• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you have an object on top of another one is there a way to interact with the bottom object? I have a fireplace with a couple things on top, but there is no way to light the fireplace when I have two objects on top so I have to leave one blank (or remove an object, use the bottom one, then put the object back).

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a ton of iron nuggets and I'm on like my 2nd day. Are people destroying their rocks or something? Or not visiting mystery islands?

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm a little put back by this. I think I'm going to wait one more day before asking for the house. It's crazy to me how the whole pitch has been tents on a deserted island and on day 3 you can have a house.

Yeah :/

If the tool ring wasn't locked behind Nook Miles+ (which, let's be honest, it shouldn't be) then I would have waited to upgrade too. I just wish there were like, 3 levels of tent first, than a more DIY home. Tent, Deluxe Tent, Luxury Tent, Cabin, Home. The game would have to be rebalanced around that though so this is just a thought experiment.

Link Gray

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah destoryed a few rocks before I realized it was the stamina thing breaking them and not the tools I was using.

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I have a ton of iron nuggets and I'm on like my 2nd day. Are people destroying their rocks or something? Or not visiting mystery islands?

Some folks might not be doing the whole "dig holes behind you so you aren't pushed back" trick, so they only get like two or three things from each rock. My RNG luck with Iron Nuggets hasn't been the best myself, even though I've hit each rock for the maximum amount of hits two days straight (though since I work today, I don't really have time to use Nook Miles to head to a different island, and even that can be RNG based as to if you get an island with lots of rocks or whatever else you need).

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Much like a lot of games from Nintendo and Japan (smash bros, Pokémon, monster hunter, etc) there's trade offs, but mostly I think I'm enjoying the new progression. Feels like we're building the town that you would just start with in the original Animal Crossing on Gamecube.

Some small things are missing, or maybe they'll be patched in?

- No barefoot footprints on beaches (was in New Leaf)
- emote system and inventory are going to be inherently worse compared to the second screen of New Leaf (emote radial menu is a blight compared to the complex emotion-sentences you could make in New Leaf)
- they added instruments you can play, but when playing multiplayer on the same Switch only the "leader" can have an instrument out
- also, animals only react to the emotes from the "leader"
- controls in general (walking and running) feel way more stilted and sluggish, but you can now 'squeeze' through tight spaces and hop over holes.
- particle system is hit/miss. When running and slamming in opposite direction sand used to get kicked up and if it went into water it would cause ripples, now it's just a dusty cloud effect with no physicality.
- so far a lot less interactions with the animals, but I assume those will ramp up as the first week seems to just be tutorial drip feed, much like New Leaf but even more so.
- tools and diy recipes in general are inconsistent. Some you get and have to use to learn, others you get and instantly learn, others you get learned via using a phone app-get animation, etc. I'm sad some things are still not interact-able, such as a ring toss game that is just stationary
- can sit on rocks, but need to make rock furniture to place outside to be rock seating.

Honestly hoping the online update system leads to lots of QoL and details being added - especially details that were in prior games, but are absent now...

Hoping after a full year the online gating for holiday events also ends because that spells doom otherwise to me. I STILL play New Leaf AND the original game. If this continues to rely on servers, then when those inevitably go down, it's a damaged product - see Wild World and City Folk as they no longer have online play.
Thank you for all that info, it's very helpful.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Can me and my partner play this game together using the 2 joycons that come with the Switch, or do we need two full controller setups (i.e. a pro controller and two joycons or something similar?)

banter

Jan 12, 2018
First time player,
so does everything new unlock at midnight or do i have to wait 24 hours?
5am is when new days begin.

Day 3 is a lot of work if you want everything done that day. Solid 3 hours or so of
clearing weeds and such from the cliff areas, building furniture for new residents, building bridges, and the normal daily things like fossils, etc.

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
I'm just fishing in the rain in the hopes of catching a coelacanth and I reeled in an oar fish. It's humungous! xD

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy. Day 2 done. Paid off my home loan, took out another. Visited 2 Islands, invited 2 animals. Got the museum work started. Found some cool fossils, grabbed like the biggest fish, had 10,000 bells and a bunk bed fall from the sky... Had a lot of fun, in all.

The best part of the day was my 3 year old grabbing the controller and having a go at it. I was surprised how easily he took to the controls. He'd laugh uncontrollably while entering and exiting the airport - - he thought it was the funniest thing ever!

Eager to start day 3.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know the answer to this one?

My partner and I bought separate digital copies and we have one Switch and one Switch lite. Mine is on the regular, his is on the lite. Can we upload saved data and play on the other consoles with our own islands?

Oct 27, 2017
Much like a lot of games from Nintendo and Japan (smash bros, Pokémon, monster hunter, etc) there's trade offs, but mostly I think I'm enjoying the new progression. Feels like we're building the town that you would just start with in the original Animal Crossing on Gamecube.

Some small things are missing, or maybe they'll be patched in?

- No barefoot footprints on beaches (was in New Leaf)
- emote system and inventory are going to be inherently worse compared to the second screen of New Leaf (emote radial menu is a blight compared to the complex emotion-sentences you could make in New Leaf)
- they added instruments you can play, but when playing multiplayer on the same Switch only the "leader" can have an instrument out
- also, animals only react to the emotes from the "leader"
- controls in general (walking and running) feel way more stilted and sluggish, but you can now 'squeeze' through tight spaces and hop over holes.
- particle system is hit/miss. When running and slamming in opposite direction sand used to get kicked up and if it went into water it would cause ripples, now it's just a dusty cloud effect with no physicality.
- so far a lot less interactions with the animals, but I assume those will ramp up as the first week seems to just be tutorial drip feed, much like New Leaf but even more so.
- tools and diy recipes in general are inconsistent. Some you get and have to use to learn, others you get and instantly learn, others you get learned via using a phone app-get animation, etc. I'm sad some things are still not interact-able, such as a ring toss game that is just stationary
- can sit on rocks, but need to make rock furniture to place outside to be rock seating.

