able
Sable
Blathers

Side characters:
Copper
Booker
Pelly
Phyllis
K.K. Slider
Rover
Porter

This game has...
Tom Nook
2 villagers
Dodo

I'm guessing more characters will show up over time but this is dismal first impression. AC was already a light-touch game so there isn't room to go lighter.

"Play online", you might say. Online hinges around having stuff to do. In the old games I could hang out in the cafe, talk to 5+ villagers in a neighbor's town, buy stuff from Nook, see the museum, and check the observatory. All *on top of* what you can do in this game: fish, catch bugs, and once you get the pole, see the other half of your starting town.

You can say all you want that it's just a social sim, and what you do doesn't matter, but that excuse doesn't work in 2020. There are hundreds of free to play games where you can hang out and talk to friends. Outside the f2p space, Terraria, Stardew Valley, and Minecraft all seem to eat the lunch of the first few days of New Horizons - and I don't even particularly like those games.

As a near-lifelong fan of AC, this one hurts. I got a peek at what's coming to my island in the next day or two and it doesn't seem like it's anything major.

I had 5 villagers by the 3rd day. You fly to the mystery islands and each time you do there is a new person there that you can get to come to your town with a cap of 10. This game has more going on then the past games.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I want to share these with a friend, and there's no way to do it that I can find. I'm sort of addicted to the designer function.

i42EkV5.jpg

qoZ6WVX.jpg

That Ammy shirt is fire

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
I so rarely buy games at launch and have never plated Animal Crossing before but I decided to jump in. Really enjoying it so far even though all I've done is pick up weeds. I picked a weird looking island that I can only explore like 20% of because I don't have the thing to cross rivers. It makes my island more of a mystery for me so far.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018

GC:
5 villagers
Tom Nook
Able
Sable
Blathers

Side characters:
Copper
Booker
Pelly
Phyllis
K.K. Slider
Rover
Porter

This game has...
Tom Nook
2 villagers
Dodo

You're over reacting.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
I so rarely buy games at launch and have never plated Animal Crossing before but I decided to jump in. Really enjoying it so far even though all I've done is pick up weeds. I picked a weird looking island that I can only explore like 20% of because I don't have the thing to cross rivers. It makes my island more of a mystery for me so far.

Nice. The simple things in this game are enjoyable. I feel like day two and three it gets interesting.

For day 2 and beyond, If you get stuck with materials remember you can travel to a mystery island. Took me a while to figure that out lol

also adding a friends can improve the animal crossing experience. I visited my friend's island and we traded items and chatted. It was cool.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL

GC:
5 villagers
Tom Nook
Able
Sable
Blathers

Side characters:
Copper
Booker
Pelly
Phyllis
K.K. Slider
Rover
Porter

This game has...
Tom Nook
2 villagers
Dodo

I've spent more time per session on this game, than I have previous Animal Crossing games. I am spending more time exploring online with my friends. And I have more to do than I have ever had to do. And this is all considering that the point of this series is about the village/island growing and expanding WITH you over a long period of time.

This is the wildest of wild takes. This take is simply you complaining just for the sake of complaining.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

GC:
5 villagers
Tom Nook
Able
Sable
Blathers

Side characters:
Copper
Booker
Pelly
Phyllis
K.K. Slider
Rover
Porter

This game has...
Tom Nook
2 villagers
Dodo

I... don't understand this.

In past Animal Crossings, I felt like I had nothing much to do each day, even from the get-go. I usually played for about 15 minute sessions.

The sense of progression in NH is so. much. better. Crafting makes collecting materials hella fun. My play sessions so far average about 2.5 hours. I'm having a blast. I truly feel this is a huge step forward for the series.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know the extent of this? As a player 2 it has me worried. What will I miss out on, and are there ways around it?

When you get the task to make furniture for your new residents. Tom Nook gives you a ton of DIY recipes. As far as I know, as a second player there is no way to get these recipes. Some can be bought at Nook's Cranny perhaps but not everything. Also, it seems the other villagers will never give a second player presents. I hope this can be patched. It really sucks for the people that are sharing the game together.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
One last call before heading out. If any of you have orders available, I'm willing to pay 100k for each KK album tomorrow. I have Faire, Dixie, and D&B.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When you get the task to make furniture for your new residents. Tom Nook gives you a ton of DIY recipes. As far as I know, as a second player there is no way to get these recipes. Some can be bought at Nook's Cranny perhaps but not everything. Also, it seems the other villagers will never give a second player presents. I hope this can be patched. It really sucks for the people that are sharing the game together.
Welp. Hopefully the GF can gift anything essential that I'd want for now. Definitely hope this gets updated, but doesn't really sound like the kind of thing that gets changed.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Hopefully the GF can gift anything essential that I'd want for now. Definitely hope this gets updated, but doesn't really sound like the kind of thing that gets changed.

Basically, I've been sending my GF letters in the mail with a list of all furniture/materials that needs to be made/collected. In return, I get her manual labor, and I don't even need to pay her anything. I'm essentially a middle man between her and Nook Inc.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, you can't move rocks, not even with terraforming, I think.
You can brake then and hope they appear in a benefitial spot, after they respawn.

So they always do respawn? Does each island have like a set amount of rocks or something? I have two rocks right next to each other in a place I wanna build. Which is GREAT.

Also while I'm at it, besides doing this, is there any reason to break a rock?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Oh by the way. Don't be an idiot like I was and simply pick fruit off the tree when visiting a random island. Take the whole tree back home with you instead!

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Some photos of today.

ETxVvYuU0AAGLWQ

ETxVzcdU8AE4Rc5

ETxV98bU4AEcglc

Finally caught an Orefish!

And was fishing for like an hour and a half

ETxVqYnUEAI9Zqy

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
So they always do respawn? Does each island have like a set amount of rocks or something? I have two rocks right next to each other in a place I wanna build. Which is GREAT.

Also while I'm at it, besides doing this, is there any reason to break a rock?
Maybe a rock gets in the way of your planned design, it disrupts your Island's ~aesthetic~, so you brake it to make room for whatever it is you wanna put in its place, or just to have the space clear up.
Besides for inconvenient location, I think you get some clay rock after it brakes? But obviously is far better to keep the rock for farming.

superpickleman

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game made being quarantined at home very bearable. I've missed AC so much, glad it back and in great form too!

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
The rare fish and bugs on my island start to appear around now, although pretty rare until later.
If I was to send out a dodo code, would people visit?
Is that even a wise idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.