Honestly hoping the online update system leads to lots of QoL and details being added - especially details that were in prior games, but are absent now...

Hoping after a full year the online gating for holiday events also ends because that spells doom otherwise to me. I STILL play New Leaf AND the original game. If this continues to rely on servers, then when those inevitably go down, it's a damaged product - see Wild World and City Folk as they no longer have online play.

I feel animal interaction is far better than NL. If you compare both, in NL you usually get the same dialogue (or maybe 2), repeated over and over. NH provides way more dialogue, options for the player and cute interactions between Animals and players. I think it's on par with CF or WW, not GC levels, but certainly closer than NL did

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
I'm enjoying the game but I hope a random developer comes around and pulls a Temtem with it.

The online coop experience is such a hassle and filled with absolutely every design choice possible to discourage playing together. Let alone the insane wait times to get in and leave and all of the restrictions on what you can and can't do while playing with friends.

It's pretty disappointing but I don't know why I expected this of all things to be good online. It's Nintendo we're talking about.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been visiting islands all day....didn't realise you could invite people back to yours ffs.

Spoke to them once instead of twice, bit of a daft system tbh.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
People trying to speedrun animal crossing lol.

This is a game you can't finish over the weekend, just relax for a couple hours a day.

Oct 25, 2017
I keep hearing a bug, sounds like a cricket, during the day, but I don't see it. It's as if it's hiding behind trees or buildings. I swat the next endlessly and can't find it. I've shook the trees and it never falls down. What am I hearing and how do I get it?

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ok I'm probably just being a simpleton but its been a hard week and I'm still feeling dopey.
I just spent an hour making some pixel art for my daughter to have on clothes and suchlike *cough, frozen II, cough* , I pasted it on the ground as a test and now I'm not sure how to get rid of it :)

Any Ideas?

[edit] Oh good god, I'm an idiot, you can just kick dirt over it by pressing "Y", nothing to see, go about your business :)

Last edited:

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
I'm enjoying the game but I hope a random developer comes around and pulls a Temtem with it.

The online coop experience is such a hassle and filled with absolutely every design choice possible to discourage playing together. Let alone the insane wait times to get in and leave and all of the restrictions on what you can and can't do while playing with friends.

It's pretty disappointing but I don't know why I expected this of all things to be good online. It's Nintendo we're talking about.

My biggest cripe with the online is that you can't simply open up your island for anyone to visit. You either need someone on your friends list or share a dodo code. That's likes if all summon signs in Dark Souls were passcode only or if an online competitive game had passcode only lobbies. It makes no sense. Just give us the option nintendo.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
I keep hearing a bug, sounds like a cricket, during the day, but I don't see it. It's as if it's hiding behind trees or buildings. I swat the next endlessly and can't find it. I've shook the trees and it never falls down. What am I hearing and how do I get it?

I'd love to know this as well. It's not just an ambient sound effect surely?

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone sell me on this game? I look at it and it seems so goddamn boring but at the same time I like simulation games. It seems like a good coop game for me and my girlfriend as well. I've never played an AC before.
If you like other simulation games, then I am sure you will love Animal Crossing. I am a fan of Harvest Moon and Rune Factory but while they are relaxing games, I am often rushing against the clock to get all my chores done. New Horizons is go at your own pace and take your time. It's the perfect game to escape from real life and it has helped people who struggle with stress and anxiety, including me.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My wife bought a Switch just for this game. She's using my Nintendo Account in order to access online. She has no other games. Will this work? Does she have to be primary console in order to play online? Will it cause any issues on my account?

I need to answer this before she gets too deep into the game and doesn't want to start a new account if we have to create a new subscription for her.

N2BearHugs

May 29, 2018
I've been shattering rocks looking for Iron, but now learned you have to chip away at regular strength. Zelda has ruined me. No Shop building today...

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Anybody have some iron, or some rocks I can smack? Just need 11 to open my shop and want to get The Museum and The Shop started asap.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So on my second day none of my fruit grew back. Is that normal?

Also I still don't have the damn shovel or pole vault.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to know this as well. It's not just an ambient sound effect surely?

Happened to me one night, it's in a tree that took a bit to shake it out. Noise went away after I caught it.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Is there a way to pick items from your storage while being in a friend's island? I think you could do it in NL (either in that one or City Folk), but I haven't tested it in this one.

Changing topics, man, the things people do in this game. I've seen someone making his island like a Pokemon Route, while others... do this

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Hurrah, I set up 2 of the 3 homes for Nook, then went farming islands to see if I could find the materials for the last one and a good villager to occupy it, and on my last ticket I found Coco! Always wanted her in my town, never had her before.

Mole Cricket. Find the exact point where it sounds loudest, then dig and it'll pop out of the ground.

No, just getting garbage luck. I had to have a friend give me 15 to get Nook's Cranny because all I was getting was stone and like 1 iron per rock (and I was doing the hole trick to maximise them).

Status
Not open for further replies.